• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
So I went to the snowy section of the map, had my winter gunslinger outfit on, however I noticed the heart health icon flashing and dropping still. Once I made it there and settled it stopped flashing.

Something completely unrelated :).

Such a great looking game. You could easily spend hours roaming around.

http:///9sed.pnghttp:///Bsed.png

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
People complain about the main missions but this game is at its peak with literally zero HUD where you're just aimlessly roaming around hunting, finding collectibles and organically coming across stranger missions.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
(Just started the game)

So I lasso'd a wild horse that is significantly better than mine, and tried to lead it to the stables since the game doesn't make clear how tot transfer/acquire new horses. I got into a fight, died, and now that horse is gone. Gone forever, and it was way better than my current steed. :|

Wtf was I supposed to do, just transfer my saddlebags to the newly-tamed horse?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
(Just started the game)

So I lasso'd a wild horse that is significantly better than mine, and tried to lead it to the stables since the game doesn't make clear how tot transfer/acquire new horses. I got into a fight, died, and now that horse is gone. Gone forever, and it was way better than my current steed. :|

Wtf was I supposed to do, just transfer my saddlebags to the newly-tamed horse?

Take your saddle off of your main horse and put it on the tamed horse.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A few questions for y'all as I start my first play through:

-Horse item storage. If I store items on my horse then can I sell them from the shopkeeper sell menu?

-Any advantages to selling whole carcasses instead of just skimming them for the meat and pelt?

-Deadeye seemingly paints targets automatically. Is this normal?

-Is there any disadvantage to exploring major parts of the world early?

-Any disadvantages to not sleeping at night?

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few questions for y'all as I start my first play through:

-Horse item storage. If I store items on my horse then can I sell them from the shopkeeper sell menu?

-Any advantages to selling whole carcasses instead of just skimming them for the meat and pelt?

-Deadeye seemingly paints targets automatically. Is this normal?

-Is there any disadvantage to exploring major parts of the world early?

-Any disadvantages to not sleeping at night?
-Can't remember, but I think so

-I don't pelt that much, so not really sure about that one

-Yeah that's normal. It evolves later on.

-Some story inconsistencies, yeah. E.g. Arthur will act like he's never been to importance places even if you already explored them. Another noticeable one was that one stranger/side character is both an optional sidequest AND a part of the main story. So if you find and finish that Stranger branch first, Arthur will act like he hasn't seen this person in a long time when he runs into them in the story (which wouldn't make sense given how that specific story line wraps up).

-If you mean just sleeping at all, well then I think it affects your health and stamina, but not to the point where it was noticeable on my end.

Last edited:

HumanSmoke

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Well I FINALLY started playing this.

One of my disappointments of red dead 2 is that a lot of the buildings are locked and u can't go inside . But I guess that was the same with gta 4 and 5

However I did find a big mansion in saint Dennis and got inside by smashing a window which was a cool exception

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Random encounter in Saint Denis

Why doesn't the eugenics guy's head explode from a shotgun? I've tried more than once and it doesn't work.

Edit: On a more serious note, some of the challenges are a real pain. It would have been so much easier if they were all doable at once instead of having to complete one to unlock the next.

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm in Chapter 4 now, and I think I've made the jump from really liking the game to loving it. I'm enjoying the story quite a bit and really like the moments developing all the side characters in the gang, but I think like a lot of prior Rockstar games, the main attraction to me is the open world. Just something about riding around the world and taking in the atmosphere (30 hours in and still amazes how gorgeous it looks) feels very satisfying. Just a bit ago I was in the Northern part of NH and it started raining like crazy, so I made my way to Van Horn to find some lodging for the night. It's admittedly not one of the most exciting moments of the game (and perhaps rather a bit mundane), but I suppose I just appreciated how the game convinced me I was getting 'drenched' in the rain and it felt a bit cozy to finally find a place to hole up for the night (as dingy as it may be) before making my way back to Saint Denis.
Anyways, not really a big moment or anything, but just one of those little things that helps to make me feel immersed in an open world.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I finished the story, I'm left a little bit disappointed. Is there any point to play further?

I have finished the story and can play now with John. Can I do some sidequests or are they locked to Arthur?
Is there also a prologue?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the story, I'm left a little bit disappointed. Is there any point to play further?

I have finished the story and can play now with John. Can I do some sidequests or are they locked to Arthur?
Is there also a prologue?

You can get that done in a weekend if you just focus on the missions.

you can still do most sidequests, although some are locked behind certain chapters.
It's more of a prologue to RDR1/homage to the end game of that. If you want to wrap up the story but don't want to play it, I'd recommend watching a video of the very last mission. Most of the epilogue is solely about John starting a new life, but the very final mission wraps up everything nicely.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You can get that done in a weekend if you just focus on the missions.

you can still do most sidequests, although some are locked behind certain chapters.
It's more of a prologue to RDR1/homage to the end game of that. If you want to wrap up the story but don't want to play it, I'd recommend watching a video of the very last mission. Most of the epilogue is solely about John starting a new life, but the very final mission wraps up everything nicely.

Ive finished all the story
of John and killed Micah
I was wondering if Im missing out after that.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
So I finished this game during Christmas break, and I've had problems finding a new game to get into. They've been fun but MAN this game really was something else. Should I dive back in for a second playthrough? My only hesitation is that it really is a lot of hours..

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to have beaten the game, but I'm debating on stopping and starting over. Mainly because I had to rush to get to Chapter 4 while studying for a big certification, but now I passed it, so I have my time back. Think I might start over fresh and really take my time to get lost in the world with the side activities.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone seems to have beaten the game, but I'm debating on stopping and starting over. Mainly because I had to rush to get to Chapter 4 while studying for a big certification, but now I passed it, so I have my time back. Think I might start over fresh and really take my time to get lost in the world with the side activities.

How far are you into chapter 4? That is one of the best chapters to just ignore the main story and do side stuff.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished to the credits last night. I've been playing since close to launch, lol. Not sure how many hours I've put in, but probably comparable to what I did with BOTW (~140), maybe less but I'm sure I'm over 100 hrs.

I really enjoyed it, and am blown away by the story and the music. The idea of a 2nd run through is too much for me, because I take too long. For the poster that is in Chapter 4 and asked should I start over, that's a really tough call because I'd be worried about getting open-world fatigue and burning out on the game before you finish the story, and the story is really worth it, including the epilogue. I felt like the game did refresh for me in the 2 epilogues, but I focused on just doing the missions - whereas in the main story I would just do a few missions a day and spend most of my time in the open world. The missions are more tightly packed in the epilogue so that's easier to do without being distracted or having to travel far between them for the most part.

I think all together the RD series is about my favorite storyline in video games. If anything this game makes me want to play RDR again to pick up the story, but I wonder if the gameplay would hold up very well. Would love to see R* put RDR on the Switch, then I might do it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If anything this game makes me want to play RDR again to pick up the story, but I wonder if the gameplay would hold up very well. Would love to see R* put RDR on the Switch, then I might do it.

RDR defintely feels dated now. It feels more "game-y", if that makes any sense. Like going from GTA IV to a PS2 GTA. I certainly wouldn't say it has aged poorly, or is suddenly a bad game now this one is out, but I couldn't see myself going back to it, other than to finish off Undead Nightmare, which I never completed.

The horses, at least the best ones, also go like rockets.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I listened to the soundtrack today at work and boy is it diverse. I start to really appreciate it. My favorite is still the house building song which always puts a smile on my face. And the camp gang songs are great too.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
RDR defintely feels dated now. It feels more "game-y", if that makes any sense. Like going from GTA IV to a PS2 GTA. I certainly wouldn't say it has aged poorly, or is suddenly a bad game now this one is out, but I couldn't see myself going back to it, other than to finish off Undead Nightmare, which I never completed.

The horses, at least the best ones, also go like rockets.

I've been watching some videos on youtube of RDR story to try and remind myself of now the storyline ties in now that I've finished RDR2. I'd say graphically RDR holds up pretty well. But I do recall trying to go back and play RDR on my Xbox One a few years ago and quitting after the first try because the controls felt bad, particularly the horse controls which are well done in RDR2. I think I would play through it again, but only on Switch or some other future portable (unless they remaster).

I think I understand what you mean by gamey - RDR2 feels more like a long interactive movie, and yes there are elements that break the realism (getting shot 4-5 times and nothing happening), but its a smoother integration of story and gameplay. It doesn't have things like the meter bars for quick draw in RDR and the unrealistic horse controls.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I listened to the soundtrack today at work and boy is it diverse. I start to really appreciate it. My favorite is still the house building song which always puts a smile on my face. And the camp gang songs are great too.

That's the Way It Is
Cruel, Cruel World
May I (Unshaken)
Fire in Your Eyes

All of these are just fantastic songs that I would love even if they weren't part of the game, but they mean so much more once you've played the game. I'm ready for soundtrack to hit iTunes.

And yes, agree also on the house building song and the camp songs are great too.

Few movies have original soundtracks this great.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to take a boat from Blackwater to Saint Denis, right? Seems like a surefire miss by the team here... there's a steamship that you can watch that regularly goes from port to port, I feel like a character even mentions it in passing early in the game, yet, as far as I can tell, you can't travel between the two places.

I was just kinda figuring they'd unlock that once you "unlocked" Blackwater.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever been as touched by a video game as I was by this one. Sitting at work randomly thinking of the conversation between Arthur and Sister Calderon about to tear up.

What a beautiful moment.

Oct 27, 2018
I've just started playing this so read back through this thread (and OT1) for some of the earlier reactions, while successfully avoiding spoilers. Feels good to have so much ahead, still just milling around in chapter 2 like a total newbie.

The controls are janky are best, like really hard to accommodate. I recently played Hitman 2 and then going back to this was like "oh shit yeah that's like that, for NO REASON WHATSOEVER" but I'm slowly getting used to it. I swear L1 will bust on my DS4 before I finish the game though. The game looks magnifique though, like visually astounding, and I have wasted a lot of time just looking at stuff. Also spent all my early money on a nice outfit, because everygame is The Sims at heart, right? I barely get time to play games so I'm getting max 2 hours a night, so it's gonna be a long slog, and I find myself wishing I could play it more. Man I miss the days of 12+ hour game sessions when I was younger.

Oh, why is Hosea spelt like that and not José? Is that really a thing? Literally never seen it before.

Anyone platinum'd it?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I've just started playing this so read back through this thread (and OT1) for some of the earlier reactions, while successfully avoiding spoilers. Feels good to have so much ahead, still just milling around in chapter 2 like a total newbie.

The controls are janky are best, like really hard to accommodate. I recently played Hitman 2 and then going back to this was like "oh shit yeah that's like that, for NO REASON WHATSOEVER" but I'm slowly getting used to it. I swear L1 will bust on my DS4 before I finish the game though. The game looks magnifique though, like visually astounding, and I have wasted a lot of time just looking at stuff. Also spent all my early money on a nice outfit, because everygame is The Sims at heart, right? I barely get time to play games so I'm getting max 2 hours a night, so it's gonna be a long slog, and I find myself wishing I could play it more. Man I miss the days of 12+ hour game sessions when I was younger.

Oh, why is Hosea spelt like that and not José? Is that really a thing? Literally never seen it before.

Anyone platinum'd it?

On the controls I recommend looking on youtube or other areas of the internet on best settings to optimize aiming. You can make the aiming speed faster, cut down on auto lock, etc. I think there also is an option to make running one button press but I never used it. While you are in Chapter 2 that is the best time to do that and play around with settings. They don't really explain hand to hand combat really well, but circle punches, square blocks and triangle grabs.

Chapter 2 and 3 are probably the best time to explore the open world, hunt, etc. On hunting, learn to use the binoculars to identify perfect 3 star pelts and study the animals to know which weapon to use to preserve perfect pelts.

Overall, I would recommend playing a more honorable path, but you can make up for robbing, etc. by doing other good deeds and greeting people. You have time also in later chapters to up your honor.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

It's a name from the Bible. Biblical names were common in that era. Possible it alludes to him coming from Jewish heritage as well being from the Old Testament.

Literally no relation to the name Jose which is just the Spanish variant of Joseph in English.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

The Prophet Hosea is "The Prophet of Doom" in the old testament / Tenak / Hebrew Bible. It was definitely a more common name 120+ years ago than it would be today, but I think Rockstar intentionally chose the name Hosea. Hosea, in the game, is the wisest of all of Dutch's gang, similar to the Prophet Hosea being generally considered the most prophetic of the major Jewish prophets, at least for Christians... in the New Testament, the Book of Matthew references the Prophet Hosea in fortelling the coming of Christ out of Egypt, and returning to Jerusalem.

I think choosing the name Hosea for the character in the game is a bit of a metaphor, but... following the metaphor to its likely conclusion kinda makes Jack Marston into Jesus, while John and Abigail are Joseph and Mary... so... It might be a stretch.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever been as touched by a video game as I was by this one. Sitting at work randomly thinking of the conversation between Arthur and Sister Calderon about to tear up.

What a beautiful moment.

Agreed, one of my favorite moments in the game. Also helped that this was immediately after it for me.

CQQBQgR.jpg

Now... is that the same nun who runs Las Hermanas in Mexico in RDR1?

Is the Soundtrack on any major streaming services?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Awesome... also do you know if this conversation changes based on your honor level? Seemed like he convo with that nun and also with the Native American chief would have been instances where the game could change the conversation a bit based on how honorable you are.

One thing that struck me about the nun from RDR1, and from Undead Nightmare, is that as far as I can remember, she's really one of the only "good" or positive characterizations of a religious character in any modern game that I could think of. That struck me from RDR1, she's not stupid, naive, trying to trick the main character, or ultimately up to no good, she was just a genuine nun looking out for her sisters in the convent. In most other representations of a character like that, there'd be some malicious side of her really using her stature in the convent to do something nefarious, or what have you.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome... also do you know if this conversation changes based on your honor level? Seemed like he convo with that nun and also with the Native American chief would have been instances where the game could change the conversation a bit based on how honorable you are.

If you reach that point with low honor, you speak to the Reverend instead. You basically catch him leaving camp and running away. The convo is pretty damn depressing.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Not only the honor level, but there are two missions for Brother Dorkins in Saint Denis that you have to do. Only then do you get the nun at the train station instead of the reverend.

I actually kinda wish there wasn't variance there (and a few other scenes). The high honor conversations are so perfect and so deeply moving. Arthur talking to the nun at the train station is one of the best story-focused scenes I've seen in a game in a long, long time.

The low honor ones by comparison don't hit anywhere near as hard imo.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's why I recommend playing on a high honor path. Pretty much all of the story stuff later is better IMO with the high honor, and I think the game nudges you down that path anyway. Although I think you can be pretty bad through the first part of the game and have time to change your ways.

The conversation with the Nun is the best dialogue in the game. Going back to it later after you've finished the game......"helping people makes you happy. do something to help someone."......paraphrasing.....man, its special and more meaningful later.

The whole story and the epilogue and the ways it ties into RDR is just amazingly well done.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Soundtrack on any major streaming services?

Not as far as I can tell, although I think May I (Unshaken) is on iTunes and its the Deangelo version. The rest of the songs on iTunes from the game are covers. I looked last week but couldn't find a date for when the soundtrack will officially release. Don't know the reason for the hold up.

Most of the songs are on youtube if you want to listen.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's why I recommend playing on a high honor path. Pretty much all of the story stuff later is better IMO with the high honor, and I think the game nudges you down that path anyway. Although I think you can be pretty bad through the first part of the game and have time to change your ways.

The conversation with the Nun is the best dialogue in the game. Going back to it later after you've finished the game......"helping people makes you happy. do something to help someone."......paraphrasing.....man, its special and more meaningful later.

The whole story and the epilogue and the ways it ties into RDR is just amazingly well done.
"Take a gamble that love exists...and do a loving act"

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished what a awesome beautiful ride. Quirks aside I loved it all. I still am amazed of the world they created,just gorgeous. In my top 2 favs of last year,GOW being the other. Also the "Unshaken" cover by Christian is Amazing. Had it playing in the background for the remainder of my long rides through world till the end. Great job Rockstar!

https://youtu.be/Za2Ijm7Am5Y

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to see how many hours I've spent in this game? I'm closing in on the end of chapter 6 after what feels like a million hours, I'm just curious how long it's actually been.

That Sister Calderon scene mentioned above is my favorite so far.
Arthur's facial expression when he said "I'm afraid" made me tear up a little bit.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Is there any way to see how many hours I've spent in this game? I'm closing in on the end of chapter 6 after what feels like a million hours, I'm just curious how long it's actually been.

Arthur's facial expression when he said "I'm afraid" made me tear up a little bit.

As mentioned - on Xbox One, the achievements page will show your playtime. On the PS4 there's no time tracking function. However certain users have received email from Sony with gameplay stats - including playtime - but the reason and regularity of this seems random at best.

And yes; the Sister Calderon scene - wow. Great performances. So much more meaningful if you played the first game, too. Glad you're enjoying!

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017

You can check how many hours you've played on socialclub.rockstargames.com

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I really love the post-Credits

QTyIExg.jpg

I just thought it was amazing how post-credits, it comes back to John leaning up against the fence, gazing at the place he'd be buried at the end of Red Dead Redemption, as the sun is rising. It's like a really, really great nod to Red Dead Redemption and the start of that game.

You can check how many hours you've played on socialclub.rockstargames.com

Oh interesting they must have added that recently, I used to go looking for it and couldn't find it... and now it's right in front of your face :D

I've done very few of the ambient challenges and I'm at 2 Days 7 hours 5 Minutes... Although Xbox says I'm at 96.25 hours... so I wonder whose right.

I went through most of the game blind and I kind of wish I had taken people's advice and done the ambient challenges (Hunting, fishing, discovery, etc), in Chapter 3 or w/e it was. I didn't want to explore too far out of where the main story was taking me at the time, because ... I always feel like when you explore around and then the game takes you there later in the story and the charracter says like, "... where the hell are we Dutch...?" it feels a little fake because I've already been there hunting rattlesnakes or something. So I intentionally didn't go TOO far away from my main areas of discovery, until Ch. 6, which was fine, and then the epilogues. But now, I've got less motivation to to d alot of the challenges because the main elements of the game are over.

Last edited:

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Is it possible to grow a full-length beard with John? I was searching and some people on reddit were saying that Rockstar patched it so that John is capped at 7/10 or something, but I don't know if that's true or not. Even with Arthur I never managed to get it past 7 or 8.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Man, I've finished this last night after putting the second epilogue on hold for the longest time.
It's not that I was bored of it or something but I wanted to play as Marston a while longer, since he is my favourite character in the series by far and I didn't want to rush it.
Loved the house building mission/song/vibe.

I feel Arthur, Charles and Sadie are the best new characters to ever grace videogames in the last 5 years. What a great cast.
Also, while I'm going through an open-world burnout right now (couldn't finish Horizon ZD, due to boredom/repetition), this still kept my attention. I dunno, R*'s open-worlds are simply on a whole different level. I will also never get the people who whine about the gameplay, but eh.
Great game, will surely pick it up again to roam around, hunt, fish, whatever in the endless summer

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm early on in Chapter 4 and while God of War was great, I cannot understand how it received the GOTY awards over this. This is competing with The Witcher 3 for me as the game of the gen, the storytelling is just incredible and I can't put the game down. It's like this is the Mad Men of video games with so many great characters.