• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had a chance to test it yet myself but someone posted that holding R3 in while the fish is fighting will prevent it from pulling the line back out, if true then it will definitely help resolve my dislike if the fishing a bit lol.

Edit: meant to quote, this is in response to the part above.

I tried that but it seemed to keep breaking line for me. But I just research some clips on youtube. Where they didn't just pull down on the L stick and hold it, but up and down or spamming down on the L stick to continuously pull the fish in. Gonna try that and R3 a bit more.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Any good tips on landing big/legendary fish. Felt like it took me an hour to land the legendary gar the other night. The bigger fish pull out my line, don't feel like I'm reeling fast enough.

How do you prevent them from taking out your line without breaking the line? And can you reel faster? I pull down L and start reeling. It's painful on the hands after a while too.

Any tips?

When reeling them in , don't use your thumb but put your palm on the analogue stick, you reel much faster . Made a huge difference, because I was getting so much more distance reeled in, my lines never snapped again .

Last edited:

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
How much better is the Xbox One X version compared to the PS4 Pro version? I bought a discounted bundle with One X and RDR2 but my coworker has offered me like 50$ on top of what I paid to buy it. Wondering if it's worth it for the superior version of just this one game (I have a beast PC already for third party games in general) and basically Halo.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
A5iVaUz.gif

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How much better is the Xbox One X version compared to the PS4 Pro version? I bought a discounted bundle with One X and RDR2 but my coworker has offered me like 50$ on top of what I paid to buy it. Wondering if it's worth it for the superior version of just this one game (I have a beast PC already for third party games in general) and basically Halo.

Native 4K with slightly better frame rate versus a not so hot checkerboard solution on the Pro. It's probably one of the biggest disparities you'll see between the two platforms but I'm not sure one game really justifies the purchase. Look into the 4K backwards compatibility titles on the 1X to see if any of those games interest you as well.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly, pushed a bit into chapter 4 and there is still so much to see. Got my first legendary animal and got at least 4 new stranger missions. I also spent time at the fishing shop. And I love the interiors of some houses. And I just really like the camp mechanics. Everything feels so natural.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I force myself to do this stupid animal turn in mission but i'm forcing myself to try to hunt an Oriel and its torture.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just realised you have to open and read recipes to actually learn them and I'm about 100 hours in lol.

Also, I just got a perfect panther and took the whole carcass to the Trapper and it says I don't have any perfect Panther pelts - is that a glitch or should I have skinned it?

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
The sheer number of animations in this game is insane. Finally went to the Theater in St. Dennis and couldn't believe all the custom animations for each act. The fact that an entire cancan dance was mo-capped (with several dancers as each moved slightly differently) and then put in the game as a little side thing is absurd. Oh and original songs written for a thing i'd say 90% of people would ignore.

It's just too much.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So I just realised you have to open and read recipes to actually learn them and I'm about 100 hours in lol.

Also, I just got a perfect panther and took the whole carcass to the Trapper and it says I don't have any perfect Panther pelts - is that a glitch or should I have skinned it?
You should've skinned it. Some recipes at the campsite call for a whole carcass, but I think the Trapper recipes are exclusively pelts.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I did the Saddie mission where you catch a New York accountant and have the mission to go get the loan. How much more of the epilogue do I have left.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
If I pick up a gun (option to swap) does that mean I lose my own weapon which is dropped to the floor?

I've customised it and don't want to lose it - but also don't want to lose the chance to get this new gun which I don't own?

Thanks

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
If I pick up a gun (option to swap) does that mean I lose my own weapon which is dropped to the floor?

I've customised it and don't want to lose it - but also don't want to lose the chance to get this new gun which I don't own?

Thanks

The dropped gun will appear on your horse saddle.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question for you folks:

When I craft satchel upgrades with Pearson, does the increase in inventory space change from one type to another depending on what satch I equip, or is the storage space upgraded indefinitely no matter what? (With the satchel itself being purely cosmetic)

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Question about a (possible) glitch in the epilogue:

Has anyone else found that their outfit resets to whatever was equipped by the game whenever they reload a save? The game gave me a pretty casual outfit with range gloves but I changed out of it, went to Saint Denis to do a quest and had to reload a save but now I'm back in the casual outfit. I definitely made the save after changing the outfit too.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Question for you folks:

When I craft satchel upgrades with Pearson, does the increase in inventory space change from one type to another depending on what satch I equip, or is the storage space upgraded indefinitely no matter what? (With the satchel itself being purely cosmetic)

It's purely cosmetic and the effects are applied no matter what Satchel you decide to use. There is a description that says this in the Pearson Crafting menu, I think.

Question about a (possible) glitch in the epilogue:

Has anyone else found that their outfit resets to whatever was equipped by the game whenever they reload a save? The game gave me a pretty casual outfit with range gloves but I changed out of it, went to Saint Denis to do a quest and had to reload a save but now I'm back in the casual outfit. I definitely made the save after changing the outfit too.

Yeah, this happened to me all the time. Not only with Reloads, but also in Missions and Fast Travels.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
It's purely cosmetic and the effects are applied no matter what Satchel you decide to use. There is a description that says this in the Pearson Crafting menu, I think.

Yeah, this happened to me all the time. Not only with Reloads, but also in Missions and Fast Travels.

Ahh ok. Bit of a pain but no matter, thanks.

Oct 28, 2017
If I do the yellow missions will the white missions be missable? I really want to get the remaining story missions over with but I also don't want to be locked out of content.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
So are some of these missions time sensitive? I apparently missed the oil wagon mission. I was off doing other things, then get a message saying John wants to talk to me, then i go back to camp and he told me he did it already.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I think my favorite wanted moment was near the docks in Saint Denis. There was some guy carrying a load from the ship. I kept greeting him and it never got hostile. He eventually dropped the box and went running because I was disturbing the peace.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I killed a couple of bounty hunters to turn in their haul, and Arthur gets a $10 bounty when a witness that teleported in after I rode out of there (didn't see Arthur) somehow knew it was him. That's after reporting the crime to who knows who in the middle of nowhere, in a matter of seconds.

If you play high honor and just do normal things like exploration, fishing, hunting, missions, etc, this game is one of the best ever. If you stray a little off this path, all the systems show their warts and that immersion is lost.

LOL, I turned it in and got $13! 3 dollar profit! Events like this are so pointless to do, heh.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I just learned that quitting the game immediately after getting a Challenge done is a bad idea. Just booted the game back up and Gambler 8 is back and progress wasn't saved.

I spent over an hour getting this yesterday... FML...

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Whats the best thing to do with all the animal skins I have accumlated on the back of my horse? I also got a bear skin and its gone. Did someone steal it or can they fall off your horse?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Whats the best thing to do with all the animal skins I have accumlated on the back of my horse? I also got a bear skin and its gone. Did someone steal it or can they fall off your horse?
Sell the pelts to either Pearson or the Trapper, depending on what you want to craft.

Whenever your horse falls over, the pelts and carcasses will generally all be knocked off too.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If they're perfect 3 star pelts, donate them to Pearson at your camp so they can be used in crafting. If you've already got the upgrades from Pearson, sell them to the Trapper to be used in crafting. If they aren't perfect 3 star pelts, all you can do is sell them for cash. Larger skins can definitely fall off your horse if you have a tumble, such as crashing into a tree, and you'll lose everything if you die at any point, so it's preferable to turn them in immediately.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I just hit chapter 5 and it's uh, pretty wild.

You get to explore / do side stuff once the story ends, right...?

Nov 2, 2017
Spoilers for the final mission. I got a bug ....
when the fight between Arthur and Micah starts. You're apparently supposed to mash circle to get free, but nothing is happening. Just the two of them standing there struggling endlessly. Went for a couple minutes before I just stopped pushing anything, then Micah kills you. Tried resetting the checkpoint, and restarting the mission, still the same problem. Anyone know anything about this?

Really sucked the life out of the climax of the game.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Post main quest/epilogue spoilers:

I'm not the only one seeing the HUGE similarity between John and Dutch, right? John with the level 7 hair, pomade-slicked back and a mustache is basically a young Dutch. Could easily pass for his son.

A bit miffed we can't have John's actual hair from the game though, even if it disabled growth it would still be nice to have it as an option.

I can't stop laughing

Oh shit she actually killed him. Wow. Never thought NPCs would react like that.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Welp, I just learned that quitting the game immediately after getting a Challenge done is a bad idea. Just booted the game back up and Gambler 8 is back and progress wasn't saved.

I spent over an hour getting this yesterday... FML...

Oof, that sucks, sorry. Which one is 8 again? I'm trying to get the one where you have to win 3 games of dominoes without drawing from the table. Seems tough.

The pelts can fall off if your horse falls down. I just sell all of mine to a butcher.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Spoilers for the final mission. I got a bug ....
when the fight between Arthur and Micah starts. You're apparently supposed to mash circle to get free, but nothing is happening. Just the two of them standing there struggling endlessly. Went for a couple minutes before I just stopped pushing anything, then Micah kills you. Tried resetting the checkpoint, and restarting the mission, still the same problem. Anyone know anything about this?

Really sucked the life out of the climax of the game.

Did you change the controls so you hold the button rather than tap? I didn't experience any bugs there, but I did it before the patch.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finish the entire game, including epilogue.

Wow. One of my favorite games this gen. Roller coaster ride but always engaging at all times. Loved it when it was slow, loved it when things got intense.

Credits rolling now. It's easily top 3 this gen imo.

Also, watching the credits makes it even more apparent a fucking million ppl worked on this game

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Every single time I go over to a plume of smoke the dude calls me out, I defuse and try to go back to my horse and they just straight up start shooting. I've had enough, so I hogtied him and threw him in a river.... then it happened again exact same scenario so I threw a hatchet into his face.

It fucking sucks that every time you just defend yourself you get bad honour and lawmen after you.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that sucks, sorry. Which one is 8 again? I'm trying to get the one where you have to win 3 games of dominoes without drawing from the table. Seems tough.

The Blackjack one where you have to win with 5 cards minimum. Took me an other ~90 minutes after my post. Was also just able to complete the 3 Dominoes wins in a row one, but only because I used the Exit "trick". For some reason you keep your streak, if you exit the game, so I did this every time I was close to losing. Now onto the final one which is winning 3 hands of Poker in a row. Probably gonna use the same trick, if it's even possible.

These last 3 Gambling Challenges are actually pretty insane. lol

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
The Blackjack one where you have to win with 5 cards minimum. Took me an other ~90 minutes after my post. Was also just able to complete the 3 Dominoes wins in a row one, but only because I used the Exit "trick". For some reason you keep your streak, if you exit the game, so I did this every time I was close to losing. Now onto the final one which is winning 3 hands of Poker in a row. Probably gonna use the same trick, if it's even possible.

These last 3 Gambling Challenges are actually pretty insane. lol
Poker is one of my favorite mini games. I had a ton of fun going for the bust a player at each location challenge. I took it even further and made my own challenge where not only did I have to bust someone out at each location, I had to win the table at each location. Got tough in Saint Denis, it was the only place where I had to buy back in.

I don't know what I'm doing in dominoes though so I'm just winging it. Might actually look into how to play. Five Finger Filet is also tough for me past the first few players. When it gets to the crazy bit I get overwhelmed. Hope there isn't too many of those to do.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I got a back issue of Official Xbox magazine for the cool 2 sided poster inside. Makes me wish I had a subscription because that magazine is amazing. I really miss game magazines like this.

The poster has John on the one side and Sadie on the other.

I like this picture of John because it is historically impossible. The Levis Type III trucker vest he is wearing did not exist until the 60s... Also the belt fed machine gun belt he is wearing did not exist until 1910 at the earliest. The Maxim gun belt looked a bit different. This belt is either a Browning or from an MG42.

Pics: