Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT2| For A Few Hours More

Oct 29, 2017
catvonpee Just ticked off Gambling Challenge 10 :D Got sooooo lucky on that last one. I went to Valentine and there was only 1 guy at the poker table and he immediately folds on all 3 hands. Fucking A! Thanks for the advice on the other challenges.

Beyond store discounts and the way people react to you does honour factor into the epilogue story at all like it did the main story. I wouldn't think so but I've got a few Bandit Challenges too and I don't want to tank my story.
Way to go! Nice work! :) I love this game so I am really happy to be a member here and get to talk about the game.

Oct 29, 2017
Got all the Legendary Fish and the quest for it done. I'm so glad that you can re-catch them, if they bug out on you.

The hunt for 100% continues (97.2% now)!
Way to go dude! I was thinking you were talking about the catfish
that cannot be caught last night when I read this. I spent like an hour catching fish until I realized I had been catfished.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Way to go dude! I was thinking you were talking about the catfish
that cannot be caught last night when I read this. I spent like an hour catching fish until I realized I had been catfished.
OMG is this really a thing? Hahaha that sounds so evil.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Oh I see, I thought you meant you can buy the cards themselves. Thanks!
Depending on how much you are enjoying the game and how much time you have, the cigarette cards you find in the world are usually adjacent to something cool. Might be a weapon or treasure map, or a location you haven't seen yet.

Oct 27, 2017
If you lose a round of dominoes, does that break your streak for the "three in a row" challenge?

If you have a streak, lose a round (but not a game), then quit, does it prevent you from retaining your streak?

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how much you are enjoying the game and how much time you have, the cigarette cards you find in the world are usually adjacent to something cool. Might be a weapon or treasure map, or a location you haven't seen yet.
Check out my original post to learn about this particular predicament :)

Oct 29, 2017
Went to where you said and *boom* found one straight away. Reignited my enthusiasm to go for 100% so thanks.
👍 Good to hear. I remember getting through most of the hunting challenges (and that side-mission you're on) with relative ease to if you run into any other issues ask away.

Well, now I know how John Marston looks like with a shave...kinda handsome tbh
He's surprisingly attractive in the epilogue, which is weird because he ain't much of a looker beforehand. Can't not see him as a young Dutch when you grow out his mustache though, it's uncanny. Especially the nose.

If you lose a round of dominoes, does that break your streak for the "three in a row" challenge?

If you have a streak, lose a round (but not a game), then quit, does it prevent you from retaining your streak?
The streak is for 3 games, so you can lose a round and not lose your streak. Quitting between games will also preserve your streak so it's a good way to back out of a losing game. I've only just finished that one but I have a couple of extra tips in addition to catvonpee 's tips here.

1. Play all fives in Saint Denis.
2. Make sure you're playing against 2 other players, not 3. I felt the games move too fast with 3 others and this gives you a bit more wiggle room when there are dominoes to draw from. Saving near the table and reloading will respawn players at the table so just do that until there are 2 opponents. Don't do this once you're started your streak because I'm 99% sure it will reset if you save/reload, even if you save on a 2/3.
3. You want to win the first round with at least 40 points, anything less than that and you're at a disadvantage in the second and less likely to win. If you're dragging behind after round 1 I say quit and start over. This isn't exactly the best domino playing tactic, just about speeding up the games (because it's tedious as all hell!).
4. Try to focus on getting 'domino' by dealing all dominos, if you start having to pick them up (2 or more) call it a lost game and quit. Again, not a good tactic for the game but it just keeps you moving between games you can do well in and games that are neck and neck (and stressful!) Not so important in the first round if you've managed to get a bunch of points already.
5. Quit the game if your opponents get above 70 points, even if you're at 65. It's not worth losing.
6. If you're struggling remember you can select a domino and press left/right to see all possible moves you can make. Sometimes I'd miss some pretty obvious moves that would net me points.
7. Try not to pull your hair out being forced to watch the slow ass animations every.single.time. you start a new game! You might want to put on some music and turn the TV down when you do this because listening to your opponents say the same lines over and over is also irritating, not to mention them insulting you when you quit mid game.
8. If you haven't done it it's worth getting up to level 5 (?) in the bandit challenges beforehand because that's to get a $250 bounty in a single state and you are going to want to burn that city to the ground once you're done, so it's pretty cathartic to do it right after this gambling challenge.

Last edited:

SG-17

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
www.swbfii.com
The Epilogue made the rest of the game irrelevant for me. Like it all felt like a giant waste of time and completely unnecessary.

Also I can't help but notice how shallow all of the systems are in the game. Previews touted the game as being incredibly deep, but after a hundred hours with it, the veneer falls away and shows that most of this stuff is just fluff.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

You can quit at any time to retain your streak. Losing Rounds won't end your Streak, but it absolutely can, if you have a couple Dominoes left and they happen to add up, so that the enemy wins the game.

I played Three's and always quit when my enemy got past 65 points or if I had to draw several Dominoes.

Oct 27, 2017
👍 Good to hear. I remember getting through most of the hunting challenges (and that side-mission you're on) with relative ease to if you run into any other issues ask away.

He's surprisingly attractive in the epilogue, which is weird because he ain't much of a looker beforehand. Can't not see him as a young Dutch when you grow out his mustache though, it's uncanny. Especially the nose.

The streak is for 3 games, so you can lose a round and not lose your streak. Quitting between games will also preserve your streak so it's a good way to back out of a losing game. I've only just finished that one but I have a couple of extra tips in addition to catvonpee 's tips here.

1. Play all fives in Saint Denis.
2. Make sure you're playing against 2 other players, not 3. I felt the games move too fast with 3 others and this gives you a bit more wiggle room when there are dominoes to draw from. Saving near the table and reloading will respawn players at the table so just do that until there are 2 opponents. Don't do this once you're started your streak because I'm 99% sure it will reset if you save/reload, even if you save on a 2/3.
3. You want to win the first round with at least 40 points, anything less than that and you're at a disadvantage in the second and less likely to win. If you're dragging behind after round 1 I say quit and start over. This isn't exactly the best domino playing tactic, just about speeding up the games (because it's tedious as all hell!).
4. Try to focus on getting 'domino' by dealing all dominos, if you start having to pick them up (2 or more) call it a lost game and quit. Again, not a good tactic for the game but it just keeps you moving between games you can do well in and games that are neck and neck (and stressful!) Not so important in the first round if you've managed to get a bunch of points already.
5. Quit the game if your opponents get above 70 points, even if you're at 65. It's not worth losing.
6. If you're struggling remember you can select a domino and press left/right to see all possible moves you can make. Sometimes I'd miss some pretty obvious moves that would net me points.
7. Try not to pull your hair out being forced to watch the slow ass animations every.single.time. you start a new game! You might want to put on some music and turn the TV down when you do this because listening to your opponents say the same lines over and over is also irritating, not to mention them insulting you when you quit mid game.
8. If you haven't done it it's worth getting up to level 5 (?) in the bandit challenges beforehand because that's to get a $250 bounty in a single state and you are going to want to burn that city to the ground once you're done, so it's pretty cathartic to do it right after this gambling challenge.
You can quit at any time to retain your streak. Losing Rounds won't end your Streak, but it absolutely can, if you have a couple Dominoes left and they happen to add up, so that the enemy wins the game.

I played Three's and always quit when my enemy got past 65 points or if I had to draw several Dominoes.

Thanks for the tips—I managed to beat that challenge. I’m unsure since i didn’t save the footage, but i’m pretty sure I won a game, then lost the streak when I quit right after losing round 1 of a new game that couldn’t have been near the score limit. I would recommend that people test that out before get too far with it. That took too long ...

The final challenge was a cakewalk compared to 9, and I immediately won three hands in a row. I wish you could skip to your turn in dominoes like you can in poker.

Oct 27, 2017
A certain someone busted into my Valentine hotel room to fight, so I choked him to death, and there was a witness someplace downstairs that didn't actually see anything, and the sheriff just walks in seconds later. Snuck out the side and didn't get a bounty, surprisingly. :)

I can't get this thread to show in my watched list after the update.

Oct 26, 2017
Very late game spoilers

I just did Arthur's last mission and felt sad. You know he's dying but after spending so much time with him it still kind of hits. Love the moment when he's riding back to camp with the music playing as it reminded me of RDR when you ride back to your family. Also, fuck Micah. I hope I can kill him in the epilogue.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Probably has been discussed but I'm kinda LTTP, so so hate me for not reading trough hundreds of pages.

I started the game last week and for the first few hours in Chapter 2 I didn't do many missions but roamed the west/northwest part of the map instead.
The performance on my PS4 Pro was a little all over the place. Mostly fine, but a lot of frame drops in busier areas and a lot of "micro stuttering", don't know how else to call it. It often just didn't feel clean.

Now I have played
the train mission with John and the boys
and since I started the mission everything seems much smoother. I can't explain this.

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 is so good. Holy shit.

The ending to a certain string of missions that started way back in chapter 2 is so damn satisfying. Was not expecting it either.

Oct 29, 2017
Chapter 6 is so good. Holy shit.

The ending to a certain string of missions that started way back in chapter 2 is so damn satisfying. Was not expecting it either.
It would have been cool and the game would have been like full-blown Fallout New Vegas if
you could have been more merciful in collecting the debts or chose just to forgive them all. The whole time I remember feeling that I would not have even bothered except for with the guy that tries to stab you. It would have been awesome if Arthur could have just ran away with his old girlfriend instead of getting sick.

I really enjoyed how well the side quests were integrated into the main story though. Sure there are some fetch quests. But I liked how most of the side quests had something very random and interesting to do.

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been cool and the game would have been like full-blown Fallout New Vegas if
you could have been more merciful in collecting the debts or chose just to forgive them all. The whole time I remember feeling that I would not have even bothered except for with the guy that tries to stab you. It would have been awesome if Arthur could have just ran away with his old girlfriend instead of getting sick.

I really enjoyed how well the side quests were integrated into the main story though. Sure there are some fetch quests. But I liked how most of the side quests had something very random and interesting to do.
Agreed, I wanted to play Arthur as a good guy, so I felt bad about the debt colletcing from the jump, but I did like Arthur's arc with those.

Being able to straight up forgive the last two debts and even give back money to the miner's wife in the last one felt great. And then telling Strauss off and kicking him out was the perfect capper.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished chapter 6....

Remember when some people were saying how "bland" and "generic" Arthur appeared as a character?Well this game should teach them to wait and see before they judge from any trailer.

Anyway i can't wait to finish the Epilogue too and check out the spoiler thread as well.

One thing i know is that i am playing RDR 1 after this.It will be very interesting to see everything again but this time knowing what happened before the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Arthur is the best R* main character ever imo.

Speaking of, Roger Clark just won best performance as Arthur at the Keighley Awards. So cool to see him get recognition, one of the best voice performances I’ve ever heard in a video game.

But his acceptance blew my mind because he sounded Irish! I would have never guessed that in a million years. Did a good job suppressing the accent.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Probably has been discussed but I'm kinda LTTP, so so hate me for not reading trough hundreds of pages.

I started the game last week and for the first few hours in Chapter 2 I didn't do many missions but roamed the west/northwest part of the map instead.
The performance on my PS4 Pro was a little all over the place. Mostly fine, but a lot of frame drops in busier areas and a lot of "micro stuttering", don't know how else to call it. It often just didn't feel clean.

Now I have played
the train mission with John and the boys
and since I started the mission everything seems much smoother. I can't explain this.
sorry to quote myself here but this is so freaking weird. In my first 15 hours or so the game often had some noticeable performance problems (nothing gamebreaking of course) but since I've started a (seemingly) random story mission the game runs smoother overall. I mean... what? Has anyone experienced anything like that?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking to the sheriff about a bounty, then what looks like a cigarette rolls across the desk for some reason (like Elder Scrolls physics), and the deputy pulls his gun and makes me leave the area. Can't start the story mission there, due to my recent "crimes", heh!

Oct 25, 2017
There's one thing that always fucks with my immersion. It's really cool when you walk up to the campfire and the person invites you over and has a chat with you. What is not really cool is when they seem to have a spell of dementia right when they're done talking to me and forget what is going on and how they were being friendly a second ago.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm nearing the end of chapter 6 and I love this game but reading that
There are 2 epilogue chapters afterwards bums me out. I feel like I have to play them but I'm honestly feeling like I want to the game to be done already. It's a long ass game and chapter 5 also felt like it shouldn't exist or simply be a single mission to end chapter 4/start chapter 6

Oct 29, 2017
What an odd glitch I've had. I started the 'Chains that Bind Us' (think that's the name anyway) Stranger mission in Rhodes, did the second stage of it and now in the epilogue it's popped back up in Rhodes to start again.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm nearing the end of chapter 6 and I love this game but reading that
There are 2 epilogue chapters afterwards bums me out. I feel like I have to play them but I'm honestly feeling like I want to the game to be done already. It's a long ass game and chapter 5 also felt like it shouldn't exist or simply be a single mission to end chapter 4/start chapter 6
For what it's worth - I think that's the common consensus on Chapter 5. As for the epilogue:
If you've played the first Red Dead Redemption, then I think it has some nice moments, and finding out what some of the fates are of other characters is interesting - but overall, as much as I loved RDR2, I would agree that it's just too long a game.

Sep 3, 2018
What an odd glitch I've had. I started the 'Chains that Bind Us' (think that's the name anyway) Stranger mission in Rhodes, did the second stage of it and now in the epilogue it's popped back up in Rhodes to start again.
That's cause you never finished the chain before the end of the game so it restarts that one in the epilogue as it wouldn't make as much sense finishing it years later given how it plays out.

Also I really don't get people's complaints about chapter five, it's rather short and to me just adds to the story.

Oct 25, 2017
There’s another part of it near the end that pops up near the ranch from the epilogue. It’s really easy to miss earlier in the game because there’s no reason to really be over there and it only pops up if you’re close to it. The quest just resets if you make it to the epilogue without finishing it

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing just happened to me today with Mr White and Mr Black.

Ok so I'm near the end obviously. I just need to know the answer to two questions. Please somebody answer just with yes or no.

Do I get to somehow play as Arthur again for the post game?
Or at least the option to play as someone other than John?

Please, only yes or no to each question.

Thanks a lot. I'll have more questions at a later time.

Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Ok so I'm near the end obviously. I just need to know the answer to two questions. Please somebody answer just with yes or no.

Thanks a lot. Will have other questions in another moment.
No and no.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Thanks a lot. Will have other questions in another moment.
No (x2).

Oct 29, 2017
That's cause you never finished the chain before the end of the game so it restarts that one in the epilogue as it wouldn't make as much sense finishing it years later given how it plays out.

Also I really don't get people's complaints about chapter five, it's rather short and to me just adds to the story.
Yeah that makes sense, I figured it would be something like that. Just thought it was odd because I've picked other stranger missions up where I left of in Chapter 4/5/6 but I guess those are collectable quests and it would be such a dick move to end those after Chapter 6 and make players start over again.

There’s another part of it near the end that pops up near the ranch from the epilogue. It’s really easy to miss earlier in the game because there’s no reason to really be over there and it only pops up if you’re close to it. The quest just resets if you make it to the epilogue without finishing it
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep an eye out this time.

Oct 27, 2017
This game does try it's hardest to annoy you post-game.

Little tip - when doing the hunting requests side-mission, make sure you hunt birds and reptiles first as they don't decompose. Spent ages looking for a skunk. Went hunting the other animals and in the mean time the skunk just rots away. The dumb thing is you can't send animals one at a time, which makes this mechanic even more annoying.

TLDR - anyone know where a skunk at? :/

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Okay, I need some impression of PS4 Pro players please. How is your overall performance like?
Locked 30fps? Some drops in the city? How is riding though thick forest vs. empty plains? Is the performance changing depending on the weather/fog effects?
I feel like I'm losing my mind here. Don't get me wrong, the game runs fine... but not exactly perfect. I feel very often there is a microstutter or something like that.
Especially in busy scenes frames are dropped, which is to be expected.. but then later on in similar scenes the game runs very smoothly. It seems though there is no rhyme or reason for these changes. It seems the game randomly switches between periods of smooth and not-so-smooth gameplay.
Looking at impressions from other people and videos like Digital Foundry Analyses, it appears they don't have this problem.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing this... or maybe my Pro is defective. I don't know :( Please help!!

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I need some impression of PS4 Pro players please. How is your overall performance like?
Locked 30fps? Some drops in the city? How is riding though thick forest vs. empty plains? Is the performance changing depending on the weather/fog effects?
I feel like I'm losing my mind here. Don't get me wrong, the game runs fine... but not exactly perfect. I feel very often there is a microstutter or something like that.
Especially in busy scenes frames are dropped, which is to be expected.. but then later on in similar scenes the game runs very smoothly. It seems though there is no rhyme or reason for these changes. It seems the game randomly switches between periods of smooth and not-so-smooth gameplay.
Looking at impressions from other people and videos like Digital Foundry Analyses, it appears they don't have this problem.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing this... or maybe my Pro is defective. I don't know :( Please help!!
Maybe the game hitches a bit when loading new areas into memory? It blows my mind there is no loading screen if you ride from one side of the map to the other considering how dynamic the weather and animal activities are etc etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Performance has been weird for me on the Pro (1080P Supersampling enabled). The game ran smooth at launch (generally 30 fps), with noticeable, but hardly unplayable, dips in the cities, particularly on certain avenues in Saint Denis where there are dozens of unique light sources penetrating the heavy fog that sometimes comes in at night. Since the patch came out that introduced the online mode, performance has been somewhat better in that area, but it also looks significantly worse, like they changed how the lighting is rendered so it looks nowhere near as majestic and ethereal as it did on release. Meanwhile, I now get random performance dips elsewhere that seem to be tied to absolutely nothing. But I also used to have the occasional texture ghosting issue and I haven't experienced that since the patch. So I don't know what's going on. The game definitely doesn't look as good as I remember it looking on launch, but I'm OK with frame dips to maintain atmosphere; I can understand why they'd prioritize framerate as they rolled out the online features. I just wish I could revert to the original unpatched game.

Oct 27, 2017
Game absolutely looks worse on base PS4 after the patch, and I don't notice a performance increase. Hair looking wrong under certain light, skin issues on models, anf effects have this strange quality that is hard to describe, but I remember being in Far Cry 3 a lot. Like something going through a transporter in Star Trek.