Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT2| For A Few Hours More

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Without spoilers, what is the best point to really drop the story and focus on roaming around and doing side stuff? The story is very compelling but I'd like to carve out a fair bit of time for optional stuff before continuing. Is there a chapter that's best to do this in? If so, what part of that chapter? i.e. beginning or end of chapter 3, beginning or end of chapter 4, etc. Appreciate any guidance.

Dragon's Game

Apr 1, 2019
I know i have been asking this question a bit on other threads, but I wanted to get your guys opinions

Are the Houser Brothers, can we consider them legends of the game industry on the same level as say Warren Spector, Neil Druckmann, Kojima, Miyazaki. Or are they not at that level yet? My friend and I have been debating this for a while now

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I know i have been asking this question a bit on other threads, but I wanted to get your guys opinions

Are the Houser Brothers, can we consider them legends of the game industry on the same level as say Warren Spector, Neil Druckmann, Kojima, Miyazaki. Or are they not at that level yet? My friend and I have been debating this for a while now

How can they not be? They're the creators of the biggest game franchise in the world (GTA).

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Without spoilers, what is the best point to really drop the story and focus on roaming around and doing side stuff? The story is very compelling but I'd like to carve out a fair bit of time for optional stuff before continuing. Is there a chapter that's best to do this in? If so, what part of that chapter? i.e. beginning or end of chapter 3, beginning or end of chapter 4, etc. Appreciate any guidance.

Chapter 2 and 3 are the best parts of the game for roaming and doing side stuff. Chapter 4 you can as well, but the story gets a bit more compelling and pressing and Chapter 4 has a general area of focus so I'd recommend 2/3. Chapter 6 is long and there are a lot of side quests and its so late in the story if you've been playing that long you are probably going to want to concentration on the story.

After Chapter 3 I guess you could say it makes a bit less sense that you'd be roaming around and shooting the breeze - you can, but it makes less sense given that the narrative picks up.

Oct 28, 2017
the question is.....

will Dan Houser revert back to the silliness of GTA 5 after this game for GTA 6? or will he continue to build on what he accomplished with Arthur and RDR 2?
Considering recent comments they'll go back to the ironic bigotry from GTA and threads in this forum (assuming it's still around by then) will be a disaster.

The reason RDR2's writing is actually somewhat decent is because the material for it is different and they had different movies to rip-off as Rockstar has always done.

Dragon's Game

Apr 1, 2019
Considering recent comments they'll go back to the ironic bigotry from GTA and threads in this forum (assuming it's still around by then) will be a disaster.

The reason RDR2's writing is actually somewhat decent is because the material for it is different and they had different movies to rip-off as Rockstar has always done.
RDR 2 has amazing writing and Arthur is considered the greatest protagonist of this gen

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I lean towards "as early as possible," but some content doesn't get unlocked until you do story mission tied to it (e.g. early on in Chapter 2 there is a mission called Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego which unlocks legendary animals for hunting). Once you've unlocked the ability to fish (through a Chapter 2 misison), you'll basically have access to everything outside of the horse fence, and the story moves along at a slower pace in Chapter 2 which lends itself to more exploration. Now, some of the strangers are chapter specific, so you won't have access to all of them until a little later. On my second playthrough I prioritized side content in Chapter 2, while still taking on the occasional story mission to drive things forward; I had completed all of the satchels before Chapter 3, along with most of the legendary hunts, and completed all the camp stuff early on in Chapter 3. I completely cleared any remaining stranger quests early in Chapter 4 which left me free to prioritize the story going forward.

Also, without spoiling anything, there are a couple strangers/sidequests that don't appear until Chapter 6, and they're easy to miss if you're sticking to the story. I highly recommend finding them, as they are some of the best side content in the game, and open up a deeper look into the complexity of Arthur's character.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I wish they'd hurry up and release the soundtrack. It's got some brilliant moments; May I Stand Unshaken, That's the Way It Is, whatever that song is that plays when you're descending out of the mountains at the end of Chapter 1. There's a mission in the epilogue that has a very unique song associated with it, and that song is currently stuck in my head, and I can't even play it to get it out of my head without loading some random YouTube video to find it. Release the soundtrack! And the score while you're at it!

Dragon's Game

Apr 1, 2019
is RDR 2 considered profitable at the moment. with the resources their putting in online its not making the same money as GTA Online?

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
95 hours later and finally finished chapter 6.

Easily one of the greatest games I've ever experienced. Those last two missions were fucking sublime.

Arthur's final ride to camp...no words

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd hurry up and release the soundtrack. It's got some brilliant moments; May I Stand Unshaken, That's the Way It Is, whatever that song is that plays when you're descending out of the mountains at the end of Chapter 1. There's a mission in the epilogue that has a very unique song associated with it, and that song is currently stuck in my head, and I can't even play it to get it out of my head without loading some random YouTube video to find it. Release the soundtrack! And the score while you're at it!
I'm still waiting for this too. Shortly after the game came out they announced the soundtrack would be released, but that was about 5 months ago now.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
After i finished the game several months ago i recently keep coming back to this incredible open world... it's just great to be in and to see what happens or what situation unfolds as i play the game.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
the question is.....

will Dan Houser revert back to the silliness of GTA 5 after this game for GTA 6? or will he continue to build on what he accomplished with Arthur and RDR 2?
Yeah, I wonder that myself.

There were characters in GTA5 that were done decently well, like I think Trevor and Lamar were the most well done characters in that game... Even though Trevor is, obviously, a horrible person, he actually has complex emotional motivations as opposed to characters like Michael and Franklin. Michael's motivations are incoherent. Franklin's are as generic and one-sided as you can get ("MONEY!"). Trevor, while a horrible person and obviously a psycho, actually has very interesting psychologically deep motivations... The weird relationship with his mother and as a result with other people, his really twisted but consistent sense of right and wrong, how he sees himself compared to other people. There's stuff that that the other characters in that game just don't have.

GTA, though, is just overly cynical. All the characters (except for Trevor, I think), hate the world that they live in. Every character from the most minor NPC, to the dominant protagonist, to all of the antagonists and side characters, are deeply cynical, and it makes the story one-sided, bland, and exhausting. I think you can contrast this to RDR2, where there are cynical characters and cynicism is part of some character's personality, but for the most part, there's an optimism and hopefulness ... which probably comes from Dutch, but it makes for real character change and depth in personalities. If someone dies in GTAV (anybody, side character or not), it doesn't feel consequential because you feel like the characters you play as are so cynical about those characters that it doesn't carry meaning for you, the player. In RDR2, it's the opposite. When characters die (Spoiler: some characters will die in this game!) they feel meaningful and important because you feel like those characters mean something to other characters in the game, and as a result you care about them more.

We'll see... GTAVI will probably go back to the overwhelming cynicism of GTAV. I think the comments the Houser's made about "Writing in the age of Trump" makes sense though. Trump ... is basically the manifestation of GTA's over-the-top hyperbolic characters, except he's that in real human flesh, and so to TOP Trump is so difficult. GTA has always taken a satirical approach, sometimes succeeding but often times failing, but when the mainstream President of the United States is more ridiculous than the satirical political characters that Rockstar has done in the past, it's way harder to then top that.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So the second gun holster doesn't show up in cutscenes, like ever, is that a glitch on my side or is it for everyone else? It really bothers me.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well...to say it's poorly written is an understatement, says "Arthur is a character without character" (what?), and says people who like the game are basically MAGA hat wearing conservatives (???). I don't think there's anything to discuss.

I just discovered the /r/reddeadmysteries subreddit and there are so many things I haven't discovered in this game yet. I actually stopped reading because I want to stumble across these myself.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
http://tevisthompson.com/its-not-coming-back/

thoughts on Tevis Thompson's critique of the game?
That is one of the single worst pieces of critique I have ever read about anything ever. The entire thing reeks of "bitch eating crackers" hatred, where the author's distaste for a game has spilled over into calling it not just possibly the worst game of all time (which is a piece of hyperbole that is frankly offensive in its stupidity), but using it as a cudgel to insist that every critic who liked it is a hack and that players who enjoyed it (or indeed God of War, Celeste or Return of the Obra Dinn, the "mediocre" titles that are somehow making best of the year lists) are somehow the destructive force that is ruining gaming for the truly woke. It is masturbatory horseshit from someone who thinks they know better than the majority of the people. It's fine if you want to sit around sniffing your own farts, but insulting everyone who doesn't think the same way as you makes you sound like an insufferable dipshit. And if you go on to read his review of what makes Assassin's Creed Odyssey one of the best games of the year, nearly all of it applies to Red Dead Redemption 2, a point that he obviously realizes as he has to call it an "alternative to that malakas cowboy game" at the end lest his hypocrisy be on full display. Just worthless sputtering outrage.

I did agree with his take on Subnautica. Brilliant, underrated game, and I highly encourage everyone to check it out.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
why does Uncle think Dutch reading too much is a bad thing/problematic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HqU6gL6Wfo
That's Micah & Hosea, right? Maybe the wrong video.

But, Uncle being an old hillbilly is probably suspicious of people reading educational material. Likely for the same reason that John is suspicious of his son reading books in RDR1 & 2, just a general skepticism of academia, which is associated with urban folks, government, etc.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pointlessly stupid rant which isn't even about Red Dead Redemption II, and doesn't explain any of why the author feels that way... The author just keeps stating "it's a con" As if saying that over and over again, and saying it in different ways over and over again, makes it true.

If someone can play the game and legitimately thinks that the characters, character development, and story are bad, then I really don't think they have taste, or they hate the game for other reasons and have already made up their mind about it and have decided it's all terrible. I think the criticism of gameplay mechanics and mission design in Rockstar games is true and if it's not your thing, then it's not your thing, but if you could stomach the mission design and gameplay mechanics enough to play through the game, and you reach that conclusion about characters and character development, then you're just not a smart person.

There are many points that are just objectively wrong in it, like how RDRII is a story about "white frontier freedom." It really isn't. Red Dead Redemption 1 is a story about "white frontier freedom," about how civilization and the government is sweeping further throughout the previously lawless west. But almost none of RDRII is about that. Red Dead Redemption II is a relationship drama from the very beginning through to the end. And RDRII tells more compelling stories about non-White characters, in a better way, than any major game in the last 5 or 10 years, maybe longer. A lot of games that feature prominent people of color or non-white characters, especially in the "AAA" category (As much as I dislike the phrase, most people get what I mean by it), treat race or being non-white as just a fact of their characters, but something that the game never addresses why it matters. For instance, Alyx Vance is a person of color in Half-Life 2, but Alyx Vance could be white, black, Asian, Dutch Irish, or Inuit and it really wouldn't change any of her character because her race is more or less just a factual accident of her character (this isn't a criticism of HL2, Valve, or Alyx Vance either, it's just how it is... and HL2 came out in ~2002 or whenever so that game was generally ahead of the curve making female POC characters that weren't just sexual eye candy for the player).

Beyond that, the main thesis of this post is about how like this 'idealized' view of White America "is not coming back," or something, but ... Red Dead Redemption II is not an idealized view of the West, it's an anti-Western. And for someone who thinks critically and writes about videogames to not realize that about RDRII is ... just a major gap in understanding.

But, personally, I suspect that author hates the game for other reasons, or never actually played it, and so is writing that conclusion as a hot take to generate a reaction.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm just about to wrap up the story on my second playthrough (I only have the final mission of the Epilogue to go). I have one final stranger questline outstandning (Evelyn Miller), and a bounty hunting target, and then it's just a matter of wrapping up all the collectables; I've still got to find some dino bones, do 20 or so challenges, get 8 or so legendary fish, 3 legendary animals, 3 levels of hunting requests, 30 cigarette cards, 2 more robbery types (which I'll get as part of the bandit challenges), and a couple gang hideouts. There's too much content in this game. I am curious to try 100%ing it, although I'll never get all the trophies because I'm not touching the online with a 60 foot pole.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Boy, just finished the game (not epilogue) and what a great story that was! Arthur Morgon is one of my favourite protagonist ever. A question. Is there a pay-off to playing the epilogue? I've played a few minutes and i'm kind of meh about it. Can i call it quits now without missing anything major?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well, finished the game last night and now I'm a fucking wreck.

Chapter 6 was just a depressing fucking mess, the camp getting smaller, people leaving, people dying.

Take me back to Chapter 2 please. :(

Granholme

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone waiting on the soundtrack release I can’t recommend Bruce Langhorne’s OST for The Hired Hand enough - pretty sure it was a major source of inspiration for RDR2’s composers

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Boy, just finished the game (not epilogue) and what a great story that was! Arthur Morgon is one of my favourite protagonist ever. A question. Is there a pay-off to playing the epilogue? I've played a few minutes and i'm kind of meh about it. Can i call it quits now without missing anything major?
Finish the epilogue. Seriously. It's a bit slow at first, but there are some genuinely great moments, particularly the very last mission. You'll be doing yourself a disservice by not finishing it, even if you just read or watch it. Just burn through the missions one after another, it doesn't take too long if you do it that way. The epilogues (and small cutscenes during the credits) give some answers to things that happened at the end of the main story.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Love this video about how places change throughout the story:

A lot of these are really easy to miss. I stumbled upon a train crew working on one of those railroad sections at some point, and rode by, and then wanted to check it out again later to see what was going on there, but for the life of me couldn't remember where it ws. Well, turns out they just finished the track in that time.

I love when the worlds change with time, and when games remember how your actions influence the game world... WHen they integrate the passage of time into the game in the story it's just subtle little changes that I really like.

And not only does the passage of time affect the world, but also minor NPC characters:

Oh for sure. Epilogue starts a little slow but it has some good missions and puts a nice bow on the game leading into the story of Red Dead Redemption 1.

Plus, I loved going back to locations from RDR1 and seeing how they were different 10+ years prior.

Last edited:

Barnboi

Alt-account.
Banned
Jan 2, 2019
I'm sure I'm at the end....just couldn't take fighting the controls any longer. Some day, I will finish I guess. Other games to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The epilogue offers some nice closure and sets the scene for Red Dead Redemption 1 if you've played it or intend to. It's also got some genuinely good missions. The first few are slow, but it picks up. And, of course, it opens up an enormous section of map you couldn't visit during the main story. It's not a bad thing to take a break for a few days to process the main story, but I would recommend completing the epilogue after that.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well this is crap.

I just started the epilogue.

Seems the horses you had as Arthur are all gone, even Buell you get from Hamish, that fucking sucks, I didn't even get to ride him.

Please tell me Buell respawns.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, will take a few days off before doing the epilogue. The end of chapter 6 drained me emotionally and
John sucks

Fighting words. The epilogue is really good and moves at swift pace if you stick to the main missions (don't bother trying to do side stuff). It actually refreshed me on the game.

And I'd like to know if you still feel that way about him after the epilogue. (is that based on RDR1 or your interactions with him in RDR2 or both?)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is crap.

I just started the epilogue.

Seems the horses you had as Arthur are all gone, even Buell you get from Hamish, that fucking sucks, I didn't even get to ride him.

Please tell me Buell respawns.
Aaah too bad sounds like you can't.

I unlocked Buell in the epilogue.

It does kinda make sense that the horses are gone from Arthur, John's a different person and 8 years pass between the end of the game and the Epilogue. Too bad for people who just unlocked Buell in Chapter 6.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If I don't want to do competitive, are my only options for xp still primarily the same 6 coop missions? Did they buff the SP world activities?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Aaah too bad sounds like you can't.

I unlocked Buell in the epilogue.

It does kinda make sense that the horses are gone from Arthur, John's a different person and 8 years pass between the end of the game and the Epilogue. Too bad for people who just unlocked Buell in Chapter 6.
Didn't even know you could do the stranger missions in the epilogue.

Will think about that when replaying the game someday.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know you could do the stranger missions in the epilogue.

Will think about that when replaying the game someday.
Oh, yeah, I realized that after the last mission and was like "oh... nice!" There's new stranger missions too that specifically appear in the epilogue as well. I think any missions that are really tied to a specific place, like camp missions in a specific location, will (obviously) not be available. But the ones that don't feature prominent gang characters/roles will be.

Psychoward

Nov 7, 2017
So trying to complete the challenges was a mistake. I got annoyed especially at tbe bandit ones and basically lost interest to play.

Now Im just focusing on the story again while doing the occasional hunting for upgrades and I'm loving the game again.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So trying to complete the challenges was a mistake. I got annoyed especially at tbe bandit ones and basically lost interest to play.

Now Im just focusing on the story again while doing the occasional hunting for upgrades and I'm loving the game again.
Yeah, this. Some of the challenges are cool and interesting, but virtually everything about how they are presented and executed within the game is implemented very poorly. That said, completing one set in each of the three areas (stamina, health and dead eye) is a good way to get a stat boost; completing one challenge group to completion gives you an additional bar, and completing all three gives you a second bar (it's the only way to max your stats). Here's which challenges boost what:

Health: Herbalist, Hunter, Weapons Expert
Stamina: Survivalist, Horseman, Explorer
Dead Eye: Bandit, Gambler, Sharpshooter

You flat-out cannot complete Herbalist or Horseman before the epilogue, and I don't believe you can do Survivalist either, so don't worry about those early on (you can do them as you go, obviously, but eventually you'll hit a wall, so if you're only interested in the initial stat boost, they aren't a good choice). Explorer is the easiest and most fun challenge set, so there's Stamina wrapped up. I vastly preferred Hunter to Weapons Expert, so I recommend that for your Health option. Bandit is annoying but can be done early. Gambler is obnoxious RNG, but some of the sidegames are actually fun (poker is always fun, and I actually enjoy the domino game where you have to have sides divisible by 5). Sharpshooter would be my choice for Dead Eye (I actually ended up getting Gambler first, but Sharpshooter is entertaining). So if you just do those three - Explorer, Hunter, Sharpshooter - you'll get the best stat boosts you can manage before the epilogue, and none of them are particularly grindy.

Note that to get the stat boosts, you have to buy the complete item sets from the Trapper in each respective group, and they only fully unlock upon completing Challenge 10 in any respective group.

Psychoward

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, this. Some of the challenges are cool and interesting, but virtually everything about how they are presented and executed within the game is implemented very poorly. That said, completing one set in each of the three areas (stamina, health and dead eye) is a good way to get a stat boost; completing one challenge group to completion gives you an additional bar, and completing all three gives you a second bar (it's the only way to max your stats). Here's which challenges boost what:

Health: Herbalist, Hunter, Weapons Expert
Stamina: Survivalist, Horseman, Explorer
Dead Eye: Bandit, Gambler, Sharpshooter

You flat-out cannot complete Herbalist or Horseman before the epilogue, and I don't believe you can do Survivalist either, so don't worry about those early on (you can do them as you go, obviously, but eventually you'll hit a wall, so if you're only interested in the initial stat boost, they aren't a good choice). Explorer is the easiest and most fun challenge set, so there's Stamina wrapped up. I vastly preferred Hunter to Weapons Expert, so I recommend that for your Health option. Bandit is annoying but can be done early. Gambler is obnoxious RNG, but some of the sidegames are actually fun (poker is always fun, and I actually enjoy the domino game where you have to have sides divisible by 5). Sharpshooter would be my choice for Dead Eye (I actually ended up getting Gambler first, but Sharpshooter is entertaining). So if you just do those three - Explorer, Hunter, Sharpshooter - you'll get the best stat boosts you can manage before the epilogue, and none of them are particularly grindy.

Note that to get the stat boosts, you have to buy the complete item sets from the Trapper in each respective group, and they only fully unlock upon completing Challenge 10 in any respective group.
The game has no difficulty settings and is already super easy even without crafting so I think I'll just complete the story and then go back to the more mundane things. It was actually the bandit challenge that I was trying to do because I was trying to roleplay as a good guy so I figured I would get that out of the way first. But it was so repetitive and I was just not having fun and losing a ton of honor so I gave up lol

It's annoying though because I really want some of the trapper clothes but the requirements are so steep and there's no way to buy them out.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Finished the Prologue.

Having not played the first game (although I know the ending) I was not expecting to get control over John in the prologue, it was a bit bittersweet after spending 60+ hours with Arthur.

The ending with John felt so freaking good , finally get to shoot Micah in the damn face, didn't expect Dutch to help me though, Arthur could have used that Dutch after fighting Micah. So sad to see the downfall of the gang. Arthur was his damn son, John too.

I'm honestly considering starting a new game and just stay in Chapter 2 forever.