• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Having an X and Pro, the X is always the obvious choice and I'm glad I went with X, but I never pay attention to these comparison shots. It doesn't mean a thing in motion most times. If all you have is a Pro, it looks like you'll still be appropriately blown away. This thing looks alike a technical marvel, overall.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Christ, would it be possible that the X was the lead platform?

Sony getting lazy and releasing a half ass attempt of a pro console is what happened
That's what happens when you have a 2:1 lead over your competitor, you get greedy and blinded by all the money

it's the sole reason why i'm not expecting too much from PS5 going into next gen, Instead I'm more interested to see what MS brings to the table

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
It's not lazy devs argument in disguise, rather, it's merely a statement of truth, that there are better reconstruction implementations out there, and also the implication that the devs potentially messed up.

Fact is, at present this is a not a particularly well implemented checkerboard system, as Dark1x has himself alluded to. The PS4 Pro should obviously be better looking than the PS4 version by a good margin in all aspects (it is after all more than twice the performance and power) but the differences are smaller in certain areas than they should be due to poor reconstruction results.
No game is trying to do what RDR2 is doing, clearly, judging by the reviews.

You simply cannot compare this game with anything else out there. So, no, the devs didn't "mess up".

The fact is, what you see is what you get. Theres no "secret sauce", "coding" or "patch" to fix whatever you think is "wrong" with the game.

Also, the Pro is pushing more pixels than the base PS4. While you think it looks somewhat similar its probably not the case on your TV from a comfortable distance.

That's not a lazy dev post, it highlights a clear thing because it sounds like the same thing that affects the pro affects the s. It doesn't affect the x because of the power difference and they were able to hit native 4k.
Theres nothing "wrong" with what the developer did. It's less powerful hardware. It will look worse.

Not sure what's "wrong" about that

Kinda tiring that whenever a game looks appropriately and significantly better on X that the rhetoric instantly changes to "the devs messed up!".

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So.. are the textures better on the Xbox One X?

Seems like they're identical, just higher in resolution.
As far as I can tell, textures are identical on Pro and X but they do APPEAR sharper on X due to the superior resolution. The reconstruction messes with texture clarity.

I couldn't find any fluctuation in resolution - even in the busiest scenes - it was always came back as native 4K. We checked like 40 something shots too and had three different people including myself look at them.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x do you think that it would have been wiser to chosoe 3200x1800p/CB for the PS4 Pro? I mean generally if games on XB O X are Native 4K the PS4 Pro version is 1800p and if the XB O X version is 1800p the PS4 Pro version is either 1800p CB or 1440p.
So do you think it was possible to at least achieve 1800p either native or checkerboard on PS4 Pro? It will still offer better IQ and more pixels. I think since they released L.A Noire they didn't' try to search for another resolution method on PS4 Pro and used the same method here in RDR2.
The game is already using what seems to be checkerboard 4K so it would look worse with checkerboard 1800p.

Maybe this'll help demonstrate better...

Here's what PS4 Pro looks like if you snap a still shot ONE FRAME after a camera cut...

(view in separate window for 1:1 pixel)

http:///0zXc.jpg

...and here it is a few frames later once the TAA has resolved.

http:///1zXc.jpg

I think the way they reconstruct just doesn't work that well with their TAA and it creates a strange looking game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's not lazy devs argument in disguise, rather, it's merely a statement of truth, that there are better reconstruction implementations out there, and also the implication that the devs potentially messed up somewhere.

Or perhaps the rending of resolution goes deeper and everything is super finely tuned to deliver on all of the impressive technical feats that the game is clearly pulling off.
Perhaps the artists working on this considered the resolution to be secondary to the numerous endless other visuals technique.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of celebrating that gaming could reach this level of fidelity and performance with a $500 box, we get console war posts. Oh well, the game unlocks in less than 30 minutes. I'm out!

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing Im gonna go with the GTA V route, PS and then PC. I assume PC version is out when the PS5/XB2 versions are out, so 2020 sometime.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
"PS4/XB One have better overall performance than RDR1 had in 360/ps3 hardware. There are drops even to the low-mid 20s at some points though"

ugh god :( should have waited for PC.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Or perhaps the rending of resolution goes deeper and everything is super finely tuned to deliver on all of the impressive technical feats that the game is clearly pulling off.
Perhaps the artists working on this considered the resolution to be secondary to the numerous endless other visuals technique.
Nah, devs messed up.

/s

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony getting lazy and releasing a half ass attempt of a pro console is what happened
That's what happens when you have a 2:1 lead over your competitor, you get greedy and blinded by all the money

it's the sole reason why i'm not expecting too much from PS5 going into next gen, Instead I'm more interested to see what MS brings to the table

uh...isnt ps4 pro cheaper than the x?

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Xbox one X is a beast, heh. Incredible it runs in 4K at 60 30 fps and the better performing one.
Rockstar goofed with the Sony marketing partnership and could not show the game in it's best.

Both RDR games in 4K on X is a dream come true.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it will. MS should definitely push it in some way that doesn't cross the with Sony's and Rockstar's marketing agreement.

Am pretty sure MS hates the fact that Sony got the agreement. I figured Xbox would especially with the X also having the first RDR in 4K as well. Either way, its going to be interesting.

I'm actually interested in this too. My friends are all considering upgrading just for RDR2 and FH4.

Hell yeah! No doubt.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS really understood the need to bridge the generational gap with a premium console upgrade. X1X should provide nice performance for the next few years.

Yeah, with the games to come over the next few years I'm pretty happy with my investment in the X.

The last thing the manufacturers should do is rush their hardware out the door just for the sake of it, MS were right to wait for the X.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So is this bigger news than GTV grassgate?

Can't wait to play this game tomorrow.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Am pretty sure MS hates the fact that Sony got the agreement. I figured Xbox would especially with the X also having the first RDR in 4K as well. Either way, its going to be interesting.

Hell yeah! No doubt.
I think most of the people will continue to ignore the difference and buy the hardware for other factors. It's surprising still hear that best multiplat it sell more to the customer. Not denying I'm disappointed about the IQ on the Pro. Hope R give some feedback about it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda tiring that whenever a game looks appropriately and significantly better on X that the rhetoric instantly changes to "the devs messed up!".
If it's an actual problem than it will be patched. I was just saying it's the same on the pro and the s which use checkboarding and why it doesn't happen on the x.

Nobody is downplaying them hitting 4k on the x but it doesn't mean that they can't fix a possible issue on the pro and s.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wonder if Pro would have been better served with a straight up 1440p if the reconstruction technique is poor.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thank you DF, was holding out for the video(s!!) before seeing which to buy. Just preordered on the X.
Shame I can't play until late Sunday but my lord I can't wait!

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Theres nothing "wrong" with what the developer did. It's less powerful hardware. It will look worse.

Not sure what's "wrong" about that

"It's weaker it looks worse" it's not an excuse, nothing is saying Pro should look as good as X, it's just that Pro should look a lot better than currently does if R* fucking cared about it.

Reminds me to AC Syndicate first 4K implementation, at least they fixed it.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That's what an 8 year long dev cycle does to make a game looking as good as this.

Mighty impressive :O

Once I decide to bite, I'm happy I will be doing so on the XB1X

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Comparing PS4 pro to xbox One x it looks like a generation leap. Im stunned.

So are the DF guys it seems.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
If it's an actual problem than it will be patched. I was just saying it's the same on the pro and the s which use checkboarding and why it doesn't happen on the x.

Nobody is downplaying them hitting 4k on the x but it doesn't mean that they can't fix a possible issue on the pro and s.
Not sure what there is to even fix.

You guys act like the game looks like ass on the Pro just because it looks so much better on the X.

Seems appropriate to me.

Still looks great on the Pro.