Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT2| For A Few Hours More

So I got gambler challenge 8 a couple nights back by involving a friend while we shot the shit and had a friendly drink. Took a couple hours, but we eventually knocked out that final "3-hit" game where we got 19 and the dealer busted. I thought Gambler challenge 9 and 10 were going to take a while, but I managed to knock them both out tonight, first by playing all-threes domino against Mary Beth in camp, and then cleaning out a poker table by being a chip bully (and turning a lucky nut flush on the river) in Valentine. So that's treasure hunting and gambling knocked out. I'm only at herbalist 9, but I'm guessing that's the next one to get wrapped up.

Whoever designed the challenges in this game is woefully outdated on the concepts of game design and needs to review games that get it right (Spider-Man is an excellent example). The person who decided that weapons expert challenge two (killing three people in 10 seconds with throwing knives) should come before things like killing a certain number of people with crafted shotgun ammo or a specific shotgun does not understand how videogames work and has no business being in the industry. This game has some of the worst "challenges" I've ever seen, and I've been playing games for over 30 years now. Jesus fucking Christ. It honestly feels like a labor of pure hatred to go for 100%, because some of the challenges/trophies are the antithesis of fun. I love the game, but some of the design decisions are just terrible.

Does any of the money glitch still work?

Can I use my save game on an unpatched version of the game?
They were patched in the December patch.

And no saves are only compatable on the version they were saved on and newer, not older.

There’s $500 two minutes walk from the first camp though and money is so easy to come by anyway ... why do you need so much?

So I got gambler challenge 8 a couple nights back by involving a friend while we shot the shit and had a friendly drink. Took a couple hours, but we eventually knocked out that final "3-hit" game where we got 19 and the dealer busted. I thought Gambler challenge 9 and 10 were going to take a while, but I managed to knock them both out tonight, first by playing all-threes domino against Mary Beth in camp, and then cleaning out a poker table by being a chip bully (and turning a lucky nut flush on the river) in Valentine. So that's treasure hunting and gambling knocked out. I'm only at herbalist 9, but I'm guessing that's the next one to get wrapped up.

Whoever designed the challenges in this game is woefully outdated on the concepts of game design and needs to review games that get it right (Spider-Man is an excellent example). The person who decided that weapons expert challenge two (killing three people in 10 seconds with throwing knives) should come before things like killing a certain number of people with crafted shotgun ammo or a specific shotgun does not understand how videogames work and has no business being in the industry. This game has some of the worst "challenges" I've ever seen, and I've been playing games for over 30 years now. Jesus fucking Christ. It honestly feels like a labor of pure hatred to go for 100%, because some of the challenges/trophies are the antithesis of fun. I love the game, but some of the design decisions are just terrible.
I’m going through the challenges right now, too. Aside from the gambler challenges (five card blackjack hands is just asinine) I think they’re mostly a lot of fun. It’s just the execution is miserable.

Almost all my gripes would be satisfied if they were all available from the beginning and didn’t require you to do stuff you’ve already done by arbitrarily moving to the next tier.

Like five bow kills on cougars ... I’d already done that to complete recipes and now the challenge unlocks and I have to go farm them for no reason? It would make much more sense for them to unlock in any order. It’s not like the difference between unlocking an offhand holster versus a gun belt is a big one.

Also- horseman challenge - trample five creatures is basically just an animal cruelty simulator for no reason. Not a fan of that one.

I’m going through the challenges right now, too. Aside from the gambler challenges (five card blackjack hands is just asinine) I think they’re mostly a lot of fun. It’s just the execution is miserable.

Almost all my gripes would be satisfied if they were all available from the beginning and didn’t require you to do stuff you’ve already done by arbitrarily moving to the next tier.

Like five bow kills on cougars ... I’d already done that to complete recipes and now the challenge unlocks and I have to go farm them for no reason? It would make much more sense for them to unlock in any order. It’s not like the difference between unlocking an offhand holster versus a gun belt is a big one.

Also- horseman challenge - trample five creatures is basically just an animal cruelty simulator for no reason. Not a fan of that one.
They absolutely should all be available from the get-go. It is fucking mind-boggling that you need to kill three people in 10 seconds with throwing knives, kill three birds of prey with a tomahawk, kill four enemies with one dynamite blast and kill four consecutive enemies by retrieving the same tomahawk JUST to unlock a challenge to kill unaware people with a bow which I've been doing since the first couple missions of the game. Whoever came up with the challenge system in this game deserves to spend the rest of their life trodding barefoot on Lego. Why in God's holy name would completing challenges like "Sharpshooter" and "Weapons Expert" reward you with items that benefit health and not deadeye? Why do you get deadeye boosts from treasure hunting and picking flowers, activities that involve no shooting at all? I am legitimately furious at how shitty this part of the game is in comparison to the relative brilliance of almost everything else. Everything in this article is spot-on. I'm only doing them now because I've already played through the story once, and now I'm playing through it again so my wife can see the story and I need stuff to do while she's not around. And they're hot garbage. At least the progression of challenges in RDR1 made some logical sense. You can't even complete all the challenges in RDR2 until you've beaten the fucking game, at which point the rewards are useless. Like, just, how could you fuck this up so badly? It's utterly baffling.

Oct 25, 2017
Does any of the money glitch still work?

Can I use my save game on an unpatched version of the game?
I think they were all patched, but... just nominally playing the game you should never be poor.

I wished that the game had apartments strewn across the map rather than rentals, even if they serve the same purpose. I like the idea of owning property in games, ever since GTA San Adreas.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally. I've been playing off and on since release and managed to finish up chapter 6 just last night. This has been a weird one for me. Normally an open world game like this would completely consume me, but I just didn't feel compelled to keep playing. And the funny thing is I love pretty much everything about the game. For some reason it just ran out of steam for me around the middle of chapter 3. I think I spent way too much time piddling around with side activities early in the game. If I'd just stuck to the main storyline throughout, it probably would've been a much better experience.

The ending was good if a little unsatisfying, but I imagine the epilogues will cover of some of that. Something that's bugging me about the end of chapter 6:
If Micah was working with the Pinkertons, why didn't they swoop in immediately at Beaver Hollow to arrest/kill everyone?

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Chapter 6 tonight with the best ending, amazing. This is the first game for me to challenge and beat The Witcher 3 for GOTG and even GOAT. The writing is certainly leagues ahead of any other game, and better than most movies released last year.

Unfortunately the epilogue seems to be kind of a buzzkill following immediately after that ending.

I loved God of War too but it’s kind of ridiculous to me that it won so many GOTY awards over this.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
Finished Chapter 6 tonight with the best ending, amazing. This is the first game for me to challenge and beat The Witcher 3 for GOTG and even GOAT. The writing is certainly leagues ahead of any other game, and better than most movies released last year.

Unfortunately the epilogue seems to be kind of a buzzkill following immediately after that ending.

I loved God of War too but it’s kind of ridiculous to me that it won so many GOTY awards over this.
I agree with this on the retrospect. Going immediately from how C6 ends to how Epilogue 1 begins, its just a bit weird.

It would have been nice to switch to John immediately after Arthur's death and then escape with the law and the remaining gang with Abigail and Jack, before skipping forwards in time to where E1 begins. This would've been more natural

I agree with this on the retrospect. Going immediately from how C6 ends to how Epilogue 1 begins, its just a bit weird.

It would have been nice to switch to John immediately after Arthur's death and then escape with the law and the remaining gang with Abigail and Jack, before skipping forwards in time to where E1 begins. This would've been more natural
I disagree.
It would have been completely jarring to the pacing to have this long, drawn-out conclusion to Arthur's saga, culminating in the beautiful scene of him watching the sun rise for the last time, and then suddenly be thrust back into John in full-on panic "we need to get the hell out of here" mode. It was the perfect denouement to Arthur's story and I don't think anything could have improved it short of being able to actually fucking kill Micah (keeping him alive so Dutch can kill him later is inconsistent with Dutch's portrayal in RDR1 and completely undercuts John's animosity towards him; rather than keeping Micah alive as a villain, John's story in the Epilogue should end with his family being picked up by the Pinkertons who have picked up his scent based on something Dutch does, setting up the events of RDR1 and furthering John's motivations for pursuing Dutch at the request of his captors... that's a complaint for another time though).But I actually liked how the Epilgoue slowed everything right back down and gave me a chance to process the events that immediately preceded it; it was a welcome reprieve to a story that had been building in intensity for a really long time.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.
It would have been completely jarring to the pacing to have this long, drawn-out conclusion to Arthur's saga, culminating in the beautiful scene of him watching the sun rise for the last time, and then suddenly be thrust back into John in full-on panic "we need to get the hell out of here" mode. It was the perfect denouement to Arthur's story and I don't think anything could have improved it short of being able to actually fucking kill Micah (keeping him alive so Dutch can kill him later is inconsistent with Dutch's portrayal in RDR1 and completely undercuts John's animosity towards him; rather than keeping Micah alive as a villain, John's story in the Epilogue should end with his family being picked up by the Pinkertons who have picked up his scent based on something Dutch does, setting up the events of RDR1 and furthering John's motivations for pursuing Dutch at the request of his captors... that's a complaint for another time though).But I actually liked how the Epilgoue slowed everything right back down and gave me a chance to process the events that immediately preceded it; it was a welcome reprieve to a story that had been building in intensity for a really long time.
Yeah, I agree with this. I like how they paced it out.

If they picked up immediately where it left off, I think it would have been hard to process what just happened and the emotional toll of the game. RDR1 was similar, with time passing between when John died and Jack picks up. It also helps set up the epilogue scenes better when you run into your gang mates, time has passed since they've seen each other and nobody knows for sure whose alive or whose dead or what's going on.

Like you, I thought it'd make sense to lead right into RDR1... but I also don't mind how they did it either because it allows you to soak in being at home with John and the family, and also, it lets you explore New Austin to see the differences between RDR1 and Epilogue RDR2. Like, I love how Tumbleweed is the thriving city in New Austin, while Armadillo is ravaged with disease. I really like being able to explore to find differences... Thiefs Landing being an actual gang hideout, etc.

I only wish they made a little more effort with the border of the US and Mexico. Like, I'd love to see the train that crosses the border being in progress or something, like half built tracks going to the river... Or at least being able to see the structures of the towns in Mexico. I know that' dmake people want to explore it, or expect that you can explore it... but it's jarring to look across the Rio Bravo and not see any of the major towns, except for the one fort. I wish they just made simple geometric renders of them, similar to what they did with the fort. It just doesn't make sense that towns like Escalera don't exist when you look over from the US to Mexico. THough, I get it, there's limits to the amount of detail.

Yeah, I agree with this. I like how they paced it out.

If they picked up immediately where it left off, I think it would have been hard to process what just happened and the emotional toll of the game. RDR1 was similar, with time passing between when John died and Jack picks up. It also helps set up the epilogue scenes better when you run into your gang mates, time has passed since they've seen each other and nobody knows for sure whose alive or whose dead or what's going on.

Like you, I thought it'd make sense to lead right into RDR1... but I also don't mind how they did it either because it allows you to soak in being at home with John and the family, and also, it lets you explore New Austin to see the differences between RDR1 and Epilogue RDR2. Like, I love how Tumbleweed is the thriving city in New Austin, while Armadillo is ravaged with disease. I really like being able to explore to find differences... Thiefs Landing being an actual gang hideout, etc.

I only wish they made a little more effort with the border of the US and Mexico. Like, I'd love to see the train that crosses the border being in progress or something, like half built tracks going to the river... Or at least being able to see the structures of the towns in Mexico. I know that' dmake people want to explore it, or expect that you can explore it... but it's jarring to look across the Rio Bravo and not see any of the major towns, except for the one fort. I wish they just made simple geometric renders of them, similar to what they did with the fort. It just doesn't make sense that towns like Escalera don't exist when you look over from the US to Mexico. THough, I get it, there's limits to the amount of detail.
New Austin is mostly wasted. Sure, it's cool to see Tumbleweed as a bustling town or Armadillo ravaged by plague, but the whole area doesn't have much to do and it pales in comparison to the level of detail of the new areas. It ends up feeling tacked on and only included for nostalgia, which ultimately just feels disappointing. I would rather they end the game at the edge of West Elizabeth, which also works better for leading into RDR1 as some of the dialogue would make no sense if John had been exploring New Austin for several years prior to the events that occur in that game. It also means they wouldn't need to fill New Austin, an area that Arthur never gets to visit, with collectibles and challenges that prevent you from completing background content until you've effectively beaten the game. I want Arthur to be able to beat all the challenges and find all the dinosaur bones and not pass the buck to John to just hope he continues doing something that he and Arthur never even discussed.

And hey, while we're on a wishlist train, Arthur should have access to all of West Elizabeth in Chapter 6. Chapter 4 ends with a bank robbery and shootout that is worse than anything that happened in Blackwater; Chapter 5 ends with Arthur massacring a bunch of Pinkerton agents. SURELY that should lock him out of the state of Lemoyne the same way he is locked out of West Elizabeth by virtue of a robbery/murder that he wasn't even present for. And yet it's all just forgotten in Chapter 6... meanwhile, Blackwater stays off limits for no logical reason. Dump New Austin, toss a few remaining collectibles in West Elizabeth and let Arthur get them in Chapter 6 when he's no longer wanted in Blackwater because it's been like a year now and he's presumed dead at sea or unrecognizable from his illness or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
New Austin is mostly wasted. Sure, it's cool to see Tumbleweed as a bustling town or Armadillo ravaged by plague, but the whole area doesn't have much to do and it pales in comparison to the level of detail of the new areas. It ends up feeling tacked on and only included for nostalgia, which ultimately just feels disappointing. I would rather they end the game at the edge of West Elizabeth, which also works better for leading into RDR1 as some of the dialogue would make no sense if John had been exploring New Austin for several years prior to the events that occur in that game. It also means they wouldn't need to fill New Austin, an area that Arthur never gets to visit, with collectibles and challenges that prevent you from completing background content until you've effectively beaten the game. I want Arthur to be able to beat all the challenges and find all the dinosaur bones and not pass the buck to John to just hope he continues doing something that he and Arthur never even discussed.

And hey, while we're on a wishlist train, Arthur should have access to all of West Elizabeth in Chapter 6. Chapter 4 ends with a bank robbery and shootout that is worse than anything that happened in Blackwater; Chapter 5 ends with Arthur massacring a bunch of Pinkerton agents. SURELY that should lock him out of the state of Lemoyne the same way he is locked out of West Elizabeth by virtue of a robbery/murder that he wasn't even present for. And yet it's all just forgotten in Chapter 6... meanwhile, Blackwater stays off limits for no logical reason. Dump New Austin, toss a few remaining collectibles in West Elizabeth and let Arthur get them in Chapter 6 when he's no longer wanted in Blackwater because it's been like a year now and he's presumed dead at sea or unrecognizable from his illness or whatever.
Aye, agreed on a lot of it though...

I'm a sucker for nostalgia and loved... LOVED traveling around New Austin looking for similarities with RDR1 and seeing how they were different. I'm a sucker for that stuff, and loved going to points on the map just to see how they're different. Unfortunately, they were just so empty of things to do / people, etc, which makes some sense... but still I'd like to see more.

SOmething also that I liked is how RDR1 does feel more "open" in the environment to me than RDR2. Obviously, this is a difference of hardware... but the older hardware made the landscape more barren, forbidding, but it also led to these vast vistas of looking off into the distance with nothing but mostly prarie, plains, or desert in front of you. A lot of times in RDR2, while there were lookouts and so on, I always felt hemmed in by foliage, rocks, the design of the map... Now these were all really nice, it made for the ambiance, but part of me was longing for a wide open plain that isn't a dense forest or blocked vision of RDR1. I was glad to have that in the epilogue.

Also the videogame photographer in me just couldn't help snapping screenshots to compare RDR1 to RDR2. COuld help but get nostalgic when I first gazed from near McFarlane's ranch out towards Mexico.

On my first playthrough, I didn't complete a single challenge area (I got close on the treasure hunter side). This time through, I've managed to complete the treasure hunter challenges (really fun, I would have done them even if they weren't challenges), gambler challenges (UGH) and the sharpshooter challenges (actually pretty good except for the shooting hats thing which I learned doesn't work with selecting targets in deadeye after I murdered an entire saloon full of people). I still don't like how you can only have one active in a particular section at a time, but I admit that I felt a certain amount of pride in seeing the little pop-up "Challenge completed." And now I have my health, stamina and dead-eye at level 9 instead of level 8 or whatever, so that's cool.

Finally finished up Chapter 4 and started Chapter 5 on this playthrough so my wife could see what the hullabaloo was all about. It's still a massive WTF even knowing what's going to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
After a month off I've gotten to sink another 10 or so hours into this game and damn, it's just so good.

I just did the mission in
where you're kidnapped by the odriscolls so they can set a trap for your gang. I thought I might actually die :lol. Got the couple weeks later screen and it looks like everything is going to be fine though.

When you save, what's the % mean?

After a month off I've gotten to sink another 10 or so hours into this game and damn, it's just so good.

I just did the mission in
where you're kidnapped by the odriscolls so they can set a trap for your gang. I thought I might actually die :lol. Got the couple weeks later screen and it looks like everything is going to be fine though.

When you save, what's the % mean?
Game completion.

Although it’s total completion, not just story. But if you’ve been mostly doing story stuff it’s a decent metric for how far along you are. If you’ve been exploring, hunting, gambling a lot then all bets are off.

Oct 25, 2017
Game completion.

Although it’s total completion, not just story. But if you’ve been mostly doing story stuff it’s a decent metric for how far along you are. If you’ve been exploring, hunting, gambling a lot then all bets are off.
Thanks. I've done a decent amount of exploring and hunting I think. I got the legendary bag in chapter 2. I think I'm at 45% or so in chapter 3.