Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT2| For A Few Hours More

Oct 25, 2017
I haven’t done all of them but
I walked into Rhodes on the way back to Beecher’s Hope and was like “Oh, this is where Pearson was supposed to have opened his grocery store. But they wouldnt have included that level of detail, would they?” They did haha and all the other ones I’ve tried have worked too.

I guess Karen drank herself to death though. Or she was a rat. No word about her sadly.

Strauss gets wrapped up with a conversation with Charles in St-Denis at least.
Wow. That's neat. Haven't seen those.

I did find some of them on my own. Mary-Beth, Rains Fall, the angry dude in Rhodes, the fake veteran in Valentine, Tilly in Saint Denis. Do you know if you can find Mary Linton anywhere?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I haven’t done all of them but
I walked into Rhodes on the way back to Beecher’s Hope and was like “Oh, this is where Pearson was supposed to have opened his grocery store. But they wouldnt have included that level of detail, would they?” They did haha and all the other ones I’ve tried have worked too.

I guess Karen drank herself to death though. Or she was a rat. No word about her sadly.

Strauss gets wrapped up with a conversation with Charles in St-Denis at least.
Either Mary Beth or Tilly (I forget which) confirms Karen died a drunk, I believe.

Wow. That's neat. Haven't seen those.

I did find some of them on my own. Mary-Beth, Rains Fall, the angry dude in Rhodes, the fake veteran in Valentine, Tilly in Saint Denis. Do you know if you can find Mary Linton anywhere?
As far as I know the last we see of
Mary Linton is when she’s researching TB and then when she’s finally visiting Arthur’s grave. I would’ve loved another scene with her though. For such a simple and not very original love story it came off as very genuine to me.

It looks like it shows your play time on Social Club now. For me it says 3 days 6 hours 7 minutes, so that PlayStation email was definitely including idle time.
Does it include all playtime or just on that specific playthrough? My total time is given as 2 days, 23 hours, 17 minutes, but it also has me at 54.9% completion, which suggests that it's only considering my most recent save. I also have a playthrough at 81.9% completion with the story finished. I would venture a guess that I'm at least double what's reported.

Whoa, the Social Club for this is much cooler than I expected. You can buy stuff through Social Club and have it delivered to you ingame automatically? Looks like I'll be trying on some new outfits.

Does it include all playtime or just on that specific playthrough? My total time is given as 2 days, 23 hours, 17 minutes, but it also has me at 54.9% completion, which suggests that it's only considering my most recent save. I also have a playthrough at 81.9% completion with the story finished. I would venture a guess that I'm at least double what's reported.
I've only been doing one playthrough the entire time, so I can't say for sure, but from what you're saying it sounds like it only counts the most recent playthrough.

Regarding one of the characters you can talk to after the credits, putting in a separate spoiler tag
I just talked to Rains Fall in Annesburg and my honor level went up a fuckton

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Chapter 6.

I have to say that I think Arthur Morgan as a character may be the video game equivalent of Tony Soprano or Don Draper. What I mean by that is that the Sopranos and Mad Men, for all their ensemble cast, were largely deep character studies of those 2 characters, respectively (and they are sister series, as Mad Men was created by a Sopranos guy). I mean they put you deep inside their moral dilemmas in those series, even into their dreams.

I'm not sure that I've ever played a game where the protagonist had such a deep character study, and in a way that TV can't do, a lot of that played out through you the player. This is a different way of deep diving a character too from most RPG where you watch the story develop, I think you feel it more as you not only watch but feel like you are Arthur. You feel Arthur's dilemmas and attachments to characters, and they even make you fee respect/likability for Dutch and then feel that slowly erode.

For these reasons I'm saddened a bit that so many gave up on the game because of the intentional slow pacing (necessary IMO to put you in Morgan's shoes, and make you feel the slow erosion of his world) or the somewhat clunky fighting mechanics ( true for hand to hand but over-stated IMO for gunplay which was rewarding for me, though I changed the presets). They really missed some special story telling and character development that is unlike most anything I've felt in gaming.

Finished chapter 6, latter half of the game is so much better than the first half

Dunno if I'm going to play the epilogue
Definitely play the epilogue. It’s very nicely done.

It bugs me for some reason that a lot of people write it off. Maybe it’s the way it’s written? If it was Chapter 7 then maybe more people would stick with it? Or maybe people are just burned out on a long game. Not sure.

It bugs me for some reason that a lot of people write it off. Maybe it’s the way it’s written? If it was Chapter 7 then maybe more people would stick with it? Or maybe people are just burned out on a long game. Not sure.
I think there are a couple explanations.
First, the game gets very heavy and emotionally draining by Chapter 6. Once that finishes up, it definitely feels like you need to take a break before continuing. Second, the epilogue in the first game was literally just one mission, and then you're controlling a new character who is not as interesting as John Marston. So people might be expecting a rehash of that, as opposed to something that's really fleshed out and deep.
Of course, there's also:
Both games also kill off the protagonist you've spent the journey coming to love, so that puts people off wanting to continue. Jack Marston was a whiny shit in RDR 1; I didn't want to hear him going "work ya damn nag" while I'm wrapping up the last collectibles. Similarly, John Marston is whinier and more annoying after playing as Arthur for so long. If I fall in love with a character and you rob me of the opportunity to keep playing as him in the endgame, I'm going to be less inclined to continue.

People should still play the epilogue though. It's good.

I think there are a couple explanations.
First, the game gets very heavy and emotionally draining by Chapter 6. Once that finishes up, it definitely feels like you need to take a break before continuing. Second, the epilogue in the first game was literally just one mission, and then you're controlling a new character who is not as interesting as John Marston. So people might be expecting a rehash of that, as opposed to something that's really fleshed out and deep.
Of course, there's also:
Both games also kill off the protagonist you've spent the journey coming to love, so that puts people off wanting to continue. Jack Marston was a whiny shit in RDR 1; I didn't want to hear him going "work ya damn nag" while I'm wrapping up the last collectibles. Similarly, John Marston is whinier and more annoying after playing as Arthur for so long. If I fall in love with a character and you rob me of the opportunity to keep playing as him in the endgame, I'm going to be less inclined to continue.

People should still play the epilogue though. It's good.
Agreed on both points.

I basically hit the gas and gunned through the story from the end of chapter 5 on.

Second playthrough I’ll be putting most of my hours into chapters 2-4 wrapping up what I can. But then I’m one of the weird people who wants a second playthrough.

It feels wrong to
Keep playing after the epilogue ends and you have John relatively happy at Beecher’s Hope.

Agreed on both points.

I basically hit the gas and gunned through the story from the end of chapter 5 on.

Second playthrough I’ll be putting most of my hours into chapters 2-4 wrapping up what I can. But then I’m one of the weird people who wants a second playthrough.

It feels wrong to
Keep playing after the epilogue ends and you have John relatively happy at Beecher’s Hope.
I completely agree. From a narrative standpoint, I feel actively discouraged from continuing to explore or do side content as John. He has his wife, his son, his land and his dream. It makes absolutely no sense that he would leave that behind to go chase down a gunslinger several states over that Arthur forgot to visit years ago. It also makes no sense, given the context of RDR 1, that he would explore all over New Austin prior to the events of that game just so he could find some dinosaur bones for some lady that Arthur briefly talked to 8 years earlier. It's pretty much the textbook definition of ludonarrative dissonance; the story assures us this man has found his happiness and sense of peace and the only thing we can do while controlling him is to shatter that.

I completely agree. From a narrative standpoint, I feel actively discouraged from continuing to explore or do side content as John. He has his wife, his son, his land and his dream. It makes absolutely no sense that he would leave that behind to go chase down a gunslinger several states over that Arthur forgot to visit years ago. It also makes no sense, given the context of RDR 1, that he would explore all over New Austin prior to the events of that game just so he could find some dinosaur bones for some lady that Arthur briefly talked to 8 years earlier. It's pretty much the textbook definition of ludonarrative dissonance; the story assures us this man has found his happiness and sense of peace and the only thing we can do while controlling him is to shatter that.
Exactly this. I mean, I understand player convenience but when Rockstar went to such great lengths to write and create this story ... would it be so bad if the game just ended? No ability to free roam?

Would the internet set fire though?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this up again, chapter 3.

I remember reading before that it is recommended to keep your gold bars & ingots until you specifically need the money to spend, am I remembering right? Something like bounties dependent on your liquid wealth,and you can only be robbed for your liquid wealth too meaning gold bars and ingots are basically just safe money.

Oct 25, 2017

Burnt out, I didn't even bother with a bunch of the side stuff =/

Oct 25, 2017
This might sound a little sick, but what type of weapons or/and ammunition do I need to blow limbs off?. I’ve seen many videos on YT and thought, looks fun!.

Oct 27, 2017

Currently playing through epilogue 1 and its moving along nicely. I thought I was getting a little open-world fatigue at the end of the game and after how long Chapter 6 was, I was a bit worried about doing two epilogues. So far though the pacing is better than the main story though and its refreshed the game for me.

And that first song was really special. Up there with some of the other music sequences.

Oct 25, 2017
So I went to the snowy section of the map, had my winter gunslinger outfit on, however I noticed the heart health icon flashing and dropping still. Once I made it there and settled it stopped flashing.

Something completely unrelated :).

Such a great looking game. You could easily spend hours roaming around.

Nov 2, 2017
People complain about the main missions but this game is at its peak with literally zero HUD where you're just aimlessly roaming around hunting, finding collectibles and organically coming across stranger missions.

Oct 26, 2017
(Just started the game)

So I lasso'd a wild horse that is significantly better than mine, and tried to lead it to the stables since the game doesn't make clear how tot transfer/acquire new horses. I got into a fight, died, and now that horse is gone. Gone forever, and it was way better than my current steed. :|

Wtf was I supposed to do, just transfer my saddlebags to the newly-tamed horse?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
(Just started the game)

So I lasso'd a wild horse that is significantly better than mine, and tried to lead it to the stables since the game doesn't make clear how tot transfer/acquire new horses. I got into a fight, died, and now that horse is gone. Gone forever, and it was way better than my current steed. :|

Wtf was I supposed to do, just transfer my saddlebags to the newly-tamed horse?
Take your saddle off of your main horse and put it on the tamed horse.

Oct 28, 2017
A few questions for y’all as I start my first play through:

-Horse item storage. If I store items on my horse then can I sell them from the shopkeeper sell menu?

-Any advantages to selling whole carcasses instead of just skimming them for the meat and pelt?

-Deadeye seemingly paints targets automatically. Is this normal?

-Is there any disadvantage to exploring major parts of the world early?

-Any disadvantages to not sleeping at night?

Oct 27, 2017
A few questions for y’all as I start my first play through:

-Horse item storage. If I store items on my horse then can I sell them from the shopkeeper sell menu?

-Any advantages to selling whole carcasses instead of just skimming them for the meat and pelt?

-Deadeye seemingly paints targets automatically. Is this normal?

-Is there any disadvantage to exploring major parts of the world early?

-Any disadvantages to not sleeping at night?
-Can't remember, but I think so

-I don't pelt that much, so not really sure about that one

-Yeah that's normal. It evolves later on.

-Some story inconsistencies, yeah. E.g. Arthur will act like he's never been to importance places even if you already explored them. Another noticeable one was that one stranger/side character is both an optional sidequest AND a part of the main story. So if you find and finish that Stranger branch first, Arthur will act like he hasn't seen this person in a long time when he runs into them in the story (which wouldn't make sense given how that specific story line wraps up).

-If you mean just sleeping at all, well then I think it affects your health and stamina, but not to the point where it was noticeable on my end.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019
Well I FINALLY started playing this.

One of my disappointments of red dead 2 is that a lot of the buildings are locked and u can’t go inside . But I guess that was the same with gta 4 and 5

However I did find a big mansion in saint Dennis and got inside by smashing a window which was a cool exception

Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Random encounter in Saint Denis

Why doesn't the eugenics guy's head explode from a shotgun? I've tried more than once and it doesn't work.

Edit: On a more serious note, some of the challenges are a real pain. It would have been so much easier if they were all doable at once instead of having to complete one to unlock the next.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm in Chapter 4 now, and I think I've made the jump from really liking the game to loving it. I'm enjoying the story quite a bit and really like the moments developing all the side characters in the gang, but I think like a lot of prior Rockstar games, the main attraction to me is the open world. Just something about riding around the world and taking in the atmosphere (30 hours in and still amazes how gorgeous it looks) feels very satisfying. Just a bit ago I was in the Northern part of NH and it started raining like crazy, so I made my way to Van Horn to find some lodging for the night. It's admittedly not one of the most exciting moments of the game (and perhaps rather a bit mundane), but I suppose I just appreciated how the game convinced me I was getting 'drenched' in the rain and it felt a bit cozy to finally find a place to hole up for the night (as dingy as it may be) before making my way back to Saint Denis.
Anyways, not really a big moment or anything, but just one of those little things that helps to make me feel immersed in an open world.

Oct 30, 2017
I finished the story, I'm left a little bit disappointed. Is there any point to play further?

I have finished the story and can play now with John. Can I do some sidequests or are they locked to Arthur?
Is there also a prologue?

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the story, I'm left a little bit disappointed. Is there any point to play further?

I have finished the story and can play now with John. Can I do some sidequests or are they locked to Arthur?
Is there also a prologue?
You can get that done in a weekend if you just focus on the missions.

you can still do most sidequests, although some are locked behind certain chapters.
It's more of a prologue to RDR1/homage to the end game of that. If you want to wrap up the story but don't want to play it, I'd recommend watching a video of the very last mission. Most of the epilogue is solely about John starting a new life, but the very final mission wraps up everything nicely.

Oct 30, 2017
You can get that done in a weekend if you just focus on the missions.

you can still do most sidequests, although some are locked behind certain chapters.
It's more of a prologue to RDR1/homage to the end game of that. If you want to wrap up the story but don't want to play it, I'd recommend watching a video of the very last mission. Most of the epilogue is solely about John starting a new life, but the very final mission wraps up everything nicely.
Ive finished all the story
of John and killed Micah
I was wondering if Im missing out after that.

May 2, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I finished this game during Christmas break, and I've had problems finding a new game to get into. They've been fun but MAN this game really was something else. Should I dive back in for a second playthrough? My only hesitation is that it really is a lot of hours..

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to have beaten the game, but I'm debating on stopping and starting over. Mainly because I had to rush to get to Chapter 4 while studying for a big certification, but now I passed it, so I have my time back. Think I might start over fresh and really take my time to get lost in the world with the side activities.

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone seems to have beaten the game, but I'm debating on stopping and starting over. Mainly because I had to rush to get to Chapter 4 while studying for a big certification, but now I passed it, so I have my time back. Think I might start over fresh and really take my time to get lost in the world with the side activities.
How far are you into chapter 4? That is one of the best chapters to just ignore the main story and do side stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished to the credits last night. I've been playing since close to launch, lol. Not sure how many hours I've put in, but probably comparable to what I did with BOTW (~140), maybe less but I'm sure I'm over 100 hrs.

I really enjoyed it, and am blown away by the story and the music. The idea of a 2nd run through is too much for me, because I take too long. For the poster that is in Chapter 4 and asked should I start over, that's a really tough call because I'd be worried about getting open-world fatigue and burning out on the game before you finish the story, and the story is really worth it, including the epilogue. I felt like the game did refresh for me in the 2 epilogues, but I focused on just doing the missions - whereas in the main story I would just do a few missions a day and spend most of my time in the open world. The missions are more tightly packed in the epilogue so that's easier to do without being distracted or having to travel far between them for the most part.

I think all together the RD series is about my favorite storyline in video games. If anything this game makes me want to play RDR again to pick up the story, but I wonder if the gameplay would hold up very well. Would love to see R* put RDR on the Switch, then I might do it.