• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2018
Does anyone know where I can find weapons early?
And I don't mean the "special weapons" either. When the game opens up during chapter 2 to explore, there are certain locations where you can get guns early (prior to story missions and locked weapons at the gunsmith).

For example, you can find the Lancaster Repeater in the basement of the Rhodes gunsmith, the Schofield revolver in the back of the Valentine doctor's office, and the semi-auto shotgun in the basement of an old lady's home (forgot the location).

Are these the only areas weapons are available early during exploration?

Proxy

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, somehow I ended up wearing the Ghost Bison outfit (which I have not crafted yet) after completing a mission.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know where I can find weapons early?
And I don't mean the "special weapons" either. When the game opens up during chapter 2 to explore, there are certain locations where you can get guns early (prior to story missions and locked weapons at the gunsmith).

For example, you can find the Lancaster Repeater in the basement of the Rhodes gunsmith, the Schofield revolver in the back of the Valentine doctor's office, and the semi-auto shotgun in the basement of an old lady's home (forgot the location).

Are these the only areas weapons are available early during exploration?

There is a rare shotgun in a hermit's shack near Annesburg. You have to kill him to get it though.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Going through the Perks and Equipment Compendium lists and I've found about a couple things that I'm missing:
  • Owl Feather Trinket from Rain Falls. You can get it by replaying the mission and doing what he wants, but appareantly the effects of the trinket (15% less drain rate on all cores) are not applied, if you acquire it by replaying the mission.
  • The Farm, Field, and Falconry Perk from the Saint Denis Mayor. Appareantly you should receive this after doing the 2nd mission for him, but I never got this one. The effects of the Perks are also unknown, it seems.
  • Jawbone Knife. Never received this, but I successfully completed the Dinosaur Bones quest.
  • The Ancient Arrow Head is also nowhere to be found, despite me picking it up, after I completed the Dreamcatcher quest.
  • The entry for the Off Hand Holster disappeared for some reason?
I don't think these are important for anything, although some of them have some nice effects and I would love to have them for the sake of completion.

Poker is one of my favorite mini games. I had a ton of fun going for the bust a player at each location challenge. I took it even further and made my own challenge where not only did I have to bust someone out at each location, I had to win the table at each location. Got tough in Saint Denis, it was the only place where I had to buy back in.

I don't know what I'm doing in dominoes though so I'm just winging it. Might actually look into how to play. Five Finger Filet is also tough for me past the first few players. When it gets to the crazy bit I get overwhelmed. Hope there isn't too many of those to do.

Yeah, Poker is always fun to me. The trick that I mentioned doesn't work in Poker, though, so I went ahead and got my challenge done with 30-40 cent bluffs. Was very lucky, because I saw people spending hours on this challenge, too.

When it comes to Dominoes... it has like 3 different modes in this game and it's probably the most tactical one (Three's was the easiest for me). I'm pretty sure that Dominoes is partly borken, too, because sometimes it won't let you place Dominoes onto branches, when it actually should let you do that. I also had an instance of where it totally bugged out and the Dominoes remained in the middle of the table, instead of them being drawn and placed onto the stand that is in front of you. lol

The other Gambling Challenges are fairly easy and only 8, 9 and 10 are crazy due to relying too much on RNG. Gambling is probably the hardest challenge for that very reason. Other Challenges just require you to do simple tasks, collecting things or are time sensitive. I should be done with all of them by tomorrow, now that I have completed the Gambling one.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
I like this picture of John because it is historically impossible. The Levis Type III trucker vest he is wearing did not exist until the 60s... Also the belt fed machine gun belt he is wearing did not exist until 1910 at the earliest. The Maxim gun belt looked a bit different. This belt is either a Browning or from an MG42.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the vest he wore in RDR1, so at least Rockstar is consistent in their inaccuracy

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Made a 5 hour session yesterday but still in chapter 4. Damn side missions always distract me.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, that's the vest he wore in RDR1, so at least Rockstar is consistent in their inaccuracy
It is, although in the game the model has different shaped pocket flaps (that are rectangular) and has brass fasteners. Also the sleeves had been cut off longer.

latest

Also, in the RDR2 the jacket is made from indigo dyed denim. In RDR the jacket is made from black denim.

RDR2 John

Information about Levis' jackets and history: https://www.heddels.com/2013/03/levis-denim-trucker-jacket-review-type-i-ii-and-iii/

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure you can hear Kieran being tortured in the background. Sucks you can't do anything about it. :( This audio sounds like him, and there are more screams, but maybe this is just supposed to be a generic one?

Oct 28, 2017
Got a glitch with a side mission in chapter 4, which I'll spoiler for the diligent.
It's the artist one in Saint Denis. He invited me to his exhibition. I went there and walked around but nothing triggered, and the guests were floating in the air! I even tried to attack them but they were invincible. I loaded my previous save and now the symbol for his mission doesn't even appear. Guess I won't be able to finish his storyline?

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm finally done with the game now. Hunting down specific animals just isn't fun given how randomly some of them spawn in locations the guide says they should be. So that rules out 100%-ing the game as I've spent hours just searching for a fucking opossum so heaven knows how long it would take to even find the other critters for the hunting challenge. They have been far too stingy in that regard.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I've just recently started the game and until now I completely avoided the OTs, so this most likely has been mentioned before.

Are some rewards not working right in this game? I've delivered a stage coach and it said "worth 300, Arthurs share 75" but I got the full 300... and just now I delivered a bounty worth 100 and I got 4,23.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Treasure hunting was surprisingly fun, like everything, mainly due to the exploration and immersion. I was shocked I could find almost everything on my own of the three hunts I did, minus the poisonous trail map 2, as I never explored that landmark. I still have a torn map 1, and I may just look up where to find the other part.
4,500 dollars worth of gold bars is kinda crazy. Anyone positive they carry over to the epilogues if I don't sell them?

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Been waiting all day to post that I finally beat all the challenges. I'm so happy to finally have all them done.

Screenshot-20181202-144239-Gallery.jpg

Thanks a lot to everyone who makes this site work! 2.0 looks outstanding. <3

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm finally done with the game now. Hunting down specific animals just isn't fun given how randomly some of them spawn in locations the guide says they should be. So that rules out 100%-ing the game as I've spent hours just searching for a fucking opossum so heaven knows how long it would take to even find the other critters for the hunting challenge. They have been far too stingy in that regard.

The in game compendium is far too vague in that respect. The in game map too, I'm pretty sure Arthur makes a note of an animal on the map in the first place you spot it but not necessarily where they spawn most often which is quite misleading, not sure on that though it's most likely predetermined.

If you change your mind I do know that opossums are pretty common along the river North of Rhodes, where Javier takes you fishing (something-Creek IIRC). I also remember getting virtually every kind of small animal (skunk, raccoon, squirrel etc.) all spawning South of Riggs station, around the abandoned army camp.

Been waiting all day to post that I finally beat all the challenges. I'm so happy to finally have all them done.

Thanks a lot to everyone who makes this site work! 2.0 looks outstanding. <3

Honestly just can't bring myself to do those gambling challenges. It's really disheartening because I'm at level 8-9 with everything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
My buddy had mentioned that he got a raccoon hat by getting in a fight with someone in Valentine.

Well, I finally ran into said person last night, and what in the world... I must have punched them nearly 30 times before they fell. Is it because they were drunk?

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
The in game compendium is far too vague in that respect. The in game map too, I'm pretty sure Arthur makes a note of an animal on the map in the first place you spot it but not necessarily where they spawn most often which is quite misleading, not sure on that though it's most likely predetermined.

If you change your mind I do know that opossums are pretty common along the river North of Rhodes, where Javier takes you fishing (something-Creek IIRC). I also remember getting virtually every kind of small animal (skunk, raccoon, squirrel etc.) all spawning South of Riggs station, around the abandoned army camp.

Honestly just can't bring myself to do those gambling challenges. It's really disheartening because I'm at level 8-9 with everything else.
They took about 6 hours total. I can try to help you through them if you want.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the tip. I might give it a go, though I am reading that completing that quest alone takes 20 hours. Is that how long it took you?

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
They took about 6 hours total. I can try to help you through them if you want.

If there's anything specific I can do to do the gambling challenges I'd certainly appreciate it but I'm under the impression it's just perseverance. I'm at level 4 or 5 now, 3 wins of dominoes in a row without drawing a tile. Wasn't there an outfit in RDR1 that let you cheat at the gambling games?

Thanks for the tip. I might give it a go, though I am reading that completing that quest alone takes 20 hours. Is that how long it took you?

If it's for the quest where you have to mail them off (something something World, I think it's called) I just ended up grabbing most of the animals between other things. Make sure you craft the legendary buck antler trinket, which gives you a chance at higher quality parts from animals. This is particularly useful for small animals that Arthur picks up instead of skinning (small birds, squirrels, rats = most of the animals on her list) because they nearly always change to perfect carcasses when you store them. I think it increases the star rating by 1, so a 'good' carcass on kill becomes a 'perfect' on storage. Also be sure to get the legendary pronghorn trinket too, which will prevent carcasses from rotting when they're stored on your horse. Lets you get the bigger animals whenever you see them instead of having to leave them until last and stressing about them rotting.

Hard to put a time on it for me, like I said I got the quest pretty early on and just did it as I was milling about and doing other things.

Oct 25, 2017
Epilogue question.

do I ever get my money back from earlier? Had thousands on Arthur... Just seems random that only some items transfered to John.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I was in a town planning on doing a Sadie mission and I decided to fight a guy in first person. Halfway through the fight Sadie grabs the guys shoulder and knocks him out in one punch and trash talks him.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Oldest_Snake I did all the dominos challenges at Emerald Ranch. I watched a couple YouTube tutorials on how to play draw dominos that were not specific to RDR2. They weren't too bad. You're right... it just takes a little patience.

For the one domino challenge you only have to win the round and not the game. So it only takes a couple tries. Do that one against only one player and always try to leave yourself at least 2 moves on each end. This way no matter what, you won't have to draw anything.

Challenge 9 where you have to win 3 games in a row took a while. But I figured out that if you play against 2 other players you have the potential to score a lot more because you get bonus points of the amount your opponents have left. It is possible to win a game in 3 to 4 rounds. If you lose more than one round, just back out if the game and it does not count as a loss. Also if you have a lot of the same numbers, play those ones. Because it will make your opponent have to pick up more dominos.

The toughest 2 challenges were busting players out of poker, and the one where you have to hit 3x and beat the dealer at Blackjack.

For the poker, be sure to fold when you have a shit hand and play conservatively. If you have anything over a pair, like 2 pair or a flush- go 'all in'. Chances are you will win.

The Blackjack one is basically not worrying about whether you were going to go over 21 and just keep hitting. If you hit ever single hand the probability of you getting it is much greater than if you just play normally.

The last one was surprisingly easy. I went to Flatneck and played normally until I won one hand. Then on the next round I had a shit hand, so I kept calling until the 'Turn' came up then aggressively bet. 2 players folded and then the one guy 'saw' my raise. But I had a pair so I won... On the third win, I just went 'all in' after getting dealt my hand and he folded.

On the 5 finger fillet ones, one beat one guy per town. That way you only have to remember 2 buttons. And I held the controller with both hands over the buttons, one thumb on each button going as fast as I can. Those ones were really easy.

Last edited:

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Oldest_Snake I did all the dominos challenges at Emerald Ranch. I watched a couple YouTube tutorials on how to play draw dominos that were not specific to RDR2. They weren't too bad. You're right... it just takes a little patience.

For the one domino challenge you only have to win the round and not the game. So it only takes a couple tries. Do that one against only one player and always try to leave yourself at least 2 moves on each end. This way no matter what, you won't have to draw anything.

Challenge 9 where you have to win 3 games in a row took a while. But I figured out that if you play against 2 other players you have the potential to score a lot more because you get bonus points of the amount your opponents have left. It is possible to win a game in 3 to 4 rounds. If you lose more than one round, just back out if the game and it does not count as a loss. Also if you have a lot of the same numbers, play those ones. Because it will make your opponent have to pick up more dominos.

The toughest 2 challenges were busting players out of poker, and the one where you have to hit 3x and beat the dealer at Blackjack.

For the poker, be sure to fold when you have a shit hand and play conservatively. If you have anything over a pair, like 2 pair or a flush- go 'all in'. Chances are you will win.

The Blackjack one is basically not worrying about whether you were going to go over 21 and just keep hitting. If you hit ever single hand the probability of you getting it is much greater than if you just play normally.

The last one was surprisingly easy. I went to Flatneck and played normally until I won one hand. Then on the next round I had a shit hand, so I kept calling until the 'Turn' came up then aggressively bet. 2 players folded and then the one guy 'saw' my raise. But I had a pair so I won... On the third win, I just went 'all in' after getting dealt my hand and he folded.

On the 5 finger fillet ones, one beat one guy per town. That way you only have to remember 2 buttons. And I held the controller with both hands over the buttons, one thumb on each button going as fast as I can. Those ones were really easy.

Reading these makes it sound pretty doable, might give it another shot then. Thank you.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game yesterday and I have to say that most of it felt like a god damn slog. Everything was so slow for no reason. Riding around was so tiresome. And there was so, so much talking talking talking. And that epilog was probably the most pointless, most boring thing I played for a good while. Holy shit.

Yeah I know what you say now: "But it's about the characters and the story". Guess what, I didn't care much about the characters and story. IMHO it wasn't very good or interesting. And even if it was, there is something called "pacing" and this felt like Uncharted 4 multiplicated by ten. In a sense where you have great moments in between lots and lots of boredom. Remember when people complained about "slow-walking-and-talking-moments" in games last-gen? Ha, good times!

But yeah, there were some pretty great missions and set-pieces. I especially loved the whole chapter 5 stuff and everything that lead to it. And the production values are through the roof like in most Rockstar games. Some impressive stuff here, especially the landscapes. Some views were breathtaking.

But I am so tired of games that take forever to get to the good stuff. Every fucking game has to be 50+ hours nowadays just for the sake of it.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finished the game yesterday and I have to say that most of it felt like a god damn slog. Everything was so slow for no reason. Riding around was so tiresome. And there was so, so much talking talking talking. And that epilog was probably the most pointless, most boring thing I played for a good while. Holy shit.

Yeah I know what you say now: "But it's about the characters and the story". Guess what, I didn't care much about the characters and story. IMHO it wasn't very good or interesting. And even if it was, there is something called "pacing" and this felt like Uncharted 4 multiplicated by ten. In a sense where you have great moments in between lots and lots of boredom. Remember when people complained about "slow-walking-and-talking-moments" in games last-gen? Ha, good times!

But yeah, there were some pretty great missions and set-pieces. I especially loved the whole chapter 5 stuff and everything that lead to it. And the production values are through the roof like in most Rockstar games. Some impressive stuff here, especially the landscapes. Some views were breathtaking.

But I am so tired of games that take forever to get to the good stuff. Every fucking game has to be 50+ hours nowadays just for the sake of it.
It's as they say: No accounting for taste.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
The thing I like about being wanted DoA is I can shoot anyone without caring. Not that I did before.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda weird how the unique revolvers/pistols you get are weaker than normal versions. I wish this game had a little more loot going for it, and a more comprehensive mod system, but even equipping the correct guns would still be nice. No rush or anything, Rockstar, I'm only deep into a second playthrough. :P

I had a ton of money, so I blew $4,000 on clothes and still didn't buy all color variations.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Camped in the northeastern part of the map and had a really unpleasant surprise.
Hunted the legendary moose and got out of there as quick as possible. This game can be creepy.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Camped in the northeastern part of the map and had a really unpleasant surprise.
Hunted the legendary moose and got out of there as quick as possible. This game can be creepy.
Yeah those Murfree brood dudes are fucked up. Haha

It's a lot like the movie Deliverance if you've never seen it.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
The camps of theirs are like raiders in Fallout, only more disgusting. You do not want to get captured by those freaks, but throwing dynamite at them feels like justice.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Is there a trapper more on the left side of the map? I want to get some legendary animals and don't want to have to keep riding across the entire map. The only two I'm aware of are the first one after the early chapter 2 mission and the one in Saint Denis.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ALRIGHT PEOPLE YA BOI FINALLY PICKED UP THIS GAME AS PREDESTINED AND GONNA TAKE IT FOR A RIDE THIS WEEKEND

giphy.gif

So now I'm looking for some tips before I start, especially as someone who's played the first game for an embarrassing length of time. I mean, I've seen the gameplay videos but I was wondering if there any things that would be worth keeping an eye on as I go.

P.S. Is there an option for a legacy control scheme by any chance? Not that it's a dealbreaker of course.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a trapper more on the left side of the map? I want to get some legendary animals and don't want to have to keep riding across the entire map. The only two I'm aware of are the first one after the early chapter 2 mission and the one in Saint Denis.

There's usually one in the in the forest west of Strawberry. Right near the edge of the map, north of the large lake.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
ALRIGHT PEOPLE YA BOI FINALLY PICKED UP THIS GAME AS PREDESTINED AND GONNA TAKE IT FOR A RIDE THIS WEEKEND

giphy.gif

So now I'm looking for some tips before I start, especially as someone who's played the first game for an embarrassing length of time. I mean, I've seen the gameplay videos but I was wondering if there any things that would be worth keeping an eye on as I go.

P.S. Is there an option for a legacy control scheme by any chance? Not that it's a dealbreaker of course.
As soon as you can, go get the deer antler trinket and kill every animal that moves... of you step on something while riding your horse go pick it up.

If you see a symbol shaped like a gun on the map it is probably a rare and missable weapon in the game.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Did one of the latest RDR2 patches mess up performance on the X? I can't tell because I got a new 144hz monitor, but now the game feels stuttery.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
I may have bought the "reasonably" priced (lol) Gunslinger jacket that Rockstar and Barking Irons released... I'd like the railroad shirt asswell but yeesh!
images

"It's alright boaaahhh..."

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Did one of the latest RDR2 patches mess up performance on the X? I can't tell because I got a new 144hz monitor, but now the game feels stuttery.
Is it stuttering all the time or in ceratin areas only? It seems like they did something to it because it doesn't feel as smooth. But it could be because I saw people complaining about it and hadn't noticed it before.

There is a good performance discussion here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...x-1080p-fake-hdr-analysis.78182/post-14432211