• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DStubbs

Oct 28, 2017
Damn that's more of a difference than I was expecting. Looking forward to my One X melting my TV.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
* XB One 864p

Damm, I'm sorry for those who are playing this on 4K TVs with the Slim upscale... Got a couple of friends that play this way because they don't wanna upgrade to an X so close to the next gen.

I'll be playing on the PS4 Pro.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the splendid graphics, I am totally surprised that it's indeed native 4K on the X!

I'm getting the console in about a month (enough time to reduce my PS4 Pro backlog to zero :p) and so far this game and Forza Horizon 4 make me feel as excited as I was when I saw PS3 / HD(MI) games for the first time at home, when I felt like "This is it, doesn't get any better".

I'll probably wait until I get shorter games like DMC V out of the way before I dedicate 2 or 3 weeks to this one game. It looks huge and rushing through it would be a waste.

Thanks DF for the analysis!

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I think I've been spoiled buying mostly first party exclusives lately, but the Pro version looks like a blurry mess from this screenshots. I'm tempted to wait for a possible patch. I'll see for myself tomorrow.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Well this ruined my hype. I thought i wouldn't have to think about this shit again as with the first game.

How does it look fucking worse on pro than base? How did they not fix this before release? I understand X having a higher resolution, but this difference is fucking embarrassing. Man...

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I am just wondering about the reason why the X looks so much better, is it simply down to horsepower, or is it a technical issue with the pro, or something to do with the way each version was developed..

XBX has more power, but many suspect the Pro is bandwidth starved. In many games X is pulling ahead of Pro with much more than theoretical advantage (40%), the difference is usually 80% or more.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Well this ruined my hype. I thought i wouldn't have to think about this shit again as with the first game.

How does it look fucking worse on pro than base? How did they not fix this before release? I understand X having a higher resolution, but this difference is fucking embarrassing. Man...

What ? The pro is not worse than base PS4. What are you talking about ?

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar really fucked up the Pro version. If it looks that bad why not just leave it at 1080p?

PC version can't come soon enough.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On some comparisons, the Pro version looks actually worse than the PS4 version:
6tJRJfr.jpg

In other comparison, it looks better. Astonishingly close to X when it comes to resolution. Fur collar is still less detailed and the coat texture has issues.
BfM0PPg.jpg

In most shots, it feels like there is simply no reconstruction technique going on. Like it's stuck at a very low resolution. Anamorphic 1920x2160 should still look better than 1920x1080 so I'm not sure what's going on. Bug perhaps?

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 pro looks disgusting in comparison. Worse performance too, and you know full well the console noise will be at a all time high when playing the game.

Still, XBox One X is too expansive for me. Rather wait for a good pc port.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You're only disappointed because of the huge difference with Xbox One X. The checkerboard stuff on the Pro has never been great and has never been close to native 4K.

Although to be honest the quality of the screenshots in the DF site is also pretty bad, makes the image quality look even worse I guess.
Not true at all. The last TR is not absolutely that bad on the Pro and it's 1800cbr vs 2016p. What I see there is awful from my perspective. Even The Witcher 3 is not that bad at all or Rise of TR which is again 2160cbr vs native. I mean if we are trying to pass that's the normality seen such awful reconstruction on the Pro, I can't disagree more.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Dark1x, beautiful analysis as always. The only thing really bothering me is the mention of "on consoles" at every opportunity to say that this is one of the most well realized, immersive and beautiful games ever. It's like we have this mythical game on PC where everything is beautiful and rendered to perfection, with no LODs, ultra high textures, etc, etc. As a whole, I fail to think of a game on PC with the graphical scope of RDR2. And that's coming from a hardcore PC gamer, but mainly - from a gamer in general.

I just think saying "on consoles" diminishes the achievement here.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the first video and it's the best visual showcase for this game I've seen, even over the one or two official trailers I've watched. Absolutely nuts how cohesive a world they've built. I think I'd waste a ton of time on just looking at the details in each area let alone actually doing the campaign missions.

I saw some climbing in the video, I hope that means you can clamber most of the reachable ledges in the environments!

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo they completely botched the ps4 pro version and there's no performance over resolution toggle? Actually debating refunding this before midnight hits if it runs and looks like shit.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
im sorry but the pro looks like shit compared to the x, im actually kinda pissed at how bad it looks in comparison, i think imma have to wait on getting this game so i can play it on the x, that shit is just ridculous.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x, beautiful analysis as always. The only thing really bothering me is the mention of "on consoles" at every opportunity to say that this is one of the most well realized, immersive and beautiful games ever. It's like we have this mythical game on PC where everything is beautiful and rendered to perfection, with no LODs, ultra high textures, etc, etc. As a whole, I fail to think of a game on PC with the graphical scope of RDR2. And that's coming from a hardcore PC gamer, but mainly - from a gamer in general.

I just think saying "on consoles" diminishes the achievement here.
Nah, that's not the intention at all. It's meant to highlight how impressive it is. I think it looks better than any comparable PC game as well but pulling that off on a console is insane.

Does anyone know what Build of the game was used for the DF testing?
For the comparison video, most of the comparison footage was made yesterday so whatever was the latest build as of that date.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
It means the speed the gpu can read from and write to the memory. On Pro they have only slightly improved the BW by 20% or so, but the console is required to render at 2-4 times the resolution. There are improvements to compression, so it's not 1:1, but it's clear that the lack of bandwidth is a huge bottleneck on Pro.

Though 4k CB (or using another reconstruction tech) is pretty much the goal Pro was designed for, so in theory it's doing what it should. But I guess in this game the reconstruction tech didn't worked that well, because the resolution gains are very muted and the artifacts are all over the place.

Thanks for your insight. I'm far from knowledgable in this field, but is this something like this a patch can fix down the line?
Edit: the reconstruction tech side of things

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks so much better on the X! Can't believe they hit native 4k and an almost rock solid 30fps with those level of visuals.

The X is such great value for money considering what it manages to achieve!

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched and while obviously the X looks best even the S version looks pretty damn great for open world. I'm ready to play now please.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

XBX has more power, but many suspect the Pro is bandwidth starved. In many games X is pulling ahead of Pro with much more than theoretical advantage (40%), the difference is usually 80% or more.
Yeah, it's my theory as well pros biggest problem is bandwith, it doesn't help that the gpu 1.8TF weaker and the cpu clocks are lower (which would explain worse performance), I would say these results were expected.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I am replying because it is impossible to get performance increases by changing your TV
There would be a performance increase if the game rendered in 1080p instead of 1920x2160, if the game had a performance / eye candy options on the Pro (as several have), which is why i'm asking.
Was it mentioned on the video anywhere or no?

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just wondered if the big improvement of the X was so jarring that it was skewing opinion.

I guess I am just wondering about the reason why the X looks so much better, is it simply down to horsepower, or is it a technical issue with the pro, or something to do with the way each version was developed.

It probably doesn't matter though in the grand scheme of things.

Combination of power difference being fairly significant combined with a weird reconstruction method being used for the Pro version.

Other games that use reconstruction don't look that blurry. BLOPS 4 runs at the same res as RDR2 but reportedly looks cleaner than it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Sooo they completely botched the ps4 pro version and there's no performance over resolution toggle? Actually debating refunding this before midnight hits if it runs and looks like shit.

Or they just had different priorities and/or goals for that version of the game? If they achieved their goals then it isn't botched.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Bummer about the pro, but that's all I can play it on now so it is what it is. I'll still enjoy it.

Wish PC release was here, but I'll def double dip when that hits in the next generation

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Ignoring Mod Post
LOL at some PS4 folks "feeling sorry" for the base Xbox One owners, just take the L on this one because it is very clearly a big difference. This is the GOTY hands down, and maybe the game of this entire generation. And it deserves to be played on the most powerful console out there, so I am glad that I get to play it on my Xbox One X tonight on a 4K TV in its true glory!

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
On some comparisons, the Pro version looks actually worse than the PS4 version:
6tJRJfr.jpg

In other comparison, it looks better. Astonishingly close to X when it comes to resolution. Fur collar is still less detailed and the coat texture has issues.
BfM0PPg.jpg

In most shots, it feels like there is simply no reconstruction technique going on. Like it's stuck at a very low resolution. Anamorphic 1920x2160 should still look better than 1920x1080 so I'm not sure what's going on. Bug perhaps?
At this point, I hope for the Pro R will release a fix update. It reminds me a lot to the AC Syndicate first pro patch such issues.

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mod edit.

Just out every console tested!

2 Parts!! Massive!

1st part here: (Technical analysis)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnzuh6I8gnM

2nd part here: (every version tested)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mTIPXwcDGQ

Will revert with info after watching!

Key notes:

* XBX runs in native 4K
* PS4 Pro 1920 x 2160
* XBX best performance with a few drops in towns
* PS4 Pro next best thing with solid framerate in wilderness but again dropping some frames in towns.
* PS4/XB One have better overall performance than RDR1 had in 360/ps3 hardware. There are drops even to the low-mid 20s at some points though.
* Visual parity in terms of rendering for all versions. (same assets/foliage etc)
* PS4 1080p
* XB One 864p
* No evidence of dynamic resolution in any of the versions tested.
* DF consider the game a stunning achievement regardless and believe the XBX X version is the best and by a considerable margin.

WOW - remarkable!

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Weird that people seem to bad mad at R* for 'fucking up' the Pro version while that's clearly on Sony for making that thing such a half assed upgrade.