• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Welp... I just had a Legendary Fish disappear on me, so that means that the "A Fisher of Fish" Mission is not completeable anymore and it also means that I can't get 100% anymore. Sucks, because I am at 96% with over 177 hours played. Kinda stupid that Legendary Animals appear at the Trapper, but Legendary Fish are just gone forever, unless I'm missing something here?

Hoping for a fix, but what are the chances for it? Submitting a ticket/feedback either way and I'm hoping for the best.
What fish? What location?

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Please Please Please tell me this gambler 8 challenge is possible. I've been at if for 2 days now and can't get a single win. Hell, I can't even get 3 hits most of the time. I'm getting big cards all the damn time and can't hit on shit.

Is there a specific place to play? I've been playing in Van Horn and I'm going crazy.
It is. Don't worry about winning and just keep hitting. You will get it eventually. Just keep hitting until you get 5 cards there... as long as you are around 18 or 19, odds are you'll beat the dealer.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
It is. Don't worry about winning and just keep hitting. You will get it eventually. Just keep hitting until you get 5 cards there... as long as you are around 18 or 19, odds are you'll beat the dealer.
I sure hope so man. I've been at it forever it seems and I've had the chance to hit 3 times about 5 times. Out of those 5 times I've had the chance to win twice but ended up pushing. Meanwhile I've gotten blackjack about 7 times and won more hands than I've lost. Yet can't seem to get a small hand to hit on, at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Welp... I just had a Legendary Fish disappear on me, so that means that the "A Fisher of Fish" Mission is not completeable anymore and it also means that I can't get 100% anymore. Sucks, because I am at 96% with over 177 hours played. Kinda stupid that Legendary Animals appear at the Trapper, but Legendary Fish are just gone forever, unless I'm missing something here?

Hoping for a fix, but what are the chances for it? Submitting a ticket/feedback either way and I'm hoping for the best.
Where did it disappear? Off your horse? I think they'll respawn in the wild in that case after a few days.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished chapter 2 but spent so much time doing literally everything else in the world. A lot of friends and such finished the game first week and want to talk about it, and to be honest I want to get through the story now.

So am I okay to blast through the story and just do all the side-stuff like legendary animals/gunslingers/dino bones etc. etc. after the story? There's no downside to finishing the story right?

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
So I just finished chapter 2 but spent so much time doing literally everything else in the world. A lot of friends and such finished the game first week and want to talk about it, and to be honest I want to get through the story now.

So am I okay to blast through the story and just do all the side-stuff like legendary animals/gunslingers/dino bones etc. etc. after the story? There's no downside to finishing the story right?
I think the white question mark Stranger and Honor missions are missable. Also, you might want to do bounties so you can make money. Or the treasure hunts you can make a good deal of money.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

There's no downside, but the rewards that Legendary Animals get you are really useful during the main campaign and less so in the endgame (they basically increase your health, stamina and dead eye stats along with giving boosts to XP gains), and they're much easier to hunt than ordinary animals as you can shoot them a thousand times and never ruin the pelt. I would highly recommend doing them before mainlining the story. The gunslingers you don't need to do, but they unlock some neat weapons early on, so they aren't a bad idea. The dino bones you can't complete until the endgame anyway so don't waste your time. Treasure hunting is an excellent source of money early on, but not crucial. They are entertaining to solve without looking up the answer, and every one of them feels possible by just exploring the world, so I do recommend them.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
At which point do you unlock the ability to craft explosive arrows? Charles has started making some fire arrows after I gave him some Moonshine but I already had that skill. Just need to craft the explosive ones to complete one of the survivalist Challenges.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
At which point do you unlock the ability to craft explosive arrows? Charles has started making some fire arrows after I gave him some Moonshine but I already had that skill. Just need to craft the explosive ones to complete one of the survivalist Challenges.
I could be mistaken, but I think you can buy the recipe from a few a fence, and then should be able to craft them. On the crafting screen, there's a button to switch between showing only the recipes that you currently have the ingredients for, or just every single recipe. If the Dynamite Arrows have a padlock icon, then you don't own the recipe.

Note that you have to actually open the recipe after buying it too.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to Chapter 3, going to dig into some challenges now.

Going to try and get them all.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you are exploring and mopping up challenges after completing the story
when John starts having flashbacks to things Arthur told him, it can be creepy as all hell if you are in the middle of nowhere or at night. I even had the camp-fire song start playing at one stage while hunting.
Totally unnerving.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I was walking along in a town and heard some people arguing, I didn't know exactly what was going on but by the time I arrived a guy shot a woman in front of her husband and I got the shooter while he was running away. The game then penalized me with negative rep because apparently I was supposed to be wild west Batman and instantly take the bad guy down.

Oct 27, 2017
Um. Did I just get drugged and presumably raped by some chuckling hillbilly just north west of Saint Denis? The guy is sat on the porch of his tatty green house and is suspiciously friendly when I rock up (everyone else tells me to go away), invites me in so, well aware it's probably a trap I go in, shotgun at the ready, but get clonked on the head and treated to a weird cut scene with this creepy guy stroking me and then lots of grunting and shuffling noises and I wake up, nothing stolen, about half a mile away with all my cores drained.

I went straight back and killed him "Not you again!" says the guy as I blow him away with the pump action. I couldn't dismember him though. Wonder why that was.

Also, finally realised I need small game arrows for perfect snake hide and now finally have a nifty hat with a snake head on it. It needed a perfect sheep hide too, I got that from the Valentine stock yards at night and just sucked up the night in jail on an animal cruelty charge.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
When you are exploring and mopping up challenges after completing the story
when John starts having flashbacks to things Arthur told him, it can be creepy as all hell if you are in the middle of nowhere or at night. I even had the camp-fire song start playing at one stage while hunting.
Totally unnerving.

I was wondering how those were triggered. I thought it was just a little treat for going back to their first camp outside of Valentine because I get nothing at the second, plus the Brood have moved back into the fourth meaning no exploration and John never went to the third. Interesting that it's a regular occurrence.

I was walking along in a town and heard some people arguing, I didn't know exactly what was going on but by the time I arrived a guy shot a woman in front of her husband and I got the shooter while he was running away. The game then penalized me with negative rep because apparently I was supposed to be wild west Batman and instantly take the bad guy down.

Yeah the game's not great with the window of time on stuff like this. I found a family in the woods being terrorised by some gang members when I was standing on a cliff, visuals almost completely obscured by trees. Realised I'd never get down in time so I had to deadeye them from afar, ended up killing the struggling wife and only one of the bandits because I couldn't tell who was who... whoops :|

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Game broke on me today, which was a bummer. I've played through the game in its entirety and I'm on my second playthrough, focusing more on wrapping up challenges, hunting/fishing, crafting, and stranger missions I missed in my initial playthrough. I'm pretty early in Chapter 3 and I still hadn't wrapped up the initial weapons challenge of killing 3 people with a knife. Well, there's a particular faction near Rhodes I knew were shitty, so I knifed one of them, got wanted for murder, escaped and made it back to my camp just as the investigation ended, but apparently that triggered a glitch, because after that I wasn't allowed to use any coach anywhere, even after paying my bounty, because "you can't do this while you are wanted." I tried a bunch of things to fix it, including getting wanted again, and just wound up with a $300+ bounty. Ended up loading a prior save and losing out on a couple hours of progress. Kind of annoying that.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
what the fuck am i supposed to be doing in chapter 5

i should've gone to see dutch but instead i got caught in a trap & tortured for a bit, helped some dudes out and now i'm wanted all over this dumb island. i literally can't get to dutch now, there's guards everywhere and all i'm doing is dying and losing money i can't spend here anyway

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I just got to the mission where
Sean gets killed and stupid Micah keeps dying. They should have made NPCs invincible.

Edit: Nevermind I got it. He was just standing outside of the gun store like a dumbass and getting shot.

Last edited:

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
what the fuck am i supposed to be doing in chapter 5

i should've gone to see dutch but instead i got caught in a trap & tortured for a bit, helped some dudes out and now i'm wanted all over this dumb island. i literally can't get to dutch now, there's guards everywhere and all i'm doing is dying and losing money i can't spend here anyway

You have to get to Dutch on the side of the island that your camp is on. Just head upstream of the river that runs near camp when you respawn and you'll see the path up to Dutch.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Just finished Chapter 3.
Shit gets fucking real at the end. Sean gets his brains blown out and Jack get kidnapped? Hopefully there's not as much side stuff from now on because there's much more urgency in the main story now.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So I got every single Cigarette card by using the RDR2 interactive map site. But I think something glitched when I tried to mail the last set back because when I check the log it says I've completed every set except Fauna, and in my inventory I only have seven of the fauna cards, despite my compendium saying I have 144 of 144.

Super frustrating, because now I guess I'm just gonna have to hunt Premium Cigarette packs and hope for fauna cards?

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
So I got every single Cigarette card by using the RDR2 interactive map site. But I think something glitched when I tried to mail the last set back because when I check the log it says I've completed every set except Fauna, and in my inventory I only have seven of the fauna cards, despite my compendium saying I have 144 of 144.

Super frustrating, because now I guess I'm just gonna have to hunt Premium Cigarette packs and hope for fauna cards?

I'd at least try going back for those cards you're missing first. Maybe you reloaded a save after collecting them and just forgot about it? Woudln't explain why they're in the compendium though so IDK.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
No old save you can load up? Might be worth it to re play a few hours if you want the 100%.

I should have probably done that. :/

What fish? What location?

The Sockeye Salmon at Lake Isabella. Placed it on my horse, went for an other fish that I needed for my Compendium, turned arround and the Salmon was not on my horse anymore.

Where did it disappear? Off your horse? I think they'll respawn in the wild in that case after a few days.

They can respawn? That would be fantastic. I assume you mean just forwarding the time in-game and not IRL days, right? Will definitely have to try this later.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've just done the first part of Chapter 5, and I know people have been mixed on the chapter, but I've really enjoyed it so far.

I've just
got back to the new camp near Lagras, and shot all the Pinkertons with the Gatling gun turret.

The island was really fun, and a sort of action packed, linear break was a good way to keep the pacing up, as chapter 4 seemed to be dragging a little bit, even though nothing much really happened as such. It felt like Mexico from the first game, but not a boring, if brief, slog.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Got a question, what does that rich motivational book do? I reject it it because it looks like a fake mlm stuff. Will i miss something?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I've just done the first part of Chapter 5, and I know people have been mixed on the chapter, but I've really enjoyed it so far.

I've just
got back to the new camp near Lagras, and shot all the Pinkertons with the Gatling gun turret.

The island was really fun, and a sort of action packed, linear break was a good way to keep the pacing up, as chapter 4 seemed to be dragging a little bit, even though nothing much really happened as such. It felt like Mexico from the first game, but not a boring, if brief, slog.
I assume they intended it to be a palette cleanser, and I was excited for it after that intro, but then it doesn't really go anywhere. I know it's already a very long game, but I could easily have done with a much bigger and more fleshed out chapter 5.

Got a question, what does that rich motivational book do? I reject it it because it looks like a fake mlm stuff. Will i miss something?
Nothing.
Nope.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Just killed a racist eugenic man. He told arthur he is a fool and ran away, so i chased him and beat that shitty person down

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Still loving this game so much. The presentation, storytelling, voice work, is completely unparalleled in my opinion - maybe ONLY by The Last of Us.

I'm a few missions into Chapter 4 and I really don't want it to end. Arthur and the gang are such a complex group of characters that it's so hard not to root for them. The end of Chapter 3 was so rad and I really enjoyed the first few missions of Chapter 4 as well.

I'm only like 43% through the story (or so my progress says) which is INSANE to me because the urgency is really ramping up and it seems like I'm approaching the end game. Glad there is a lot left to do and see.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I put all of my horse crashes into one video. I think it's pretty funny, but some might call it horse abuse.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway

Just buy them at any store.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
catvonpee Just ticked off Gambling Challenge 10 :D Got sooooo lucky on that last one. I went to Valentine and there was only 1 guy at the poker table and he immediately folds on all 3 hands. Fucking A! Thanks for the advice on the other challenges.

Beyond store discounts and the way people react to you does honour factor into the epilogue story at all like it did the main story. I wouldn't think so but I've got a few Bandit Challenges too and I don't want to tank my story.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you change your mind I do know that opossums are pretty common along the river North of Rhodes, where Javier takes you fishing (something-Creek IIRC). I also remember getting virtually every kind of small animal (skunk, raccoon, squirrel etc.) all spawning South of Riggs station, around the abandoned army camp.

Went to where you said and *boom* found one straight away. Reignited my enthusiasm to go for 100% so thanks.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Without giving it away, does Gavin actually exist? Can I find Gavin? Will I find Gavin? I feel like I need to stop what I'm doing and look for Gavin. Should I?

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw a buck nudging a dying buck, trying to make it get up, and ran away when I got close. 100 hours in at this stage and still seeing new things.

Oct 30, 2017
I gave this another go on the X after dropping it at launch on the Pro.

It's so much better and funnier when you play it as total prick. See that witness over there? A bullet will take care of that.

That said, the bounty system is fucking garbage. Bounties all over the place. I think in chapter three I'll always wear the bandana and only take it off when I have to.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Got all the Legendary Fish and the quest for it done. I'm so glad that you can re-catch them, if they bug out on you.

The hunt for 100% continues (97.2% now)!