• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There's a weight mechanic in the game? I eat once a day at most and that's only if I actually go back to camp.

I must have caused Arthur's
poor health/tb
😭

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You got a bit more to go
I'm actually getting worn out despite my enjoyment, whew.

Also, funny inconsistency regarding an important stranger mission

Ended up finishing all the Mrs. Downes stuff early before formally starting Chapter 6 and to my surprise, the cutscene that closes out Ch. 5 has Arthur surprised that she's still doing her work. Made it all unintentionally dark.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Chapter 6 Spoilers

Couldve sworn I'd read about how much new land opens up in Chapter 6. So frustrating for literally nothing new to open up. I need to stop reading bullshit posts

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
I'm actually getting worn out despite my enjoyment, whew.

Also, funny inconsistency regarding an important stranger mission

Ended up finishing all the Mrs. Downes stuff early before formally starting Chapter 6 and to my surprise, the cutscene that closes out Ch. 5 has Arthur surprised that she's still doing her work. Made it all unintentionally dark.
I got tired by the beginning of chapter 6 so I rushed the game. Don't wanna disappoint you nor spoil anything but all I am going to say is have some patience...
Chapter 6 Spoilers

Couldve sworn I'd read about how much new land opens up in Chapter 6. So frustrating for literally nothing new to open up. I need to stop reading bullshit posts
Keep playing. Not going to say anything more...

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Chapter 6 Spoilers

Are you sure it didn't say "after" Chapter 6? Because after Chapter 6, a lot of new land opens up. Not that it's much of a spoiler, since the map is included with all physical copies of the game and shows the entire play area.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait

There's a reason I have this map of New Austin in my physical copy isn't there lol

I kinda put 2 n 2 together

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
7.5% is max overweight, and it gives a nasty core drain -25% like max underweight, so ouch. Time for Arthur to go on an always healthy starvation diet.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Red Dead Online takes place there, so there's that...

I, surprisingly, managed to go on blackout on everything Red Dead the last few months before purchasing and I never got to read up on MP either. But I did have an inkling somehow so when I opened up the case of my copy and unfolded the map I was like
giphy.gif

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
After the one that I posted (v1.04), they also had an other one yestery (v1.05), so you most likely got booted because of it. Games with MP are more likely to boot you out of the game, because they want to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Btw. patch notes for v1.05:

Red Dead Online Beta General / Miscellaneous – PS4, Xbox One
  • General improvements to fix game stability, save data and to address exploits.

lol

Sure, but I'm not even playing online right now and it's a "beta" (ha ha). I wish they'd at least not boot you and let you stay offline so you can resume or save.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Did the new update fix the issue with preferred loadouts not saving?

I think that's my one annoyance with the game still. Despite going into a gunsmith and saving a certain repeater and shotgun as my back and shoulder weapons respectively, the game discards it as soon as I get on my horse.

Nope, most of the patch notes are for MP stuff it seems.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I've been getting a lot more out of it because I no longer feel like I need to race through the story to avoid spoilers. I'm only midway through Chapter 3 and my overall completion percentage is higher than when I was midway through Chapter 5 on my first playthrough. I've upgraded all the camp things you can buy, I've almost completely upgraded all the camp things you need to craft (no idea why my camp mates are so picky about perfect pelts for seat covers for a fucking log, but whatever), I have every satchel upgrade except the final one (still need a cougar, which I'm hunting with a bow thanks to one of the challenges), I have basically all the trinkets and talismans, I've done a lot more of the challenges, my stats are maxed for the current area, I'm doing more of the treasure hunts and dino bones and rock carvings and cigarette cards and points of interest and rare weapons and legendary fish... Yeah, it's great. There's so much I missed the first time around, and even then the game seemed overwhelming. There's something very cathartic about just sitting on a rock in the rain, overlooking a road and hoping a cougar will spawn while watching all the animals carry on their lives around you.
A lot of my enjoyment in the game comes from moments like those you mentioned. Just sitting watching the sun come up at 6 am, drinking a cup of coffee, etc. Or slowly walking through Saint Denis the first time you get there — just moments of sheer awe.

My play through was straight up evil with very low honor (constant bounties, towns people starting fights with you, etc) It made it kind of rough. In fact sometimes it felt like the game was more designed for a high honor play through like RDR1 was.

I'm curious as to whether it's worth it to put in a very high honor play through, I absolutely loved this game, it's just so huge.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate doing this but I've been slowly working my way through this game since it came out and I'm genuinely curious approximately how far through the main story I am, last two missions I did were
breaking John out of jail and helping Eagle Flies with his horses in Chapter 6.

Seems like the story is starting to pick up now after I thought it was going pretty slow earlier in the game.
I like that Dutch is becoming unhinged and there's some true conflict between him and Arthur.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I really hate doing this but I've been slowly working my way through this game since it came out and I'm genuinely curious approximately how far through the main story I am, last two missions I did were
breaking John out of jail and helping Eagle Flies with his horses in Chapter 6.

Seems like the story is starting to pick up now after I thought it was going pretty slow earlier in the game.
I like that Dutch is becoming unhinged and there's some true conflict between him and Arthur.
Maybe halfway to the end of Chapter 6.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm people said that the IQ improved with 1.03 but i didnt noticed any improvements. With this new update tho... I think the game looks way better on 4k tv

I'm with you there. I booted it up after 1.05 installed and was blinking hard in disbelief as I was playing, thinking it was just me. It definitely looks a lot better.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Once you kill a legendary animal, it's gone. If you lose the carcass/pelt, the parts are still delivered to the trapper and fence to make everything you would be able to, you just lose out on a little cash from selling it.

There's a largish island immediately west of Rhodes that has iguana on it.

Around Lemoyne area? Never noticed that island. Im checking it out tonight

Ps. I got it confused between east and west. Okay. But never noticed that island though

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the fully upgraded satchel. Never really felt pressed for space but it was pretty fun getting into hunting for the materials, hadn't done much before. It really helps you get to know and appreciate the world and all of the little systems within it, I've only become more impressed with the game the more I play it.

Also the stranger mission where
Arthur has to lead a horse back to the guy with one leg, and he's talking to the horse telling him to be good and behave is so damn endearing.
Arthur is such a great character.

Oct 25, 2017
The exotic quest is straight up unfun and I don't know why they stuck it in this game. There's nothing fun about blinding shooting birds hoping you find the shit you need

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6

man, I just love the script. Rockstar is the real deal. I just love how Arthur is changing after he knows he is dying. He trying to do some good ,maybe to compensate for his outlaw life. He is not look for salvation or the paradise, just seeing the world by the lenses of helpless folk, and putting in their shoes. This should have been the game of the year, and I loved God of war, but red dead is just in another league

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
This game still has one of the best endings ever. I can't recall another game with such a deep connection to the main character.
Not sure if you're talking about the epilogue (haven't finished yet) but if you mean chapter 6, absolutely.

I just loaded up my save before the last 3 missions to replay it. Wept like a baby for the second time. The pacing and the emotions of certain story beats, goddamn. Those last few hours are powerful.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epilogue chapter (in progress)

Playing as John was an expected no-brainer, but all these set-ups for all of the first game's stuff is getting me way more giddy than I should be.

The classic music during John's first gunfight as a ranch hand was hype

Absurdeity

Jun 2, 2018
So I was doing the stranger mission with the widow burying her husband north of Annesburg. While we we're walking I aimed my bow and I think that scared her and she ran and canceled the mission? Now it won't show up...

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just came across someone camping west of Kanassa River and he invited to set next by his fire, so I rest by and he and I see pictures of naked girls hanged in his tent, he starts talking to me about women and suddenly starts talking about a women he found up north that asked him to go away but "made him feel really good" and that he'd love to go there to live with her and have a "nice bed" or whatever, at this point I realized that the guy was a rapist and he somehow recognizes me? Attempts to run away when I get closer to him to choke him but he ran away, ended up shooting him with my rifle.

I have no idea why would my honor get lowered for killing a potential rapist (who probably raped before?), but I do wonder how the hell did this guy recognize me? I don't recall meeting him before in the game.

Also, was the widow he was talking about the same one up Brandywine Drop? I haven't gotten far with her quests yet.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't tame this arabian. I just keep getting bucked backwards almost immediately. Do I need to click the left analog in and also move it around? I'm mashing square as well during all of this. Been at it for like an hour lol

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the cusp of finishing the game but I've also finally realized that there's one particular aspect of the game's visuals that rubs me the wrong way.

It's most of the characters from RDR1.

On the one hand, it's great that they're clearly using their models from the first game and built upon them using the tech they have now.

But on the other hand, they look pretty out of place a bunch of times when they share a scene with the new people that are clearly modeled out of more realistic references. Marston and one other returning Stranger from the first game in particular look pretty weird. In fact, Dutch's eyes have been kind of bothering me for some time now.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
So I just came across someone camping west of Kanassa River and he invited to set next by his fire, so I rest by and he and I see pictures of naked girls hanged in his tent, he starts talking to me about women and suddenly starts talking about a women he found up north that asked him to go away but "made him feel really good" and that he'd love to go there to live with her and have a "nice bed" or whatever, at this point I realized that the guy was a rapist and he somehow recognizes me? Attempts to run away when I get closer to him to choke him but he ran away, ended up shooting him with my rifle.

I have no idea why would my honor get lowered for killing a potential rapist (who probably raped before?), but I do wonder how the hell did this guy recognize me? I don't recall meeting him before in the game.

Also, was the widow he was talking about the same one up Brandywine Drop? I haven't gotten far with her quests yet.

You heard it wrong. He said the way she told him to leave made him feel good, like she didn't tell him to fuck off, but was polite about it. Guy is a weirdo like a peeper, but didn't rape her.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It is so cool

Chapter BH spoiler

I got that perfect moment for achieving full good meter right after finishing her strauss missions. The timing is so perfect since the story is about arthur defending all his debtors. The interesting thing in my playthrough is that i dont take all their money for the last missions. So yeah the moment syncs perfectly with my story direction

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You heard it wrong. He said the way she told him to leave made him feel good, like she didn't tell him to fuck off, but was polite about it. Guy is a weirdo like a peeper, but didn't rape her.
I know, I thought that he was going to rape her.
Stop making me feel bad about killing him >.< Dammit!

Well, at least he was a creep, that counts.. right... RIGHT?

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I just can't tame this arabian. I just keep getting bucked backwards almost immediately. Do I need to click the left analog in and also move it around? I'm mashing square as well during all of this. Been at it for like an hour lol
You also have to hold back on the left stick and push opposite of the direction the horse is turning.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I know, I thought that he was going to rape her.
Stop making me feel bad about killing him >.< Dammit!

Well, at least he was a creep, that counts.. right... RIGHT?

Just a game. I hold plenty of liberal views IRL, but in a game suddenly I'm the Punisher for small transgressions. Rude to me when I said hello? Fist fight to the death. Stole something, even though I'm a killer? Capital punishment time! That's a nice horse there, mister! Mine now!

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a game. I hold plenty of liberal views IRL, but in a game suddenly I'm the Punisher for small transgressions. Rude to me when I said hello? Fist fight to the death. Stole something, even though I'm a killer? Capital punishment time! That's a nice horse there, mister! Mine now!
Oh, we all just choose how to role play, I myself I'm a good doer mostly so my honor is rather high (And it seems to fit rather well in the story, too? at least by chapter 5).

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I've read posts where people say Arthur is pulling his gun at random, and then others claiming user error, but I get that at times, and I can look down at the controller and see I'm not touching R2, yet he is doing it. I guess it could be an issue with some dualshocks, but regardless, it is something that happens without being intended.

OCD manual saver.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
are there anymore money glitches in the single player that i can do while in chapter 2? seems the gold bar glitch is gone. i wonder... can i reinstall rdr2 without the patch and still load my save so i can do the gold glitch?

You don't really need a money glitch. Use a guide if necessary to do all the Treasure Hunter Challenges and you should finish those with around 8-10 Gold Bars. I've never glitched once, have $2700 on hand, all upgrades are done to the camp, got nice as customized guns and still got 7 gold bars in my stash yet to cash in. There's a mission early in Chapter 3 that gives you a lot of cash, that's where I started to get comfortable with my moolah.

I've been getting a lot more out of it because I no longer feel like I need to race through the story to avoid spoilers. I'm only midway through Chapter 3 and my overall completion percentage is higher than when I was midway through Chapter 5 on my first playthrough. I've upgraded all the camp things you can buy, I've almost completely upgraded all the camp things you need to craft (no idea why my camp mates are so picky about perfect pelts for seat covers for a fucking log, but whatever), I have every satchel upgrade except the final one (still need a cougar, which I'm hunting with a bow thanks to one of the challenges), I have basically all the trinkets and talismans, I've done a lot more of the challenges, my stats are maxed for the current area, I'm doing more of the treasure hunts and dino bones and rock carvings and cigarette cards and points of interest and rare weapons and legendary fish... Yeah, it's great. There's so much I missed the first time around, and even then the game seemed overwhelming. There's something very cathartic about just sitting on a rock in the rain, overlooking a road and hoping a cougar will spawn while watching all the animals carry on their lives around you.

This is me on my first playthrough, lol. Bought the game on launch weekend, currently at about 35% story complete (a couple of missions left in Chapter 3) and 54% completion, 40 Challenges completed, trying to get all the trinkets but having trouble with the Dino Bones. Guide says there's one at a certain ace, look everywhere, can't find it, try another location, look everywhere, nothing. In the RDR app is says I have found 2 but I can't find a way to send these to the archeologist so I can get that one thing I need for the trinket. So frustrating.

Also, in response to you saying you like sitting on a rock in the rain watching the animals, have you seen two Bucks fight? I've only come across it once and the final death blow had just been made with the winner darting off.

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff disappears a little too fast. I get the memory limitations and all, but I fought some guys by a wagon, a witness decided that the woods would be a lovely place to explore, I have to gun him down because I guess he's a horse jockey, and when I return everything despawned. It wasn't that far away.

Oh, and witnesses suck. I just metagame it now and waste them outside of towns. It's so ridiculous how they appear and how they are all such upstanding citizens that must report your crime of not dying when you are in a shootout. If it wasn't for the GTA crime system in this......

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously fuck anyone who says Rockstar can't write, this is probably the best written game of all time.

I hate people

Remember when so many trashed arthur for being another white dude protag? He is easily one of the best. People wanted AC styled gender options too

I cant imagine how much work that would have been, especially considering how the epilgue works

People didn't trust rockstar to do a good story.

As someone who thought gta V and gTa iv was forgettable, Im blown out of the water with red dead

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
General Chapter 6 spoilers, midway through.

Wow, this mission where Rains Fall takes you through the mountains and Arthur speaks about Dutch, his son (????!!) all while amazing views are appearing around every corner... unbelievable. So good.

I also like that Arthur has found himself a friend outside of the gang with the Veteran. Those moments are pretty endearing.

Chapter 6 is easily the best so far. The dynamics are just so interesting. And Arthur has become one of my favorite characters ever.

Oct 25, 2017
I do hate how triangle can make you tackle someone if you misjudge the distance to your horse. I was just trying to go hunt some birds and now every cop in Saint Denis is fucking shooting at me

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6

man, I just love the script. Rockstar is the real deal. I just love how Arthur is changing after he knows he is dying. He trying to do some good ,maybe to compensate for his outlaw life. He is not look for salvation or the paradise, just seeing the world by the lenses of helpless folk, and putting in their shoes. This should have been the game of the year, and I loved God of war, but red dead is just in another league
I completely agree. Im actually salty that God of War won. I dont think it's anywhere near RDR's league and that the story constantly felt disjointed, and rushed, and I cannot get over how poorly likeable the characters were compared to RDR.

Im irrationally annoyed by the American accents in God of War.

Anyways, Im watching some random footage on Youtube and am blown away with just how much stuff you can miss. I feel torn on loading up an old save and continuing with the post-game. I feel completely unsettled and bitter about it all, and I applaud Rockstar for
having the guts to write something so tragic. Even a game like Last of Us had closure, but this game just leaves me wrenched.

I also really hope Rockstar re-writes RDR1. I just dont see how I could play a remaster without John ever mentioning Arthur. Just fix up the obvious fact that it was written without RDR2 in mind. Much as I love RDR2, there just seems to be a gaping hole in the depth of the characters and motivations in RDR1