Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT2| For A Few Hours More

Oct 29, 2017
Agree with you. This is the game of generation for me, no game comes close.
Yeah
Agree with you. This is the game of generation for me, no game comes close.
yeah. I understand the criticism I just wish those who didn’t like it were able to get past the issues and experience what I did, but not everyone will have the same experiences I guess.

Jan 2, 2018
Hey all! I played at launch for a few hours but got busy and haven’t played since. But i plan to jump back in soon finally.

One thing that I was curious about was choice and consequence. At the start of the game your left alone in the barn with that guy and your allowed to do whatever, kill him, spare him.

In most games I play the good guy. But I was really worried that if I spared him, maybe he’d come back and hurt or kill someone in the group.

I was also worried that if I killed him maybe someone will join the group down the line and that guy was their best friend or something lol

Without spoilers please, Do choices matter much in this game? Is it better to play the good guy or the bad guy? Or is it all case by case?

Hey all! I played at launch for a few hours but got busy and haven’t played since. But i plan to jump back in soon finally.

One thing that I was curious about was choice and consequence. At the start of the game your left alone in the barn with that guy and your allowed to do whatever, kill him, spare him.

In most games I play the good guy. But I was really worried that if I spared him, maybe he’d come back and hurt or kill someone in the group.

I was also worried that if I killed him maybe someone will join the group down the line and that guy was their best friend or something lol

Without spoilers please, Do choices matter much in this game? Is it better to play the good guy or the bad guy? Or is it all case by case?
The game gently nudges you to be an honorable man. I would recommend this playstyle especially for first playthrough. That said, you are still an outlaw. Defending your friends and, essentially your "real" family, I would argue is honorable (re. the O'Driscoll in the barn) and Arthur is still a killer.

That's as spoiler free as I can get; basically some choices matter, but you should get a pretty strong idea which ones they are. Don't expect Witcher 3 levels of choice-based gameplay and recurring faces.

Hope that helped a bit. Enjoy the amazing game.

Are the 4 types of robberies needed for 100% Store/Homestead/Bank/Stagecoach? I've done all of those and it says 3/4 on social club. The only one I can think of that I haven't done outside of the story missions is
train, but I don't want to lose honor.

Jan 2, 2018
The game gently nudges you to be an honorable man. I would recommend this playstyle especially for first playthrough. That said, you are still an outlaw. Defending your friends and, essentially your "real" family, I would argue is honorable (re. the O'Driscoll in the barn) and Arthur is still a killer.

That's as spoiler free as I can get; basically some choices matter, but you should get a pretty strong idea which ones they are. Don't expect Witcher 3 levels of choice-based gameplay and recurring faces.

Hope that helped a bit. Enjoy the amazing game.
Ok perfect. Thanks for the advice! And thanks I really liked what I played at launch :). hoping a new patch hits sometime soon. It’s been over a month I believe since the last one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are the 4 types of robberies needed for 100% Store/Homestead/Bank/Stagecoach? I've done all of those and it says 3/4 on social club. The only one I can think of that I haven't done outside of the story missions is
train, but I don't want to lose honor.
The fourth one is train, sadly. It mentions it on the completion list in-game.

I'm still on chapter 6, and want to have max honor until the end of the main story. Does you honor matter in the epilogue? If not I could just do it then.
You could always do it post-epilogue as well. Your honor is not as important in the epilogue, and, frankly, it is absurdly easy to earn honor back; if you just hold L2+Square constantly to greet every person you meet, you'll basically always be maxed on honor. I don't know how big a hit a train robbery actually does to your honor, but it can't be that bad.

You could always do it post-epilogue as well. Your honor is not as important in the epilogue, and, frankly, it is absurdly easy to earn honor back; if you just hold L2+Square constantly to greet every person you meet, you'll basically always be maxed on honor. I don't know how big a hit a train robbery actually does to your honor, but it can't be that bad.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Just do it after finishing all of the story stuff and keep greeting people to bring it back up.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks

also in terms of stranger missions, if I trigger them can they dissapear? I always get the initial white cloudy "?" to trigger the mission but unless forces, I dont do it right then and there.

can I come back later?

Thanks

also in terms of stranger missions, if I trigger them can they dissapear? I always get the initial white cloudy "?" to trigger the mission but unless forces, I dont do it right then and there.

can I come back later?
They’ll be available for the duration of the current chapter at the very least.

Think of the general setup like this -

Chapters 1-3: early game. Explore, MOST stranger missions will carry over through chapter 3, enjoy the game world through these chapters.

Chapter 4: thing are about to get real. Wrap things up during this chapter.

Chapter 5: what the fuck just happened?

Chapter 6: end game, do everything optional you can, wrap up loose ends, bountiful opportunities for gaining or losing honor. This is it folks.

Beyond: try to enjoy. Things heat up quickly. Do not skip.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's sending out an email with a link to their site that gives you a bunch of stats about what you played in 2018.

Posting in here since if you played a shit ton of RDR 2 like I did you can finally see an hours counter lol. No way to see playtime in RDR as far as I know.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2018/wrap-up/

RDR 2 was my most played game last year at 144 hours. Not bad considering I've never even booted into the online mode.

Sony's sending out an email with a link to their site that gives you a bunch of stats about what you played in 2018.

Posting in here since if you played a shit ton of RDR 2 like I did you can finally see an hours counter lol. No way to see playtime in RDR as far as I know.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2018/wrap-up/

RDR 2 was my most played game last year at 144 hours. Not bad considering I've never even booted into the online mode.
Haha same. Online mode sounds awful after the masterpiece single player I just experienced.

I did the stranger missions for the Professor over the past few days. That shit gets really dark. Arthur taunting the captive about what lightning can do to a field of cattle is some horrifying shit. Like, damn, Arthur, ease up a bit would ya? I lightened the mood by doing the Chatenay missions around the same time and the scene in the gallery where Arthur is just laughing as chaos descends around him had me howling.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha same. Online mode sounds awful after the masterpiece single player I just experienced.
Yeah, it doesn’t sound great. Gave GTA Online a shot back in like 2014 but I couldn’t get into that either.

R* is my favourite developer, but their online just ain’t my thing.

Whatever, so long as they don’t ditch single-player. And RDR 2 is the best single-player Rockstar’s ever done imo, so I’m cool.

Yeah, it doesn’t sound great. Gave GTA Online a shot back in like 2014 but I couldn’t get into that either.

R* is my favourite developer, but their online just ain’t my thing.

Whatever, so long as they don’t ditch single-player. And RDR 2 is the best single-player Rockstar’s ever done imo, so I’m cool.
I agree. It was a tour-de-force of a game. But given how lucrative the online side of things has been for them I was amazed we even got a single player campaign. If you’re paid to make that company money, why wouldn’t you just switch to an online only product?

I hate that idea with passion but understand the business side of it.

Nov 2, 2017
I agree. It was a tour-de-force of a game. But given how lucrative the online side of things has been for them I was amazed we even got a single player campaign. If you’re paid to make that company money, why wouldn’t you just switch to an online only product?

They make a shit ton of money from the singleplayer as well, zero chance they would consider making an online only GTA/RDR game. In a way they already sacrifice the campaign by not really updating it with patches or releasing SP DLC. Their post game support for the SP has been dreadful compared to other games like TW3 and the last few AC games which have had countless QoL features and fixes added from player feedback. RDR 2 could be a lot better already with one decent QoL patch but I don't see it happening anymore.

I'm now 8/8 on health, stamina, and dead eye, but "Reach maximum Health, Stamina, and Dead Eye" is still not checked off in the total completion menu. Do the upgrades from challenges count for that, or did my game glitch?

Edit: Just googled it and apparently challenges count. All 3 need to be 10/10.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone think we will get single player DLC? Or are they only focused on the money-printing maching that is RDR2 Online?

I'd love to play something like the Episodes for GTAIV, set in the world of RDR2. Playing as Charles or Hosea (in his younger days) would be awesome. Or Sadie.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, you wonder if R* will move to an always-online experience with their games at some point.

Though one thing that could keep R* single-player alive is that when Leslie Benzies first brought his lawsuit forward against the Houser bros, his side said that the Housers were very much into the single-player and that Benzies was the main champion behind GTA Online. Obviously that's just their side of the story so who knows how true that is exactly, but with Dan Houser being one of the main writers behind all their single-player and Benzies listed as Director and Producer of GTA Online, I can see it.

So maybe with Benzies gone there's less of a pull to get rid of single-player? Hopefully.

Does anyone think we will get single player DLC? Or are they only focused on the money-printing maching that is RDR2 Online?

I'd love to play something like the Episodes for GTAIV, set in the world of RDR2. Playing as Charles or Hosea (in his younger days) would be awesome. Or Sadie.
I really, really want Sadie DLC. Won't spoil it here, but there's a chunk of time for her that would work perfectly imo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you wonder if R* will move to an always-online experience with their games at some point.

Though one thing that could keep R* single-player alive is that when Leslie Benzies first brought his lawsuit forward against the Houser bros, his side said that the Housers were very much into the single-player and that Benzies was the main champion behind GTA Online. Obviously that's just their side of the story so who knows how true that is exactly, but with Dan Houser being one of the main writers behind all their single-player and Benzies listed as Director and Producer of GTA Online, I can see it.

So maybe with Benzies gone there's less of a pull to get rid of single-player? Hopefully.

I really, really want Sadie DLC. Won't spoil it here, but there's a chunk of time for her that would work perfectly imo
The years before RDR2? Sadie milking cows, chopping wood and cooking? Jk

Oct 25, 2017
The years before RDR2? Sadie milking cows, chopping wood and cooking? Jk
I'd honestly play that lol

But really I'm thinking of basically when
she and Abigail leave Arthur and then following her in the years between the end of chapter 6 and when she meets up with John in the Epilogue. Show her bounty hunting days and all that.

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question that involves major spoilers for both games in the series:

Why is the mission with the Dutch and Colm meeting, where Arthur gets kidnapped by them, called "Blessed are the Peacemakers"? I know it's a quote, I think Biblical, but considering its what is engraved on John's grave, I thought they would've kept this for a bigger mission, or at least one involving John.

Why is the mission with the Dutch and Colm meeting, where Arthur gets kidnapped by them, called "Blessed are the Peacemakers"? I know it's a quote, I think Biblical, but considering its what is engraved on John's grave, I thought they would've kept this for a bigger mission, or at least one involving John.
That’s actually a hell of a good and astute question and one I’d like an answer to as well. Any takers?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's sarcastically referencing the fact that neither one of them actually wants peace and the parley is a complete sham. I'm not sure if there's any relevance to John beyond the implication that the cycle of revenge never stops and will eventually claim everyone, which is what eventually happens to John as well.

I finished the main story and am currently in the middle of Epilogue 2. Going to try to finish it tonight.
I chose to go with John at the end and Arthur died on the mountain after a fistfight with Micah. I was already expecting that Arthur would die, since this is a prequel, especially once he got the TB diagnosis. There were also hints about John being playable at some point, like only being able to customize his and Arthur's lodging, so I kind of expected that. It makes sense to play as him since the epilogue seems to really be leading into the beginning of RDR1. I really hope I get to kill Micah with John, and I want Sadie and Charles to survive, but I'm expecting at least one but probably both of them to die.

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the main story and am currently in the middle of Epilogue 2. Going to try to finish it tonight.
I chose to go with John at the end and Arthur died on the mountain after a fistfight with Micah. I was already expecting that Arthur would die, since this is a prequel, especially once he got the TB diagnosis. There were also hints about John being playable at some point, like only being able to customize his and Arthur's lodging, so I kind of expected that. It makes sense to play as him since the epilogue seems to really be leading into the beginning of RDR1. I really hope I get to kill Micah with John, and I want Sadie and Charles to survive, but I'm expecting at least one but probably both of them to die.
Hold onto your butt.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Have fun. Let us know what you think of the final missions.

Hold onto your butt.
Have fun. Let us know what you think of the final missions.
Ok I had time to do a few more missions. I'm now at the part where
John is reunited with Abigail and Jack at the ranch, and I also did the mission where you go fishing with Jack and Rufus gets bitten by a snake. I'm pretty sure I only have a few missions left, so I'm expecting some major shit to go down soon (like, imminently).
I'll finish the rest tonight.

Oct 25, 2017
Credits are rolling for me right now. What a fucking incredible gaming experience. Probably won’t ever forget it.

Grew really attached to the whole damn cast.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a few general questions after beating the game.

-What happens to uncle in RDR1? I don’t remember much.
-I honestly can’t remember why John has to go after Dutch’s gang, nor do I remember Dutch much in it. Any one have a good answer?
-How much of the RDR1 territory is available to explore in this game? I got chills when I did that mission with Sadie and saw New Austin and that church.
Yeah. Absolutely sucks that we most likely won't get any SP DLC for any of gang members.
Not even Sadie or Charles? Damn.

Oct 26, 2017
I have a few general questions after beating the game.

-What happens to uncle in RDR1? I don’t remember much.
-I honestly can’t remember why John has to go after Dutch’s gang, nor do I remember Dutch much in it. Any one have a good answer?
-How much of the RDR1 territory is available to explore in this game? I got chills when I did that mission with Sadie and saw New Austin and that church.

Not even Sadie or Charles? Damn.
Uncle dies during the last mission, when the FBI storm the ranch at Beecher's Hope. Him and John see them coming from over the hill, they get Jack and Abigail to go the house. After a firefight, they get back to the house, Jack comes out to help, and Uncle gets shot on the front porch.

Edgar Ross takes Abigail and Jack, and uses that as leverage to get John to hunt and kill the last remaining members of his gang, so Bill, Javier and Dutch.

Dutch shows up towards the end, after Mexico/when you get back to Blackwater. He's only in a few missions, and he's unhinged. He takes and kills a hostage in Blackwater, and he is up in a camp north of Tall Trees, where he has a gang of Indians helping him. John goes after him, and chases him to a cliff, where Dutch talks about how the West is changing, before he walks off the edge. At the bottom, Ross uses John's gun to shoot him, saying it'll look better on the records the way, and tells him his family is back at the ranch.

Location wise, the entirety of America from RDR is in RDR2, it's just Mexico that isn't available. There are some differences though, like I don't think the camp Dutch has in Tall Trees is there for example, and Armadillo is different for example.

Uncle dies during the last mission, when the FBI storm the ranch at Beecher's Hope. Him and John see them coming from over the hill, they get Jack and Abigail to go the house. After a firefight, they get back to the house, Jack comes out to help, and Uncle gets shot on the front porch.

Edgar Ross takes Abigail and Jack, and uses that as leverage to get John to hunt and kill the last remaining members of his gang, so Bill, Javier and Dutch.

Dutch shows up towards the end, after Mexico/when you get back to Blackwater. He's only in a few missions, and he's unhinged. He takes and kills a hostage in Blackwater, and he is up in a camp north of Tall Trees, where he has a gang of Indians helping him. John goes after him, and chases him to a cliff, where Dutch talks about how the West is changing, before he walks off the edge. At the bottom, Ross uses John's gun to shoot him, saying it'll look better on the records the way, and tells him his family is back at the ranch.

Location wise, the entirety of America from RDR is in RDR2, it's just Mexico that isn't available. There are some differences though, like I don't think the camp Dutch has in Tall Trees is there for example, and Armadillo is different for example.
Just a minor expansion on some locations:
Quite a few of the towns from RDR 1 that are available to visit in RDR 2 have significant changes. Armadillo is basically the equivalent of Valentine in RDR 1, but a veritable ghost town in RDR 2 thanks to the plague. Tumbleweed is a complete ghost town in RDR 1, but a fully functioning town in RDR 2. Rathskeller Fork was a save spot in RDR 1; it is private property in RDR 2. Thieve's Landing was a full-fledged town in RDR 1, but it's basically just a gang fortress in RDR 2. Blackwater and MacFarlane Ranch don't have all the buildings from RDR 1, suggesting that some of them are still being built or are yet to begin construction. Cochinay doesn't exist in RDR 2. I wanted to say that Manzanita Post was different, but apparently they're actually basically the same with the exception of there's no purchasable property there in RDR 2 (in RDR 1, you could get a cabin near the general store). I haven't actually been over to Plainview, so I don't know if that camp exists in RDR 2 or not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just a minor expansion on some locations:
Quite a few of the towns from RDR 1 that are available to visit in RDR 2 have significant changes. Armadillo is basically the equivalent of Valentine in RDR 1, but a veritable ghost town in RDR 2 thanks to the plague. Tumbleweed is a complete ghost town in RDR 1, but a fully functioning town in RDR 2. Rathskeller Fork was a save spot in RDR 1; it is private property in RDR 2. Thieve's Landing was a full-fledged town in RDR 1, but it's basically just a gang fortress in RDR 2. Blackwater and MacFarlane Ranch don't have all the buildings from RDR 1, suggesting that some of them are still being built or are yet to begin construction. Cochinay doesn't exist in RDR 2. I wanted to say that Manzanita Post was different, but apparently they're actually basically the same with the exception of there's no purchasable property there in RDR 2 (in RDR 1, you could get a cabin near the general store). I haven't actually been over to Plainview, so I don't know if that camp exists in RDR 2 or not.
The fun part about Blackwater is that a lot of the missing buildings are actually under construction in 2.

I finished Epilogue 2 last night.
I thought the ending was great. It connected perfectly to RDR1. I thought it was cool that it showed where the characters who left the gang near the end of chapter 6 ended up during the credits. Also went 3/3 on what I said I wanted in the other post. Sadie and Charles both (presumably) survived and John got to kill Micah (with Dutch's help). I also like how you just get $20K at the end so you don't have to worry about money anymore. I just bought the last 2 satchels I needed (Kit and LotE), much less time consuming than going hunting. I still have a shitload of stuff to do with all of the challenges/collectibles. I'm going to try to go for 100%, I think right now I'm a little over 85% done.

I finished Epilogue 2 last night.
I thought the ending was great. It connected perfectly to RDR1. I thought it was cool that it showed where the characters who left the gang near the end of chapter 6 ended up during the credits. Also went 3/3 on what I said I wanted in the other post. Sadie and Charles both (presumably) survived and John got to kill Micah (with Dutch's help). I also like how you just get $20K at the end so you don't have to worry about money anymore. I just bought the last 2 satchels I needed (Kit and LotE), much less time consuming than going hunting. I still have a shitload of stuff to do with all of the challenges/collectibles. I'm going to try to go for 100%, I think right now I'm a little over 85% done.
The best thing about the credits is you can

Go to those locations if you haven’t already and have a conversation with the people depicted. Nice touch.

Wait really?? All of them?

Damn, loading up my postgame save tonight then.
I haven’t done all of them but
I walked into Rhodes on the way back to Beecher’s Hope and was like “Oh, this is where Pearson was supposed to have opened his grocery store. But they wouldnt have included that level of detail, would they?” They did haha and all the other ones I’ve tried have worked too.

I guess Karen drank herself to death though. Or she was a rat. No word about her sadly.

Strauss gets wrapped up with a conversation with Charles in St-Denis at least.