• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I believe it's "arse over tits". (Otherwise he'd just be sitting upright.)

I agree with you, though. Have to be in the mood for the cumbersome controls, then the world and characters really shine.
I don't even mind the extra animations and movement quirks, as long as I take my time then I can play with these things rather than against them.
But the context-sensitive stuff can be a right pain.
I spent like 5 minutes trying to make sure that saying was right, and as an Australian I have disappointed my country.

I just get annoyed because it pulls you out with the frustration towards the control. I get so into the world and then suddenly I'm cursing at not being able to bloody follow properly despite the game yelling at me I could. Or trying to do an action and it feel like two nights have passed before it's accomplished. Detail is great, but repetitive detail for the sake is bothersome.
The inability to cancel an action mid-animation is also extremely annoying. I was picking a flower in a cow pasture, and the camera is very clearly showing a bull in the act of charging at my character. I want to move, but clearly the act of trimming the flower is a delicate one and can't be interrupted just because I'm about to be gored in the face by a 2,000 pound animal. And so I dutifully clip the flower, place it in my satchel and immediately watch my body get ragdolled 20 yards over a fence because the game has (in the interest of realism) determined that once a human starts on a task, it is impossible for them to disengage until the task has been seen through to completion.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The inability to cancel an action mid-animation is also extremely annoying. I was picking a flower in a cow pasture, and the camera is very clearly showing a bull in the act of charging at my character. I want to move, but clearly the act of trimming the flower is a delicate one and can't be interrupted just because I'm about to be gored in the face by a 2,000 pound animal. And so I dutifully clip the flower, place it in my satchel and immediately watch my body get ragdolled 20 yards over a fence because the game has (in the interest of realism) determined that once a human starts on a task, it is impossible for them to disengage until the task has been seen through to completion.
Got a good chuckle out of me. That'll teach ya to pick the cows' flowers!

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Completed it today.
Devastated Arthur dies. All through the epilogue I was hoping he secretly survived and would appear allowing us to play as him again.

I liked the epilogue and John but there's something depressing about him, maybe it's knowing how he ends up. This game was an emotional experience to say the least.

I loved those visions he had with the deer. The music was so perfect. I must look them up on YouTube again.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Completed it today.
Devastated Arthur dies. All through the epilogue I was hoping he secretly survived and would appear allowing us to play as him again.

I liked the epilogue and John but there's something depressing about him, maybe it's knowing how he ends up. This game was an emotional experience to say the least.

I loved those visions he had with the deer. The music was so perfect. I must look them up on YouTube again.
I don't know what the prevailing thought is, but I assume you should still spoiler tag story related stuff. Also, interesting note:
The animal you see is based on your honor. Honorable people see a deer. Dishonorable people get a wolf or coyote (I don't remember if the debate about that ever settled), and I think middle honor is an eagle. So congrats on playing honorably (the correct way).

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I feel the same as a lot of people on here. The world they created is so amazing but it's just let down by so many terrible design decisions. It's such a shame.

Whenever I play it I feel that I am constantly fighting the controls. RDR2 is such a beautiful world with incredible graphics and sounds but ultimately a pretty mediocre video game.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I must be really lucky to almost never had any issues with the controls. I liked that it had a much slower pace than other games, it was often a welcomed change of play during the week

Finished the main story, I am on the middle of the epilogue, this game is incredibly long, but god it is worth the time. Arthur's Story is one of my favorite of the entire generation. Such a likeable protagonist

The ending was really emotional. Specially when my horse died, I was legit tearing up. I've been playing for what, 6 months? Don't know how many hours, but I've been with her for so long I actually cared about her in every firefight and such.

Playing with John is cool, but I really, really miss Arthur

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah I was an emotional wreck too. The entire last mission was full of feels.

On the game itself it's a shame you could move faster in camp. Very frustrating.

so Arthur dies which was very sad but I found it very annoying you lose him and your horse for good. A system like GTA V where you can change character and play them both would have been ideal. Arthur it would put you back in time and John present day. If I knew Red Dead Redemption was his last Misson I'd not have played it until I did all the challenges and collectables as Arthur. Something is very depressing playing as John.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah I was an emotional wreck too. The entire last mission was full of feels.

On the game itself it's a shame you could move faster in camp. Very frustrating.

so Arthur dies which was very sad but I found it very annoying you lose him and your horse for good. A system like GTA V where you can change character and play them both would have been ideal. Arthur it would put you back in time and John present day. If I knew Red Dead Redemption was his last Misson I'd not have played it until I did all the challenges and collectables as Arthur. Something is very depressing playing as John.
I just think the game has a massive disconnect between the narrative and the inherent "here's a bunch of side content" stuff that abounds in open worlds. It's fine in Chapters 2 and 3, where Arthur's whole angle is getting money any way possible. Sure, spend some time gambling, sure, steal a bunch of things, sure, go hunting. It works, even if it makes things feel a bit stagnant as far as progression goes. But by Chapter 4 you're losing gang members left and right, the Pinkertons are breathing down your neck and you've pissed off the local crime boss; it makes absolutely no sense, in that context, for Arthur to say "right, I'm going to go hunt this legendary buck I heard about two states over." In Chapter 5, you aren't even on the same map, in Chapter 6 you're dying of tuberculosis, and then the epilogues are devoted to John telling his wife time and again that he's leaving the life of crime and violence behind for good; Micah's death brings closure to that. So, again, there's this tremendous sense of ludonarrative dissonance for your character to say he's ready to settle down while you're thinking "yeah, but I'm going to go rob a train to finish up this outstanding challenge." For more than half the game, most of the side content (with the exception of some stranger missions such as Hamish or Charlotte) feel like they're running completely counter to the story. It makes absolutely no sense for John to abandon his wife and travel across multiple states to go hang outside the prison he is still wanted for escaping from to catch a large catfish because someone he never met offered to pay Arthur for it. But as a completionist gamer? I'm catching that fish.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Can't disagree Atomic.

There's a trophy called lending a hand. You must complete all honor missions. There was a glitch that definitely worked pre 1.10 patch. All you hand to do was replay the home improvement for beginners mission. They better not have fucking patched it last week. I missed at most 2 honour missions and maybe even just one. Just my luck it it's patched.

The platinum is hard enough without doing a new playthtough. And I'll be sick of the missions after replaying then loads to get the Gold medals.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, my name is Maxime and I finished the Chapter 6 of the video game Red Dead Redemption 2 and I feel a lil' empty at the moment.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
I miss
Arthur
, if I know what was gonna happen I would do a lot of things differently and more

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it. What a great game. I wish I played it sooner.

I'm now tempted to dig up my PS3 to play RDR1. I'd like to play it while the characters are fresh in my memory.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played in a while, and it seems like the weapon loadout system is worse now? I have a rifle equipped, jump down off the horse, and it disappears. Right out of his hands.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it's my only issue with the game. This is the best game I have ever played.

It's a pretty bad issue they introduced into the game. If you're into hunting, or at least doing it for crafting, you get off your horse to skin SO many times during the game. I'll be curious to see if it does that while you're in the middle of combat.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I haven't played in a while, and it seems like the weapon loadout system is worse now? I have a rifle equipped, jump down off the horse, and it disappears. Right out of his hands.
In a mission or just freeroam? Missions are sometimes wonky about changing up your loadout, but I haven't noticed it as much in freeroam, certainly not to the extent where a weapon I have equipped just disappears. I may not have played the latest patch though... been a few weeks.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
In a mission or just freeroam? Missions are sometimes wonky about changing up your loadout, but I haven't noticed it as much in freeroam, certainly not to the extent where a weapon I have equipped just disappears. I may not have played the latest patch though... been a few weeks.

Then it's the latest patch I guess. Just out in the world hunting. I select the rifle I want, jump down off the horse, and the gun is immediately gone out of Arthur's hands. Like I said in my other post, I played a ton at release, so I missed all the patches that have come out since.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Has to be some glitch that can happen. I played more, saving and loading the game, and I was keeping my weapons when dismounting, doing the same type of thing (hunting in the world). Maybe if it happens, restarting the game may fix it, or something else I did in game. 🤷‍♂️

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Just double dipped while the PS4 version was on sale (went ultimate) gonna do a dishonorable playthrough (Xbox was the honor playthrough) and probably stay in chapter 2/3 for a while...at least until a PC version is announced.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
The Edith Downes story arc in Annesberg is heartbreaking to play through (going through the good route)

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never played any of the Red Dead games, but the aesthetic of the online is seriously tempting me. Is it worth jumping in now or did I miss the boat?
Also any whispers of a pc version in the near future?

This might be too late but if you like the aesthetic then I think it's worth it. The online launched rough but it's slowly getting better. It's a little bit grindy, I would recommend playing for single player but online isn't a bad way to play.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Just a quick clip to show what's going on with the weapon thing. Reloading the game seems to fix it, until it starts happening again.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Finally... Details on the soundtrack. July 12

Pitchfork: "Red Dead Redemption 2" Soundtrack Detailed: D'Angelo, Josh Homme, and More.
I heard this short but sweet track on a loading screen for a Showdown mode, and love it. For anyone on PS4, it's Song 1 included with the free RDR2 pack for Share Factory:

Hopefully it makes it onto the Woody Jackson Original Score album.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
While obviously not part of rdr I've been digging this debut album by Orville Peck, called Pony. Really fits a lot of the rdr2 mood and theme.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Questions about that Album list of song. Is the Mountain Hymn song what I've seen called See the Fire in Your Eyes? Is the House Building Song on there - can't tell by some of these titles. Would be a bummer if these aren't on there.

Glad to see both versions of Cruel Cruel World on there - especially the Willie Nelson one.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Questions about that Album list of song. Is the Mountain Hymn song what I've seen called See the Fire in Your Eyes? Is the House Building Song on there - can't tell by some of these titles. Would be a bummer if these aren't on there.

Glad to see both versions of Cruel Cruel World on there - especially the Willie Nelson one.
Mountain Hymn is the same as See the Fire in Your Eyes, yes. I don't think the house building song is on that list. Google says it's by David Ferguson and he doesn't show up on the soundtrack.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Mountain Hymn is the same as See the Fire in Your Eyes, yes. I don't think the house building song is on that list. Google says it's by David Ferguson and he doesn't show up on the soundtrack.

Okay, I think my top 4 with vocals are there (Unshaken, Cruel World, Mountain Hymn, and That's the Way It Is). House building one I hope is available somewhere else.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So every time I try to play Sport of Kings I'm the only one queued up. Wanted to try it after some game site had an article about it being fun and I already found the tomahawk mode really fun.

But nobody is playing this? Been trying every day since Friday and nothing...

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
So every time I try to play Sport of Kings I'm the only one queued up. Wanted to try it after some game site had an article about it being fun and I already found the tomahawk mode really fun.

But nobody is playing this? Been trying every day since Friday and nothing...
If GTA Online has taught me anything, it's that specific game modes will probably be dead once they're no longer the focus. Your best bet is probably to wait until Rockstar are running a weekly bonus on that mode... should that week ever come.

Alternatively, now that the entire player base sees the same daily challenges, you could hope that they include a Sport of Kings specific one. But I don't believe they've done anything that mode specific yet, so don't hold your breath on that one.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for the vocal soundtrack coming out, but what I really need is the full Woody Jackson score. He did some incredible work for this.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If GTA Online has taught me anything, it's that specific game modes will probably be dead once they're no longer the focus. Your best bet is probably to wait until Rockstar are running a weekly bonus on that mode... should that week ever come.

Alternatively, now that the entire player base sees the same daily challenges, you could hope that they include a Sport of Kings specific one. But I don't believe they've done anything that mode specific yet, so don't hold your breath on that one.
I thought it was literally a brand new mode though... a few days prior I was playing tomahawk w/e and that must be older, but was still populated (probably because it's a simple BR-style mode).

I'm just shocked that a mode that is seemingly only days-old was absolutely barren. Especially with a written article about how it was so much fun. I literally was the only one in the lobby for 15mins+ today and previous days. Baffling.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I thought it was literally a brand new mode though... a few days prior I was playing tomahawk w/e and that must be older, but was still populated (probably because it's a simple BR-style mode).

I'm just shocked that a mode that is seemingly only days-old was absolutely barren. Especially with a written article about how it was so much fun. I literally was the only one in the lobby for 15mins+ today and previous days. Baffling.
I think it's 3 weeks old, but they've introduced a new mode every week for the last 3 weeks.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I've not long started this game. I've set-up camp not far from Valentine and done a good amount of missions.

Although this game does have technical prowess it's a complete slog to play. Movement still feels like my character is drunk and aiming/shooting as atrocious, even with strong, narrow auto-aim. Why have they not improved baseline general character interaction?

If they wanted to make players feel like we are experiencing in-the-moment unfocused actions surely the mechanics in The last Of Us shows how it could be done much better.

I'm going to keep on it but damn this is far from enjoyable much of the time.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I've not long started this game. I've set-up camp not far from Valentine and done a good amount of missions.

Although this game does have technical prowess it's a complete slog to play. Movement still feels like my character is drunk and aiming/shooting as atrocious, even with strong, narrow auto-aim. Why have they not improved baseline general character interaction?

If they wanted to make players feel like we are experiencing in-the-moment unfocused actions surely the mechanics in The last Of Us shows how it could be done much better.

I'm going to keep on it but damn this is far from enjoyable much of the time.

Check youtube or elsewhere for some settings to change the controls, particularly for aiming. Helped me a lot.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017