• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think?

• It means absolutely nothing.

Votes: 115 19.4%
  • It relates to the Switch Pro controller support in the Steam version.

Votes: 409 68.9%
  • A Switch-port is possible after we have seen The Witcher 3 and other ambitious games on the Switch.

Votes: 48 8.1%
  • This is a streaming game for the Switch

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • It seems to me an exclusive game for the Switch "Pro".

Votes: 9 1.5%

• Total voters
Mar 31, 2018

There is Switch pro controller texture found in the code of Red Dead Redemption 2. This will probably mean nothing or maybe the Switch Pro Controller support in the Steam version.

Or can we dream and can we expect a Switch-port like with The Witcher 3? Or will it have anything to do with streaming support (XCloud, as insiders here and rumors claim?) that is coming to the Switch. Or is the Switch Pro coming faster than expected, with RDR2 as an exclusive game? These are all possibilities.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
18mfgm84j37gmjpg.jpg

But with switch carts.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I recall someone saying that the different controller textures provided by Steam were all part of the same file, so they could be included even if the game did not allow you to choose.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Are games "aware" of when they're being fed a Switch controller through Steam input? I figure that's completely invisible while Steam is emulating the device as another controller.

I'd just go with it being nothing.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The switch version of this would be so scaled back there would be no gang. The game would just be Arthur, a horse and a few blades of grass.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
This has absolutely nothing to do with steam supports yet i suppprt the notion that this inclusion could be related to various steam support methods

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they'd have Switch Pro Controller pic without asking Nintendo to use the picture of its trademarked product in an official occasion. Does any other Steam game have a picture of Switch controller? I don't think so, steam does have Pro controller support but acknowledging it in a game is a different thing.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
tw3 is already stripped back below the pc low setting pretty much and that game has considerably lower system requirements than rdr 2. the only way this is a port is if its a streaming only version or if nintendo is indeed planning to release a more powerful version.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how absolutely abysmal Witcher 3 looks and runs on Switch, there is no world in which RDR2 is ever ported to the Switch as we know it today. Maybe if there's ever a Switch Pro or Switch 2

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Most probably for PC support cause on the current Switch it'll suffer big time otherwise it'll either be a new revision on the horizon or Rock Start are wizards.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how absolutely abysmal Witcher 3 looks and runs on Switch, there is no world in which RDR2 is ever ported to the Switch as we know it today. Maybe if there's ever a Switch Pro or Switch 2

Considering how hilariously bad the Switcher 3 was, morbid curiosity is keen to see how RDR2 would turn out on Switch. Should be hilarious.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Artists make things that programmers and other crew members may not ever be able to implement.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
I so want a GTA port on the Switch. Any GTA from PS2 onward would be nice.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At most, this is there because Steam supports the controller.
Abandon any notion of a Switch port. Please. So you don't disappoint yourself. So you don't disappoint everyone

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
After Steam Controller, the Dual Shock and Switch controller are the best controllers for PC because of gyro. It's good they included it.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's for Steam and Stadia, since that also supports the Switch Pro controller and Google's Stadia TRCs say that all games should show the correct button prompts for the controller the player is using (but many games on launch got an exception for that IIRC).

S3V8

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
🇬🇧
Nintendo Switch only has L.A. Noire which was ported by external studio. That means nothing. If Rockstar Games would have better approach to Nintendo (or/and Nintendo to Rockstar Games) then we could expect much more games on this platform. They could release past-gen version GTAV with slightly better texture or some 6th generation classics, like they did for PS4 (Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Bully, Manhunt, The Warriors) or release refreshed anniversary versions of these games.​
Unfortunately current state of Rockstar Games is more disappointing then ever, for me.​

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
This meme was stupid even in 2007. Without the FMV and the uncompressed audio MGS4 was just 12GB of game data. Mass Effect 2 had more.
I thought it was mostly dummy data because of PS3 2X BD-drive read speed.

EDIT: Nevermind the joke doesn't work because Rockstar would offload most of it to a download like L.A. Noire.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
90% chance it's for Steam and Stadia
10% chance it's for RDR2 streaming on Switch in Japan

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
At most, this is there because Steam supports the controller.
Abandon any notion of a Switch port. Please. So you don't disappoint yourself. So you don't disappoint everyone

Thing thing needs to end. We're getting The Outer Worlds and Doom Eternal on this little machine next year and those two sure won't be the end of it. There will be more miracle ports and RDR2 is as good candidate as any other.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thing thing needs to end. We're getting The Outer Worlds and Doom Eternal on this little machine next year and those two sure won't be the end of it. There will be more miracle ports and RDR2 is as good candidate as any other.
I like the Switch. I think its hardware is capable of a lot more than some people would give it credit for. Especially when developers are willing to make bespoke tweaks to enable a game to run better on Switch. I mean, shit, look at the way people are talking about Witcher 3 on Switch in here, when I personally think it's easily one of the most impressive and ambitious handheld games ever released. I even happen to think it looks great for what it is.
RDR2 is plainly a more complex game than Outer Worlds and Doom Eternal under the hood, not to mention Witcher 3 and all of the Switch's other miracle ports. I don't think RDR2 is in the cards, unless Rockstar themselves were willing to make significant changes to the game that extend beyond its visuals, and I've got no reason to think they would be.
It'd be more than a welcome surprise - I literally wouldn't believe it, unless I saw it with my own eyes. I actually can't think of very many current gen games that wouldn't be a better candidate for a miracle Switch port.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
RDR2 is "possible" on Switch but Rockstar wouldn't bother. Too expensive to port and file size would be a huge issue.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
It's for Steam and Stadia, since that also supports the Switch Pro controller and Google's Stadia TRCs say that all games should show the correct button prompts for the controller the player is using (but many games on launch got an exception for that IIRC).

Thanks for mentioning this.

(I'd gladly take more miracle ports, but RDR2 would even be more surprising / miraculous / impossible than TW3.)