• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If it's an actual problem than it will be patched. I was just saying it's the same on the pro and the s which use checkboarding and why it doesn't happen on the x.

Nobody is downplaying them hitting 4k on the x but it doesn't mean that they can't fix a possible issue on the pro and s.

He had the /s on it!

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
RockStar achieving 4K on the X proves that many other games running sub 4K could probably run @ 4K with better optimization. Also, this makes me even more hyped for whatever MS is doing with Scarlet. They've really stepped it up in the engineering and design dept.

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
The game is already using what seems to be checkerboard 4K so it would look worse with checkerboard 1800p.

Maybe this'll help demonstrate better...

Here's what PS4 Pro looks like if you snap a still shot ONE FRAME after a camera cut...

(view in separate window for 1:1 pixel)

...and here it is a few frames later once the TAA has resolved.

I think the way they reconstruct just doesn't work that well with their TAA and it creates a strange looking game.

Damn, this is very disappointing... I practically cannot see any benefits over the PS4 base system. I am honest. Perhaps I am completely wrong but this game feels blurrier on the Pro than the base PS4.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The game is already using what seems to be checkerboard 4K so it would look worse with checkerboard 1800p.

Here's what PS4 Pro looks like if you snap a still shot ONE FRAME after a camera cut...

http:///0zXc.jpg

http:///1zXc.jpg

I think the way they reconstruct just doesn't work that well with their TAA and it creates a strange looking game.

Wow. Too much jittering on many branches and werid artefacts. Yeah lthey way they reconstructed the game and the TAA they used don't go along so well. I think any Native resolution would have better: a Native 1800p or even a native 1440p would eliminate such granular artefacts

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say that, if that's what you think that's on you. MS waited for the right tech to be ready at the right time and built there hardware accordingly.

That's why I can wait until 2020/21, I have no need or desire to get a new console anytime soon.

You implied it in your post:

The last thing the manufacturers should do is rush their hardware out the door just for the sake of it, MS were right to wait for the X.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what there is to even fix.

You guys act like the game looks like ass on the Pro just because it looks so much better on the X.

Seems appropriate to me.

Still looks great on the Pro.
nobody is acting like the game looks like crap on the pro, it looks great on both and it's impressive they hit 4k on X. Just if there is something they can adjust than hopefully they will if its possible.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Ok so who will serve me the crow?
In the thread about RDR2 being 4k on the X, I said that it's 100% not going to be native 4k and it will have dynamic resolution. It's not achievable on a huge game like this....

Kudos to Rockstar for making this possible!

Nephix

Nov 2, 2017
Part of me wants to run out and buy an X1X bundle, but I have it on preorder for €72 from PSN and Sony won't refund it so I'll be buying the game twice. :/
Definitely going with MS next gen in addition to my PC, really disappointed in Sony and PS4 besides the exclusives (of which I only really liked GOW).

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
LJn7KkI.jpg

4gwlxFP.jpg

t4BZb2r.jpg

XB1X looks so clean! And there is barely any difference between PS4 and Pro. What happened?

They have messed up PRO version, didn't they? Expected much bigger difference compared to base ps4. One X is to be expected btw. Good to see developers than fully utilize the power of the console.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wow. Too much jittering on many branches and werid artefacts. Yeah lthey way they reconstructed the game and the TAA they used don't go along so well. I think any Native resolution would have better: a Native 1800p or even a native 1440p would eliminate such granular artefacts

Even dynamic resolution would be better than the thing they are using here.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks pretty for the most part, but the bottom of the screen being so dark in all the footage is really bugging me. I already want to mod it out.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Is it just me or have Sony chased the 2160 resolution for the height a bit too hard, just to get that 4K sticker on the advertisements? Like wouldn't a 1440p, non checkerboarded resolution have been a way better middleground?

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I remember someone saying that the ps4 pro version would run better because of a marketing deal. Boy do I feel like a moran.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
"PS4/XB One have better overall performance than RDR1 had in 360/ps3 hardware. There are drops even to the low-mid 20s at some points though"

ugh god :( should have waited for PC.
Yeah its a bit shitty, but I'm sure it's few and far between. Can't wait for it to come to PC though, for unlock framerates

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
They don't say.

http:///0zXc.jpg

http:///1zXc.jpg

Arrgh.. don't like that one bit. But it's a split second, you say?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They have messed up PRO version, didn't they? Expected much bigger difference compared to base ps4. One X is to be expected btw. Good to see developers than fully utilize the power of the console.

Sure it's worth point out at this point, that the 2nd video is only in 1080p.
Taking screenshots of that video isn't going to show things in their best light as they may have been scaled a whole bunch of times

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
uh...isnt ps4 pro cheaper than the x?
released a full year earlier and $100 less.
The X is a very nice machine, but the Pro had (and still has) a definite spot as a 4Kpr machine that costs less money.
It is also likely that the X (and of course the Pro) will be rendered obsolete as "powerhouse consoles" within 6 to 12 months with the talk about the new gen ramping up (or if a really good port on PC is revealed before that, but of course that's no console).

# shrug.
Looks like I will enjoy playing this on my base PS4 anyways, 1080p (with a few slowdowns in busy areas) for such a game in 2018 is no small feat for a 2013 $399 hardware imo.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No game is trying to do what RDR2 is doing, clearly, judging by the reviews.

You simply cannot compare this game with anything else out there. So, no, the devs didn't "mess up".

The fact is, what you see is what you get. Theres no "secret sauce", "coding" or "patch" to fix whatever you think is "wrong" with the game.

Also, the Pro is pushing more pixels than the base PS4. While you think it looks somewhat similar its probably not the case on your TV from a comfortable distance.

Theres nothing "wrong" with what the developer did. It's less powerful hardware. It will look worse.

Not sure what's "wrong" about that

Kinda tiring that whenever a game looks appropriately and significantly better on X that the rhetoric instantly changes to "the devs messed up!".
I never read so much wrong post in my life. I never expected for pro to be superior or equal to Xbox X. A crap checkerboard rendering is not a 'what you see is what you get.'. Damn. People are so blind sometimes. Nobody is asking for a increase in resolution, just a proper cb implementation. Ps4pro have a dedicated cb render hardware, so is ok most of the time he use. No 'secret saurce'.
We already saw open worlds using this tech in many good ways. Its blurry as shit. Fact. I saw on my 4K tv and is that blurry.
I don't know if is really the cb render plus the aa solution is making that, but is there.

Oct 27, 2017
RockStar achieving 4K on the X proves that many other games running sub 4K could probably run @ 4K with better optimization. Also, this makes me even more hyped for whatever MS is doing with Scarlet. They've really stepped it up in the engineering and design dept.

Yea it definitely proves that if all devs had access to the 2000+ people that they could probably hit 4K native. Lol.

Trantorian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure I'm the first to laugh at these 50% zoom comparisons because from my sofa I can't tell 1080p from 4K, but still I expected a bit better compared to X.

Well I didnt finish the DF analysis but as long as the fps is half stable and the textures are alright, im fine with it.
If it eventually comes out on Pc that's where i'll push my GPU to the limits maxing the game

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Or perhaps the rending of resolution goes deeper and everything is super finely tuned to deliver on all of the impressive technical feats that the game is clearly pulling off.
Perhaps the artists working on this considered the resolution to be secondary to the numerous endless other visuals technique.

We're discussing the differences between versions here. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions of the game aren't different versions of the game compared to the PS4. It's the same game in every aspect bar resolution and a slight difference in texture and AO quality.