Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT2| For A Few Hours More

Oct 27, 2017
Treasure hunting was surprisingly fun, like everything, mainly due to the exploration and immersion. I was shocked I could find almost everything on my own of the three hunts I did, minus the poisonous trail map 2, as I never explored that landmark. I still have a torn map 1, and I may just look up where to find the other part.
4,500 dollars worth of gold bars is kinda crazy. Anyone positive they carry over to the epilogues if I don't sell them?

Oct 29, 2017
Been waiting all day to post that I finally beat all the challenges. I'm so happy to finally have all them done.

Thanks a lot to everyone who makes this site work! 2.0 looks outstanding. <3

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm finally done with the game now. Hunting down specific animals just isn't fun given how randomly some of them spawn in locations the guide says they should be. So that rules out 100%-ing the game as I've spent hours just searching for a fucking opossum so heaven knows how long it would take to even find the other critters for the hunting challenge. They have been far too stingy in that regard.
The in game compendium is far too vague in that respect. The in game map too, I'm pretty sure Arthur makes a note of an animal on the map in the first place you spot it but not necessarily where they spawn most often which is quite misleading, not sure on that though it's most likely predetermined.

If you change your mind I do know that opossums are pretty common along the river North of Rhodes, where Javier takes you fishing (something-Creek IIRC). I also remember getting virtually every kind of small animal (skunk, raccoon, squirrel etc.) all spawning South of Riggs station, around the abandoned army camp.

Been waiting all day to post that I finally beat all the challenges. I'm so happy to finally have all them done.

Thanks a lot to everyone who makes this site work! 2.0 looks outstanding. <3
Honestly just can't bring myself to do those gambling challenges. It's really disheartening because I'm at level 8-9 with everything else.

Oct 29, 2017
The in game compendium is far too vague in that respect. The in game map too, I'm pretty sure Arthur makes a note of an animal on the map in the first place you spot it but not necessarily where they spawn most often which is quite misleading, not sure on that though it's most likely predetermined.

If you change your mind I do know that opossums are pretty common along the river North of Rhodes, where Javier takes you fishing (something-Creek IIRC). I also remember getting virtually every kind of small animal (skunk, raccoon, squirrel etc.) all spawning South of Riggs station, around the abandoned army camp.

Honestly just can't bring myself to do those gambling challenges. It's really disheartening because I'm at level 8-9 with everything else.
They took about 6 hours total. I can try to help you through them if you want.

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the tip. I might give it a go, though I am reading that completing that quest alone takes 20 hours. Is that how long it took you?

Oct 29, 2017
They took about 6 hours total. I can try to help you through them if you want.
If there's anything specific I can do to do the gambling challenges I'd certainly appreciate it but I'm under the impression it's just perseverance. I'm at level 4 or 5 now, 3 wins of dominoes in a row without drawing a tile. Wasn't there an outfit in RDR1 that let you cheat at the gambling games?

Thanks for the tip. I might give it a go, though I am reading that completing that quest alone takes 20 hours. Is that how long it took you?
If it's for the quest where you have to mail them off (something something World, I think it's called) I just ended up grabbing most of the animals between other things. Make sure you craft the legendary buck antler trinket, which gives you a chance at higher quality parts from animals. This is particularly useful for small animals that Arthur picks up instead of skinning (small birds, squirrels, rats = most of the animals on her list) because they nearly always change to perfect carcasses when you store them. I think it increases the star rating by 1, so a 'good' carcass on kill becomes a 'perfect' on storage. Also be sure to get the legendary pronghorn trinket too, which will prevent carcasses from rotting when they're stored on your horse. Lets you get the bigger animals whenever you see them instead of having to leave them until last and stressing about them rotting.

Hard to put a time on it for me, like I said I got the quest pretty early on and just did it as I was milling about and doing other things.

Oct 29, 2017
Oldest_Snake I did all the dominos challenges at Emerald Ranch. I watched a couple YouTube tutorials on how to play draw dominos that were not specific to RDR2. They weren't too bad. You're right... it just takes a little patience.

For the one domino challenge you only have to win the round and not the game. So it only takes a couple tries. Do that one against only one player and always try to leave yourself at least 2 moves on each end. This way no matter what, you won't have to draw anything.

Challenge 9 where you have to win 3 games in a row took a while. But I figured out that if you play against 2 other players you have the potential to score a lot more because you get bonus points of the amount your opponents have left. It is possible to win a game in 3 to 4 rounds. If you lose more than one round, just back out if the game and it does not count as a loss. Also if you have a lot of the same numbers, play those ones. Because it will make your opponent have to pick up more dominos.

The toughest 2 challenges were busting players out of poker, and the one where you have to hit 3x and beat the dealer at Blackjack.

For the poker, be sure to fold when you have a shit hand and play conservatively. If you have anything over a pair, like 2 pair or a flush- go 'all in'. Chances are you will win.

The Blackjack one is basically not worrying about whether you were going to go over 21 and just keep hitting. If you hit ever single hand the probability of you getting it is much greater than if you just play normally.

The last one was surprisingly easy. I went to Flatneck and played normally until I won one hand. Then on the next round I had a shit hand, so I kept calling until the 'Turn' came up then aggressively bet. 2 players folded and then the one guy 'saw' my raise. But I had a pair so I won... On the third win, I just went 'all in' after getting dealt my hand and he folded.

On the 5 finger fillet ones, one beat one guy per town. That way you only have to remember 2 buttons. And I held the controller with both hands over the buttons, one thumb on each button going as fast as I can. Those ones were really easy.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Oldest_Snake I did all the dominos challenges at Emerald Ranch. I watched a couple YouTube tutorials on how to play draw dominos that were not specific to RDR2. They weren't too bad. You're right... it just takes a little patience.

For the one domino challenge you only have to win the round and not the game. So it only takes a couple tries. Do that one against only one player and always try to leave yourself at least 2 moves on each end. This way no matter what, you won't have to draw anything.

Challenge 9 where you have to win 3 games in a row took a while. But I figured out that if you play against 2 other players you have the potential to score a lot more because you get bonus points of the amount your opponents have left. It is possible to win a game in 3 to 4 rounds. If you lose more than one round, just back out if the game and it does not count as a loss. Also if you have a lot of the same numbers, play those ones. Because it will make your opponent have to pick up more dominos.

The toughest 2 challenges were busting players out of poker, and the one where you have to hit 3x and beat the dealer at Blackjack.

For the poker, be sure to fold when you have a shit hand and play conservatively. If you have anything over a pair, like 2 pair or a flush- go 'all in'. Chances are you will win.

The Blackjack one is basically not worrying about whether you were going to go over 21 and just keep hitting. If you hit ever single hand the probability of you getting it is much greater than if you just play normally.

The last one was surprisingly easy. I went to Flatneck and played normally until I won one hand. Then on the next round I had a shit hand, so I kept calling until the 'Turn' came up then aggressively bet. 2 players folded and then the one guy 'saw' my raise. But I had a pair so I won... On the third win, I just went 'all in' after getting dealt my hand and he folded.

On the 5 finger fillet ones, one beat one guy per town. That way you only have to remember 2 buttons. And I held the controller with both hands over the buttons, one thumb on each button going as fast as I can. Those ones were really easy.
Reading these makes it sound pretty doable, might give it another shot then. Thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game yesterday and I have to say that most of it felt like a god damn slog. Everything was so slow for no reason. Riding around was so tiresome. And there was so, so much talking talking talking. And that epilog was probably the most pointless, most boring thing I played for a good while. Holy shit.

Yeah I know what you say now: "But it's about the characters and the story". Guess what, I didn't care much about the characters and story. IMHO it wasn't very good or interesting. And even if it was, there is something called "pacing" and this felt like Uncharted 4 multiplicated by ten. In a sense where you have great moments in between lots and lots of boredom. Remember when people complained about "slow-walking-and-talking-moments" in games last-gen? Ha, good times!

But yeah, there were some pretty great missions and set-pieces. I especially loved the whole chapter 5 stuff and everything that lead to it. And the production values are through the roof like in most Rockstar games. Some impressive stuff here, especially the landscapes. Some views were breathtaking.

But I am so tired of games that take forever to get to the good stuff. Every fucking game has to be 50+ hours nowadays just for the sake of it.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finished the game yesterday and I have to say that most of it felt like a god damn slog. Everything was so slow for no reason. Riding around was so tiresome. And there was so, so much talking talking talking. And that epilog was probably the most pointless, most boring thing I played for a good while. Holy shit.

Yeah I know what you say now: "But it's about the characters and the story". Guess what, I didn't care much about the characters and story. IMHO it wasn't very good or interesting. And even if it was, there is something called "pacing" and this felt like Uncharted 4 multiplicated by ten. In a sense where you have great moments in between lots and lots of boredom. Remember when people complained about "slow-walking-and-talking-moments" in games last-gen? Ha, good times!

But yeah, there were some pretty great missions and set-pieces. I especially loved the whole chapter 5 stuff and everything that lead to it. And the production values are through the roof like in most Rockstar games. Some impressive stuff here, especially the landscapes. Some views were breathtaking.

But I am so tired of games that take forever to get to the good stuff. Every fucking game has to be 50+ hours nowadays just for the sake of it.
It's as they say: No accounting for taste.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda weird how the unique revolvers/pistols you get are weaker than normal versions. I wish this game had a little more loot going for it, and a more comprehensive mod system, but even equipping the correct guns would still be nice. No rush or anything, Rockstar, I'm only deep into a second playthrough. :P

I had a ton of money, so I blew $4,000 on clothes and still didn't buy all color variations.

Oct 25, 2017
Camped in the northeastern part of the map and had a really unpleasant surprise.
Hunted the legendary moose and got out of there as quick as possible. This game can be creepy.

Oct 29, 2017
Camped in the northeastern part of the map and had a really unpleasant surprise.
Hunted the legendary moose and got out of there as quick as possible. This game can be creepy.
Yeah those Murfree brood dudes are fucked up. Haha

It's a lot like the movie Deliverance if you've never seen it.

Oct 27, 2017
The camps of theirs are like raiders in Fallout, only more disgusting. You do not want to get captured by those freaks, but throwing dynamite at them feels like justice.

Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Is there a trapper more on the left side of the map? I want to get some legendary animals and don't want to have to keep riding across the entire map. The only two I'm aware of are the first one after the early chapter 2 mission and the one in Saint Denis.

Oct 27, 2017
ALRIGHT PEOPLE YA BOI FINALLY PICKED UP THIS GAME AS PREDESTINED AND GONNA TAKE IT FOR A RIDE THIS WEEKEND

So now I'm looking for some tips before I start, especially as someone who's played the first game for an embarrassing length of time. I mean, I've seen the gameplay videos but I was wondering if there any things that would be worth keeping an eye on as I go.

P.S. Is there an option for a legacy control scheme by any chance? Not that it's a dealbreaker of course.

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is there a trapper more on the left side of the map? I want to get some legendary animals and don't want to have to keep riding across the entire map. The only two I'm aware of are the first one after the early chapter 2 mission and the one in Saint Denis.
There's usually one in the in the forest west of Strawberry. Right near the edge of the map, north of the large lake.

Oct 29, 2017
ALRIGHT PEOPLE YA BOI FINALLY PICKED UP THIS GAME AS PREDESTINED AND GONNA TAKE IT FOR A RIDE THIS WEEKEND

So now I'm looking for some tips before I start, especially as someone who's played the first game for an embarrassing length of time. I mean, I've seen the gameplay videos but I was wondering if there any things that would be worth keeping an eye on as I go.

P.S. Is there an option for a legacy control scheme by any chance? Not that it's a dealbreaker of course.
As soon as you can, go get the deer antler trinket and kill every animal that moves... of you step on something while riding your horse go pick it up.

If you see a symbol shaped like a gun on the map it is probably a rare and missable weapon in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I may have bought the "reasonably" priced (lol) Gunslinger jacket that Rockstar and Barking Irons released... I'd like the railroad shirt asswell but yeesh!

"It's alright boaaahhh..."

Oct 29, 2017
Did one of the latest RDR2 patches mess up performance on the X? I can't tell because I got a new 144hz monitor, but now the game feels stuttery.
Is it stuttering all the time or in ceratin areas only? It seems like they did something to it because it doesn't feel as smooth. But it could be because I saw people complaining about it and hadn't noticed it before.

There is a good performance discussion here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...x-1080p-fake-hdr-analysis.78182/post-14432211

Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Is it stuttering all the time or in ceratin areas only? It seems like they did something to it because it doesn't feel as smooth. But it could be because I saw people complaining about it and hadn't noticed it before.

There is a good performance discussion here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...x-1080p-fake-hdr-analysis.78182/post-14432211
I think it's just sometimes. Maybe in mostly foggy areas. I haven't played ton, but I didn't know if the monitor being 144hz would effect anything.

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's just sometimes. Maybe in mostly foggy areas. I haven't played ton, but I didn't know if the monitor being 144hz would effect anything.
If you can maybe try playing a game that you know runs at a consistent framerate and see how you make out. You might need to change a setting on the monitor or something. I have a gsync LG and I know you can change display settings by pressing in the button on the bottom. I have never tried connecting an XB1to it though.

Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
If you can maybe try playing a game that you know runs at a consistent framerate and see how you make out. You might need to change a setting on the monitor or something. I have a gsync LG and I know you can change display settings by pressing in the button on the bottom. I have never tried connecting an XB1to it though.
I also have a gsync monitor. And I'll give another 30fps game a go later but black ops feels fine.

Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Maybe this will help? I'm genuinely interested in this as well, why I looked it up.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-120hz

Edit: also I linked the wrong topic; real one is here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/red-dead-redemption-2-df-analysis-read-op.76899/
Can't use the variable framerate option without freesync. I'm firing up the newest tomb raider now to see how it feels. BTW when I said black ops feels fine that was on the PS4 pro. But halo mcc also feels fine.

Edit: tomb raider feels as smooth as 30fps should
catvonpee

So it must be red dead

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I took time out early Chapter 2 to get all the satchel upgrades, because only carrying five of everything was really irritating, and I thought if I ever wanted to replay RDR2, having a save early on with all the upgrades would be worth it. So glad I did. I had some memorable adventures along the way, plus many equally memorable cougar/panther instakill deaths! Finding some of the smaller animals ended up being the most painful part of the experience.

I'm pretty smitten with RDDR2, but it is irritating how unforgiving some of the mission design can be. Oh, you took a second too long checking your weapon loadout instead of following Charles? FAILED. (The next time I failed because my poor horse, on auto to keep pace with Charles, tripped over a rock. The horse hadn't even gotten up properly and the mission had already failed.)

Oct 26, 2017
Epilogue 2 Question that isn’t spoilerish

Are bounty hunts in infinite supply throughout the map? If not, is it worth getting them all. I ran two cities dry of bounties but now one has popped up at Saint Denie. Just wanted to know if I’m doing this for anything other than the money

Oct 28, 2017
So, if I've finished the epilogue and haven't gotten the 'finish all honor missions' trophy, does that mean I've somehow missed one at some point in the game?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I think I'm finally done with the game now. Hunting down specific animals just isn't fun given how randomly some of them spawn in locations the guide says they should be. So that rules out 100%-ing the game as I've spent hours just searching for a fucking opossum so heaven knows how long it would take to even find the other critters for the hunting challenge. They have been far too stingy in that regard.
This is another reason why I wish you could do all Challenges simultaneously and not just in a specific order in one of nine different loosely-related groups. Took me forever to catch a third Bluegill, though it was offset by the next challenge being hand in 5 animals and I had a satchel full of fish. Then kill animals with the varmint rifle, which I probably have a few hundred critter kills with, but no, go get five more right now... Never mind that I won't be at the "find a possum playing possum" challenge for a long bit and I've already done it at least 4 times.

The second hunting request/contest(?) really amped up the difficulty. A squirrel and rabbit were easy pickings, but I don't know if I've ever even seen a cardinal, I just scanned my first rat somehow despite having hundreds of entries in the compendium, and I still haven't found a woodpecker. Seeing the list of animals required at level 5 is like "those aren't even rare, what the fuck." Like they built the challenge backwards.

The timing in five finger fillet is throwing me off. I can crank up to a pretty good clip, but I always overrun the animations by just a hair and fuck myself. Fortunately I don't have to do much of it.... I hope.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Epilogue 2 Question that isn’t spoilerish

Are bounty hunts in infinite supply throughout the map? If not, is it worth getting them all. I ran two cities dry of bounties but now one has popped up at Saint Denie. Just wanted to know if I’m doing this for anything other than the money
I could be wrong, but I don't think they're infinite. They're basically like sidequests, with the same bounties appearing for everyone and taking place in a specific way. So that suggests that they'll eventually be exhausted; I don't know how many there are total.

Oct 26, 2017
I’m a bit into chapter 4 now, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better told story in any video game (and it comes close to Best told story in any media).

I can’t give enough praise to the actor portraying Arthur. He does such an amazing job in every single scene. It’s crazy how good of a performance rockstar got out of him and all of the other characters in this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Ferndale, Michigan
Was wondering what happened to a certain character after people started talking that he was missing
Kieran
Well I got to the part where I found out.
Jesus what a way to go. Cutting off his head and sending his body holding it into camp. I think they cut out his eyes too

Nov 11, 2018
Lemoyne
i’ve started my second play through and this time i’m on my own time. i looted every single body in chapter one and by the time i got to my camp for the first time at horseshoe overlook, i had $350