• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT2| For A Few Hours More

Nov 13, 2018
So I finished the main part of the game and some of the epilogue. I'm done. I can't take anymore. I'm uninstalling rdr2 with a great sigh of relief. Definitely will not ever replay this game.

That totally is! It’s funny how such a heavily scripted game can be emergent with little details.

For example, my last interaction with Hosea before his death was just playing a few games of dominoes with him at Shady Belle. He and Arthur were discussing mortality and reminiscing simpler times. It seemed really fitting and is probably the single moment I will most remember about this game. I didn’t get spoiled about his death either so the whole thing was a kung-fu gut punch.
[\SPOILER]

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the game and played past chapter 1 and while I’m enjoying the story and characters so far, not even the many threads I’ve seen on the controls prepared me for how bad they actually are. yeesh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the game and played past chapter 1 and while I’m enjoying the story and characters so far, not even the many threads I’ve seen on the controls prepared me for how bad they actually are. yeesh.
The controls are a mess, but eventually you'll get used to them.

Mostly.

I still fuck them up every so often. I failed a mission two nights ago because I hit R2 to try and drive a stagecoach like I was playing another Rockstar game, and instead shot the horse in the back of the head and spooked the NPC buddy. Whoops.

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah they're pretty terrible and the aiming mechanics are even worse. The rest of the game is worth the struggle though.

God DAMN IT.

All my money is gone. All $10,694 of it. Fuck. I was gonna say "I guess you can't take it with you", but Arthur literally gave his bag to John.
Don't worry, it all comes back eventually. Although I think you can plan ahead and leave some unsold gold bars in the satchel and just sell them for a quick cash injection early on in the epilogue.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The controls are a mess, but eventually you'll get used to them.

Mostly.

I still fuck them up every so often. I failed a mission two nights ago because I hit R2 to try and drive a stagecoach like I was playing another Rockstar game, and instead shot the horse in the back of the head and spooked the NPC buddy. Whoops.
Sometimes even pressing the right buttons causes problems.

Run to my horse. Press triangle to quickly mount it. Instead tackle a bystander. Crime reported. Shootout insues.

Nov 2, 2017
This white Arabian horse doesn’t exist. Been searching for days at lake Isabella and nothing. My buddy said he found the horse right away.
If you can't find it come back a few days later so it resets the spawn rate. My first playthrough it was there straight away. On my second I wasted 2 hours looking for one and eventually gave up. Came back a few days later and it was there straight away again.

Oct 27, 2017
This epilogue is never going to end. And the worst part is how much time I'm having to spend with that annoying woman with the worst fake southern accent I've ever heard(even worse than maggie in the walking dead if that is even possible)

Oct 27, 2017
Herbalist challenge completed (did a good job guessing what the last three I was missing were), with bandit and gambler (domino challenge completed thank fucking god) almost completed. Almost over the biggest hurdle to 100% until alls I gotta do is run around and find shit for strangers.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it really strange how Rockstar uses different movement mechanics depending on whether you're in first person or third person. First person feels a lot better to play and if you're having issues with the "weightiness" I heavily recommend to switch to playing exclusively first person. Just turn off first person cover in camera options so it'll do a Deus Ex style switch to third person when in cover.

First person makes this game so much more fun to play and I think you will have a big advantage in the online mode against third person players as well because you can react to things happening faster.

Thanks for the heads-up about that. The control tweaks listed in the OP made a big difference for me.
THIS!!! Holy shit so big a difference.

The controls aren’t amazing but by about three hours in I was fine with them with those tweaks.

I’m really not trying to be a dick, but I never will understand all the reports of people accidentally tackling npcs when trying to mount a horse etc.

160 hours in the game and never did that. It’s like players are just sprinting everywhere even in crowds.

Oct 27, 2017
Whew....finally finished. That was definitely the most visually spectacular world I've ever seen, and there's a lot I've completely missed. It's just too bad the controls were incredibly aggravating. There was so much side stuff that I never even bothered with because of how tedious it was(like crafting and hunting). The core system was interesting, but got old having to constantly maintain. The epilogue seemed so out of place and just felt like it was trying to shoehorn in that character

Oct 29, 2017
THIS!!! Holy shit so big a difference.

The controls aren’t amazing but by about three hours in I was fine with them with those tweaks.

I’m really not trying to be a dick, but I never will understand all the reports of people accidentally tackling npcs when trying to mount a horse etc.

160 hours in the game and never did that. It’s like players are just sprinting everywhere even in crowds.
I think people are trying to play these games like an AC game or any other open world game where you can just sprint around and do whatever. So I guess I can understand not liking this game if you want a game like that but never understood the criticism of the game as if this game isn’t deliberately trying to be slow paced. It’s like going to a western movie and complaining that there’s not enough action.

Oct 29, 2017
I’ve been thinking about this game a lot recently. I put it down about a month ago after a near 2 month obsession with it, and I’m kind of bummed out that the game is so divisive. This game deserves to be celebrated but it feels like you can’t have a conversation about it without someone telling you how the game is very overrated etc. It doesn’t really matter because it doesn’t affect how I feel about the game and my understanding of what R* was trying to do but that’s just something I think about.

Oct 25, 2017
TIL you can move faster while aiming if you “sprint”, which is pressing LS for me. Not a huge thing but funny I didn’t notice it after 90 hours.

I’m having a hard time jumping into another game after this. I played Celeste as a palette cleanser but keep wanting to come back to Red Dead to just take in the world. It feels like I see something new or some different part of the world each time. It really is incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my legendary stachel, time to progress through the rest of chapter 2, :lol

Question:
I think saving _____ from jail in strawberry got me a $300 bounty. Game said this will happen from time to time. Should I pay this off ASAP?

I think people are trying to play these games like an AC game or any other open world game where you can just sprint around and do whatever. So I guess I can understand not liking this game if you want a game like that but never understood the criticism of the game as if this game isn’t deliberately trying to be slow paced. It’s like going to a western movie and complaining that there’s not enough action.
That must be it. I was always content to walk most places. Even back to camp after being left in Valentine after coming in by cart.

Especially in crowded places like St-Denis. It’s just not a game where you’re supposed to be sprinting around all the time. The default movement is walking for a reason.

I’ve been thinking about this game a lot recently. I put it down about a month ago after a near 2 month obsession with it, and I’m kind of bummed out that the game is so divisive. This game deserves to be celebrated but it feels like you can’t have a conversation about it without someone telling you how the game is very overrated etc. It doesn’t really matter because it doesn’t affect how I feel about the game and my understanding of what R* was trying to do but that’s just something I think about.
Absolutely agree with this. I understand complaints that the slow pacing makes for an unenjoyable experience - I personally disagree - but I totally get it. If that’s how you feel then I recommend AC: Odyssey or many other great alternatives. But don’t just dismiss the thing as “overrated.” It won a landslide of awards for a reason.

In general the arm-chair critic mentality surrounding certain developers bums me out. Like CDProjeckt or Naughty Dog or Sony games are darlings (and I love those devs too!) but almost automatically games by Rockstar, UbiSoft or various EA studios are dismissed around here. Stigmas exist for a reason but I prefer taking games on a case by case basis instead of automatically damning them based on previous work or publisher.

Nov 2, 2017
The issue with the game for me is how the controls and weight is executed rather than the actual motion of it being "slow". I think most people understand what type of game Rockstar were trying to create how, I just don't think they did a particularly great job mechanically.

Oct 29, 2017
The issue with the game for me is how the controls and weight is executed rather than the actual motion of it being "slow". I think most people understand what type of game Rockstar were trying to create how, I just don't think they did a particularly great job mechanically.
Yeah I think the controls could’ve been better but I do not think they are awful or hinder enjoyment. Maybe I have more patience than most idk.

Got my legendary stachel, time to progress through the rest of chapter 2, :lol

Question:
I think saving _____ from jail in strawberry got me a $300 bounty. Game said this will happen from time to time. Should I pay this off ASAP?
It really depends. Often times when the story gives you a mission that will result in a large bounty, it will also take you away from that area so that you're never really in a position where you have to constantly worry about bounty hunters interrupting you. But, if you're like me, and you want to be able to explore freely, then it's a lot nicer to not have to worry about a high bounty. If you don't have much money, you can donate all but $1 to the camp, go intentionally get yourself arrested in the territory where you have a bounty, surrender to the police and spend a night in jail. They'll take all your money (which is only $1) but it completely wipes your bounty.

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with you. This is the game of generation for me, no game comes close.

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends. Often times when the story gives you a mission that will result in a large bounty, it will also take you away from that area so that you're never really in a position where you have to constantly worry about bounty hunters interrupting you. But, if you're like me, and you want to be able to explore freely, then it's a lot nicer to not have to worry about a high bounty. If you don't have much money, you can donate all but $1 to the camp, go intentionally get yourself arrested in the territory where you have a bounty, surrender to the police and spend a night in jail. They'll take all your money (which is only $1) but it completely wipes your bounty.
Even if it's $300? What about the dead or alive?

Even if it's $300? What about the dead or alive?
It only matters for that specific region. So let's say (hypothetically) the game gives you a big bounty up in Ambarino. It's only in effect while you're in that region. You can still go to New Hanover, Lemoyne or West Elizabeth and bounty hunters won't come looking for you. And consequently, while there are several missions throughout the game that will result in an automatic bounty that you can't prevent, the game also will immediately move you away from that region as the story progresses. Basically, you can ignore the bounty unless you happen to want to go back to that area. And even then, even with an incredibly high bounty, you can do everything you otherwise would be able to. I had a $250 bounty and I walked into the sheriff's office to try to clear it... and he DID NOT CARE. Completely ignored me. Shops will still be open, no one will run from you in the street or anything. It's not like a wanted meter in GTA. You can mostly ignore it, keeping in mind that bounty hunters will come looking for you. I always paid mine off regardless because I don't like feeling restricted, but it's nowhere near as bad as you might expect.

Dead or alive is a different story. The game gives you a dead or alive bounty from the get go in Blackwater, which is meant more as a form of level-gating to keep you out of the west side of the map. If you try and go over there, you'll be constantly pursued, and eventually just killed by invisible snipers. There is no way, outside of specific story missions, to ever earn a "dead or alive" bounty on yourself. You could run through Saint Denis and kill every single NPC, and end up with a very high bounty indeed, and you still won't get to "Wanted: Dead or Alive." The game reserves that to use it as a tool to keep you out of certain areas at certain times.

On an unrelated note, I just played the first Marko Dragic mission. I missed these on my first playthrough. And it was great! I'm piloting an RC boat in a small pond blowing shit up... it's reminiscent of Supply Lines from GTA San Andreas, except it's actually fun. Definitely do every stranger mission you can, there's so much beyond the main plot.

Nov 11, 2017
On an unrelated note, I just played the first Marko Dragic mission. I missed these on my first playthrough. And it was great! I'm piloting an RC boat in a small pond blowing shit up... it's reminiscent of Supply Lines from GTA San Andreas, except it's actually fun. Definitely do every stranger mission you can, there's so much beyond the main plot.
Yes that mission was something else. Imaginative and funny.

Is it possible to store more than 4 horses?
You can have three stables plus whichever one you are riding.

You can also acquire a “temporary” horse if you bond with one and ride it back to camp. You can’t name or customize it but it’ll respond to your whistles and will appear on the map until you sell it or it dies.

Super useful for hunting trips. You can ride your primary and whistle to the temporary and it’ll follow you allowing you to carry more pelts and carcasses.

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game a couple weeks ago, but came back to it yesterday and now have some questions about the map.

So during the game, I had explored all around the right side of the map, but avoided the area near Blackwater since we were wanted and it seemed dangerous the one time I went there for a story mission. However, after beating the game I decided to go catch all the legendary animals and fish, and discovered that the area near Blackwater wasn't just a small area, but actually about 1/3 of the total map size from the looks of it, with a lot of very beautiful and varied terrain, unique animals, and towns. Why is it that no story missions or anything take place in this New Austin area? It seems like a shame to have such a large section of the map be essentially optional. Did I just miss out on something and was actually supposed to go here earlier?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game a couple weeks ago, but came back to it yesterday and now have some questions about the map.

So during the game, I had explored all around the right side of the map, but avoided the area near Blackwater since we were wanted and it seemed dangerous the one time I went there for a story mission. However, after beating the game I decided to go catch all the legendary animals and fish, and discovered that the area near Blackwater wasn't just a small area, but actually about 1/3 of the total map size from the looks of it, with a lot of very beautiful and varied terrain, unique animals, and towns. Why is it that no story missions or anything take place in this New Austin area? It seems like a shame to have such a large section of the map be essentially optional. Did I just miss out on something and was actually supposed to go here earlier?
You can't go there until the postgame. It's actually the RDR1 world map sans Mexico, and you can explore all of it after you finish the main story.

Nov 3, 2017
I hit credits yesterday. One of the things that I was continuously impressed with is the cinematography and framing. Not only is it often beautifully directed, wavering on shots for just the right amount of time to let the actors and actresses really shine through on their performance, but it almost feels like the game-world has been altered in really subtle ways, just so they can get that one shot in that one cutscene.

When Colm O'Driscoll has 30 seconds to come to terms with the fact that he really is going to die. What a wonderful piece of acting, and not a single line was spoken. Just thinking about it now, it offers a really nice juxtaposition to the position that Arthur is in. He knows for a very long time, and as such is able to effect change in his own life and the lives of those around him in his final days.

And also the part where you ride out to Cornwall Kerosene and Tar to come to Eagle Flies' aid, the ride out ends with a few shots of the posse riding to their destination. The last shot, still really far away, but rises up and changes focus so you're looking at the Oil Field through a window in the trees and the hills. It feels like that path was put there, just for that shot.