• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Is it stuttering all the time or in ceratin areas only? It seems like they did something to it because it doesn't feel as smooth. But it could be because I saw people complaining about it and hadn't noticed it before.

There is a good performance discussion here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...x-1080p-fake-hdr-analysis.78182/post-14432211
I think it's just sometimes. Maybe in mostly foggy areas. I haven't played ton, but I didn't know if the monitor being 144hz would effect anything.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's just sometimes. Maybe in mostly foggy areas. I haven't played ton, but I didn't know if the monitor being 144hz would effect anything.
If you can maybe try playing a game that you know runs at a consistent framerate and see how you make out. You might need to change a setting on the monitor or something. I have a gsync LG and I know you can change display settings by pressing in the button on the bottom. I have never tried connecting an XB1to it though.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
If you can maybe try playing a game that you know runs at a consistent framerate and see how you make out. You might need to change a setting on the monitor or something. I have a gsync LG and I know you can change display settings by pressing in the button on the bottom. I have never tried connecting an XB1to it though.
I also have a gsync monitor. And I'll give another 30fps game a go later but black ops feels fine.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Maybe this will help? I'm genuinely interested in this as well, why I looked it up.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-120hz

Edit: also I linked the wrong topic; real one is here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/red-dead-redemption-2-df-analysis-read-op.76899/
Can't use the variable framerate option without freesync. I'm firing up the newest tomb raider now to see how it feels. BTW when I said black ops feels fine that was on the PS4 pro. But halo mcc also feels fine.

Edit: tomb raider feels as smooth as 30fps should
catvonpee

So it must be red dead

Last edited:

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I took time out early Chapter 2 to get all the satchel upgrades, because only carrying five of everything was really irritating, and I thought if I ever wanted to replay RDR2, having a save early on with all the upgrades would be worth it. So glad I did. I had some memorable adventures along the way, plus many equally memorable cougar/panther instakill deaths! Finding some of the smaller animals ended up being the most painful part of the experience.

I'm pretty smitten with RDDR2, but it is irritating how unforgiving some of the mission design can be. Oh, you took a second too long checking your weapon loadout instead of following Charles? FAILED. (The next time I failed because my poor horse, on auto to keep pace with Charles, tripped over a rock. The horse hadn't even gotten up properly and the mission had already failed.)

Oct 26, 2017
Epilogue 2 Question that isn't spoilerish

Are bounty hunts in infinite supply throughout the map? If not, is it worth getting them all. I ran two cities dry of bounties but now one has popped up at Saint Denie. Just wanted to know if I'm doing this for anything other than the money

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
So, if I've finished the epilogue and haven't gotten the 'finish all honor missions' trophy, does that mean I've somehow missed one at some point in the game?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I think I'm finally done with the game now. Hunting down specific animals just isn't fun given how randomly some of them spawn in locations the guide says they should be. So that rules out 100%-ing the game as I've spent hours just searching for a fucking opossum so heaven knows how long it would take to even find the other critters for the hunting challenge. They have been far too stingy in that regard.
This is another reason why I wish you could do all Challenges simultaneously and not just in a specific order in one of nine different loosely-related groups. Took me forever to catch a third Bluegill, though it was offset by the next challenge being hand in 5 animals and I had a satchel full of fish. Then kill animals with the varmint rifle, which I probably have a few hundred critter kills with, but no, go get five more right now... Never mind that I won't be at the "find a possum playing possum" challenge for a long bit and I've already done it at least 4 times.

The second hunting request/contest(?) really amped up the difficulty. A squirrel and rabbit were easy pickings, but I don't know if I've ever even seen a cardinal, I just scanned my first rat somehow despite having hundreds of entries in the compendium, and I still haven't found a woodpecker. Seeing the list of animals required at level 5 is like "those aren't even rare, what the fuck." Like they built the challenge backwards.

The timing in five finger fillet is throwing me off. I can crank up to a pretty good clip, but I always overrun the animations by just a hair and fuck myself. Fortunately I don't have to do much of it.... I hope.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Epilogue 2 Question that isn't spoilerish

Are bounty hunts in infinite supply throughout the map? If not, is it worth getting them all. I ran two cities dry of bounties but now one has popped up at Saint Denie. Just wanted to know if I'm doing this for anything other than the money
I could be wrong, but I don't think they're infinite. They're basically like sidequests, with the same bounties appearing for everyone and taking place in a specific way. So that suggests that they'll eventually be exhausted; I don't know how many there are total.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit into chapter 4 now, and I don't think I've ever seen a better told story in any video game (and it comes close to Best told story in any media).

I can't give enough praise to the actor portraying Arthur. He does such an amazing job in every single scene. It's crazy how good of a performance rockstar got out of him and all of the other characters in this game.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Was wondering what happened to a certain character after people started talking that he was missing
Kieran
Well I got to the part where I found out.
Jesus what a way to go. Cutting off his head and sending his body holding it into camp. I think they cut out his eyes too

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
i've started my second play through and this time i'm on my own time. i looted every single body in chapter one and by the time i got to my camp for the first time at horseshoe overlook, i had $350

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Man, chapter is 5 is really heavy.

The game has become incredibly sad (in a good way, since I actually care about the characters). Can already tell chapter 6 is gonna be rough.

Even the side missions have a melancholy feeling to them that's different than in previous chapters. It's handled really beautifully in spots.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
So any tips on taming that white arabian horse?

I have literally spent a entire hour chasing that thing around, the calming system only works 30% of the time and the three times i have managed to mount it it has bucked me despite me following the instructions, should i use the lasso or what the fuck am i missing here?

Edit : Finally got the fucker, wow i will not be doing any horse taming ever again, if that thing dies i will reload my save.

I just want to go on record and say that I absolutely think the game looked better before that damn update that added the online beta. (PS4 Pro with a LG C8 OLED)

Has that been the general consensus?

I have not noticed anything at all, what in particular looks worse to you?

Last edited:

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to go on record and say that I absolutely think the game looked better before that damn update that added the online beta. (PS4 Pro with a LG C8 OLED)

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Stop manually saving. It should only ask you one time after you load a manual save.

No way. Who would ever stop manually saving?

What are you talking about? the game looks just the same. I can't imagine why you would think the look would change with the online added

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finally created legend of the East satchel. All that hunting was incredibly fun, just need 1 ox pelt now to fully upgrade the camp. Still on chapter 3, don't know where the camp goes next but really love this location near Rhodes.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
So, if I've finished the epilogue and haven't gotten the 'finish all honor missions' trophy, does that mean I've somehow missed one at some point in the game?

Unfortunately I believe so. Pretty sure the last honour mission is in Chapter 6 so that was your last chance.

Forces myself to push through some gambling challenges last night, 1/3 for blackjack wins with 3 hits or more. Can you quit/load between wins during the 3 domino games in a row or does it have to be done one after the other, some of the hunting challenges- like 9(?) consecutive small animals kills reset if you saved then loaded at say 5/9.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting all day to post that I finally beat all the challenges. I'm so happy to finally have all them done.

How did you did you do Survivalist 7 - 8 consecutive Small Arrow kills? I'm finding these guides that say Frogs would be the easiest, but I just used Dead Eye on a Frog that was resting and it still missed... lol

On Xbox One, you could replay the mission
"Home Improvement for Beginners"
and it would unlock. I'm not sure if it was patched, but maybe give it a try.

Last edited:

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
How did you did you do Survivalist 7 - 8 consecutive Small Arrow kills? I'm finding these guides that say Frogs would be the easiest, but I just used Dead Eye on a Frog that was resting and it still missed... lol

On Xbox One, you could replay the mission
"Home Improvement for Beginners"
and it would unlock. I'm not sure if it was patched, but maybe give it a try.
If you go to Valentine near the horse auction there are chickens you can kill them. Then I went to Emerald Ranch and killed a few there. Make a save beforehand because the small game arrows don't alway get a clean kill. Be sure to do it fast while wearing your bandana because you will definitely become wanted.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
If you go to Valentine near the horse auction there are chickens you can kill them. Then I went to Emerald Ranch and killed a few there. Make a save beforehand because the small game arrows don't alway get a clean kill. Be sure to do it fast while wearing your bandana because you will definitely become wanted.

I'll definitely try that. Thank you.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
So

It's hit the fan, just got to Chapter IV. Had an epic shoot-out in Rhodes with the Grays, and went to the Braithwates afterwards for another shoot-out. Felt sorry for Catherine Braithwate in a way, but then she did have it coming after taking Jack (but that was our fault for dealing between the Grays and Braithwates, as it was explained being the fault of some camp members. Went back to the Braithwate house afterwards to find the charred remains of Catherine inside.

I'm starting to see rifts in the camp between people, mostly down to decisions being made which are apparantly for the "better". Because we moved to just South of Rhodes now, the boat i paid for when north of Rhodes remains, so if i want to fish i gotta go to the old camp site to get fishing.

And i swear one member of the KKK is immortal. 2 revolver shots in the head, and they kept getting up. Took literally throwing a fire bottle at them to finish them off.

My version of Arthur now rocks the longest hair you can get, but a beard with a 2 in length.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017

I managed to do it down in the muddy area around the abandoned shack where you find (side quest spoiler)
Black Belle.
If you go into the shack there's usually a few rats inside and beneath it, as well as muskrats down by the edges of the pools of water. Remember that you can also kill birds for that one as well, and make sure you're pulling back the arrow all the way and not just tapping R2/RT. But yeah, I had a few dead-eye misses from near point black, very irritating. Be sure to save before firing off any arrows so you can reload if you lose your streak.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to do it down in the muddy area around the abandoned shack where you find (side quest spoiler)
Black Belle.
If you go into the shack there's usually a few rats inside and beneath it, as well as muskrats down by the edges of the pools of water. Remember that you can also kill birds for that one as well, and make sure you're pulling back the arrow all the way and not just tapping R2/RT. But yeah, I had a few dead-eye misses from near point black, very irritating. Be sure to save before firing off any arrows so you can reload if you lose your streak.

I followed catvonpee 's advice and completed it. Thanks to both of you. Appreciate the help. :)

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, I really did try to complete the gambling challenges but I just can't get through this 3 in a row domino challenge. I actually wound up getting 2 Blackjack wins with 3 or more hits in a row, so that was pretty painless but 40+ mins down and still 0/3 on domino game wins. I wouldn't mind so much if the animations for shuffling etc. all didn't take so long either but I just feel like I'm making the game more tedious than I want to it be right at the end of the story.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Ugh, I really did try to complete the gambling challenges but I just can't get through this 3 in a row domino challenge. I actually wound up getting 2 Blackjack wins with 3 or more hits in a row, so that was pretty painless but 40+ mins down and still 0/3 on domino game wins. I wouldn't mind so much if the animations for shuffling etc. all didn't take so long either but I just feel like I'm making the game more tedious than I want to it be right at the end of the story.
I seem to recall seeing that if you abort/quit dominoes it doesn't count as a loss, so if you're about to lose a game, just quit. Then you can play again and it shouldn't reset your consecutive win counter. Could be wrong about that though.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA

Hm, does the glitch work on the PS4?

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The gambling challenge is the only one that I've completed so far. Protip: if you are about to lose a match of Domino, just quit it. You don't lose your streak.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
just hit chapter 5 & reached the point where I'm in control - any ballpark on about how much i have left? digging this but i have to move soon, wondering if i can tie it up first

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
My wife really likes the fishing in this (she's not big into videogames generally), so last night I helped set her up to fish for the Legendary Sockeye. She was having a hell of a time with the line snapping after a few minutes of effort. And then we found a way to totally cheese it; you cast as short as possible. The fish, regardless of where it is, will make a beeline for your lure, and you only need to crank the reel for about a second after hooking it to get it out of the water, even if it's struggling. Is it like that with all the Legendary fish? Because that seems silly.

Had another funny moment with that same fish, actually. My wife had guided it towards an ice floe, and it ends up jumping onto the ice and stopping. I tell her to cut line and go chase it, and it starts slowly sliding across the ice. We're watching Arthur's animation of slowly folding his pole up screaming "no, just drop it, you can get it in a minute!" We get control of Arthur again, I start sprinting over to this ice floe just to hit the water at the same time as the fish, which immediately gives me the slip. That's a hardy damn fish.

There's some real big fish up in Lake Isabella. After we landed the Sockeye, my wife went back and caught a 19 lb Muskie, but there was no room on the horse so we had to cook it immediately. What a shame it's so far from any sort of fast travel point. It's such a beautiful serene area (when you aren't getting chased by wolves or grizzlies anyway).

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Please Please Please tell me this gambler 8 challenge is possible. I've been at if for 2 days now and can't get a single win. Hell, I can't even get 3 hits most of the time. I'm getting big cards all the damn time and can't hit on shit.

Is there a specific place to play? I've been playing in Van Horn and I'm going crazy.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Welp... I just had a Legendary Fish disappear on me, so that means that the "A Fisher of Fish" Mission is not completeable anymore and it also means that I can't get 100% anymore. Sucks, because I am at 96% with over 177 hours played. Kinda stupid that Legendary Animals appear at the Trapper, but Legendary Fish are just gone forever, unless I'm missing something here?

Hoping for a fix, but what are the chances for it? Submitting a ticket/feedback either way and I'm hoping for the best.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Welp... I just had a Legendary Fish disappear on me, so that means that the "A Fisher of Fish" Mission is not completeable anymore and it also means that I can't get 100% anymore. Sucks, because I am at 96% with over 177 hours played. Kinda stupid that Legendary Animals appear at the Trapper, but Legendary Fish are just gone forever, unless I'm missing something here?

Hoping for a fix, but what are the chances for it? Submitting a ticket/feedback either way and I'm hoping for the best.
No old save you can load up? Might be worth it to re play a few hours if you want the 100%.