• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Why does this game have stealth missions? It's so bad at it. Like, really bad. The worst. Not only aren't there mechanics or AI for it, it's not even consistent with its rules.

"Go to the walkway."
There's a guard there. I murder him with an arrow to the face like I've done to at least one other guard in this mission. But this now makes an alarm sound and the game fails me. So I assume you're supposed to just ignore the guard and shoot the lantern? That's what the objective says. Silently shoot the lantern from the walkway. So I do. The alarm sounds. Three times in a row. I start wondering if it's a bug. Am I not supposed to shoot the lantern with an arrow from the walkway like the game tells me to?

Haven't been this frustrated with a game in a long time.

Watched this, first thought bug confirmed, but no, the alarm sounded because I shot him in the face, where his eyes are. He saw me kill him, and for the milliseconds he had left to live, went into an alert state. Which of course telepathlectrically transferred his split second nerve impulse to the building's alarm system.

Again, why does this game have stealth missions? Most of them just pretend to be, but are actually scripted follows and might as well play themselves, but the second there's the slightest room for player interaction it just fucks up. Thankfully there aren't many of these. But two in quite close proximity in chapter 6 or wherever I'm at.
The stealth missions are actually my favourite part of both SP and Online. I do wish the sight cones were more accurate though, so that you could tell the exact range of their forward arc.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Been a little while away from these kinds of discussions on the game and the game itself, so apologies in advance is this a bit disjointed:

Chapter 3:

I tried being an amateur detective and trying to find out what the O'Driscolls were doing in that backroom in Valentine, but the whole town descended on me. I loaded a save, went on with other things and now I cannot go back. It's a story mission in this chapter right?

Hunting is where I've spent most of my time in the game, I have followed a few guides and am still a bit confused about the 'you have no room in your satchel' stuff. When I successfully bring down a pristine/perfect animal, and I skin it - I get that message. Which satchel in particular do I need to worry about? I don't need to know, I am focusing on them all simultaneously. Got enough deer, looking for elk. Haven't discovered the locations for iguana yet.

Can I just buy improved and small game arrows?

Similarly, I'd just like to buy ammo. I'll craft the special rounds where I need them. Are all gun shops the same?

I don't like fishing in this game, but I've started to plan for it. I've met The Fisher of Fish etc.

Am I wrong to treat this like Skyrim or Fallout and think that some of the more eerie/tantalising locations and notes I find in the world all lead to something? I found what looks to be a nice lovely house in the middle of a swamp and the whole time I'm freaking out while looting the joint thinking someone's about to go all Blair Witch on me.

I will literally be playing this game for years so while spoilers are still a big concern I'm going to probably carve out some time during the holidays to really 'get started' so I can go do the side stuff using the best possible stuff at my disposal.
"You have no room in your satchel" means that you can't take everything that you might otherwise get from an animal. So you're limited to 5 pieces of each specific type of meat, say. If you have 5 venison already, then skinning a deer will still get you the pelt, but not any venison like you would otherwise receive because you don't have room for it. And skinning different animals gives different things; meat, scent glands, feathers, antlers, claws, fangs, etc. So you might be full on one of those things, which is why you'd see that message. You don't run out of space for pelts, so don't worry about that.

You cannot buy any special arrows; they all require crafting. And you can't buy the ingredients anywhere either; I really wish there was an apothecary that sold oleander.

All gun shops have the same stock, all accessible via the magazine.

There are random events tied to a fair number of the houses, shacks and other buildings you stumble across in the wild. Some are just empty and there for curiosity, some are inhabited, some have had the inhabitants die, some will be visited as part of a larger quest chain; you can't really break anything by going and exploring on your own though.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Basically, when they tire themselves out and you have to reel them in, pull your fishing rod back and forward over and over again. With ever pull towards you, the fish will get closer and closer to you. It makes fishing super easy. Legendary fishes will put up a fight still, but you'll get them eventually. If you rely solely on just reeling, you're going to be there forever.

They kept getting away from me initially , but this worked for me - instead of your thumb , put your palm flat on the stick and rotate it that way. The circular motion you need is easy to maintain , and can go really fast. Really enjoyed going for legendary fish afterwards.

Okay I don't know if I got lucky or what but using these two techniques I was able to get the pickerel and smallmouth bass, took me about 30 seconds each. The fuck ?

Anyway guess I mean to say thank you, that worked like a charm.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Was at a lake trying to catch a Legendary Fish. I see these dudes in overalls get into a boat, go out to the middle of the lake, and dump two bodies in.

WTF?

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm in the middle of the game right now, but I'm trying to remember what the encounters with Dutch in RDR1 were like, what he said, etc, because I can't remember that well. But trying to google this is a minefield for RDR2 spoilers.

Can somebody point me to a Wiki/Bio about Dutch *just* based off of RDR1 (no RDR2 material in it)? I'd really appreciate it.
Here's a video of all of Dutch's scenes from RDR1. Warning, because of where you might be in RDR2 story-wise, it might be spoiler territory. And I would advise forgetting what you might remember and just finish playing RDR2 and just add the video to your 'watch later' queue on YouTube.

Fair warning, major spoilers for RDR1/RDR2

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Rockstar's attention to detail knows no bounds.

Look who I came across while fucking around in the mountains.

ySyBuQ8.jpg

I love how much the game rewards you simply for exploring. This is definitely my favorite open world this gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I finally, FINALLY, finished the Legend of the East satchel. The last piece was a cougar, and I was trying to bowhunt them for an unrelated hunting challenge. I go up to a spot where cougars tend to spawn and wait until dawn. I see some raccoons, some rabbits, a boar, a pack of coyotes... and then, there, off between the trees, the big cat emerges. I've already got a few to my name, mind you, but I hadn't actually even scanned one at that point. Take out the binoculars, scan, track, ready the bow. It's a 3-star animal. This is the time. I slowly creep forward, as the big cat turns away from me. I call out and immediately knock an arrow and go into deadeye. As he turns his head to look, an arrow takes him cleanly through the base of the spine. Perfect pelt acquired, the final one for the final satchel. Naturally I raced back to camp as fast as possible so I wouldn't lose it in some freak accident. But now it's mine....

99 fucking inventory slots for EVERYTHING!

This game, yo.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I finally, FINALLY, finished the Legend of the East satchel. The last piece was a cougar, and I was trying to bowhunt them for an unrelated hunting challenge. I go up to a spot where cougars tend to spawn and wait until dawn. I see some raccoons, some rabbits, a boar, a pack of coyotes... and then, there, off between the trees, the big cat emerges. I've already got a few to my name, mind you, but I hadn't actually even scanned one at that point. Take out the binoculars, scan, track, ready the bow. It's a 3-star animal. This is the time. I slowly creep forward, as the big cat turns away from me. I call out and immediately knock an arrow and go into deadeye. As he turns his head to look, an arrow takes him cleanly through the base of the spine. Perfect pelt acquired, the final one for the final satchel. Naturally I raced back to camp as fast as possible so I wouldn't lose it in some freak accident. But now it's mine....

This game, yo.
Totally jealous, hunting is it's own game in and of itself here. Never really go crazy into it but will on my next play through. What system are you on?

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question chapter 6

I just finished the mission that we rescue eagle flies. I set up a tent and go to sleep after the mission. When I wake up, I got a message saying Arthur is very underweight. I never had this before. Is that because his tuberculosis is progressing and he is close to die?? Oh my, I am not ready to let Arthur go.

Red5

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else getting a weird camera glitch where it will point straight down/up when just walking around or on horseback?

Super annoying.

Edit: Found out it's a known issue with Xbox one controllers not the game.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Just finished up the story. Damn. What a fucking game. If I was not unemployed (which make no mistake about it, 110% fully fucking sucks), I am pretty sure I would have beat the game in about 2020. However I do have some free time, and holy shit, what a game. And I am only 78.9% for total completion. Still have a lot to do if I want to.
I will be taking a break though no doubt. Have AC Odyssey to finally start. Still have Spider-Man DLC. Same with Forza 4 Horizon expansion. Then some Battlefield V MP.

Truly this has been a truly fucking amazing year for games, and coming from someone who has been playing them steadily since 1981, I do not say that lightly. But it has been a pretty fucking good year.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
luckily i already unlocked the trophy for getting my reputation to the highest. but goddamn i accidentally bump charles with my horse and that shit dropped like 10% lol

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Played this today for the first time in a month. Got to chapter 4. Really good stuff! I really started getting into the story.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My mother was talking to me about taking a vacation after years of mothering and I said she should go to Tahiti. Now she has seriously considered going at some point in the future and I offered to pay, I just NEED MONEY.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

This game, yo.

Both hunting and satchel upgrades (and more aspects of the game) are some of the porest excuses of gameplay I ever encountered in a game. I am in chapter 6 and not a moment did I thought by myself: well, a bigger satchel would be nice. The hunting itself is, (in my opinion) exremely boring and dreadful and it takes way to much time. Oh yeah, there was one time I didn't have any food for my horse anymore, but that was before I discovered you can pick stuff up behind Pearson.

The game is most fun for me personally when skipping all this filler nonsense. I completely ignore stuff like the camp, talking to people in the camp, fetching shit for them for some hair pomade, challenges and those ridiculous looking trapper outfits. I don't have all the time in the world and the game is already extremely long when just freeroaming and doing stranger/side/main missions.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a weird thing that happened in one of the Epilogue missions for me

Did anyone else get that weird glitch where when John goes to talk to a Banker for a loan, the entire scene restarts two different times from different perspectives and starting points for some reason? Is that intentional?

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Why are the stranger missions time-of-day sensitive? Just have them always available and then skip to the appropriate time upon starting them.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was listening to a discussion between a miner and his wife in Annesburg. Arthur was stood a couple of metres away from them. The miner storms off from the argument in Arthur's direction, acts as though I've pushed him, punches me in the face and I get a wanted level. I couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited:

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question chapter 6

I just finished the mission that we rescue eagle flies. I set up a tent and go to sleep after the mission. When I wake up, I got a message saying Arthur is very underweight. I never had this before. Is that because his tuberculosis is progressing and he is close to die?? Oh my, I am not ready to let Arthur go.
anyone?

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I never got that message. But it is harder to keep him fed because things like cooked meat don't work anymore so you have to feed him a bunch of canned fruit, candies, etc. I would just go to the general store in one of the towns and stock up on canned food, start slamming it. I know things your weight affects your stamina and health cores, but it's not like the game is going to end suddenly because your character is hungry

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
I never got that message. But it is harder to keep him fed because things like cooked meat don't work anymore so you have to feed him a bunch of canned fruit, candies, etc. I would just go to the general store in one of the towns and stock up on canned food, start slamming it. I know things your weight affects your stamina and health cores, but it's not like the game is going to end suddenly because your character is hungry

thanks, will try that. so sad to see him like that

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally back to the game now that the Smash Bros. glow has faded a bit.

Got sighted by the cops during the grave robber mission and even though I didn't hurt any of them, the entire city was on fire with angry police for like 20 straight minutes. The only way I was able to break the hunt was to ride completely out of town and hide in a plantation field.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about the end of Chapter 4:

I finished Chapter 4 and left Guarma, but there was some stuff I wanted to do there before leaving that I never got a chance to. I thought there might have been some dinosaur bones there and I also wanted to hunt some of the local wildlife to get their items. Am I able to travel back to Guarma at all, or am I out of luck?

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017

I finished Chapter 4 and left Guarma, but there was some stuff I wanted to do there before leaving that I never got a chance to. I thought there might have been some dinosaur bones there and I also wanted to hunt some of the local wildlife to get their items. Am I able to travel back to Guarma at all, or am I out of luck?
Out of luck. I'm not even sure there's unique creatures there you can't get anywhere else. That's the end of Chapter 5, by the way

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

There is nothing there that counts towards 100% as you don't have the option to return. So no dino bones or cigarette cards or other collectables. There are unique animals, but they aren't required for 100% completion; you'll just have some gaps in your compendium if you don't manage to scan them. There are three different parrots, a red-footed booby and four different snakes that don't show up anywhere else. I don't believe that they are used in any special crafting recipes at the trapper or anything, so you won't miss out on anything by not collecting them. There are also crabs, iguanas and boars which are also available in the main game area.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I messed up my legendary moose kill after he fell into the water , didn't realise I could lasso him back onto the shore . No biggie I thought , as the pelt and ingredients will still be at the trapper / fence. About 40 hours later , sat on 96% overall completion , and just realised I don't have it in the compendium as a result. Do legendary animals count towards it ?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Easiest legendary fish I ever caught.

I had one swim right to my boat so I didn't even need to reel, but this one has it beat.

I wish hunting and fishing had more of a purpose in the game. So many systems that are OK to have, but feel kinda pointless after a while. Same with gathering herbs I guess, but that's almost never fun in games. I keep grabbing them like I'm compelled to do it, but you hardly need any tonics/consumables in this game, so it's like collecting to collect.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Just got killed by a Lemoine Raider in St. Denis because I didn't want to get a bounty for fucking defending myself.

Yeah, the bounty system is seriously bugged and not working. Yesterday I walked by some dudes, they told me to leave, I didn't, they start shooting and I get a bounty for doing nothing.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Epilogue Part 2 dialogue spoilers

John to Uncle: "...you're very annoying.

Burst out laughing.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I thought I messed up my legendary moose kill after he fell into the water , didn't realise I could lasso him back onto the shore . No biggie I thought , as the pelt and ingredients will still be at the trapper / fence. About 40 hours later , sat on 96% overall completion , and just realised I don't have it in the compendium as a result. Do legendary animals count towards it ?
You only have to scan like 40 or something animals for the compendium piece to count as "complete." Legendaries don't specifically have to be in it to count towards 100% completion.

I know there's a moose marker up there, but I've been through time and time again with no luck. Tried bait, no luck. I'm at a loss.
You can also find them up in the Western Grizzlies in the snowy area around Cairn Lake (where Flaco Hernandez was). This map shows some additional common moose spawns (don't know that I've seen any around Valentine like this claims but going along the mountains across the entire Northern part of the map is usually a good way to find them).

RDR2-Moose-Locations.jpg