• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Oh...nice. I did mess with the settings I thought would make a difference but I'll check Lewis's settinsg out when I boot up later and see what happens.

This could be fun!

It'll never be perfect but it helped a lot. It's a great game though and after a few hours I got used to it and now it doesn't bother me at all.

Honestly we've probably all played and gotten used to things far jankier and difficult than RDR2. We all just assumed a high profile, unanimously praised blockbuster would deliver better controls so it's easy to complain about but they're not THAT bad especially with some tweaks.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was literally a brand new mode though... a few days prior I was playing tomahawk w/e and that must be older, but was still populated (probably because it's a simple BR-style mode).

I'm just shocked that a mode that is seemingly only days-old was absolutely barren. Especially with a written article about how it was so much fun. I literally was the only one in the lobby for 15mins+ today and previous days. Baffling.

GTA Online design means virtually nobody plays any of the modes that aren't being promoted with gold, double XP, or what have you. Your description here describes 95% of the times I've tried to play any mode in GTA Online that wasn't the currently promoted mode.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It'll never be perfect but it helped a lot. It's a great game though and after a few hours I got used to it and now it doesn't bother me at all.

Honestly we've probably all played and gotten used to things far jankier and difficult than RDR2. We all just assumed a high profile, unanimously praised blockbuster would deliver better controls so it's easy to complain about but they're not THAT bad especially with some tweaks.
I disagree quite strongly on this point. I love RDR2, and have played a lot of RDO (I'm currently level 60), but even with the tweaks, the aiming controls are inexplicably bad. Even using Dead eye in single player mode feels bad, whereas it was probably my favourite element of the first game.

I say all of the above as someone who has absolutely no problems with the Witcher 3 controls, which are often pilloried here. The same with GTA V, where I thought the controls were actually fine despite all of the criticism they got here and at the old forums. But for me, RDR2 is one of the few games where I think the controls are irredeemably bad. The rest of the game is so good that it more than makes up for it, but for me the controls are what stop the game from being my favourite of this gen.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
GTA Online design means virtually nobody plays any of the modes that aren't being promoted with gold, double XP, or what have you. Your description here describes 95% of the times I've tried to play any mode in GTA Online that wasn't the currently promoted mode.
Yup grinding is more appealing than just picking a fun game mode for most people bc of it.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yup grinding is more appealing than just picking a fun game mode for most people bc of it.
This is very true and a clear byproduct of their online game design. That said, most of the new modes they add tend to be rubbish. They're often plagued by big balance issues, but rather than going back and tweaking/fixing them, Rockstar just vomit out another new game mode the next week...

One thing I will say is that I find the RDO mode called Head For The Hills to be a lot of fun. It's basically British Bulldog/Bullrush/Red Rover, but with everyone carrying guns :)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I disagree quite strongly on this point. I love RDR2, and have played a lot of RDO (I'm currently level 60), but even with the tweaks, the aiming controls are inexplicably bad. Even using Dead eye in single player mode feels bad, whereas it was probably my favourite element of the first game.

I say all of the above as someone who has absolutely no problems with the Witcher 3 controls, which are often pilloried here. The same with GTA V, where I thought the controls were actually fine despite all of the criticism they got here and at the old forums. But for me, RDR2 is one of the few games where I think the controls are irredeemably bad. The rest of the game is so good that it more than makes up for it, but for me the controls are what stop the game from being my favourite of this gen.

The aiming controls in third person are garbage, there is no way around it. Even a much lesser game like Days Gone is infinitely better while still feeling weighty and satisfying. If you haven tried yet give first person mode a shot, it fixes quite a few of the issues with the aiming.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed.

I've been reading GAF / Era complaints about Rockstar's controls for over a decade now, but I've never felt the same. RDR 2 feels fine to me, just like their other games (not as good as Max Payne 3 mind you, but not bad).

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
The controls are that bad. And it's a travesy that such a richly detailed open world is encumbered by them.

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's bad, and I say that as someone who has put hundreds of hours in the game and loves it. Trying to loot an item or body feels like luck.

First person does fix a lot of issues.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017

Your right, it's never going to be perfect but the OP settings have helped make it feel a little more responsive. Aiming is a little too sensitive now but I'll scale it down to suit as I go. It's certainly better to play than it was.

Von

May 9, 2019
Could any of you fine folks tell me what coat this is, please:

D9xvV4YWkAAHsBY

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I just started the epilogue and really wish the whole game was like this. I slogged through the entire story without giving two shits about Dutch and the gang, just hoping something would eventually pull me in, but one hour into the epilogue and I am totally invested in JM's family and their plight.

The Shenmue-style jobs around the farm, missions closer to home that don't involve obligatory 10-minute travel conversations...I think I'm enjoying myself.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I came to terms with how dysfunctional the looting mechanic was, and I'm okay with it because looting is entirely pointless in the game. I do think how dysfunctional it is reinforces how unimportant the 'prizes' are for looting... $0.29 in a game where you will never run out of money after just a few story missions; small amounts of medicine when they're rarely needed; more belt buckles or gems than you'll ever have need for.

It seems like looting is in the game because it can't *not* be in the game, for a wild west game, and it's appropriately meaningless/useless. After the first couple chapters I just realized looting is meaningless and stopped doing it, and it improved my happiness by 575%.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I just started the epilogue and really wish the whole game was like this. I slogged through the entire story without giving two shits about Dutch and the gang, just hoping something would eventually pull me in, but one hour into the epilogue and I am totally invested in JM's family and their plight.

The Shenmue-style jobs around the farm, missions closer to home that don't involve obligatory 10-minute travel conversations...I think I'm enjoying myself.

The epilogue was great and refreshing, but I think that's a minority opinion you have there on the main story. Arthur's story was extremely well done IMO.

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I'm about to start on Red Dead Redemption 2 for the first time. Is there anything that I should know (best settings, pro tips, hdr on or off, etc) that I should know before embarking on this journey?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I'm about to start on Red Dead Redemption 2 for the first time. Is there anything that I should know (best settings, pro tips, hdr on or off, etc) that I should know before embarking on this journey?

Use the aiming and control scheme listed in the OT. The default settings are wonky as hell.

Exploration, upgrading and criminal activity is best done during chapter two and three for a great many reasons, all of which are pretty massive spoilers. Get your wanderlust out of the way early.

Don't feel obligated to complete challenges, or upgrade everything. The game is easily completed without all of that. This also (especially) applies to the collectibles like dinosaur bones. If things feel like a grind, stop doing what you're doing.

If you think you want to shoot for the Legend of the East satchel, which increases carrying capacity of all items from 3-9 to 99 each, decide to get it early on. It requires a lot of hunting and, for story reasons, it will cause great narrative dissonance if Arthur suddenly disappears from camp for weeks at a stretch just to go hunting on a whim. Begin gathering the pelts needed during chapter 2. The remaining animals needed will be available in the area introduced by chapter 3. Which leads me to the next tip:

When exploring during chapter 2, focus on going north and west. Chapter 3 is great for exploring the south.

Don't go to Saint-Denis until the story introduces it. Leave yourself something to look forward to as well as making more sense from a plot perspective.

Your map is dynamic and updates throughout the game with notes and illustrations in Arthur's own hand. Keep an eye on this!

Buildings you can enter are not always labeled but instead are represented by black squares and rectangles on the map. These are worth exploring! Many of them contain useful upgrades which permanently increase your health, stamina or deadeye as well as unique one-off weapons, clothing items or opportunities to acquire guns before the story introduces them and without spending money in the store.

Speaking of which, don't stress about money. It will be tight in the early game but you'll soon have so much you'll easily be the best-dress, most heavily armed cowboy on the range and still have thousands in your pocket. Relish being poor in the beginning and make the most of your limited means.

Treat your horse like a friend. The best horses are impossible to get until fairly late in the game but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pick one early on and pamper it. Regular feeding, brushing and encouragement will make even the most average horse a capable steed and will see you through the game nicely.

Consider playing with the HUD switched off.

Consider playing in first person at least some of the time. It's a pretty amazing way to experience the gorgeous world and will often allow you to notice details you would otherwise miss. I settled for a loose rule where I'd switch to first person for interiors as this allows you to see your environment more clearly as well as mitigating some of the clumsy movement in tight spaces.

Lastly, buckle in. This game is a slow burner. Everything is meant to be taken at a snails pace. Don't be one of those people who sprints everywhere and then complains that you got in a fight for colliding with someone in the street. The default movement speed is a slow walk for a reason. Take your time. The game has an absurd amount to offer so don't rush it. It's an epic not a novella.

Hope you enjoy!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The challenges quickly devolve into bullshit territory and you can't even do some of them until post-game.

Just do some of them up until tier 3 to get an appearance item or two that you like and ignore the rest.

You lose all pelts on your horse when you die.

Don't use hard lock or soft lock on foot.

And yeah you unlock a lot of important items and activities by progressing through the main story, I think the sweet spot for messing around in the open world is act 3 just because you have a lot of tools at your disposal that aren't available at the start of chapter 2 but the story doesn't ramp up by then either so you don't feel like you're being rushed along to complete it.

All of the side missions are worth doing except for the collectible ones.

I personally made the minimap into a compass and enjoyed it a lot, if you ever need more direction you can just press on the dpad to bring up the minimap for a few seconds.

The item requests you get from people in the camp have zero affect on the story or cutscenes.

Spend most of your money at the start to upgrade the camp, it's a godsend.

Growing a beard past length 5 or 6 takes forever even with 3 hair tonics.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Don't go to Saint-Denis until the story introduces it. Leave yourself something to look forward to as well as making more sense from a plot perspective.
I agree with most of your advice, but I can't recommend this, especially as you've specifically said to linger in Chapters 2 and 3 (which I agree with). Saint Denis is too beautiful to ignore for so long. Also, some of the challenges specifically require venturing there, and it's best to wrap those up as early as you can. I wouldn't make a beeline directly for Saint Denis either, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid seeing it even once.

Incidentally, exploration will change dialogue in the game. If you've never been to part of the map and a character starts talking about it, they'll give you more information about it. If you've already been there, however, Arthur simply interjects "yeah, I know the place."

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, thank you REX_DX and Psychoward for the excellent write-ups! I really appreciate you both taking the time to do that.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, thank you REX_DX and Psychoward for the excellent write-ups! I really appreciate you both taking the time to do that.

Happy to help!

Atomic Playboy may be right about waiting to visit Saint-Denis. They're definitely right about some of the challenges taking you there. All I can say is that I waited to go there on my first playthrough and it was absolutely well worth it and a major highlight of my experience which I feel would have been diminished by going there early. And I can't say I'd recommend messing with the challenges on a first time through anyway. Still, to each there own.

Let us know how you're getting on as you play!

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Online has been a smidge more stable recently so I've been putting more time in. Getting booted off due to network errors is still the name of the game though. Hopefully this big update coming up will fix some of those problems.

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to help!

Atomic Playboy may be right about waiting to visit Saint-Denis. They're definitely right about some of the challenges taking you there. All I can say is that I waited to go there on my first playthrough and it was absolutely well worth it and a major highlight of my experience which I feel would have been diminished by going there early. And I can't say I'd recommend messing with the challenges on a first time through anyway. Still, to each there own.

Let us know how you're getting on as you play!

I'll definitely do that! By the way, you recommended that I use the aiming and control scheme found in the OT, which I plan to do. What,however, should I do with the auto aim setting? It seems people are divided between "it makes the game too easy" and "aiming is too damn hard without it."

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
But are you placed in a match with those of the same choice?
Nope. They can set it to whatever they like too.

What,however, should I do with the auto aim setting? It seems people are divided between "it makes the game too easy" and "aiming is too damn hard without it."
I think RDR2's free aim controls are the worst in any Rockstar game of the past two generations. I've played all of them from GTA IV onwards on free aim, but with RDR2 I found the free aim controls to be so bad (even with the tweaks) that I eventually switched to auto aim.

Even the Dead Eye controls feel bad.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll definitely do that! By the way, you recommended that I use the aiming and control scheme found in the OT, which I plan to do. What,however, should I do with the auto aim setting? It seems people are divided between "it makes the game too easy" and "aiming is too damn hard without it."

Easy. Try both! It a long game and you'll have time to experiment. The game isn't exactly challenging even with free aim.

I settled on the loose lock on option and enjoyed the game but I played the first couple chapters with free aim.

Free aim is not terrible if you tweak the settings as I mentioned.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Free aim is perfectly fine in RDR2 depending on your settings.
The day they are finally adding free aim only lobbies i'm going to try out the online portion of the game.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
the score is finally out.,

halleohua
Wait, the score is out too? I couldn't find it on Spotify.

EDIT: No, it's not :(

Today's press release for the release of the soundtrack also says that the score is coming later this Summer:
The Music Of Red Dead Redemption 2: Original Soundtrack is now available on all major digital music platforms, including Apple Music and Spotify.

Presented in collaboration with Lakeshore Records and produced by 11-time Grammy Award winner Daniel Lanois, The Music Of Red Dead Redemption 2: Original Soundtrack features music created exclusively for Red Dead Redemption 2 by a wide-range of award-winning artists including D'Angelo, Willie Nelson, Rhiannon Giddens and Josh Homme.

The Music of Red Dead Redemption 2: Original Score, the companion album composed by Woody Jackson, will also be available later this summer.

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the soundtrack just now. Excited to finally be able to listen to this outside of Youtube. First thing I noticed is additional verses and vocals for That's the Way it Is. (Makes sense given the way its used in the game, vocals stripped for the dialogue.)

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is the online worth getting into yet? I have been hesitant to play it because last time I played it was so barebones

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Is the online worth getting into yet? I have been hesitant to play it because last time I played it was so barebones

It's more substantive now than it was at launch but there's still a lot to be added. I think they have a fairly big update happening this month that's adding poker and character paths that you can choose to go down (explorer, bounty hunter, etc). It isn't and doubt it will ever be as nuts as GTA, but I enjoy it for that reason. I like the slower pace.

The biggest problem I have with it is connection issues. Get constantly booted off the server.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's more substantive now than it was at launch but there's still a lot to be added. I think they have a fairly big update happening this month that's adding poker and character paths that you can choose to go down (explorer, bounty hunter, etc). It isn't and doubt it will ever be as nuts as GTA, but I enjoy it for that reason. I like the slower pace.

The biggest problem I have with it is connection issues. Get constantly booted off the server.

I want to get into it but then I look at the prices of everything and feel like I have to grind to get everything and I don't think it's worth it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone had the issue where the installation constantly stops on Xbox? I've tried deleting games, hard restarting the console and even a different copy, but eventually just get constant installation stopped messages, changing the disc doesn't help either.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

Poker is already available! Spot on with your summary otherwise though, sums up my thoughts too.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Wait, the score is out too? I couldn't find it on Spotify.

EDIT: No, it's not :(

Today's press release for the release of the soundtrack also says that the score is coming later this Summer:

I thought they had the score out too on Amazon; turns out I was listening to the RDR1 soundtrack. Holds up real well.

-EDIT- I ended up listening to Mountain Hymn and immediately welled up with tears. This soundtrack is going to break me.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure if I saw someone walking around these days with a saddle bag over their shoulder I'd assume they had a bomb or something.

Is this actually a thing? I live in a city and see some pretty gross and weird shit on the subway and in bad neighborhoods but this would be a first for me.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm pretty sure if I saw someone walking around these days with a saddle bag over their shoulder I'd assume they had a bomb or something.

Is this actually a thing? I live in a city and see some pretty gross and weird shit on the subway and in bad neighborhoods but this would be a first for me.
I assumed it was a hipster thing. What better way to carry your gramophone and craft beers around than a horse saddle bag? :)

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't see that as John failing Arthur. If anything, that's indicative of Dutch failing John. Dutch was responsible for John in his formative years and he taught him that violence solves problems, and ultimately got him captured by the government. John goes on to escape prison and the gang and makes every effort to go straight to honor his commitment to Arthur (and Abigail and Jack, naturally). Even after he commits to live an honest life, the past that Dutch led him through comes back to haunt him when agents effectively kidnap his wife and son and ask him to use the violent skills Dutch taught him to kill boatloads of their perceived enemies. When he has exhausted his use to the crooked agents, it becomes clear that they were never going to let him live in the peace that Arthur wished for him. In spite of this, he did everything in his power to give Jack a life away from the violence he had known in his youth. And, depending on how you play RDR1, Jack only has one true moment of being an outlaw; a justified revenge killing against the man who illegally used his station to murder his law-abiding father. Jack's future beyond that is unknown. Let us dream of a world in which he headed west and turned his love of stories into being a pioneer of early cinema in Hollywood, where he was tragically killed after telling Mae West "work ya damn nag!"

As much as I want to envision Jack living the remainder of his life with both hands of the steering wheel, I honestly like that the rest of Jack's life (after revenging his father's death) remains largely elusive.

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego

I played it for the first time this weekend and I had fun. No connection issues or anything. I made a temporary posse and did some of the co-op missions. My only complaint is that sometimes the server seems dead as far as other people being around. I was trying to hijack a wagon from another posse but never saw one to hijack.

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game, but I don't fucking get how they still have these awful glitches at this point. The stranger that gives the Fundraiser quest vanished. I rode into Saint Denis to try to get some of the stranger missions there. Accidentally did that shit where I tackled someone instead of getting on my horse, got chased all over the city for my bounty of $2.50 and it seems to have made this stranger not appear anymore.