• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I think im replaying rdr 2, which satchel is the most important?
As ctfg mentioned, it's best to go for the last one, the Legend of the East satchel. Gives you 99 slots for every type of item.

I focused on getting it early in my second playthrough and it's been great not having to worry about inventory space.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide for animals you used?

Firstly, every satchel below needs a perfect deer hide. So you'll need 7 perfect deer hides. Beyond that:

• a perfect buck hide and a perfect elk hide for the Tonics Satchel
  • a perfect badger skin and a perfect squirrel carcass for the Ingredients Satchel
  • a second perfect elk skin and a perfect panther skin for the Kit Satchel
  • a perfect bison hide and a perfect raccoon skin for the Provisions Satchel
  • a perfect boar hide and a perfect iguana skin for the Materials Satchel
  • a perfect beaver skin and a perfect rabbit skin for the Valuables Satchel
  • a perfect cougar skin and a perfect wolf skin to craft the Legend of the East Satchel

Important to note: Pearson will bankroll all your skins. So let's say you're going after a perfect bison hide, but on the way you spot a perfect squirrel. You can kill both while you're out riding around and turn them both into Pearson at the same time. You'll keep the credit for anything you turn into him until you need to use it to craft a satchel (but remember: be sure to DONATE them to Pearson, don't sell them or anything).

It seems daunting on paper, but it's honestly not too bad imo. And the quality of life increase from all that inventory space is worth it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the exotics quest.. just spent like an hour and a half and didn't find a single egret.
There are three or four spots where birds spawn reliably. Go near one. Save. Check if the birds there are the ones you need. If not, load. Check again. Repeat until you find the kind of birds you need. After you've killed any three birds at that location, move to another spawning zone. Repeat there. After you've visited all the spawning zones and cleared them out, go do something else, sleep a couple days, come back a while later. This should drastically speed up your farming time for birds.

Spawns for Egrets and Spoonbills:
D5arGYh.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Firstly, every satchel below needs a perfect deer hide. So you'll need 7 perfect deer hides. Beyond that:

• a perfect buck hide and a perfect elk hide for the Tonics Satchel
  • a perfect badger skin and a perfect squirrel carcass for the Ingredients Satchel
  • a second perfect elk skin and a perfect panther skin for the Kit Satchel
  • a perfect bison hide and a perfect raccoon skin for the Provisions Satchel
  • a perfect boar hide and a perfect iguana skin for the Materials Satchel
  • a perfect beaver skin and a perfect rabbit skin for the Valuables Satchel
  • a perfect cougar skin and a perfect wolf skin to craft the Legend of the East Satchel

Important to note: Pearson will bankroll all your skins. So let's say you're going after a perfect bison hide, but on the way you spot a perfect squirrel. You can kill both while you're out riding around and turn them both into Pearson at the same time. You'll keep the credit for anything you turn into him until you need to use it to craft a satchel (but remember: be sure to DONATE them to Pearson, don't sell them or anything).

It seems daunting on paper, but it's honestly not too bad imo. And the quality of life increase from all that inventory space is worth it.
demosthenes This is all good information to follow. Additionally, if you aren't adverse to using guides, I would use guides to do some of the collection quests (dino bones, rock carvings, places of interest, that sort of stuff; I wouldn't recommend it for treasure hunts, personally). As you're going around grabbing rocks and dino bones, you'll inevitably stumble on most of the animals that you need to donate to Pearson. And it gives you something else to do instead of just waiting around for certain rare species to spawn.

Incidentally, some of the animals have very specific spawning areas. There is an island directly west of Rhodes that is the only spawning point for iguana. Panthers are hard to find outside of the area south of Braithwaite Manor. Cougars can reliably spawn near the Trapper Northwest of Strawberry. Beaver are really easy to find at the giant beaver damn where you find the Legendary Beaver (follow the river south from Elysian Pool). Most of the others have pretty extensive ranges. And since all you need is the pelts for these, skin the animals in the wild so you don't risk the corpse decomposing on you.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished ...

Oh my God, what a ride. It is my favorite game of this generation hands down ..

The way the epilogue ends, it just connects perfectly with RDR 1.

It was cool seeing that every character had his story told up to the end ( even during credits ) and it was nice to see some closure.

My goodness, Rockstar is amazing man. I really miss the characters, I was laughing at times, tearing up at others,....

Thank you Rockstar, it has been a while since I had this much fun with videogames.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
The initial satchels don't really expand your storage by a very significant amount. It's best to get all of them so you can get the Legend of the East satchel, which greatly expands storage for all items.

Speaking of which, can anyone answer if the satchel upgrades still be obtained after the end of Chapter 6?
But i may need some of them since i need to stock some premiun cigarattes. In ma original playthrough i misser some premiun cigarattes since i was a bit late to upgrade the legendary version.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
There is this theory that i have about dutch. In the prologue, hosea says dutch shoots a woman in a ferry boat. What if dutch did something in the past that made him guilty? Maybe he did something to a girl or a woman? And the girl on the boat reminded him of her made him lose his mind? She made him see hallucinating

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Can you do stranger missions after the end of the main story? I've already done enough for 100% completion and want to wrap up the story but more and more keep popping up.
But i may need some of them since i need to stock some premiun cigarattes. In ma original playthrough i misser some premiun cigarattes since i was a bit late to upgrade the legendary version.
Are there missable cigarette cards? I though you could just buy the packs and eventually get all of them.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When you've collected 40/43 plants for the challenge but you can't remember what the last three you're missing were.

sm7ekrpyswo11.gif

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
When you've collected 40/43 plants for the challenge but you can't remember what the last three you're missing were.

sm7ekrpyswo11.gif

Honestly all the collectible/challenge stuff in this game is poorly designed, I don't even bother even though on paper I could have done it with the amount of time I've spent exploring. The fact you have to do challenges one at a time and at the exact order it says makes it 10 times more annoying than it needs to be.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Thank you. I can get the main story moving a little faster, then.
Honestly all the collectible/challenge stuff in this game is poorly designed, I don't even bother even though on paper I could have done it with the amount of time I've spent exploring. The fact you have to do challenges one at a time and at the exact order it says makes it 10 times more annoying than it needs to be.
Yeah it would be a lot better if they were all open at once. I've probably done stuff that would fulfill challenges that I haven't even unlocked yet, but am going to have to do them again.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the game and it looks washed out on my tcl p607. What should I set the hdr calibration to? I've played around with it but still doesn't look good. Not having trouble with other games on my x like this one.

Oct 29, 2017
I just want to say FUCK legendary fish. I just spent an hour and a half trying to get the Gar. Its. Not. Fucking. There. I cleaned out the entire lake of sturgeon (12!) and any other large fish... its not here. What a total waste of time.

Im using the special swamp lure and crawfish. It never spawns. Ive left the area (to go get more supplies of course) and come back....nothing.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just want to say FUCK legendary fish. I just spent an hour and a half trying to get the Gar. Its. Not. Fucking. There. I cleaned out the entire lake of sturgeon (12!) and any other large fish... its not here. What a total waste of time.

Im using the special swamp lure and crawfish. It never spawns. Ive left the area (to go get more supplies of course) and come back....nothing.

Are you sure you're in the right spot? Once I discovered the legendary fish location the first fish I hooked was always the legendary one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in Chapter 4 and having real trouble getting my Honor gauge back up after a couple of stupid accidents. Any advice?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Question regarding Epilogue.

I'm trying to find Tilly but she doesn't seem to be where she should be? I've done the bounty in saint Denis where you get the guy who knew tilly and in epilogue part 2. Is it just random or am I missing something?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished the game a few days ago. Can't be arsed going into too much. General thoughts.

+ Fantastic writing. Arthur Morgan is probably the best protagonist Rockstar has written, and avoids a lot of their predictable tropes. The theme of loyalty is handled well and how each character interprets as much.
+ Insanely gorgeous. Holy shit.
+ Soundtrack is out of this world good. Honestly thought most of the vocal tracks were licensed because they were that good. Surprised many are original.
+ Enjoyed the high immersion factor in animation detail. I get why people found it frustrating, but I like to immerse myself in single player experiences, so this hyper detail in avatar movement and acting out functions worked to my benefit.
+ Core gameplay systems were fine as they were. I liked riding, shooting, hunting, exploring, etc.

- Rockstar need to reevaluate their mission design. It's cinematic and exciting but RDR2 is painfully rigid in mission structure and total absence of autonomy. It's counter intuitive for a sandbox game to be like this, in my opinion, and they need to do better at finding a balance. Simple, great example I can give is one of Sadie's missions where we rode off to camp somewhere and attack a location at nightfall. After the camping cutscene the game had auto-equipped a bunch of guns that were not what I wanted (which it does all the time). My horse was 5 - 10 meters behind the camp spot. I walked over to change my gear, and got an immediate mission failure for not following Sadie. This is measurably awful game design.
- Alongside the above, lack of cohesion between sandbox-like activities and upgrade systems with main game.
- Inconsistencies in story pacing, particularly towards the end, where a few missions felt out of structure. I actually put this down to an oversight or bug, the mission triggering too early.
- Epilogue content was interesting but also seemed a bit thin and dragged on too long, even though I understand what Rockstar were going for.

Overall I really liked it. I think Rockstar cooked up a game that will rank as one of my favourite experiences from them, for the highs it provides, namely just immersing myself in this world they've created and following the journey of the cast. I almost always enjoyed "playing" it and always felt compelled to push forward. I'm glad Rockstar actually wrote an interesting protagonist for once, and I found myself thinking about the game's themes and the cast long after the credits rolled. It ranks alongside Manhunt and Bully as memorable Rockstar games for me.

That being said, their mission design while impressive as cinematic production is archaic and needs to be readdressed. I honestly think Rockstar do themselves a disservice, because there's almost no sense of overarching vision or coherency between the sandbox activities and depth of the game with the missions themselves. I don't need Just Cause or anything, but there's an enormous disconnect between all the stuff you can do outside of a mission and how they're used to tailor your character and playstyle, and the opportunity to implement this tailoring in missions. RDR2 almost actively makes all your out-of-mission fun utterly redundant by excessively scripting missions. And that sucks, because I think RDR2 would be a far better game if a balance was struck between the two.

That's it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Nearing to the end of Chapter 4, not sure I can be bothered going through 5 again. Hunting is a massive pain in the ass when you have a high bounty. You literally get attacked every 3-5 minutes, it's ridiculous. I spent a few hours hunting for a few cougar pelts and I killed at least 60 bounty hunters. I wouldn't mind so much if the combat was actually fun.

Oct 25, 2017
What are some things to do while going through the repetition of crafting ammo or cooking meat?

There's a lot of interesting in-game contextual conversations out in the world (ie what a stranger will talk about when you are in earshot) and some great bits of writing in the menu entries that I'd like to engage with while I'm doing the menial act of the 'tap to do this faster/again until I run out of ingredients'.

So I usually just end up going on my phone.

I have some spoilery comments/questions/complaints but I kinda want to go back to the previous OT and read people's thoughts of the set of missionss I'm on first. Does anybody who still follows this OT have any major or interesting insights up to and including Chapter 3 and 4? That you remember from that OT?

For example I got to Saint Denis waaaaay earlier than I should have in the early game, now I'm there all the time. Be interested to go back and see who else did this.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What are some things to do while going through the repetition of crafting ammo or cooking meat?

There's a lot of interesting in-game contextual conversations out in the world (ie what a stranger will talk about when you are in earshot) and some great bits of writing in the menu entries that I'd like to engage with while I'm doing the menial act of the 'tap to do this faster/again until I run out of ingredients'.

I have some spoilery comments/questions/complaints but I kinda want to go back to the previous OT and read people's thoughts of the set of missionss I'm on first. Does anybody who still follows this OT have any major or interesting insights up to and including Chapter 3 and 4? That you remember from that OT?

For example I got to Saint Denis waaaaay earlier than I should have in the early game, now I'm there all the time. Be interested to go back and see who else did this.

A lot of people did I imagine. It just depends if you encountered and helped a random NPC that leads you straight there. Think it can happen any time from chapter 2.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
This game is too damn long. I've been playing here and there for weeks now because I like to take my time and look around, and I'm not even 50% done o_O

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
is anyone looking into the Gavin thing? Surely there are those out there looking high and wide trying to see if Gavin is out there, right.

I'm just saying I might be a little interested in seeing what people have come up with in regards to Gavin.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the game a few days ago. Can't be arsed going into too much. General thoughts.

+ Fantastic writing. Arthur Morgan is probably the best protagonist Rockstar has written, and avoids a lot of their predictable tropes. The theme of loyalty is handled well and how each character interprets as much.
+ Insanely gorgeous. Holy shit.
+ Soundtrack is out of this world good. Honestly thought most of the vocal tracks were licensed because they were that good. Surprised many are original.
+ Enjoyed the high immersion factor in animation detail. I get why people found it frustrating, but I like to immerse myself in single player experiences, so this hyper detail in avatar movement and acting out functions worked to my benefit.
+ Core gameplay systems were fine as they were. I liked riding, shooting, hunting, exploring, etc.

- Rockstar need to reevaluate their mission design. It's cinematic and exciting but RDR2 is painfully rigid in mission structure and total absence of autonomy. It's counter intuitive for a sandbox game to be like this, in my opinion, and they need to do better at finding a balance. Simple, great example I can give is one of Sadie's missions where we rode off to camp somewhere and attack a location at nightfall. After the camping cutscene the game had auto-equipped a bunch of guns that were not what I wanted (which it does all the time). My horse was 5 - 10 meters behind the camp spot. I walked over to change my gear, and got an immediate mission failure for not following Sadie. This is measurably awful game design.
- Alongside the above, lack of cohesion between sandbox-like activities and upgrade systems with main game.
- Inconsistencies in story pacing, particularly towards the end, where a few missions felt out of structure. I actually put this down to an oversight or bug, the mission triggering too early.
- Epilogue content was interesting but also seemed a bit thin and dragged on too long, even though I understand what Rockstar were going for.

Overall I really liked it. I think Rockstar cooked up a game that will rank as one of my favourite experiences from them, for the highs it provides, namely just immersing myself in this world they've created and following the journey of the cast. I almost always enjoyed "playing" it and always felt compelled to push forward. I'm glad Rockstar actually wrote an interesting protagonist for once, and I found myself thinking about the game's themes and the cast long after the credits rolled. It ranks alongside Manhunt and Bully as memorable Rockstar games for me.

That being said, their mission design while impressive as cinematic production is archaic and needs to be readdressed. I honestly think Rockstar do themselves a disservice, because there's almost no sense of overarching vision or coherency between the sandbox activities and depth of the game with the missions themselves. I don't need Just Cause or anything, but there's an enormous disconnect between all the stuff you can do outside of a mission and how they're used to tailor your character and playstyle, and the opportunity to implement this tailoring in missions. RDR2 almost actively makes all your out-of-mission fun utterly redundant by excessively scripting missions. And that sucks, because I think RDR2 would be a far better game if a balance was struck between the two.

That's it.
I actually like the linear missions because of the contrast. Being out in the world requires a lot of focus – you have to map out your route, look out for stuff, think about a lot of things. And the story missions allow you to kick back and watch the next part of the story with some inoffensive shootbang. It almost feels like two distinct games and I like that for some reason.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
is anyone looking into the Gavin thing? Surely there are those out there looking high and wide trying to see if Gavin is out there, right.

I'm just saying I might be a little interested in seeing what people have come up with in regards to Gavin.

Oh yes. There is quite the Reddit community. I wouldn't say it's to the feverish dedication of the Mt. Chiliad mystery in GTAV but there's a pretty dedicated bunch trying to find him.

If you've gotten to the epilogue there's also a neat detail

You find Gavin's friend in Blackwater, years later, even more desperate, in the same clothes only they're ripped and dirty. He seems like he's about to lose it even more completely.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game. I think the epilogue ran on a bit long, and would rather have seen that time put into the main story Tory. It just made the game feel like it lost its identity a bit. And picking up all the stranger quests you were working on before was.....weird. Overall though I really enjoyed it.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

I'm on a second playthrough and I'm just about to Chapter 4, so I'll gladly give my thoughts on any questions or comments you have about those missions. As far as crafting ammo, I ended up making a deal with my wife. She sat there pressing X repeatedly to craft split point ammunition of every type while I made her a cocktail. Now I have full split type ammo, since I never even use the stuff since Express is more convenient. But if you have a spouse / significant other / friend / sibling you can bribe to do it for you, I'd go with that. I never bother to cook more than I'm going to eat in one sitting at any given camp; it never even occurred to me that I could.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
I just finished the main storyline.

I don't think there's any real doubt or debate (at least among reasonable people) that this game has its positives and its negatives. I won't list or repeat them all.

Unfortunately, in my case, the negatives far outweighed the positives, and they were what gave the overall dominant flavour to my experience with this game as a whole. For me the issues were immersion breaking and ruined suspension of disbelief.

I just wasn't able to look past the game's issues as easily as many seem to have been able to. In this day and age, I just expect better.

The original Red Dead was one of my favourite game of last gen. So to say the sequel was a disappointment for me is a huge understatement.

From the first couple of hours of gameplay I knew it was going to be a long and not particularly enjoyable slog. Forced myself to complete it even though I wasn't really enjoying it because well… I paid full price for it digitally and no refunds. I also wanted to give the game a fair chance and see if my mind would change. It didn't.

For me personally, it's 6/10 game at best if I'm being generous, with points for its beautiful visuals and audio, nice voice acting, and cast of characters, and with major deductions for poor gameplay, severely restricted mission design and overall game design as a whole.