• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
IGN is a little iffy with their tips since most of them are reader-run like a wiki. They may be right but I got a three star kill in the little mini bayou near the Gray's plantation.

Yea I think that's about where I am. Near the coast. It was my first time over there so I'm a little off on geography still. I'll try again tonight.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
It's a pain but for me the damn badgers are much more difficult to find. And iguanas until you discover the Island O' Iguanas.

Just don't be disheartened if it kills you down there. He's sneaky.

Got me twice before I got the drop on him.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Also, spent like 45 minutes trying for a 3 star panther mast night. Are these just really rare?
I got incredibly lucky with that one; the first panther I saw was a 3-star. I was basically right between Catfish Jackson's and the Old Harry Fen Shack directly South of Rhodes. If they aren't spawning, make a camp, save your game, and reload that save. It resets the animal spawning.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure who I hate more right now: Micah or Dutch. Fucking hell, Dutch is an idiot. I legitimately don't understand how more of the crew hasn't bailed on him yet. Trelawney had the right idea.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
God dammit this panther. Come on. Always poor when I find one and it's frustrating because it takes like 40 minutes to find one and I only have so much time with work being insane. Ugh.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
They probably should have made animals like cougars, panthers and bears all 3 star quality. It's extremely annoying when you wait for ages and finally see one only for it to be 1 or 2 star pelts which are pretty much useless.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God DAMN IT.

All my money is gone. All $10,694 of it. Fuck. I was gonna say "I guess you can't take it with you", but Arthur literally gave his bag to John.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I have a question. I've just reached chapter 6 and I'm wondering if

There's anything I need to do before the end of the chapter that won't be available afterwards? Any missions or tasks that can only be done as Arthur?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question. I've just reached chapter 6 and I'm wondering if

There's anything I need to do before the end of the chapter that won't be available afterwards? Any missions or tasks that can only be done as Arthur?

Off the top of my head,
There's a high honour exclusive mission found in Annesburg, with Edith Downes. I'd also do any camp member side missions, so Strauss's debt collection missions. Even if you're trying to go honourable, don't ignore these.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if...

It's possible to finish the serial killer map sidequest in the Epilogue? I found two of the map pieces but never finished it.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Micah kick
God DAMN IT.

All my money is gone. All $10,694 of it. Fuck. I was gonna say "I guess you can't take it with you", but Arthur literally gave his bag to John.

I felt the same way for about five minutes. Then I realized

Money is so easy to make in this game it wasn't a big deal. I was more worried about all your custom weapons.

Strangely, once I had access to Arthur's dual custom Schofields I couldn't bring myself to use them as John. It felt wrong.
[\SPOILER]

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Micah kick

I felt the same way for about five minutes. Then I realized

Money is so easy to make in this game it wasn't a big deal. I was more worried about all your custom weapons.

Strangely, once I had access to Arthur's dual custom Schofields I couldn't bring myself to use them as John. It felt wrong.
[\SPOILER]

My Arthur died with Calloway's revolver in his hand. I'm not sure if I'll give John his custom guns, but I'm definitely gonna need to replace his amazing maxed out Arabian. Rest in peace, Drampo II. You may have thrown me off your back in the middle of a wolf attack a few too many times, but you were still my traitor. Maybe I can go pick up Buell from a stable...

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Arthur died with Calloway's revolver in his hand. I'm not sure if I'll give John his custom guns, but I'm definitely gonna need to replace his amazing maxed out Arabian. Rest in peace, Drampo II. You may have thrown me off your back in the middle of a wolf attack a few too many times, but you were still my traitor. Maybe I can go pick up Buell from a stable...

Sadly stabled horses are all gone too. Epilogue is pretty much a fresh start. I was mostly okay with this because plot-wise, it wouldn't make much sense to write John as basically destitute and then give him access to thousands of dollars in horses.

I recommend the gold Turkoman in the Ste-Denis stables.
[\SPOILER]

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly stabled horses are all gone too. Epilogue is pretty much a fresh start. I was mostly okay with this because plot-wise, it wouldn't make much sense to write John as basically destitute and then give him access to thousands of dollars in horses.

I recommend the gold Turkoman in the Ste-Denis stables.
[\SPOILER]

Damn it. I hope Buell's okay. That poor guy's been through a lot and I only rode him once. :(

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's the one you get from Hamish, right? I never got him because

I accidentally hit the point of no return and it felt silly to continue that quest line as John. Now that I read that if you do, John and Hamish reminisce about what a good guy Arthur was which sounds really cool and I kind of regret not going back.

In my next play through I'm going to spend a ton of time just doing side stuff in chapter three and four.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He's the one you get from Hamish, right? I never got him because

I accidentally hit the point of no return and it felt silly to continue that quest line as John. Now that I read that if you do, John and Hamish reminisce about what a good guy Arthur was which sounds really cool and I kind of regret not going back.

In my next play through I'm going to spend a ton of time just doing side stuff in chapter three and four.

He is the one you get from Hamish, yeah. He's weaker than the Arabian, but he's huge.

My biggest regret, actually, is not sleeping again after the bridge explosion mission. I never got the journal entries leading up to the final mission, so Arthur's journal literally ends with a sketch of an exploding bridge. Which is...kind of fitting somehow.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
So I finished the main part of the game and some of the epilogue. I'm done. I can't take anymore. I'm uninstalling rdr2 with a great sigh of relief. Definitely will not ever replay this game.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That totally is! It's funny how such a heavily scripted game can be emergent with little details.

For example, my last interaction with Hosea before his death was just playing a few games of dominoes with him at Shady Belle. He and Arthur were discussing mortality and reminiscing simpler times. It seemed really fitting and is probably the single moment I will most remember about this game. I didn't get spoiled about his death either so the whole thing was a kung-fu gut punch.
[\SPOILER]

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the game and played past chapter 1 and while I'm enjoying the story and characters so far, not even the many threads I've seen on the controls prepared me for how bad they actually are. yeesh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the game and played past chapter 1 and while I'm enjoying the story and characters so far, not even the many threads I've seen on the controls prepared me for how bad they actually are. yeesh.

The controls are a mess, but eventually you'll get used to them.

Mostly.

I still fuck them up every so often. I failed a mission two nights ago because I hit R2 to try and drive a stagecoach like I was playing another Rockstar game, and instead shot the horse in the back of the head and spooked the NPC buddy. Whoops.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
God DAMN IT.

Don't worry, it all comes back eventually. Although I think you can plan ahead and leave some unsold gold bars in the satchel and just sell them for a quick cash injection early on in the epilogue.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The controls are a mess, but eventually you'll get used to them.

Mostly.

I still fuck them up every so often. I failed a mission two nights ago because I hit R2 to try and drive a stagecoach like I was playing another Rockstar game, and instead shot the horse in the back of the head and spooked the NPC buddy. Whoops.
Sometimes even pressing the right buttons causes problems.

Run to my horse. Press triangle to quickly mount it. Instead tackle a bystander. Crime reported. Shootout insues.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
This white Arabian horse doesn't exist. Been searching for days at lake Isabella and nothing. My buddy said he found the horse right away.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This white Arabian horse doesn't exist. Been searching for days at lake Isabella and nothing. My buddy said he found the horse right away.

If you can't find it come back a few days later so it resets the spawn rate. My first playthrough it was there straight away. On my second I wasted 2 hours looking for one and eventually gave up. Came back a few days later and it was there straight away again.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
This epilogue is never going to end. And the worst part is how much time I'm having to spend with that annoying woman with the worst fake southern accent I've ever heard(even worse than maggie in the walking dead if that is even possible)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Herbalist challenge completed (did a good job guessing what the last three I was missing were), with bandit and gambler (domino challenge completed thank fucking god) almost completed. Almost over the biggest hurdle to 100% until alls I gotta do is run around and find shit for strangers.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it really strange how Rockstar uses different movement mechanics depending on whether you're in first person or third person. First person feels a lot better to play and if you're having issues with the "weightiness" I heavily recommend to switch to playing exclusively first person. Just turn off first person cover in camera options so it'll do a Deus Ex style switch to third person when in cover.

First person makes this game so much more fun to play and I think you will have a big advantage in the online mode against third person players as well because you can react to things happening faster.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just did:

The mission where you destroy the Braitwaithe Mansion for taking Jack and my God was that mission fun as hell.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the heads-up about that. The control tweaks listed in the OP made a big difference for me.

THIS!!! Holy shit so big a difference.

The controls aren't amazing but by about three hours in I was fine with them with those tweaks.

I'm really not trying to be a dick, but I never will understand all the reports of people accidentally tackling npcs when trying to mount a horse etc.

160 hours in the game and never did that. It's like players are just sprinting everywhere even in crowds.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Whew....finally finished. That was definitely the most visually spectacular world I've ever seen, and there's a lot I've completely missed. It's just too bad the controls were incredibly aggravating. There was so much side stuff that I never even bothered with because of how tedious it was(like crafting and hunting). The core system was interesting, but got old having to constantly maintain. The epilogue seemed so out of place and just felt like it was trying to shoehorn in that character

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
THIS!!! Holy shit so big a difference.

The controls aren't amazing but by about three hours in I was fine with them with those tweaks.

I'm really not trying to be a dick, but I never will understand all the reports of people accidentally tackling npcs when trying to mount a horse etc.

160 hours in the game and never did that. It's like players are just sprinting everywhere even in crowds.

I think people are trying to play these games like an AC game or any other open world game where you can just sprint around and do whatever. So I guess I can understand not liking this game if you want a game like that but never understood the criticism of the game as if this game isn't deliberately trying to be slow paced. It's like going to a western movie and complaining that there's not enough action.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been thinking about this game a lot recently. I put it down about a month ago after a near 2 month obsession with it, and I'm kind of bummed out that the game is so divisive. This game deserves to be celebrated but it feels like you can't have a conversation about it without someone telling you how the game is very overrated etc. It doesn't really matter because it doesn't affect how I feel about the game and my understanding of what R* was trying to do but that's just something I think about.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
TIL you can move faster while aiming if you "sprint", which is pressing LS for me. Not a huge thing but funny I didn't notice it after 90 hours.

I'm having a hard time jumping into another game after this. I played Celeste as a palette cleanser but keep wanting to come back to Red Dead to just take in the world. It feels like I see something new or some different part of the world each time. It really is incredible.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Got my legendary stachel, time to progress through the rest of chapter 2, :lol

Question:
I think saving _____ from jail in strawberry got me a $300 bounty. Game said this will happen from time to time. Should I pay this off ASAP?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think people are trying to play these games like an AC game or any other open world game where you can just sprint around and do whatever. So I guess I can understand not liking this game if you want a game like that but never understood the criticism of the game as if this game isn't deliberately trying to be slow paced. It's like going to a western movie and complaining that there's not enough action.

That must be it. I was always content to walk most places. Even back to camp after being left in Valentine after coming in by cart.

Especially in crowded places like St-Denis. It's just not a game where you're supposed to be sprinting around all the time. The default movement is walking for a reason.

I've been thinking about this game a lot recently. I put it down about a month ago after a near 2 month obsession with it, and I'm kind of bummed out that the game is so divisive. This game deserves to be celebrated but it feels like you can't have a conversation about it without someone telling you how the game is very overrated etc. It doesn't really matter because it doesn't affect how I feel about the game and my understanding of what R* was trying to do but that's just something I think about.

Absolutely agree with this. I understand complaints that the slow pacing makes for an unenjoyable experience - I personally disagree - but I totally get it. If that's how you feel then I recommend AC: Odyssey or many other great alternatives. But don't just dismiss the thing as "overrated." It won a landslide of awards for a reason.

In general the arm-chair critic mentality surrounding certain developers bums me out. Like CDProjeckt or Naughty Dog or Sony games are darlings (and I love those devs too!) but almost automatically games by Rockstar, UbiSoft or various EA studios are dismissed around here. Stigmas exist for a reason but I prefer taking games on a case by case basis instead of automatically damning them based on previous work or publisher.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The issue with the game for me is how the controls and weight is executed rather than the actual motion of it being "slow". I think most people understand what type of game Rockstar were trying to create how, I just don't think they did a particularly great job mechanically.