• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Played a few hours yesterday and got to the train part. I'm afraid to say i'm not having much fun... Will try to power through this weekend to get to the next chapter.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Played a few hours yesterday and got to the train part. I'm afraid to say i'm not having much fun... Will try to power through this weekend to get to the next chapter.
The first chapter is deliberately slow and limiting.
The game opens up in the second chapter, and becomes more of a traditional Rockstar game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
The first chapter is deliberately slow and limiting.
The game opens up in the second chapter, and becomes more of a traditional Rockstar game.

Yeah, first chapter is more of a tutorial and story/character background intro. I enjoyed it personally, but the world opens up a lot more and the regular game flow begins as you progress in Chapter 2 - that's when you really start experiencing the open world to its fullest.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing since launch and finally finished it last night. I gotta say that I enjoyed every second, but I understand all the complaints with the gameplay, pacing and length.

I wasn't ready for how big the Epilogue was, by the end of chapter 6 I just wanted to finish the story already, but the epilogue was a nice surprise and really enjoyed the more light-hearted tone of the farming missions. Even though I like John and the epilogue was a nice little prelude to RDR1, I was still clinging to the idea of somehow taking the role of Sadie after Arthur's inevitably death, but oh well, at least she made it out alive at the end along with Charles, who were my favorite characters.

Anyway, I still got a lot of content left, but I'm already thinking of starting a new game.

Also I got a question regarding de map after chapter 6
There was no way to explore West Elizabeth with Arthur, rght?, so how I was supposed to upgrade my satchel if some materials are available only there? including some legendary animals

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Also I got a question regarding de map after chapter 6
There was no way to explore West Elizabeth with Arthur, rght?, so how I was supposed to upgrade my satchel if some materials are available only there? including some legendary animals
All materials required for satchel upgrades are available in the area you can explore as Arthur. If you're thinking about panthers, they're found in the south of Lemoyne, both in the swamp north of Saint Denis and in the area south of Braithwaite Manor. You cannot get all the trinkets as Arthur, but that's different than satchel upgrades (satchels are crafted by Pearson and never require legendary animal skins, trinkets are crafted at a fence and always require legendary animal skins/parts).

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
All materials required for satchel upgrades are available in the area you can explore as Arthur. If you're thinking about panthers, they're found in the south of Lemoyne, both in the swamp north of Saint Denis and in the area south of Braithwaite Manor. You cannot get all the trinkets as Arthur, but that's different than satchel upgrades (satchels are crafted by Pearson and never require legendary animal skins, trinkets are crafted at a fence and always require legendary animal skins/parts).
Hey thanks, I never came across any panther, beaver or iguana, so I assumed they were in that area. Also, I swear after Charles' mission in chapter 1, there were no Bisons spawning around that area up until the final chapter, so I couldn't get that upgrade until then.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Hey thanks, I never came across any panther, beaver or iguana, so I assumed they were in that area. Also, I swear after Charles' mission in chapter 1, there were no Bisons spawning around that area up until the final chapter, so I couldn't get that upgrade until then.

Beavers are pretty close to the last camp and that hillbilly shanty town I don't remember the name of. Just ride up and down the river that runs along that road (the road that Arthur takes on his last ride) and you should come across beaver sign - knawed trees and branches and you can get the legendary and a perfect beaver pelt pretty easy.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The legendary beaver is south of Elysian Pool at a big beaver dam; you can always find other beaver around there, even after you've gotten the legendary. There are also frequently beaver on the west side of Lake Owanjila, west of Strawberry. Panthers are hard to find, but the land that's south and slightly east of Braithwaite Manor is your best bet. Iguanas are only found on the islands in Flat Iron Lake that are near the camp from Chapter 3, west of Rhodes. You can take a boat or have your horse swim out there. Bison move as a big herd through the plains of New Hanover, generally in the area between Citadel Rock and Emerald Ranch, and as far north as Cumberland Forest; sometimes it can take a while to find the herd, but usually when you find one, you find them all.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Beavers are pretty close to the last camp and that hillbilly shanty town I don't remember the name of. Just ride up and down the river that runs along that road (the road that Arthur takes on his last ride) and you should come across beaver sign - knawed trees and branches and you can get the legendary and a perfect beaver pelt pretty easy.
The legendary beaver is south of Elysian Pool at a big beaver dam; you can always find other beaver around there, even after you've gotten the legendary. There are also frequently beaver on the west side of Lake Owanjila, west of Strawberry. Panthers are hard to find, but the land that's south and slightly east of Braithwaite Manor is your best bet. Iguanas are only found on the islands in Flat Iron Lake that are near the camp from Chapter 3, west of Rhodes. You can take a boat or have your horse swim out there. Bison move as a big herd through the plains of New Hanover, generally in the area between Citadel Rock and Emerald Ranch, and as far north as Cumberland Forest; sometimes it can take a while to find the herd, but usually when you find one, you find them all.
thanks dudes, I'll try those places tonight.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
btw can you visit
Arthur's grave? It shows it in the ending so I figure it has to be somewhere in the game world. Is there any content there?

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Puh, just finished chapter 1. What. A. Bore. But the intro to chapter 2 makes it seem more interesting. But i'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by all the systems they are mentioning. Something about core, and temperature and such, have no clue what it's about.

But god damnit do i love the voice actor of Arthur! And the game is beautiful!

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Puh, just finished chapter 1. What. A. Bore. But the intro to chapter 2 makes it seem more interesting. But i'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by all the systems they are mentioning. Something about core, and temperature and such, have no clue what it's about.

Don't worry about temperature; it generally doesn't matter. Bottom line, some places in the world (up in the mountains where you start) are really cold, so you need to have an appropriate outfit on. Other places are really hot, so you don't want to wear snow clothes there. The majority of outfits in the game are fine for all weather conditions except for the snow, so as long as you have one outfit saved on your horse for cold weather, you'll be fine. The only thing it affects is making your health and stamina drain slightly quicker; it's a minor thing.

The core system is confusing. Here's an article that goes into good depth about the difference between the cores and the rings around them, and what each represents. I recommend reading it to give you a better understanding of how they work; after all, it's good to know whether you're moments from death or totally fine. Red Dead Redemption 2 cores guide.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

It sounds complicated at first if you're not used to games like this, but it's actually really simple.

Keep a heavy coat on your horse for when you're in the cold.

Eat (meat!) regularly to ensure your health regenerates as quickly as possible.

Increase stamina by running, rowing, swimming etc.

Pretty basic stuff, they just make it seem more obtuse than it is. Don't be overwhelmed.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
btw can you visit
Arthur's grave? It shows it in the ending so I figure it has to be somewhere in the game world. Is there any content there?

Yes you can.

In fact there are graves for everyone from the gang who dies - including Jenny who dies before the game begins, and Davey, who dies during the first minutes of Chapter 1.

Arthur's grave can be visited by John during the epilogues and is located NE of Bacchus Station, east of the river.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Just got to Valentine, and chased down a guy on horse, and i'm having some free-roam time now. Having much more fun. It's neat just walking around seeing stuff in Valentine. About to start a side-quest about a gunslinger or something.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
What the fuck? I went into the Sheriffs office. Walked around a bit, greeted the sheriff, and all of the sudden he turned hostile? And i got wanted for disturbing the peace? I didn't do anything.

Oct 27, 2017
I caught the legendary fish at Owinjila Lake but died on the way to the post office. The map shows it isn't crossed off but I can't seem to catch it. I've spent about two hours in total reeling in fish but no sign of the legendary one. I had assumed it would respawn back in the lake but now I'm worried. Any advice?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I caught the legendary fish at Owinjila Lake but died on the way to the post office. The map shows it isn't crossed off but I can't seem to catch it. I've spent about two hours in total reeling in fish but no sign of the legendary one. I had assumed it would respawn back in the lake but now I'm worried. Any advice?

You will have to sleep in a camp for as long as you can. After about 2-3 in-game days, it will spawn again. Save and reload while you are at it, too.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Finished it yesterday and loved the ending but there's one thing I'm not getting, what was the point of the wolves visions, who do they represent? Micah, Arthur or Dutch?

I love how Rockstar isn't afraid to kill their protagonists very graphically.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished it yesterday and loved the ending but there's one thing I'm not getting, what was the point of the wolves visions, who do they represent? Micah, Arthur or Dutch?

I love how Rockstar isn't afraid to kill their protagonists very graphically.

Haha you played the game as a dirtbag didn't you?

Visions represent Arthur and vary depending on honor.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got to Valentine, and chased down a guy on horse, and i'm having some free-roam time now. Having much more fun. It's neat just walking around seeing stuff in Valentine. About to start a side-quest about a gunslinger or something.

Great to see you're enjoying yourself now that you're out of the prologue.

That gunslinger quest doesn't need to be rushed. It made more sense to me to finish it organically and pursue those people when the gangs camp was in their region. Start with the one up north - Flaco Hernandez and shoot to be finished with it by about chapter 3 or 4. It'll make more sense narratively and gives you a cool little extra mission each chapter.

Also - regarding the random bounty - I also noticed that if Arthur loitered around law enforcement for too long he would inconsistently become wanted. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature but it definitely made me avoid the law whenever I could.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck? I went into the Sheriffs office. Walked around a bit, greeted the sheriff, and all of the sudden he turned hostile? And i got wanted for disturbing the peace? I didn't do anything.

When you're wanted for minor crimes like disturbing the peace, you can defuse the situation with the sheriff and he'll let you go.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One tip for you nice people who are just starting - and something I really wish I'd known early on my first game - is to keep a sharp eye on your map.

This game doesn't have icons for points of interest like, say, the Witcher 3 or most Ubisoft games, but it does show little black squares/rectangles for buildings and structures on the map. Almost all of these can be entered and looted and some of them even have unique quests/content. I was amazed at the variety. If you see a few buildings between you and our destination absolutely check them out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
btw can you visit

In addition to what everyone has already said, if you get 100% completion and go back to Arthur's grave, there's a short cutscene where John reminisces about Arthur. I've also heard you can encounter Mary Tilton there but I never saw her when I went up there.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Just had my first WTF moment of the game when
the Grays ambush you and kill Sean.
Very unexpected!

Also the mission confirms how much I can't stand Micah or Bill.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm stuck in chapter 2. I'm supposed to steal an oil wagon for John but the place is heavily guarded. I've tried gunning my way through and i end up being overwhelmed and die. I tried running in getting the wagon and escape, ended up being chased down and the wagon exploded. Tried about 10 times now.

I can't find anywhere to lower the difficulty, where do you do that?

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I finally got passed it! I just ran in stole the wagon and escaped. I died a few times from exploding wagon but on try i got very far i got a checkpoint starting with the wagon.

By the way, i love the irish guy.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm stuck in chapter 2. I'm supposed to steal an oil wagon for John but the place is heavily guarded. I've tried gunning my way through and i end up being overwhelmed and die. I tried running in getting the wagon and escape, ended up being chased down and the wagon exploded. Tried about 10 times now.

I can't find anywhere to lower the difficulty, where do you do that?
I hated, hated, HATED this mission on my first playthrough. I died probably 10 times trying to steal it from the yard. Turns out, the wagons leave that yard and you can steal them out in the world at the places they park without anyone even seeing you. The game does not tell you this, which is really annoying. But that's the best way to do the mission.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Finally finished, with all strangers and encounters done and a good amount of exploration time. The epilogue has its moments and some of the best montages in the game but it's a bloated ride to the finish line, with the high from the end of the last chapter wearing off long ago. A little too much wink and nudge and some unearned stuff in there as well.

My time with RDR2 has been complicated for sure, but glad to have seen it through after starting months ago. The rich atmosphere, Arthur's journey, subtle character interaction and progression - what it excels at is industry defining. So much effort in the little things in service of the big picture, like Arthur's journal, which had me seeking out new experiences just to fill out further.

Never grew entirely comfortable with the control and gamefeel but I learned to live with it. Most of the complaints about mission design and pacing ring true for me, found it difficult to play more than a few missions in one sitting. Had to step away often after random bullshit due to miscues or physics or pathing or the wanted system or glitches. And while it's clearly Rockstar's best written game, they revert to their tropes enough for it to be distracting and disappointing.

Wish I could love it more than I do, but still a monumental achievement and a world I still want to revisit and tinker around in, which I wasn't sure would be the case earlier on.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished, with all strangers and encounters done and a good amount of exploration time. The epilogue has its moments and some of the best montages in the game but it's a bloated ride to the finish line, with the high from the end of the last chapter wearing off long ago. A little too much wink and nudge and some unearned stuff in there as well.

My time with RDR2 has been complicated for sure, but glad to have seen it through after starting months ago. The rich atmosphere, Arthur's journey, subtle character interaction and progression - what it excels at is industry defining. So much effort in the little things in service of the big picture, like Arthur's journal, which had me seeking out new experiences just to fill out further.

Never grew entirely comfortable with the control and gamefeel but I learned to live with it. Most of the complaints about mission design and pacing ring true for me, found it difficult to play more than a few missions in one sitting. Had to step away often after random bullshit due to miscues or physics or pathing or the wanted system or glitches. And while it's clearly Rockstar's best written game, they revert to their tropes enough for it to be distracting and disappointing.

Wish I could love it more than I do, but still a monumental achievement and a world I still want to revisit and tinker around in, which I wasn't sure would be the case earlier on.

A fair and reasonable assessment. I think I probably enjoyed the gameplay more than you, which is probably why I liked the total package a bit more, but I've often felt that I wish more people for whom the gameplay didn't entirely click would see it through to the end. Because the character development and story/production values are as you said industry defining. The way things wrap up in Chapter 6 is really something that is hard to describe to those who haven't played it. You could watch the story on youtube, but you won't "feel" the story the way being immersed as Arthur unless you play it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I hated, hated, HATED this mission on my first playthrough. I died probably 10 times trying to steal it from the yard. Turns out, the wagons leave that yard and you can steal them out in the world at the places they park without anyone even seeing you. The game does not tell you this, which is really annoying. But that's the best way to do the mission.

Interesting, I didn't have any trouble getting in there but also had no idea you could just wait.

I went around the back, to the wall at the north corner of the property. Jumped over it, waited for the guards to mill about. I think I stealth took out one or two of them, I forget. But then I ambled over to the oil cart, hopped on and started riding away. The dead eyed a few of the guys to my recollection and then just hauled ass, killing the few that followed.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Finished the epilogue yesterday and I just noticed a massive missed opportunity

How cool would've been if in the ending when you're about to shoot Micah they do this
RareCheeryBluewhale-size_restricted.gif

but with RDR1's cover instead

john1280jpg-a2a495_1280w.jpg

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Finally playing this due to the recent psn sale

Props for the realism but I don't think I can handle shooting animals in this game. Yeah the skinning is brutal as well but the hit reactions and noises they make when they're hurt combined with the graphics is too much.

It only took decades and decades but shooting a videogame character has finally legitimately disturbed me and it's for wildlife animals and not any humans.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
I swear there was a way to see a transcript of everything? I can't hear what they say sometimes and I can't read the subtitles.
I'm not 100% sure as I haven't been on the singleplayer side in months, but see if there's a "Log" or something in the pause menu. I feel like I remember something like that or it's some other game intruding the memory.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm having a blast playing this game. I recently started chapter 3 and it's much better.

Question: Can i mainline the story without missing a bunch of stuff (side-quests etc)?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a blast playing this game. I recently started chapter 3 and it's much better.

Question: Can i mainline the story without missing a bunch of stuff (side-quests etc)?

Not really. At least do the stranger missions. I enjoy the hunting and fishing but it's not for everyone and can be safely ignored for the most part.

There's also some amazing stuff hidden around the map so exploration is pretty rewarding.

All in all the story can be mainlined but you'll be missing a lot of content and character development. Definitely see a show in Ste-Denis. It sounds boring to some people but they're actually amazing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I made arthur look like he's a 21st century hipster and its p cool

PS_Messages_20190227_105639.jpg

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Completely betrays his voice and demeanor though lol

It is ABSURD there's only 4 custom outfit slots.

Give me 50 cowards

Ha! I think you can still go to any shop or any camp and change your outfits for any of the ones you own. You can only take 4 outfits on your horse though. TBH, aside from the first missions of the game and that bear hunting mission with Isaiah early on, I hardly ever changed my costume.