• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The issue with the game for me is how the controls and weight is executed rather than the actual motion of it being "slow". I think most people understand what type of game Rockstar were trying to create how, I just don't think they did a particularly great job mechanically.
Yeah I think the controls could've been better but I do not think they are awful or hinder enjoyment. Maybe I have more patience than most idk.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Got my legendary stachel, time to progress through the rest of chapter 2, :lol

Question:
I think saving _____ from jail in strawberry got me a $300 bounty. Game said this will happen from time to time. Should I pay this off ASAP?
It really depends. Often times when the story gives you a mission that will result in a large bounty, it will also take you away from that area so that you're never really in a position where you have to constantly worry about bounty hunters interrupting you. But, if you're like me, and you want to be able to explore freely, then it's a lot nicer to not have to worry about a high bounty. If you don't have much money, you can donate all but $1 to the camp, go intentionally get yourself arrested in the territory where you have a bounty, surrender to the police and spend a night in jail. They'll take all your money (which is only $1) but it completely wipes your bounty.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about this game a lot recently. I put it down about a month ago after a near 2 month obsession with it, and I'm kind of bummed out that the game is so divisive. This game deserves to be celebrated but it feels like you can't have a conversation about it without someone telling you how the game is very overrated etc. It doesn't really matter because it doesn't affect how I feel about the game and my understanding of what R* was trying to do but that's just something I think about.
Agree with you. This is the game of generation for me, no game comes close.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends. Often times when the story gives you a mission that will result in a large bounty, it will also take you away from that area so that you're never really in a position where you have to constantly worry about bounty hunters interrupting you. But, if you're like me, and you want to be able to explore freely, then it's a lot nicer to not have to worry about a high bounty. If you don't have much money, you can donate all but $1 to the camp, go intentionally get yourself arrested in the territory where you have a bounty, surrender to the police and spend a night in jail. They'll take all your money (which is only $1) but it completely wipes your bounty.

Even if it's $300? What about the dead or alive?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Even if it's $300? What about the dead or alive?
It only matters for that specific region. So let's say (hypothetically) the game gives you a big bounty up in Ambarino. It's only in effect while you're in that region. You can still go to New Hanover, Lemoyne or West Elizabeth and bounty hunters won't come looking for you. And consequently, while there are several missions throughout the game that will result in an automatic bounty that you can't prevent, the game also will immediately move you away from that region as the story progresses. Basically, you can ignore the bounty unless you happen to want to go back to that area. And even then, even with an incredibly high bounty, you can do everything you otherwise would be able to. I had a $250 bounty and I walked into the sheriff's office to try to clear it... and he DID NOT CARE. Completely ignored me. Shops will still be open, no one will run from you in the street or anything. It's not like a wanted meter in GTA. You can mostly ignore it, keeping in mind that bounty hunters will come looking for you. I always paid mine off regardless because I don't like feeling restricted, but it's nowhere near as bad as you might expect.

Dead or alive is a different story. The game gives you a dead or alive bounty from the get go in Blackwater, which is meant more as a form of level-gating to keep you out of the west side of the map. If you try and go over there, you'll be constantly pursued, and eventually just killed by invisible snipers. There is no way, outside of specific story missions, to ever earn a "dead or alive" bounty on yourself. You could run through Saint Denis and kill every single NPC, and end up with a very high bounty indeed, and you still won't get to "Wanted: Dead or Alive." The game reserves that to use it as a tool to keep you out of certain areas at certain times.

On an unrelated note, I just played the first Marko Dragic mission. I missed these on my first playthrough. And it was great! I'm piloting an RC boat in a small pond blowing shit up... it's reminiscent of Supply Lines from GTA San Andreas, except it's actually fun. Definitely do every stranger mission you can, there's so much beyond the main plot.

emiliolargo

Nov 11, 2017
On an unrelated note, I just played the first Marko Dragic mission. I missed these on my first playthrough. And it was great! I'm piloting an RC boat in a small pond blowing shit up... it's reminiscent of Supply Lines from GTA San Andreas, except it's actually fun. Definitely do every stranger mission you can, there's so much beyond the main plot.

Yes that mission was something else. Imaginative and funny.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Is it possible to store more than 4 horses?

You can have three stables plus whichever one you are riding.

You can also acquire a "temporary" horse if you bond with one and ride it back to camp. You can't name or customize it but it'll respond to your whistles and will appear on the map until you sell it or it dies.

Super useful for hunting trips. You can ride your primary and whistle to the temporary and it'll follow you allowing you to carry more pelts and carcasses.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Any advice on making money in the epilogues? Seems really hard to accumulate anything without any treasure maps or side quests left to do.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
If I missed some of the animals in
Guarma
am I shit outta luck for completing the animal compendium? I got the parrots, but I've just found out there was more than that.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game a couple weeks ago, but came back to it yesterday and now have some questions about the map.

So during the game, I had explored all around the right side of the map, but avoided the area near Blackwater since we were wanted and it seemed dangerous the one time I went there for a story mission. However, after beating the game I decided to go catch all the legendary animals and fish, and discovered that the area near Blackwater wasn't just a small area, but actually about 1/3 of the total map size from the looks of it, with a lot of very beautiful and varied terrain, unique animals, and towns. Why is it that no story missions or anything take place in this New Austin area? It seems like a shame to have such a large section of the map be essentially optional. Did I just miss out on something and was actually supposed to go here earlier?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game a couple weeks ago, but came back to it yesterday and now have some questions about the map.

So during the game, I had explored all around the right side of the map, but avoided the area near Blackwater since we were wanted and it seemed dangerous the one time I went there for a story mission. However, after beating the game I decided to go catch all the legendary animals and fish, and discovered that the area near Blackwater wasn't just a small area, but actually about 1/3 of the total map size from the looks of it, with a lot of very beautiful and varied terrain, unique animals, and towns. Why is it that no story missions or anything take place in this New Austin area? It seems like a shame to have such a large section of the map be essentially optional. Did I just miss out on something and was actually supposed to go here earlier?

You can't go there until the postgame. It's actually the RDR1 world map sans Mexico, and you can explore all of it after you finish the main story.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I hit credits yesterday. One of the things that I was continuously impressed with is the cinematography and framing. Not only is it often beautifully directed, wavering on shots for just the right amount of time to let the actors and actresses really shine through on their performance, but it almost feels like the game-world has been altered in really subtle ways, just so they can get that one shot in that one cutscene.

When Colm O'Driscoll has 30 seconds to come to terms with the fact that he really is going to die. What a wonderful piece of acting, and not a single line was spoken. Just thinking about it now, it offers a really nice juxtaposition to the position that Arthur is in. He knows for a very long time, and as such is able to effect change in his own life and the lives of those around him in his final days.

And also the part where you ride out to Cornwall Kerosene and Tar to come to Eagle Flies' aid, the ride out ends with a few shots of the posse riding to their destination. The last shot, still really far away, but rises up and changes focus so you're looking at the Oil Field through a window in the trees and the hills. It feels like that path was put there, just for that shot.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Hey all! I played at launch for a few hours but got busy and haven't played since. But i plan to jump back in soon finally.

One thing that I was curious about was choice and consequence. At the start of the game your left alone in the barn with that guy and your allowed to do whatever, kill him, spare him.

In most games I play the good guy. But I was really worried that if I spared him, maybe he'd come back and hurt or kill someone in the group.

I was also worried that if I killed him maybe someone will join the group down the line and that guy was their best friend or something lol

Without spoilers please, Do choices matter much in this game? Is it better to play the good guy or the bad guy? Or is it all case by case?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey all! I played at launch for a few hours but got busy and haven't played since. But i plan to jump back in soon finally.

One thing that I was curious about was choice and consequence. At the start of the game your left alone in the barn with that guy and your allowed to do whatever, kill him, spare him.

In most games I play the good guy. But I was really worried that if I spared him, maybe he'd come back and hurt or kill someone in the group.

I was also worried that if I killed him maybe someone will join the group down the line and that guy was their best friend or something lol

Without spoilers please, Do choices matter much in this game? Is it better to play the good guy or the bad guy? Or is it all case by case?

The game gently nudges you to be an honorable man. I would recommend this playstyle especially for first playthrough. That said, you are still an outlaw. Defending your friends and, essentially your "real" family, I would argue is honorable (re. the O'Driscoll in the barn) and Arthur is still a killer.

That's as spoiler free as I can get; basically some choices matter, but you should get a pretty strong idea which ones they are. Don't expect Witcher 3 levels of choice-based gameplay and recurring faces.

Hope that helped a bit. Enjoy the amazing game.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Are the 4 types of robberies needed for 100% Store/Homestead/Bank/Stagecoach? I've done all of those and it says 3/4 on social club. The only one I can think of that I haven't done outside of the story missions is
train, but I don't want to lose honor.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
The game gently nudges you to be an honorable man. I would recommend this playstyle especially for first playthrough. That said, you are still an outlaw. Defending your friends and, essentially your "real" family, I would argue is honorable (re. the O'Driscoll in the barn) and Arthur is still a killer.

That's as spoiler free as I can get; basically some choices matter, but you should get a pretty strong idea which ones they are. Don't expect Witcher 3 levels of choice-based gameplay and recurring faces.

Hope that helped a bit. Enjoy the amazing game.
Ok perfect. Thanks for the advice! And thanks I really liked what I played at launch :). hoping a new patch hits sometime soon. It's been over a month I believe since the last one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are the 4 types of robberies needed for 100% Store/Homestead/Bank/Stagecoach? I've done all of those and it says 3/4 on social club. The only one I can think of that I haven't done outside of the story missions is
train, but I don't want to lose honor.

The fourth one is train, sadly. It mentions it on the completion list in-game.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm still on chapter 6, and want to have max honor until the end of the main story. Does you honor matter in the epilogue? If not I could just do it then.
You could always do it post-epilogue as well. Your honor is not as important in the epilogue, and, frankly, it is absurdly easy to earn honor back; if you just hold L2+Square constantly to greet every person you meet, you'll basically always be maxed on honor. I don't know how big a hit a train robbery actually does to your honor, but it can't be that bad.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
You could always do it post-epilogue as well. Your honor is not as important in the epilogue, and, frankly, it is absurdly easy to earn honor back; if you just hold L2+Square constantly to greet every person you meet, you'll basically always be maxed on honor. I don't know how big a hit a train robbery actually does to your honor, but it can't be that bad.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Just do it after finishing all of the story stuff and keep greeting people to bring it back up.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks

also in terms of stranger missions, if I trigger them can they dissapear? I always get the initial white cloudy "?" to trigger the mission but unless forces, I dont do it right then and there.

can I come back later?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks

also in terms of stranger missions, if I trigger them can they dissapear? I always get the initial white cloudy "?" to trigger the mission but unless forces, I dont do it right then and there.

can I come back later?

They'll be available for the duration of the current chapter at the very least.

Think of the general setup like this -

Chapters 1-3: early game. Explore, MOST stranger missions will carry over through chapter 3, enjoy the game world through these chapters.

Chapter 4: thing are about to get real. Wrap things up during this chapter.

Chapter 5: what the fuck just happened?

Chapter 6: end game, do everything optional you can, wrap up loose ends, bountiful opportunities for gaining or losing honor. This is it folks.

Beyond: try to enjoy. Things heat up quickly. Do not skip.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's sending out an email with a link to their site that gives you a bunch of stats about what you played in 2018.

Posting in here since if you played a shit ton of RDR 2 like I did you can finally see an hours counter lol. No way to see playtime in RDR as far as I know.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2018/wrap-up/

RDR 2 was my most played game last year at 144 hours. Not bad considering I've never even booted into the online mode.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony's sending out an email with a link to their site that gives you a bunch of stats about what you played in 2018.

Posting in here since if you played a shit ton of RDR 2 like I did you can finally see an hours counter lol. No way to see playtime in RDR as far as I know.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2018/wrap-up/

RDR 2 was my most played game last year at 144 hours. Not bad considering I've never even booted into the online mode.

Haha same. Online mode sounds awful after the masterpiece single player I just experienced.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I did the stranger missions for the Professor over the past few days. That shit gets really dark. Arthur taunting the captive about what lightning can do to a field of cattle is some horrifying shit. Like, damn, Arthur, ease up a bit would ya? I lightened the mood by doing the Chatenay missions around the same time and the scene in the gallery where Arthur is just laughing as chaos descends around him had me howling.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Haha same. Online mode sounds awful after the masterpiece single player I just experienced.
Yeah, it doesn't sound great. Gave GTA Online a shot back in like 2014 but I couldn't get into that either.

R* is my favourite developer, but their online just ain't my thing.

Whatever, so long as they don't ditch single-player. And RDR 2 is the best single-player Rockstar's ever done imo, so I'm cool.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it doesn't sound great. Gave GTA Online a shot back in like 2014 but I couldn't get into that either.

R* is my favourite developer, but their online just ain't my thing.

Whatever, so long as they don't ditch single-player. And RDR 2 is the best single-player Rockstar's ever done imo, so I'm cool.

I agree. It was a tour-de-force of a game. But given how lucrative the online side of things has been for them I was amazed we even got a single player campaign. If you're paid to make that company money, why wouldn't you just switch to an online only product?

I hate that idea with passion but understand the business side of it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I agree. It was a tour-de-force of a game. But given how lucrative the online side of things has been for them I was amazed we even got a single player campaign. If you're paid to make that company money, why wouldn't you just switch to an online only product?

They make a shit ton of money from the singleplayer as well, zero chance they would consider making an online only GTA/RDR game. In a way they already sacrifice the campaign by not really updating it with patches or releasing SP DLC. Their post game support for the SP has been dreadful compared to other games like TW3 and the last few AC games which have had countless QoL features and fixes added from player feedback. RDR 2 could be a lot better already with one decent QoL patch but I don't see it happening anymore.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I'm now 8/8 on health, stamina, and dead eye, but "Reach maximum Health, Stamina, and Dead Eye" is still not checked off in the total completion menu. Do the upgrades from challenges count for that, or did my game glitch?

Edit: Just googled it and apparently challenges count. All 3 need to be 10/10.

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone think we will get single player DLC? Or are they only focused on the money-printing maching that is RDR2 Online?

I'd love to play something like the Episodes for GTAIV, set in the world of RDR2. Playing as Charles or Hosea (in his younger days) would be awesome. Or Sadie.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, you wonder if R* will move to an always-online experience with their games at some point.

Though one thing that could keep R* single-player alive is that when Leslie Benzies first brought his lawsuit forward against the Houser bros, his side said that the Housers were very much into the single-player and that Benzies was the main champion behind GTA Online. Obviously that's just their side of the story so who knows how true that is exactly, but with Dan Houser being one of the main writers behind all their single-player and Benzies listed as Director and Producer of GTA Online, I can see it.

So maybe with Benzies gone there's less of a pull to get rid of single-player? Hopefully.

Does anyone think we will get single player DLC? Or are they only focused on the money-printing maching that is RDR2 Online?

I'd love to play something like the Episodes for GTAIV, set in the world of RDR2. Playing as Charles or Hosea (in his younger days) would be awesome. Or Sadie.
I really, really want Sadie DLC. Won't spoil it here, but there's a chunk of time for her that would work perfectly imo