• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So if I missed one of the loyalty missions, can I still 100% the game? I don't see that as a stat requirement anywhere.
I don't know about 100% but you can't get the platinum trophy. I would imagine the 2 are tied together but I'm not 100% (sorry).

If you're worried about it, try reloading an old save if you can to do the mission.

I'm pretty sure they all have to be done in a single playthrough so you'll have to replay the entire game if you want to get the 100%.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I don't know about 100% but you can't get the platinum trophy. I would imagine the 2 are tied together but I'm not 100% (sorry).

If you're worried about it, try reloading an old save if you can to do the mission.

I'm pretty sure they all have to be done in a single playthrough so you'll have to replay the entire game if you want to get the 100%.

I'm an idiot for only retaining one save. God...I don't know how I missed any.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
What actually classes as a loyalty mission?
I don't know if I've done them or not, and I've just got to Chapter 6.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
What actually classes as a loyalty mission?
I don't know if I've done them or not, and I've just got to Chapter 6.
I think they count as story missions even though they are missable, so you can check on Social Club to see if you've missed any. I only just got to chapter 4, but I think the big missable one is at the beginning of chapter 6. You need to be at least honor level 4 for it to be available, I believe.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm an idiot for only retaining one save. God...I don't know how I missed any.
Sorry fam, I know that sucks. Now you'll have a reason to replay the game before the next one comes out.

And try to break that one save habit, it will always bite you in the ass given the chance. I have every single save file used at the moment so I'm constantly saving over older, throw away saves.

You must be in the late game to be noticing it, if not maybe consult a guide and see if it's salvageable. I pretty sure the only missable honor mission is in CH. 6 and it's dependent on having pretty high honor.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I think they count as story missions even though they are missable, so you can check on Social Club to see if you've missed any. I only just got to chapter 4, but I think the big missable one is at the beginning of chapter 6. You need to be at least honor level 4 for it to be available, I believe.
Ah, OK, I'll have to keep my eye out. My honor is fairly high, like, it's almost at max.

How early in chapter 6 are you talking?
I've currently done:
The hot air balloon and John rescue with Sadie, Edith's two sidemissions (helping her son at the mine, and bringing her back to Annesburg), and my next available mission is called Just a Social Call for Micah, although I've not played that yet.

Should I have seen it yet?

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Sorry fam, I know that sucks. Now you'll have a reason to replay the game before the next one comes out.

And try to break that one save habit, it will always bite you in the ass given the chance. I have every single save file used at the moment so I'm constantly saving over older, throw away saves.

You must be in the late game to be noticing it, if not maybe consult a guide and see if it's salvageable. I pretty sure the only missable honor mission is in CH. 6 and it's dependent on having pretty high honor.

Ha, thanks for the info. Yeah, I've finished the story so I'm just screwed I guess. But I guess I will replay the game at some point.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Ah, OK, I'll have to keep my eye out. My honor is fairly high, like, it's almost at max.

How early in chapter 6 are you talking?
I've currently done:
The hot air balloon and John rescue with Sadie, Edith's two sidemissions (helping her son at the mine, and bringing her back to Annesburg), and my next available mission is called Just a Social Call for Micah, although I've not played that yet.

Should I have seen it yet?
The mission is called
Do Not Seek Absolution I/II

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I've just done the first part of Chapter 5, and I know people have been mixed on the chapter, but I've really enjoyed it so far.

I've just
got back to the new camp near Lagras, and shot all the Pinkertons with the Gatling gun turret.

The island was really fun, and a sort of action packed, linear break was a good way to keep the pacing up, as chapter 4 seemed to be dragging a little bit, even though nothing much really happened as such. It felt like Mexico from the first game, but not a boring, if brief, slog.
I also loved chapter 5.

From that point on, the story has been really intense (and sad). After you return there's a true sense of doom hovering over everything.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Right, I've done those.
I'm still missing a mission from Chapter 2, and one from Chapter 4 apparently according to Social Club. No idea what they would've been though.
Based on my experience having played through Chapter 2 twice now, the missable mission is the first bounty at the sheriffs in Valentine. I didn't do it on my first playthrough and it shows as a blank; I did it on the second and it shows in the Chapter lists as opposed to any other bounty quests which do not. Not sure about Chapter 4; I haven't reached that on my second playthrough yet.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Right, I've done those.
I'm still missing a mission from Chapter 2, and one from Chapter 4 apparently according to Social Club. No idea what they would've been though.
Based on my experience having played through Chapter 2 twice now, the missable mission is the first bounty at the sheriffs in Valentine. I didn't do it on my first playthrough and it shows as a blank; I did it on the second and it shows in the Chapter lists as opposed to any other bounty quests which do not. Not sure about Chapter 4; I haven't reached that on my second playthrough yet.
Yeah I think that bounty mission is missable. I just got to Chapter 4 so I'm not sure about the missable mission there. I heard about the one in Chapter 6 so I just looked to see what the name of the mission was so I make sure to do it ASAP when I get there. I don't know any story details or anything ahead of where I am now.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
any chance you could tell me how to find this info? I'm on social club now and can't find the info on honor missions.

thanks.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
any chance you could tell me how to find this info? I'm on social club now and can't find the info on honor missions.

thanks.
I think the one in chapter 6 is the only one where you need a certain honor level for it to be available. If you are missing a story mission on a chapter you've completed, then you most likely missed an honor mission.
This Reddit post is spoiler-free besides mission names. I'm just scrolling though very quickly to find the missions in bold.
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadred.../spolierfree_mission_list_including_missable/

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Was heading to Strawberry and had one of those random white dots appear, went to see what it was an accidently pressed R2 rather than R1 to stop my horse. There were 2 KKK members erecting a cross and a 3rd directing them. My gunshot startled them and the cross crushed the two guys to death while the 3rd ran away. Fuck I laughed.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
The patch has a few issues I've noticed. First person movement randomly breaks (won't move at a jog), and I need to save and reload to get it to work. On the visual side of things, the lighting is doing strange things to hair, sometimes making it a bright white, while characters skin sometimes look like they are coated in crude oil. Never noticed any of that previously.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
catvonpee Just ticked off Gambling Challenge 10 :D Got sooooo lucky on that last one. I went to Valentine and there was only 1 guy at the poker table and he immediately folds on all 3 hands. Fucking A! Thanks for the advice on the other challenges.

Beyond store discounts and the way people react to you does honour factor into the epilogue story at all like it did the main story. I wouldn't think so but I've got a few Bandit Challenges too and I don't want to tank my story.
Way to go! Nice work! :) I love this game so I am really happy to be a member here and get to talk about the game.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Got all the Legendary Fish and the quest for it done. I'm so glad that you can re-catch them, if they bug out on you.

The hunt for 100% continues (97.2% now)!
Way to go dude! I was thinking you were talking about the catfish
that cannot be caught last night when I read this. I spent like an hour catching fish until I realized I had been catfished.

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
If you lose a round of dominoes, does that break your streak for the "three in a row" challenge?

If you have a streak, lose a round (but not a game), then quit, does it prevent you from retaining your streak?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how much you are enjoying the game and how much time you have, the cigarette cards you find in the world are usually adjacent to something cool. Might be a weapon or treasure map, or a location you haven't seen yet.
Check out my original post to learn about this particular predicament :)

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
several hours into my second play through and i'm just now finding out if you melee someone with the bow equipped.. arthur stabs them in the neck with an arrow

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Went to where you said and *boom* found one straight away. Reignited my enthusiasm to go for 100% so thanks.

👍 Good to hear. I remember getting through most of the hunting challenges (and that side-mission you're on) with relative ease to if you run into any other issues ask away.

Well, now I know how John Marston looks like with a shave...kinda handsome tbh

He's surprisingly attractive in the epilogue, which is weird because he ain't much of a looker beforehand. Can't not see him as a young Dutch when you grow out his mustache though, it's uncanny. Especially the nose.

If you lose a round of dominoes, does that break your streak for the "three in a row" challenge?

If you have a streak, lose a round (but not a game), then quit, does it prevent you from retaining your streak?

The streak is for 3 games, so you can lose a round and not lose your streak. Quitting between games will also preserve your streak so it's a good way to back out of a losing game. I've only just finished that one but I have a couple of extra tips in addition to catvonpee 's tips here.

1. Play all fives in Saint Denis.
2. Make sure you're playing against 2 other players, not 3. I felt the games move too fast with 3 others and this gives you a bit more wiggle room when there are dominoes to draw from. Saving near the table and reloading will respawn players at the table so just do that until there are 2 opponents. Don't do this once you're started your streak because I'm 99% sure it will reset if you save/reload, even if you save on a 2/3.
3. You want to win the first round with at least 40 points, anything less than that and you're at a disadvantage in the second and less likely to win. If you're dragging behind after round 1 I say quit and start over. This isn't exactly the best domino playing tactic, just about speeding up the games (because it's tedious as all hell!).
4. Try to focus on getting 'domino' by dealing all dominos, if you start having to pick them up (2 or more) call it a lost game and quit. Again, not a good tactic for the game but it just keeps you moving between games you can do well in and games that are neck and neck (and stressful!) Not so important in the first round if you've managed to get a bunch of points already.
5. Quit the game if your opponents get above 70 points, even if you're at 65. It's not worth losing.
6. If you're struggling remember you can select a domino and press left/right to see all possible moves you can make. Sometimes I'd miss some pretty obvious moves that would net me points.
7. Try not to pull your hair out being forced to watch the slow ass animations every.single.time. you start a new game! You might want to put on some music and turn the TV down when you do this because listening to your opponents say the same lines over and over is also irritating, not to mention them insulting you when you quit mid game.
8. If you haven't done it it's worth getting up to level 5 (?) in the bandit challenges beforehand because that's to get a $250 bounty in a single state and you are going to want to burn that city to the ground once you're done, so it's pretty cathartic to do it right after this gambling challenge.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Epilogue made the rest of the game irrelevant for me. Like it all felt like a giant waste of time and completely unnecessary.

Also I can't help but notice how shallow all of the systems are in the game. Previews touted the game as being incredibly deep, but after a hundred hours with it, the veneer falls away and shows that most of this stuff is just fluff.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

You can quit at any time to retain your streak. Losing Rounds won't end your Streak, but it absolutely can, if you have a couple Dominoes left and they happen to add up, so that the enemy wins the game.

I played Three's and always quit when my enemy got past 65 points or if I had to draw several Dominoes.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
👍 Good to hear. I remember getting through most of the hunting challenges (and that side-mission you're on) with relative ease to if you run into any other issues ask away.

He's surprisingly attractive in the epilogue, which is weird because he ain't much of a looker beforehand. Can't not see him as a young Dutch when you grow out his mustache though, it's uncanny. Especially the nose.

The streak is for 3 games, so you can lose a round and not lose your streak. Quitting between games will also preserve your streak so it's a good way to back out of a losing game. I've only just finished that one but I have a couple of extra tips in addition to catvonpee 's tips here.

1. Play all fives in Saint Denis.
2. Make sure you're playing against 2 other players, not 3. I felt the games move too fast with 3 others and this gives you a bit more wiggle room when there are dominoes to draw from. Saving near the table and reloading will respawn players at the table so just do that until there are 2 opponents. Don't do this once you're started your streak because I'm 99% sure it will reset if you save/reload, even if you save on a 2/3.
3. You want to win the first round with at least 40 points, anything less than that and you're at a disadvantage in the second and less likely to win. If you're dragging behind after round 1 I say quit and start over. This isn't exactly the best domino playing tactic, just about speeding up the games (because it's tedious as all hell!).
4. Try to focus on getting 'domino' by dealing all dominos, if you start having to pick them up (2 or more) call it a lost game and quit. Again, not a good tactic for the game but it just keeps you moving between games you can do well in and games that are neck and neck (and stressful!) Not so important in the first round if you've managed to get a bunch of points already.
5. Quit the game if your opponents get above 70 points, even if you're at 65. It's not worth losing.
6. If you're struggling remember you can select a domino and press left/right to see all possible moves you can make. Sometimes I'd miss some pretty obvious moves that would net me points.
7. Try not to pull your hair out being forced to watch the slow ass animations every.single.time. you start a new game! You might want to put on some music and turn the TV down when you do this because listening to your opponents say the same lines over and over is also irritating, not to mention them insulting you when you quit mid game.
8. If you haven't done it it's worth getting up to level 5 (?) in the bandit challenges beforehand because that's to get a $250 bounty in a single state and you are going to want to burn that city to the ground once you're done, so it's pretty cathartic to do it right after this gambling challenge.
You can quit at any time to retain your streak. Losing Rounds won't end your Streak, but it absolutely can, if you have a couple Dominoes left and they happen to add up, so that the enemy wins the game.

I played Three's and always quit when my enemy got past 65 points or if I had to draw several Dominoes.

Thanks for the tips—I managed to beat that challenge. I'm unsure since i didn't save the footage, but i'm pretty sure I won a game, then lost the streak when I quit right after losing round 1 of a new game that couldn't have been near the score limit. I would recommend that people test that out before get too far with it. That took too long ...

The final challenge was a cakewalk compared to 9, and I immediately won three hands in a row. I wish you could skip to your turn in dominoes like you can in poker.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Credits are rolling while I type this. Finished at 73 hours with 84% completion. What a ride. One of the best games I've played.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
A certain someone busted into my Valentine hotel room to fight, so I choked him to death, and there was a witness someplace downstairs that didn't actually see anything, and the sheriff just walks in seconds later. Snuck out the side and didn't get a bounty, surprisingly. :)

I can't get this thread to show in my watched list after the update.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Very late game spoilers

I just did Arthur's last mission and felt sad. You know he's dying but after spending so much time with him it still kind of hits. Love the moment when he's riding back to camp with the music playing as it reminded me of RDR when you ride back to your family. Also, fuck Micah. I hope I can kill him in the epilogue.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Probably has been discussed but I'm kinda LTTP, so so hate me for not reading trough hundreds of pages.

I started the game last week and for the first few hours in Chapter 2 I didn't do many missions but roamed the west/northwest part of the map instead.
The performance on my PS4 Pro was a little all over the place. Mostly fine, but a lot of frame drops in busier areas and a lot of "micro stuttering", don't know how else to call it. It often just didn't feel clean.

Now I have played
the train mission with John and the boys
and since I started the mission everything seems much smoother. I can't explain this.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 is so good. Holy shit.

The ending to a certain string of missions that started way back in chapter 2 is so damn satisfying. Was not expecting it either.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Chapter 6 is so good. Holy shit.

The ending to a certain string of missions that started way back in chapter 2 is so damn satisfying. Was not expecting it either.
It would have been cool and the game would have been like full-blown Fallout New Vegas if
you could have been more merciful in collecting the debts or chose just to forgive them all. The whole time I remember feeling that I would not have even bothered except for with the guy that tries to stab you. It would have been awesome if Arthur could have just ran away with his old girlfriend instead of getting sick.

I really enjoyed how well the side quests were integrated into the main story though. Sure there are some fetch quests. But I liked how most of the side quests had something very random and interesting to do.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been cool and the game would have been like full-blown Fallout New Vegas if
you could have been more merciful in collecting the debts or chose just to forgive them all. The whole time I remember feeling that I would not have even bothered except for with the guy that tries to stab you. It would have been awesome if Arthur could have just ran away with his old girlfriend instead of getting sick.

I really enjoyed how well the side quests were integrated into the main story though. Sure there are some fetch quests. But I liked how most of the side quests had something very random and interesting to do.
Agreed, I wanted to play Arthur as a good guy, so I felt bad about the debt colletcing from the jump, but I did like Arthur's arc with those.

Being able to straight up forgive the last two debts and even give back money to the miner's wife in the last one felt great. And then telling Strauss off and kicking him out was the perfect capper.