• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you wonder if R* will move to an always-online experience with their games at some point.

Though one thing that could keep R* single-player alive is that when Leslie Benzies first brought his lawsuit forward against the Houser bros, his side said that the Housers were very much into the single-player and that Benzies was the main champion behind GTA Online. Obviously that's just their side of the story so who knows how true that is exactly, but with Dan Houser being one of the main writers behind all their single-player and Benzies listed as Director and Producer of GTA Online, I can see it.

So maybe with Benzies gone there's less of a pull to get rid of single-player? Hopefully.

I really, really want Sadie DLC. Won't spoil it here, but there's a chunk of time for her that would work perfectly imo
The years before RDR2? Sadie milking cows, chopping wood and cooking? Jk

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The years before RDR2? Sadie milking cows, chopping wood and cooking? Jk
I'd honestly play that lol

But really I'm thinking of basically when
she and Abigail leave Arthur and then following her in the years between the end of chapter 6 and when she meets up with John in the Epilogue. Show her bounty hunting days and all that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question that involves major spoilers for both games in the series:

Why is the mission with the Dutch and Colm meeting, where Arthur gets kidnapped by them, called "Blessed are the Peacemakers"? I know it's a quote, I think Biblical, but considering its what is engraved on John's grave, I thought they would've kept this for a bigger mission, or at least one involving John.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

Why is the mission with the Dutch and Colm meeting, where Arthur gets kidnapped by them, called "Blessed are the Peacemakers"? I know it's a quote, I think Biblical, but considering its what is engraved on John's grave, I thought they would've kept this for a bigger mission, or at least one involving John.

That's actually a hell of a good and astute question and one I'd like an answer to as well. Any takers?

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it had something to do with the Colt Peacemaker, a famous gunslinger revolver. Didn't know about its use in the bible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's sarcastically referencing the fact that neither one of them actually wants peace and the parley is a complete sham. I'm not sure if there's any relevance to John beyond the implication that the cycle of revenge never stops and will eventually claim everyone, which is what eventually happens to John as well.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I finished the main story and am currently in the middle of Epilogue 2. Going to try to finish it tonight.
I chose to go with John at the end and Arthur died on the mountain after a fistfight with Micah. I was already expecting that Arthur would die, since this is a prequel, especially once he got the TB diagnosis. There were also hints about John being playable at some point, like only being able to customize his and Arthur's lodging, so I kind of expected that. It makes sense to play as him since the epilogue seems to really be leading into the beginning of RDR1. I really hope I get to kill Micah with John, and I want Sadie and Charles to survive, but I'm expecting at least one but probably both of them to die.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finished the main story and am currently in the middle of Epilogue 2. Going to try to finish it tonight.
I chose to go with John at the end and Arthur died on the mountain after a fistfight with Micah. I was already expecting that Arthur would die, since this is a prequel, especially once he got the TB diagnosis. There were also hints about John being playable at some point, like only being able to customize his and Arthur's lodging, so I kind of expected that. It makes sense to play as him since the epilogue seems to really be leading into the beginning of RDR1. I really hope I get to kill Micah with John, and I want Sadie and Charles to survive, but I'm expecting at least one but probably both of them to die.

Hold onto your butt.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Have fun. Let us know what you think of the final missions.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Hold onto your butt.
Have fun. Let us know what you think of the final missions.
Ok I had time to do a few more missions. I'm now at the part where
John is reunited with Abigail and Jack at the ranch, and I also did the mission where you go fishing with Jack and Rufus gets bitten by a snake. I'm pretty sure I only have a few missions left, so I'm expecting some major shit to go down soon (like, imminently).
I'll finish the rest tonight.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Credits are rolling for me right now. What a fucking incredible gaming experience. Probably won't ever forget it.

Grew really attached to the whole damn cast.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I have a few general questions after beating the game.

-What happens to uncle in RDR1? I don't remember much.
-I honestly can't remember why John has to go after Dutch's gang, nor do I remember Dutch much in it. Any one have a good answer?
-How much of the RDR1 territory is available to explore in this game? I got chills when I did that mission with Sadie and saw New Austin and that church.
Yeah. Absolutely sucks that we most likely won't get any SP DLC for any of gang members.
Not even Sadie or Charles? Damn.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have a few general questions after beating the game.

-What happens to uncle in RDR1? I don't remember much.
-I honestly can't remember why John has to go after Dutch's gang, nor do I remember Dutch much in it. Any one have a good answer?
-How much of the RDR1 territory is available to explore in this game? I got chills when I did that mission with Sadie and saw New Austin and that church.

Not even Sadie or Charles? Damn.

Uncle dies during the last mission, when the FBI storm the ranch at Beecher's Hope. Him and John see them coming from over the hill, they get Jack and Abigail to go the house. After a firefight, they get back to the house, Jack comes out to help, and Uncle gets shot on the front porch.

Edgar Ross takes Abigail and Jack, and uses that as leverage to get John to hunt and kill the last remaining members of his gang, so Bill, Javier and Dutch.

Dutch shows up towards the end, after Mexico/when you get back to Blackwater. He's only in a few missions, and he's unhinged. He takes and kills a hostage in Blackwater, and he is up in a camp north of Tall Trees, where he has a gang of Indians helping him. John goes after him, and chases him to a cliff, where Dutch talks about how the West is changing, before he walks off the edge. At the bottom, Ross uses John's gun to shoot him, saying it'll look better on the records the way, and tells him his family is back at the ranch.

Location wise, the entirety of America from RDR is in RDR2, it's just Mexico that isn't available. There are some differences though, like I don't think the camp Dutch has in Tall Trees is there for example, and Armadillo is different for example.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Uncle dies during the last mission, when the FBI storm the ranch at Beecher's Hope. Him and John see them coming from over the hill, they get Jack and Abigail to go the house. After a firefight, they get back to the house, Jack comes out to help, and Uncle gets shot on the front porch.

Edgar Ross takes Abigail and Jack, and uses that as leverage to get John to hunt and kill the last remaining members of his gang, so Bill, Javier and Dutch.

Dutch shows up towards the end, after Mexico/when you get back to Blackwater. He's only in a few missions, and he's unhinged. He takes and kills a hostage in Blackwater, and he is up in a camp north of Tall Trees, where he has a gang of Indians helping him. John goes after him, and chases him to a cliff, where Dutch talks about how the West is changing, before he walks off the edge. At the bottom, Ross uses John's gun to shoot him, saying it'll look better on the records the way, and tells him his family is back at the ranch.

Location wise, the entirety of America from RDR is in RDR2, it's just Mexico that isn't available. There are some differences though, like I don't think the camp Dutch has in Tall Trees is there for example, and Armadillo is different for example.
Just a minor expansion on some locations:
Quite a few of the towns from RDR 1 that are available to visit in RDR 2 have significant changes. Armadillo is basically the equivalent of Valentine in RDR 1, but a veritable ghost town in RDR 2 thanks to the plague. Tumbleweed is a complete ghost town in RDR 1, but a fully functioning town in RDR 2. Rathskeller Fork was a save spot in RDR 1; it is private property in RDR 2. Thieve's Landing was a full-fledged town in RDR 1, but it's basically just a gang fortress in RDR 2. Blackwater and MacFarlane Ranch don't have all the buildings from RDR 1, suggesting that some of them are still being built or are yet to begin construction. Cochinay doesn't exist in RDR 2. I wanted to say that Manzanita Post was different, but apparently they're actually basically the same with the exception of there's no purchasable property there in RDR 2 (in RDR 1, you could get a cabin near the general store). I haven't actually been over to Plainview, so I don't know if that camp exists in RDR 2 or not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just a minor expansion on some locations:
Quite a few of the towns from RDR 1 that are available to visit in RDR 2 have significant changes. Armadillo is basically the equivalent of Valentine in RDR 1, but a veritable ghost town in RDR 2 thanks to the plague. Tumbleweed is a complete ghost town in RDR 1, but a fully functioning town in RDR 2. Rathskeller Fork was a save spot in RDR 1; it is private property in RDR 2. Thieve's Landing was a full-fledged town in RDR 1, but it's basically just a gang fortress in RDR 2. Blackwater and MacFarlane Ranch don't have all the buildings from RDR 1, suggesting that some of them are still being built or are yet to begin construction. Cochinay doesn't exist in RDR 2. I wanted to say that Manzanita Post was different, but apparently they're actually basically the same with the exception of there's no purchasable property there in RDR 2 (in RDR 1, you could get a cabin near the general store). I haven't actually been over to Plainview, so I don't know if that camp exists in RDR 2 or not.

The fun part about Blackwater is that a lot of the missing buildings are actually under construction in 2.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I finished Epilogue 2 last night.
I thought the ending was great. It connected perfectly to RDR1. I thought it was cool that it showed where the characters who left the gang near the end of chapter 6 ended up during the credits. Also went 3/3 on what I said I wanted in the other post. Sadie and Charles both (presumably) survived and John got to kill Micah (with Dutch's help). I also like how you just get $20K at the end so you don't have to worry about money anymore. I just bought the last 2 satchels I needed (Kit and LotE), much less time consuming than going hunting. I still have a shitload of stuff to do with all of the challenges/collectibles. I'm going to try to go for 100%, I think right now I'm a little over 85% done.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I finished Epilogue 2 last night.
I thought the ending was great. It connected perfectly to RDR1. I thought it was cool that it showed where the characters who left the gang near the end of chapter 6 ended up during the credits. Also went 3/3 on what I said I wanted in the other post. Sadie and Charles both (presumably) survived and John got to kill Micah (with Dutch's help). I also like how you just get $20K at the end so you don't have to worry about money anymore. I just bought the last 2 satchels I needed (Kit and LotE), much less time consuming than going hunting. I still have a shitload of stuff to do with all of the challenges/collectibles. I'm going to try to go for 100%, I think right now I'm a little over 85% done.

The best thing about the credits is you can

Go to those locations if you haven't already and have a conversation with the people depicted. Nice touch.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait really?? All of them?

Damn, loading up my postgame save tonight then.

I haven't done all of them but
I walked into Rhodes on the way back to Beecher's Hope and was like "Oh, this is where Pearson was supposed to have opened his grocery store. But they wouldnt have included that level of detail, would they?" They did haha and all the other ones I've tried have worked too.

I guess Karen drank herself to death though. Or she was a rat. No word about her sadly.

Strauss gets wrapped up with a conversation with Charles in St-Denis at least.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I walked into Rhodes on the way back to Beecher's Hope and was like "Oh, this is where Pearson was supposed to have opened his grocery store. But they wouldnt have included that level of detail, would they?" They did haha and all the other ones I've tried have worked too.

I guess Karen drank herself to death though. Or she was a rat. No word about her sadly.

Wow. That's neat. Haven't seen those.

I did find some of them on my own. Mary-Beth, Rains Fall, the angry dude in Rhodes, the fake veteran in Valentine, Tilly in Saint Denis. Do you know if you can find Mary Linton anywhere?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Either Mary Beth or Tilly (I forget which) confirms Karen died a drunk, I believe.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. That's neat. Haven't seen those.

I did find some of them on my own. Mary-Beth, Rains Fall, the angry dude in Rhodes, the fake veteran in Valentine, Tilly in Saint Denis. Do you know if you can find Mary Linton anywhere?

As far as I know the last we see of
Mary Linton is when she's researching TB and then when she's finally visiting Arthur's grave. I would've loved another scene with her though. For such a simple and not very original love story it came off as very genuine to me.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
It looks like it shows your play time on Social Club now. For me it says 3 days 6 hours 7 minutes, so that PlayStation email was definitely including idle time.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It looks like it shows your play time on Social Club now. For me it says 3 days 6 hours 7 minutes, so that PlayStation email was definitely including idle time.
Does it include all playtime or just on that specific playthrough? My total time is given as 2 days, 23 hours, 17 minutes, but it also has me at 54.9% completion, which suggests that it's only considering my most recent save. I also have a playthrough at 81.9% completion with the story finished. I would venture a guess that I'm at least double what's reported.

Whoa, the Social Club for this is much cooler than I expected. You can buy stuff through Social Club and have it delivered to you ingame automatically? Looks like I'll be trying on some new outfits.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Does it include all playtime or just on that specific playthrough? My total time is given as 2 days, 23 hours, 17 minutes, but it also has me at 54.9% completion, which suggests that it's only considering my most recent save. I also have a playthrough at 81.9% completion with the story finished. I would venture a guess that I'm at least double what's reported.
I've only been doing one playthrough the entire time, so I can't say for sure, but from what you're saying it sounds like it only counts the most recent playthrough.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Regarding one of the characters you can talk to after the credits, putting in a separate spoiler tag
I just talked to Rains Fall in Annesburg and my honor level went up a fuckton

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Chapter 6.

I have to say that I think Arthur Morgan as a character may be the video game equivalent of Tony Soprano or Don Draper. What I mean by that is that the Sopranos and Mad Men, for all their ensemble cast, were largely deep character studies of those 2 characters, respectively (and they are sister series, as Mad Men was created by a Sopranos guy). I mean they put you deep inside their moral dilemmas in those series, even into their dreams.

I'm not sure that I've ever played a game where the protagonist had such a deep character study, and in a way that TV can't do, a lot of that played out through you the player. This is a different way of deep diving a character too from most RPG where you watch the story develop, I think you feel it more as you not only watch but feel like you are Arthur. You feel Arthur's dilemmas and attachments to characters, and they even make you fee respect/likability for Dutch and then feel that slowly erode.

For these reasons I'm saddened a bit that so many gave up on the game because of the intentional slow pacing (necessary IMO to put you in Morgan's shoes, and make you feel the slow erosion of his world) or the somewhat clunky fighting mechanics ( true for hand to hand but over-stated IMO for gunplay which was rewarding for me, though I changed the presets). They really missed some special story telling and character development that is unlike most anything I've felt in gaming.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished chapter 6, latter half of the game is so much better than the first half

Dunno if I'm going to play the epilogue

Definitely play the epilogue. It's very nicely done.

It bugs me for some reason that a lot of people write it off. Maybe it's the way it's written? If it was Chapter 7 then maybe more people would stick with it? Or maybe people are just burned out on a long game. Not sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

It bugs me for some reason that a lot of people write it off. Maybe it's the way it's written? If it was Chapter 7 then maybe more people would stick with it? Or maybe people are just burned out on a long game. Not sure.
I think there are a couple explanations.
First, the game gets very heavy and emotionally draining by Chapter 6. Once that finishes up, it definitely feels like you need to take a break before continuing. Second, the epilogue in the first game was literally just one mission, and then you're controlling a new character who is not as interesting as John Marston. So people might be expecting a rehash of that, as opposed to something that's really fleshed out and deep.
Of course, there's also:
Both games also kill off the protagonist you've spent the journey coming to love, so that puts people off wanting to continue. Jack Marston was a whiny shit in RDR 1; I didn't want to hear him going "work ya damn nag" while I'm wrapping up the last collectibles. Similarly, John Marston is whinier and more annoying after playing as Arthur for so long. If I fall in love with a character and you rob me of the opportunity to keep playing as him in the endgame, I'm going to be less inclined to continue.

People should still play the epilogue though. It's good.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think there are a couple explanations.
First, the game gets very heavy and emotionally draining by Chapter 6. Once that finishes up, it definitely feels like you need to take a break before continuing. Second, the epilogue in the first game was literally just one mission, and then you're controlling a new character who is not as interesting as John Marston. So people might be expecting a rehash of that, as opposed to something that's really fleshed out and deep.
Of course, there's also:
Both games also kill off the protagonist you've spent the journey coming to love, so that puts people off wanting to continue. Jack Marston was a whiny shit in RDR 1; I didn't want to hear him going "work ya damn nag" while I'm wrapping up the last collectibles. Similarly, John Marston is whinier and more annoying after playing as Arthur for so long. If I fall in love with a character and you rob me of the opportunity to keep playing as him in the endgame, I'm going to be less inclined to continue.

People should still play the epilogue though. It's good.

Agreed on both points.

I basically hit the gas and gunned through the story from the end of chapter 5 on.

Second playthrough I'll be putting most of my hours into chapters 2-4 wrapping up what I can. But then I'm one of the weird people who wants a second playthrough.

It feels wrong to
Keep playing after the epilogue ends and you have John relatively happy at Beecher's Hope.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Agreed on both points.

I basically hit the gas and gunned through the story from the end of chapter 5 on.

Second playthrough I'll be putting most of my hours into chapters 2-4 wrapping up what I can. But then I'm one of the weird people who wants a second playthrough.

It feels wrong to
Keep playing after the epilogue ends and you have John relatively happy at Beecher's Hope.
I completely agree. From a narrative standpoint, I feel actively discouraged from continuing to explore or do side content as John. He has his wife, his son, his land and his dream. It makes absolutely no sense that he would leave that behind to go chase down a gunslinger several states over that Arthur forgot to visit years ago. It also makes no sense, given the context of RDR 1, that he would explore all over New Austin prior to the events of that game just so he could find some dinosaur bones for some lady that Arthur briefly talked to 8 years earlier. It's pretty much the textbook definition of ludonarrative dissonance; the story assures us this man has found his happiness and sense of peace and the only thing we can do while controlling him is to shatter that.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I completely agree. From a narrative standpoint, I feel actively discouraged from continuing to explore or do side content as John. He has his wife, his son, his land and his dream. It makes absolutely no sense that he would leave that behind to go chase down a gunslinger several states over that Arthur forgot to visit years ago. It also makes no sense, given the context of RDR 1, that he would explore all over New Austin prior to the events of that game just so he could find some dinosaur bones for some lady that Arthur briefly talked to 8 years earlier. It's pretty much the textbook definition of ludonarrative dissonance; the story assures us this man has found his happiness and sense of peace and the only thing we can do while controlling him is to shatter that.

Exactly this. I mean, I understand player convenience but when Rockstar went to such great lengths to write and create this story ... would it be so bad if the game just ended? No ability to free roam?

Would the internet set fire though?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this up again, chapter 3.

I remember reading before that it is recommended to keep your gold bars & ingots until you specifically need the money to spend, am I remembering right? Something like bounties dependent on your liquid wealth,and you can only be robbed for your liquid wealth too meaning gold bars and ingots are basically just safe money.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
This might sound a little sick, but what type of weapons or/and ammunition do I need to blow limbs off?. I've seen many videos on YT and thought, looks fun!.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Currently playing through epilogue 1 and its moving along nicely. I thought I was getting a little open-world fatigue at the end of the game and after how long Chapter 6 was, I was a bit worried about doing two epilogues. So far though the pacing is better than the main story though and its refreshed the game for me.

And that first song was really special. Up there with some of the other music sequences.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game today.
It took 96 hours and finished with around 86% overall completion.

Loved the ending to Chapter 6.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So...

Did anyone else find the Strange Man's cabin in LeMoyne? What a cool, cool easter egg.