• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Oh yes. There is quite the Reddit community. I wouldn't say it's to the feverish dedication of the Mt. Chiliad mystery in GTAV but there's a pretty dedicated bunch trying to find him.

If you've gotten to the epilogue there's also a neat detail

You find Gavin's friend in Blackwater, years later, even more desperate, in the same clothes only they're ripped and dirty. He seems like he's about to lose it even more completely.
Okay, I'll have to check that out. I don't know if R* is known to troll players or not but it seems crazy to put this guy in and not have something behind it.

Thanks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 5 is definitely the low point but it's also super short.

The worst part of it was the weapons you're saddled with for the whole experience. I initially wanted to stick around and hunt all the animals for the trophies, but being CONSTANTLY ambushed by hostiles while saddled with garbage-tier weaponry made me just rush through it as quickly as possible.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on a second playthrough and I'm just about to Chapter 4, so I'll gladly give my thoughts on any questions or comments you have about those missions. As far as crafting ammo, I ended up making a deal with my wife. She sat there pressing X repeatedly to craft split point ammunition of every type while I made her a cocktail. Now I have full split type ammo, since I never even use the stuff since Express is more convenient. But if you have a spouse / significant other / friend / sibling you can bribe to do it for you, I'd go with that. I never bother to cook more than I'm going to eat in one sitting at any given camp; it never even occurred to me that I could.

You can also just hold down X/A to craft ammo. It will keep crafting until you are full or out of materials.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So I just left the
island and did the shootout with the marshalls

How close to the end am I?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

Chapter 6 is easily the longest chapter. It involves an awful lot of riding long distances between missions which - while a lot of people complain about this - I personally felt was a nice opportunity to reflect on the journey before being thrust into the end game.

Chapter 6 is also Stranger mission heavy, and not in the traditional sense. Many Stranger missions are "honor missions" which both allow you to ratchet your honor up or down significantly and wrap up a number of side plot beats. I recommend you do all of these.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 is easily the longest chapter. It involves an awful lot of riding long distances between missions which - while a lot of people complain about this - I personally felt was a nice opportunity to reflect on the journey before being thrust into the end game.

Chapter 6 is also Stranger mission heavy, and not in the traditional sense. Many Stranger missions are "honor missions" which both allow you to ratchet your honor up or down significantly and wrap up a number of side plot beats. I recommend you do all of these.

The worst part for me...

was right after I got back to the Trading Post. I refused to steal a horse in order to get back to Shady Belle, so I decided to walk to the stable outside of town and see if I could summon one of mine back or, failing that, buy a new temporary one. But without the camp set and all the shops (and the inn!?) closed, it seemed impossible to force the game to roll over from night to day and the stable wouldn't reopen. Sat outside of that stable for a good 20 minutes but the sun never came up.

I tried to walk, but it was just too far. The game seemed insistent that I steal some rando's horse and ride it back to camp so it could make me listen to the song. At least it didn't penalize me for it, but I still felt terrible.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part for me...

was right after I got back to the Trading Post. I refused to steal a horse in order to get back to Shady Belle, so I decided to walk to the stable outside of town and see if I could summon one of mine back or, failing that, buy a new temporary one. But without the camp set and all the shops (and the inn!?) closed, it seemed impossible to force the game to roll over from night to day and the stable wouldn't reopen. Sat outside of that stable for a good 20 minutes but the sun never came up.

I tried to walk, but it was just too far. The game seemed insistent that I steal some rando's horse and ride it back to camp so it could make me listen to the song. At least it didn't penalize me for it, but I still felt terrible.

Ain't there a free horse to grab when riding back?

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finally getting around to working on finishing the epilogue..

Just built the house, that was a great cutscene/thing with the music and everything.. fucking Uncle lol.

Can't wait to see how everything related in RDR1 since I haven't played it, and will be starting it once I finish this up.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The worst part for me...

Yeah if you were trying to role play as a good guy then sadly you're SOL. It's a nearly scripted scene. I justified it by realizing I'd just been through literal hell and grabbing one skinny horse was worth it to find out what happened to my friends.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part for me...

Wait, the song? I don't think it triggered for me. It's funny because I never heard Far Away in RDR1 either

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the song? I don't think it triggered for me. It's funny because I never heard Far Away in RDR1 either

I don't know the actual title of the song, but it played "I Stand Unshaken" for most of the ride back to Shady Belle once I stole a horse. It only started to fade out when I was about half a mile away.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't know the actual title of the song, but it played "I Stand Unshaken" for most of the ride back to Shady Belle once I stole a horse. It only started to fade out when I was about half a mile away.
Y'all shoulda stolen that horse. I was a complete whitehat when I played through and I still was like, fuck it, the game clearly stuck this horse here for me to take. And then you get the song over the long cinematic ride back to what remains of your camp.
Probably my favorite scene in the entire game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all shoulda stolen that horse. I was a complete whitehat when I played through and I still was like, fuck it, the game clearly stuck this horse here for me to take. And then you get the song over the long cinematic ride back to what remains of your camp.

Oh, I did. I just resisted it for half a damn hour because I'm stubborn and didn't realize the game refused to let time pass until I actually got on the damn horse.

I'm just glad I didn't actually walk the whole way. I made it like halfway from Van Horn to Emerald Ridge before I got bored and loaded my save and went to the stable.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, that was an amazing segment.

I was so exhausted by what had just taken place, I hopped right onto the first horse I saw, desperate to see some of the other gang members again.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I was too, but then it turns out that's just one more reason why Sadie is the best. She had your back.

So is it pretty much cannon at this point that Bill is gay or at the very least curious about men?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I missed:

Is Charles still alive? The icon for the mission on the Social Club shows him and Arthur hugging but I don't remember seeing him in the shanty town before everything went to hell.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Finally getting around to working on finishing the epilogue..

Just built the house, that was a great cutscene/thing with the music and everything.. fucking Uncle lol.

Can't wait to see how everything related in RDR1 since I haven't played it, and will be starting it once I finish this up.

Oh, playing this before the original seems like it'd be interesting. There are a load of callbacks and references to the original game throughout the story of this, so you'll be getting a lot of "ah! that's what that meant!" moments.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the epilogue last night with the credits rolling. I actually thought I had a ways to go judging by my map.

I still have everything south and west of John's house uncovered. Were there missions I missed? Like I never went to Armadillo until now.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the epilogue last night with the credits rolling. I actually thought I had a ways to go judging by my map.

I still have everything south and west of John's house uncovered. Were there missions I missed? Like I never went to Armadillo until now.

The rest of the Red Dead 1 America map is purely there for fanservice. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I'm sure it's stated in the original that John never really goes much further West than Beecher's Hope.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So...

I think I'm getting up on the end of the game. I rescued John, the entire east side of the map has me wanted dead or alive and I think I've chewed up every sidequest I can find except for the final debtor for Strauss.

Anything hidden or hard to find I should go seek out and do or experience before I approach the endgame? Easter eggs, etc? I still need to finish that serial killer side arc, probably...

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolved the first one. Will probably do the same for the last one. I'm playing Arthur as white-hat as I possibly can - I have over $10,000 saved up so it's not like I need the money.

That's the situation I was in. I highly recommend you see that quest line through to the end and absolve the debts since you're playing good Arthur. Make sure you speak with Strauss after you complete them all too. Curious to see if you think the outcome is justified. I was personally a little shocked.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Finally finished chapter 6 and called it quits. As much as I loved the game I didn't have it in me to continue any more after nearly 3 months of playing. Watched a short version of the epilogue on youtube.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Monster. Your horse deserves apples and carrots and sugar cubes too.

To be fair, I customized half a dozen guns, went on a shopping spree in Ste. Denis and never did a single treasure hunt on my first playthrough and still finished the game with about six grand.