• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
For hunting, do the perfect carcasses matter or just the pelts? Is there any difference between a 1 and 3 star carcass?
You need perfect pelts to make stuff. But if you mean for the hunting requests you don't skin the animals. You either stow them in your satchel or you stow them on your horse. Although if you have the buck antler trinket sometimes a 2 star animal can go from 'good' to 'perfect' when you pick it up.

This doesn't happen every time. But it does happen. Like if you're trying to get a perfect bird just shoot the whole flock and at least one of them will be perfect. Also shoot all kinds of small animals because chances are you'll need a particular animal later.

Also, I used the varmint rifle for practically everything except the toad and frog. I used small game arrows for those.

Last edited:

Nimrod

Nov 3, 2017
Quick question on the epilogue:

Should I do some exploring on my own or will the story take me to Armadillo etc.? Feels out of character to go and run around. (I'm at the Ranch now, recently saved Uncle from being cooked)

Oct 27, 2017
Beat this last night, and I can't stop thinking about it. It's a towering achievement, and the memories of my time in its world will stay with me for a very, very long time.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Quick question on the epilogue:

Should I do some exploring on my own or will the story take me to Armadillo etc.? Feels out of character to go and run around. (I'm at the Ranch now, recently saved Uncle from being cooked)
The story only takes you as far west as Pike's Basin. But if you go exploring on your own, be warned that things in that area only get explained through radiant events, so if you skip through them, you might miss out on some basic information about what's happening in those parts of the world. I raced through all of New Austin for pure nostalgia's sake and I ended up missing out on what was up with Armadillo. You might be better served by waiting until the epilogues conclude, not that I would ever recommend not exploring.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
1. Came up to this random house with red dots in it. Didn't know why they were red, and after the glorious fire bottle, might never know :P

I feel like the game introduces these types of encounters and tells you that you can hold up the last guy to get information out of him but then you never (at least I didn't) encounter this kind of situation again.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

Why can't the game just hitch your horse at locations when you take a train? The spot they put them in Saint Denis is dangerous as hell.

Oh no, LOL. The poor thing. I've not yet had my horse be close enough t on get whalloped when taking the train. Would be nice to have them hitched for sure.

I feel like the game introduces these types of encounters and tells you that you can hold up the last guy to get information out of him but then you never (at least I didn't) encounter this kind of situation again.
You know, I didnt eve. think about that. I recall something about finding random treasure maps from enemies. I'll try to keep that in mind for playthrough #2.

Whenever I start my second playthrough I plan to be Arther the Asshole. I'm going fully into the red, ignore my camp, murder everyone who event just looms at me funny, and rob folks often :D

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Quick questions about the end of Chapter 6.

Does the end of Chapter 6 change depending on your honor? Please don't spoil either ending if it does, thanks

Nimrod

Nov 3, 2017
The story only takes you as far west as Pike's Basin. But if you go exploring on your own, be warned that things in that area only get explained through radiant events, so if you skip through them, you might miss out on some basic information about what's happening in those parts of the world. I raced through all of New Austin for pure nostalgia's sake and I ended up missing out on what was up with Armadillo. You might be better served by waiting until the epilogues conclude, not that I would ever recommend not exploring.

Thanks for the info.
So it's possible to keep playing after the epilogue?

Does the end of Chapter 6 change depending on your honor? Please don't spoil either ending if it does, thanks

Yes, there are different endings.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Yes, the ending will change depending on honor, along with an option that is given within the final mission itself. Honor can also impact certain sidequests and radiant quests; some will be unavailable completely if your honor is not at a certain level, though none of those count towards 100%. Also, the animal that Arthur sees in dreams varies based on your honor. I've seen the wolf, eagle and buck, and I've heard there might be a coyote or fox as well. And there are shop discounts given for having high honor.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently on Chapter 4, so I have to ask since I keep hearing a variant of this every now and then.

Does the pacing take a turn for the worse in Chapter 5 or something?

Oct 29, 2017
Well I saw the credits roll. Can I just play all the sidequests and hunting stuff freely after this?

There are some scenes in the credits that lead me to believe that there is a potential hard ending where I wont be able to just explore the world

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm currently on Chapter 4, so I have to ask since I keep hearing a variant of this every now and then.

Does the pacing take a turn for the worse in Chapter 5 or something?
The pacing takes a pretty significant turn in Chapter 5 through the conclusion of the story; it's much more accelerated than the often-plodding pacing of the early chapters. That's not necessarily a negative, but it definitely changes the feel of the game.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whew. Finished Chapter 6 last night.

What a game, what an experience. As I'd mentioned before, I've never played RDR1 (technically I started it, but didn't get much past the intro and don't remember much except the basics about the game), so I am looking forward to finishing the epilogue and diving into RDR1 on the X to finish the story.

Some thoughts..

I kinda rushed through the last 5-8 story missions, since I had a pretty good idea what was coming, no sense dicking around for hours with skins and looting nonsense. Tried to do all the white stranger missions I could beforehand. I hope I didn't miss too much.

RIP my beautiful beautiful snow white Arabian horse. You lasted me almost the entire game!

There is still a TON of the map I haven't been to.. Blackwater was WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE the entire game.. I wonder if that is covered in the epilogue? Weird that no mission ever went down there.

RING DANG DOO!

Fuck Micah ( I hope he gets his in RDR)

The talk with the nun at the train station? Yeesh. "I'm scared, sister"

That final ride got my right misty eye'd. I ended up with max honor.

Cruel, cruel world indeed.

GOTY 11/10

How is the game on a 2nd play through? I feel like I'd be SO much better at the first 1/3rd of the game now that I understand how everything works.

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Overweight Arthur doesn't have time to chase, so have a bullet in the back.

You have to eat like a pro bodybuilder on every steroid and growth hormone known to put on weight, but it's worth it.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Overweight Arthur doesn't have time to chase, so have a bullet in the back.

You have to eat like a pro bodybuilder on every steroid and growth hormone known to put on weight, but it's worth it.
I always ate when my health core was low, and I ate until it was full. Yet I remained very lean throughout the game. What do you need to do to get fat? Just constantly spam food over and over and over? I don't get it.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I always ate when my health core was low, and I ate until it was full. Yet I remained very lean throughout the game. What do you need to do to get fat? Just constantly spam food over and over and over? I don't get it.

It seems like you need to space out eating, rather than eating a bunch at once. So like 3 "meals" a day, plus I've been slamming biscuits and crackers. When you transition or sleep, you'll see the health icon look like a weight symbol, with an arrow going up or down to let you know if you've gained or lost weight.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Slim in Chapter 6 now... Are there things that I should know in terms of crafting that either are or are not available now? Or won't be after the end of this chapter?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Having finished it completely now...Im completely empty. Like reading a book. You dont want to say goodbye. And you get so depressed wondering what happens to them all and how they are preserved in a long forgotten era

I just cant get over the end of chapter 6. And while I never played RDR1, This game really made me anxious knowing what becomes of John

I wish we can get more stories, but it doesnt seem like theres much room left.

A depression era game sounds great, but I want to go back and play as Arthur or Charles.

Im going to miss these characters and this sad world so much. I think its safe to say that this is my favorite single player experience this gen, and since Last of Us.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Having finished it completely now...Im completely empty. Like reading a book. You dont want to say goodbye. And you get so depressed wondering what happens to them all and how they are preserved in a long forgotten era

I just cant get over the end of chapter 6. And while I never played RDR1, This game really made me anxious knowing what becomes of John

I wish we can get more stories, but it doesnt seem like theres much room left.

A depression era game sounds great, but I want to go back and play as Arthur or Charles.

Im going to miss these characters and this sad world so much. I think its safe to say that this is my favorite single player experience this gen, and since Last of Us.
Good to hear, sounds about how I picture myself feeling after I totally finish. Just finished chapter 6, and....

Totally interested to know that I'm only %75 done with the story (according to the games progress menu), the Epilogue must be a sizeable chunk of game

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear, sounds about how I picture myself feeling after I totally finish. Just finished chapter 6, and....

Totally interested to know that I'm only %75 done with the story (according to the games progress menu), the Epilogue must be a sizeable chunk of game

The epilogue is slow so just soak in the beauty of the game. I felt completely bittersweet about it after chapter 6.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck ?? I just killed a legendary elk, when I am about to skin it, a panther or cougar jumped on me, out of fucking nowhere and instant kills me. The hell ? Now I have to redo the whole thing again...

Oct 25, 2017
I got tired of losing honor when I kill someone that started shooting at me so now I just hogtie and leave them in the middle of nowhere. Hope you enjoy the slow death from being left in the middle of the fucking desert, asshole

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, just has two interactions with NPCs that I originally ran into probably 40 hours ago, and the entire thing was contextual to what happened previously/what has happened in the story. Unbelievable... even with all the accolades I feel like this game isn't getting enough credit.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Im in early chapter BH

Im looking for iguani, but i heard that there is one in new austin. Will there be a chance to go there?

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of near the end of Chapter 5 methinks, right after that music number

This game just keeps on going

I love and hate it at the same time. It's like a TV show I can't stop binging, warts and all.

This is all I ever wanted.

It's...

It's...

(well, except the controls. they still kinda blow)

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
It seems like you need to space out eating, rather than eating a bunch at once. So like 3 "meals" a day, plus I've been slamming biscuits and crackers. When you transition or sleep, you'll see the health icon look like a weight symbol, with an arrow going up or down to let you know if you've gained or lost weight.
Does Arthur actually look fatter?

Nov 1, 2018
are there anymore money glitches in the single player that i can do while in chapter 2? seems the gold bar glitch is gone. i wonder... can i reinstall rdr2 without the patch and still load my save so i can do the gold glitch?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing on PS4 Pro with 4K settings active (HDR off) on a 2018 LG C8 OLED.

I've been closely monitoring the IQ of this game from the time I started it on my Samsung 1080p LED to when we got our new TV.

I can absolutely confirm that whatever update 1.05 did, it cleaned up the image and things are looking better to my eye than they did with previous versions.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Playing on PS4 Pro with 4K settings active (HDR off) on a 2018 LG C8 OLED.

I've been closely monitoring the IQ of this game from the time I started it on my Samsung 1080p LED to when we got our new TV.

I can absolutely confirm that whatever update 1.05 did, it cleaned up the image and things are looking better to my eye than they did with previous versions.

Yes, after 1.05 the IQ looks crisper. 1080p, SS ON. Don't think it's placebo this time.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Does Arthur actually look fatter?

For sure. It's a trip seeing him like that after so many hours in the game. The body is bigger, but the round face hardly looks like him.

Just a couple quick pics to show 5-6% (reduction in damage) overweight. Not sure what max is yet....7 to 10%?
CmkPE6G.jpg

uBJmuwe.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The fuck ?? I just killed a legendary elk, when I am about to skin it, a panther or cougar jumped on me, out of fucking nowhere and instant kills me. The hell ? Now I have to redo the whole thing again...
Once you kill a legendary animal, it's gone. If you lose the carcass/pelt, the parts are still delivered to the trapper and fence to make everything you would be able to, you just lose out on a little cash from selling it.

Im in early chapter BH

Im looking for iguani, but i heard that there is one in new austin. Will there be a chance to go there?
There's a largish island immediately west of Rhodes that has iguana on it.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
For sure. It's a trip seeing him like that after so many hours in the game. The body is bigger, but the round face hardly looks like him.

Just a couple quick pics to show 5-6% (reduction in damage) overweight. Not sure what max is yet....7 to 10%?
CmkPE6G.jpg

uBJmuwe.jpg
appreciate those pics, definitely doesn't look like him. Lol
Once you kill a legendary animal, it's gone. If you lose the carcass/pelt, the parts are still delivered to the trapper and fence to make everything you would be able to, you just lose out on a little cash from selling it.

There's a largish island immediately west of Rhodes that has iguana on it.

Hey, how's that second play through coming along? You're a brave one to do that, this is a massive game. Is it hard to do? Are you enjoying it? Are you getting anything new out of it, in terms of enjoyment?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Did the new update fix the issue with preferred loadouts not saving?

I think that's my one annoyance with the game still. Despite going into a gunsmith and saving a certain repeater and shotgun as my back and shoulder weapons respectively, the game discards it as soon as I get on my horse.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Did one of the challenges that has you race from one place to another in 5 minutes... after I made it I got off and patted my horse, and Arthur said "good job" / "way to go" / "so proud of you"... lines I've never heard before but seemed contextual to completing that challenge with the horse. It kind of blew me away.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
100% achieved.

Turns out that I was missing a store robbery. I thought all you have to do is to rob the cash register. Wasn't aware that you have to trigger a special type of robbery that is seemingly available at every gun store. Wished that would have been communicated better. Took me ages to figure out, because once again there was no checklist, but only a number indicator.

---

Btw. todays patch notes:

DR2 Story Mode General / Miscellaneous – PS4, Xbox One
  • Fixed an issue where the player could become stuck at 90% when loading an autosave made immediately after the mission 'Country Pursuits', if it was the only open mission
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck on loading screen when trying to restart game after completing the mission 'County Pursuits'
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck at 90% when loading a save in Chapter 2, if they had set up camp near Horseshoe Overlook after completing 'The First Shall Be Last'
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck at 90% when loading after loading an autosave or manual save
  • Fixed an issue where players could lose access to all weapons and equipment in their weapon wheel after completing a mission replay in Guarma

Red Dead Online Beta General / Miscellaneous – PS4, Xbox One
  • General stability improvements
  • Fixed the issue where players removing an injured horse from the stables without healing it would result in the Scrawny Nag appearing when whistling for their horse
  • Fixed an issue where players could not exit the house in the Mission 'Love and Honor'
  • Fixed an issue where players would be unable to load beyond 90% in the Red Dead Online beta unless they entered Story mode first
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck at a black screen after a Posse leader quit the lobby in the mission 'Love and Honor'
  • Fixed an issue where players could crash to the Xbox Home screen when resuming from a suspended state after connecting to Xbox Live services
  • Fixed an issue where players could be kicked from Rockstar game services with error 0x99395004 after completing part 2 of the mission 'Honor Among Horse Thieves'

Those are some seriously disappointing patch notes.

yikes.

I've noticed that I can almost never leave RDR2 in low power suspension on X1X. It seems to just always close. Maybe it's because there are updates that get applied, but it makes me worried about saving every time I leave the game alone. Lately the past few nights I've been booted out and forced to apply 1.5GB updates. That's never happened to me with games before.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Did one of the challenges that has you race from one place to another in 5 minutes... after I made it I got off and patted my horse, and Arthur said "good job" / "way to go" / "so proud of you"... lines I've never heard before but seemed contextual to completing that challenge with the horse. It kind of blew me away.

There's a button that does that.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Hey, how's that second play through coming along? You're a brave one to do that, this is a massive game. Is it hard to do? Are you enjoying it? Are you getting anything new out of it, in terms of enjoyment?
I've been getting a lot more out of it because I no longer feel like I need to race through the story to avoid spoilers. I'm only midway through Chapter 3 and my overall completion percentage is higher than when I was midway through Chapter 5 on my first playthrough. I've upgraded all the camp things you can buy, I've almost completely upgraded all the camp things you need to craft (no idea why my camp mates are so picky about perfect pelts for seat covers for a fucking log, but whatever), I have every satchel upgrade except the final one (still need a cougar, which I'm hunting with a bow thanks to one of the challenges), I have basically all the trinkets and talismans, I've done a lot more of the challenges, my stats are maxed for the current area, I'm doing more of the treasure hunts and dino bones and rock carvings and cigarette cards and points of interest and rare weapons and legendary fish... Yeah, it's great. There's so much I missed the first time around, and even then the game seemed overwhelming. There's something very cathartic about just sitting on a rock in the rain, overlooking a road and hoping a cougar will spawn while watching all the animals carry on their lives around you.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
yikes.

I've noticed that I can almost never leave RDR2 in low power suspension on X1X. It seems to just always close. Maybe it's because there are updates that get applied, but it makes me worried about saving every time I leave the game alone. Lately the past few nights I've been booted out and forced to apply 1.5GB updates. That's never happened to me with games before.

After the one that I posted (v1.04), they also had an other one yestery (v1.05), so you most likely got booted because of it. Games with MP are more likely to boot you out of the game, because they want to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Btw. patch notes for v1.05:

Red Dead Online Beta General / Miscellaneous – PS4, Xbox One
  • General improvements to fix game stability, save data and to address exploits.

lol

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Did the new update fix the issue with preferred loadouts not saving?

I think that's my one annoyance with the game still. Despite going into a gunsmith and saving a certain repeater and shotgun as my back and shoulder weapons respectively, the game discards it as soon as I get on my horse.

Not really. I notice when hunting, the equipment I'm using stays with me when getting off my horse, but the second I jump off in a town, the weapons vanish. I mean I can set my loadout, get on my horse a second later, and the weapons stay on the horse, like you said.
They really don't want you to have your guns in towns, but how many missions start in one, causing you to start with just your pistol, or what the game wants you to have?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm people said that the IQ improved with 1.03 but i didnt noticed any improvements. With this new update tho... I think the game looks way better on 4k tv

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Need a gauge on how far I am from the end or at least the end of Chapter 6.

Just hung Colm and did nabbed the vaccine stuff for the indigenous people