• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished chapter 6....

Remember when some people were saying how "bland" and "generic" Arthur appeared as a character?Well this game should teach them to wait and see before they judge from any trailer.

Anyway i can't wait to finish the Epilogue too and check out the spoiler thread as well.

One thing i know is that i am playing RDR 1 after this.It will be very interesting to see everything again but this time knowing what happened before the game.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Arthur is the best R* main character ever imo.

Speaking of, Roger Clark just won best performance as Arthur at the Keighley Awards. So cool to see him get recognition, one of the best voice performances I've ever heard in a video game.

But his acceptance blew my mind because he sounded Irish! I would have never guessed that in a million years. Did a good job suppressing the accent.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Probably has been discussed but I'm kinda LTTP, so so hate me for not reading trough hundreds of pages.

I started the game last week and for the first few hours in Chapter 2 I didn't do many missions but roamed the west/northwest part of the map instead.
The performance on my PS4 Pro was a little all over the place. Mostly fine, but a lot of frame drops in busier areas and a lot of "micro stuttering", don't know how else to call it. It often just didn't feel clean.

Now I have played
the train mission with John and the boys
and since I started the mission everything seems much smoother. I can't explain this.

sorry to quote myself here but this is so freaking weird. In my first 15 hours or so the game often had some noticeable performance problems (nothing gamebreaking of course) but since I've started a (seemingly) random story mission the game runs smoother overall. I mean... what? Has anyone experienced anything like that?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking to the sheriff about a bounty, then what looks like a cigarette rolls across the desk for some reason (like Elder Scrolls physics), and the deputy pulls his gun and makes me leave the area. Can't start the story mission there, due to my recent "crimes", heh!

Oct 25, 2017
There's one thing that always fucks with my immersion. It's really cool when you walk up to the campfire and the person invites you over and has a chat with you. What is not really cool is when they seem to have a spell of dementia right when they're done talking to me and forget what is going on and how they were being friendly a second ago.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm nearing the end of chapter 6 and I love this game but reading that
There are 2 epilogue chapters afterwards bums me out. I feel like I have to play them but I'm honestly feeling like I want to the game to be done already. It's a long ass game and chapter 5 also felt like it shouldn't exist or simply be a single mission to end chapter 4/start chapter 6

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
What an odd glitch I've had. I started the 'Chains that Bind Us' (think that's the name anyway) Stranger mission in Rhodes, did the second stage of it and now in the epilogue it's popped back up in Rhodes to start again.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I'm nearing the end of chapter 6 and I love this game but reading that
There are 2 epilogue chapters afterwards bums me out. I feel like I have to play them but I'm honestly feeling like I want to the game to be done already. It's a long ass game and chapter 5 also felt like it shouldn't exist or simply be a single mission to end chapter 4/start chapter 6
For what it's worth - I think that's the common consensus on Chapter 5. As for the epilogue:
If you've played the first Red Dead Redemption, then I think it has some nice moments, and finding out what some of the fates are of other characters is interesting - but overall, as much as I loved RDR2, I would agree that it's just too long a game.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
What an odd glitch I've had. I started the 'Chains that Bind Us' (think that's the name anyway) Stranger mission in Rhodes, did the second stage of it and now in the epilogue it's popped back up in Rhodes to start again.

That's cause you never finished the chain before the end of the game so it restarts that one in the epilogue as it wouldn't make as much sense finishing it years later given how it plays out.

Also I really don't get people's complaints about chapter five, it's rather short and to me just adds to the story.

Oct 25, 2017

There's another part of it near the end that pops up near the ranch from the epilogue. It's really easy to miss earlier in the game because there's no reason to really be over there and it only pops up if you're close to it. The quest just resets if you make it to the epilogue without finishing it

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Same thing just happened to me today with Mr White and Mr Black.

Ok so I'm near the end obviously. I just need to know the answer to two questions. Please somebody answer just with yes or no.

Do I get to somehow play as Arthur again for the post game?
Or at least the option to play as someone other than John?

Please, only yes or no to each question.

Thanks a lot. I'll have more questions at a later time.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Ok so I'm near the end obviously. I just need to know the answer to two questions. Please somebody answer just with yes or no.

Thanks a lot. Will have other questions in another moment.
No and no.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Thanks a lot. Will have other questions in another moment.
No (x2).

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
That's cause you never finished the chain before the end of the game so it restarts that one in the epilogue as it wouldn't make as much sense finishing it years later given how it plays out.

Also I really don't get people's complaints about chapter five, it's rather short and to me just adds to the story.

Yeah that makes sense, I figured it would be something like that. Just thought it was odd because I've picked other stranger missions up where I left of in Chapter 4/5/6 but I guess those are collectable quests and it would be such a dick move to end those after Chapter 6 and make players start over again.

There's another part of it near the end that pops up near the ranch from the epilogue. It's really easy to miss earlier in the game because there's no reason to really be over there and it only pops up if you're close to it. The quest just resets if you make it to the epilogue without finishing it

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep an eye out this time.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game does try it's hardest to annoy you post-game.

Little tip - when doing the hunting requests side-mission, make sure you hunt birds and reptiles first as they don't decompose. Spent ages looking for a skunk. Went hunting the other animals and in the mean time the skunk just rots away. The dumb thing is you can't send animals one at a time, which makes this mechanic even more annoying.

TLDR - anyone know where a skunk at? :/

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Okay, I need some impression of PS4 Pro players please. How is your overall performance like?
Locked 30fps? Some drops in the city? How is riding though thick forest vs. empty plains? Is the performance changing depending on the weather/fog effects?
I feel like I'm losing my mind here. Don't get me wrong, the game runs fine... but not exactly perfect. I feel very often there is a microstutter or something like that.
Especially in busy scenes frames are dropped, which is to be expected.. but then later on in similar scenes the game runs very smoothly. It seems though there is no rhyme or reason for these changes. It seems the game randomly switches between periods of smooth and not-so-smooth gameplay.
Looking at impressions from other people and videos like Digital Foundry Analyses, it appears they don't have this problem.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing this... or maybe my Pro is defective. I don't know :( Please help!!

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I need some impression of PS4 Pro players please. How is your overall performance like?
Locked 30fps? Some drops in the city? How is riding though thick forest vs. empty plains? Is the performance changing depending on the weather/fog effects?
I feel like I'm losing my mind here. Don't get me wrong, the game runs fine... but not exactly perfect. I feel very often there is a microstutter or something like that.
Especially in busy scenes frames are dropped, which is to be expected.. but then later on in similar scenes the game runs very smoothly. It seems though there is no rhyme or reason for these changes. It seems the game randomly switches between periods of smooth and not-so-smooth gameplay.
Looking at impressions from other people and videos like Digital Foundry Analyses, it appears they don't have this problem.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing this... or maybe my Pro is defective. I don't know :( Please help!!

Maybe the game hitches a bit when loading new areas into memory? It blows my mind there is no loading screen if you ride from one side of the map to the other considering how dynamic the weather and animal activities are etc etc.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Performance has been weird for me on the Pro (1080P Supersampling enabled). The game ran smooth at launch (generally 30 fps), with noticeable, but hardly unplayable, dips in the cities, particularly on certain avenues in Saint Denis where there are dozens of unique light sources penetrating the heavy fog that sometimes comes in at night. Since the patch came out that introduced the online mode, performance has been somewhat better in that area, but it also looks significantly worse, like they changed how the lighting is rendered so it looks nowhere near as majestic and ethereal as it did on release. Meanwhile, I now get random performance dips elsewhere that seem to be tied to absolutely nothing. But I also used to have the occasional texture ghosting issue and I haven't experienced that since the patch. So I don't know what's going on. The game definitely doesn't look as good as I remember it looking on launch, but I'm OK with frame dips to maintain atmosphere; I can understand why they'd prioritize framerate as they rolled out the online features. I just wish I could revert to the original unpatched game.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Game absolutely looks worse on base PS4 after the patch, and I don't notice a performance increase. Hair looking wrong under certain light, skin issues on models, anf effects have this strange quality that is hard to describe, but I remember being in Far Cry 3 a lot. Like something going through a transporter in Star Trek.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
A week after completing the epilogue and I'm still eating up everything I can to do with this game. The score especially. Some absolute classics in there.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Quick question — Is it possible to miss an opportunity for a mission by doing a "Dutch" mission, or presumably a mission that moves the story along more than another?

So for instance I just started Chapter 4, and there's a Mary Beth mission, a Leopoldo Strauss Mission, and a Dutch Mission. So doing the Dutch mission won't possibly make me lose out on doing the other two? Just as an example.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Quick question — Is it possible to miss an opportunity for a mission by doing a "Dutch" mission, or presumably a mission that moves the story along more than another?

So for instance I just started Chapter 4, and there's a Mary Beth mission, a Leopoldo Strauss Mission, and a Dutch Mission. So doing the Dutch mission won't possibly make me lose out on doing the other two? Just as an example.

Strauss missions are missable and will expire at the end of each chapter. Things like hunting requests, home invasions and stagecoach robberies can also be lost if not completed when they pop up and although some of them will reappear at a later point in the chapter the majority of them are chapter-exclusive since things change so much between chapters (although at chapter 4 you've probably either completed or missed the buld of those types of missions anyway). Basically any missions with white icons (barring the stranger '?' missions out in the world) have the potential to be missed by the player. Stranger missions can all be done at any point, except for "Brothers and Sisters, One and All" which can be missed.

As far as I'm aware the only yellow (main) mission that can be missed out on by progressing through the story was one back in chapter 2 with John. The others are missions that will be missed if you do not accept them as well as a few that are locked behind honour requirements in chapter 6. The missions with Mary will also expire at the end of chapters as well.

If you don't mind mission title spoilers (as well as seeing how many chapters there are etc.) here's a guide on reddit showing which missions can be missed in each chapter.

Finished off the last challenge today, I am now a Legend of the West. Guessing the scarf/neckerchief thing is outfit only and not a separate item though, which is a shame.

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Slowly made it to chapter 5.

well, I wasn't expecting that at all. No idea how I managed to stay unspoiled after all the "glitches and random funny stuff in RDR2" videos I've seen. Totally unexpected also because there's a huge portion of the regular map I hadn't touched yet and already seemed too much to cover in 2 chapters, and now it looks like everything will be crammed into chapter 6

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Strauss missions are missable and will expire at the end of each chapter. Things like hunting requests, home invasions and stagecoach robberies can also be lost if not completed when they pop up and although some of them will reappear at a later point in the chapter the majority of them are chapter-exclusive since things change so much between chapters (although at chapter 4 you've probably either completed or missed the buld of those types of missions anyway). Basically any missions with white icons (barring the stranger '?' missions out in the world) have the potential to be missed by the player. Stranger missions can all be done at any point, except for "Brothers and Sisters, One and All" which can be missed.

As far as I'm aware the only yellow (main) mission that can be missed out on by progressing through the story was one back in chapter 2 with John. The others are missions that will be missed if you do not accept them as well as a few that are locked behind honour requirements in chapter 6. The missions with Mary will also expire at the end of chapters as well.

If you don't mind mission title spoilers (as well as seeing how many chapters there are etc.) here's a guide on reddit showing which missions can be missed in each chapter.

Finished off the last challenge today, I am now a Legend of the West. Guessing the scarf/neckerchief thing is outfit only and not a separate item though, which is a shame.
Thank you SOO much! :)

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at my first theater show in St Denis... what on earth is this game. The attention to detail is truly unbelievable. The band was literally mocapped exactly in time with the song/drummer on beat.

Also I feel like I haven't done any hunting or upgrading of anything so far and I'm into Chapter 4... do I neee to do any of that? Just haven't been sure really how to approach that.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I finished this two days ago and I'm still thinking about it constantly. The story, the characters, music, and world. This really is a special game for me at a time in my life where most games I play are very disposable. Probably going to start up a new game soon and do all the side stuff.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through the game and I can't be arsed to continue. The game doesn't pull you in, doesn't make you addicted. One or two of all the guys in my friend list finished it, everybody else apparently quit, at least for the time being.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm at my first theater show in St Denis... what on earth is this game. The attention to detail is truly unbelievable. The band was literally mocapped exactly in time with the song/drummer on beat.

Also I feel like I haven't done any hunting or upgrading of anything so far and I'm into Chapter 4... do I neee to do any of that? Just haven't been sure really how to approach that.
Go back to the theater later and enjoy an entirely different show. The attention to detail is utterly insane.

You don't need to do any hunting or crafting to complete the game, no. That said, I played through the game once and mostly ignored the crafting, and I'm on my second playthrough and I'm trying to do it all, and it definitely makes a difference. It may be entirely in my head, but it feels like it makes other gang members more engaged, even moreso than when you upgrade their quarters via the ledger. The satchels that increase carrying capacity are certainly useful to have as early as possible. Also, since most of the legendary hunts offer trinkets that give bonuses to XP gain, it makes a lot more sense to do them early rather than in the endgame.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm halfway through the game and I can't be arsed to continue. The game doesn't pull you in, doesn't make you addicted. One or two of all the guys in my friend list finished it, everybody else apparently quit, at least for the time being.
I could not disagree more strongly. I'll admit that the early game is a very slow build. But after you start exploring what the world has to offer, I haven't wanted to do much since. I'm on my second playthrough and I'm still finding so many things I've never even seen before. I appreciate that it isn't for everybody, but when you say the game doesn't pull you in, my response is "fucking bullshit."

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to chapter 6 yesterday and this game keeps on giving. So much content just for the main story.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the main game starting the epilogue.

This is the best game I've ever played.

I'm gonna work on a thread about it at some point. Everything I've critized about rockstar stories and narrative they addressed. It's as if they read all of it criticisms and addressed them 100%.

I think the game is as near enough to perfect as you can get.

In the final missions I knew right where the story was going but I was so invest d and really wanted to see it play out that way and it did entirely and perfectly. Where GTA5 they were too timid to do the right thing with th story, they did it perfectly in RDR2.

Altho that said... Chapter 5 could be cut completely and it'd make zero difference at all. Completely forgetable save for the setting. It's very similar to that floating island stage in uncharted 3 from a story perspective.

It's a brilliant game, it nearly brought me to tears twice, and no game has ever come close to that. The scene in chapter 6 where Arthur tells the nun 'im scared sister...' while he's tearing up I was like "oh....... Shit...." That was powerful for a video game.

It's terrific and brilliant and at 2am

Last edited:

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Yeah the story on this game still blows me away with how much it drew me in and had an effect on me emotionally. I was tore up about it for days after finally beating it, I still think about that shit lol.

The online is a nice distraction atm while I let things settle before I eventually do a second playthrough, I miss Arthur and I would have never assumed he would make me so indifferent on John compared to before I played the game.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone tell me the name of the mission which concludes chapter 4? I don't know what happens in chapter 5, but I'm aware it's encouraged that I do most of the exploration before it.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Definitely already one of the best games I've ever played, and I just started Chapter 4. Might even be the best, in my 35 years of gaming. Can't believe I'm only %45 done with the story. Very generous game.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
98.9% complete.

Herbalist 9 is giving me nightmares, because it has no checklist and I have to double check every plant now. Literally everything else had a checklist, but not this one. I'm also stuck at 3/4 robberies, despite having done a robbery of each type multiple times. Read that it might have something to do with stagecoaches, but I don't really know.

Also, I found a giant ape (I assume a Gorilla?) in a half broken box out in the wild. It's dead/stuffed, but that was still crazy to find. I have 214 hours played and it still surprised me.

Oct 31, 2017
Um, wtf just happened? I'll put it in spoiler tags, but it started with finding someone hanging on the road.

I go to check on him thinking it's a serial killer clue. Then two enemies appear behind me. They almost seemed like zombies, so I'm about to pull out my gun to scare them down, and one stabs and kills me immediately. I went back there and the body is no longer there.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Um, wtf just happened? I'll put it in spoiler tags, but it started with finding someone hanging on the road.

I go to check on him thinking it's a serial killer clue. Then two enemies appear behind me. They almost seemed like zombies, so I'm about to pull out my gun to scare them down, and one stabs and kills me immediately. I went back there and the body is no longer there.
Yeah, that's a random event with those fucking MURBROODS or whatever They're called. It's a fucked up gang of dirty hillbilly's who prefer melee weapons. And yeah, melee can be super deadly in this game, best take out those savages quickly

On a related note, can anyone tell me the point of Gang Hideouts? Just a bunch of dudes to kill...? I did one and don't think I received anything special — in fact I'm pretty sure I just killed those guys, looted them, and walked out. Am I missing something?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question in regards to the law system. I robbed a general store with a mask twice. First time, no bounty. Second time, a lawman saw me and knew who I was immediately. Can the law see right through a bandana/masks?

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while that I played it but I'm back, with a new TV and the input lag is much better but I still can't fully get used to free aiming. Just to be sure that I have this right, for best aiming I should have it like this?

Lock on mode on foot/mount = free aim
Aim assist strength on foot/mount = off

Aim/look acceleration completely on(to the right)
Aim/look dead zone off (all left)

Same for first person. Anything else?

Also, what is the setting for when I rotate the camera during horseback and that it snaps back into default so fast? There is a way to make this slower/lasts longer.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that's a random event with those fucking MURBROODS or whatever They're called. It's a fucked up gang of dirty hillbilly's who prefer melee weapons. And yeah, melee can be super deadly in this game, best take out those savages quickly

On a related note, can anyone tell me the point of Gang Hideouts? Just a bunch of dudes to kill...? I did one and don't think I received anything special — in fact I'm pretty sure I just killed those guys, looted them, and walked out. Am I missing something?

I encountered them again, only this time it was a woman crying and then I was surrounded. Got them this time! Thanks.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Everyone knows you can put your pistols away with style by double tapping L1/LB, right? Try it after a duel for some extra badassery.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Was taking down posters for the two criminals outside of Rhodes, finished all of them and then there was no next part to the quest... is this a glitch?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm ok. I guess I was surprised there wasn't a marker where to go after finding the posters... went back to where they were originally but they weren't there.

Did your quest log update? Should say "This will continue at a later time." under the correct mission. You access the log via pressing left on the D-Pad.