• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Can anyone help with tips to get feathers from smaller birds like sparrows, quails, woodpeckers? I've been using small game arrows, but I never get the option to "pluck", only to pick the bird up.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I had the same issue when trying to get feathers for crafting. Sometimes the game tells you everything in detail and sometimes it's a lot more obtuse.

Yeah, it's a funny game like that.

Also it wasn't cooking it, it was going into the satchel and "break down" the carcass. But I wouldn't have even thought about doing that without your reply so thanks again.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So after months of putting it off, I finally embarked on the journey with Arthur Morgan yesterday. Considering the response from most of Era has been negative due to the game's archaic gameplay mechanics, I was concerned I wouldn't enjoy it. However, playing through Chapter 1, I enjoyed every minute - the slow introduction to the gang; the dialogue between characters; the world-building; how beautiful the world is.

I've just got to the first camp, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips now that I'm about to continue the story?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So after months of putting it off, I finally embarked on the journey with Arthur Morgan yesterday. Considering the response from most of Era has been negative due to the game's archaic gameplay mechanics, I was concerned I wouldn't enjoy it. However, playing through Chapter 1, I enjoyed every minute - the slow introduction to the gang; the dialogue between characters; the world-building; how beautiful the world is.

I've just got to the first camp, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips now that I'm about to continue the story?
I would prioritize exploring the world and doing all the camp upgrades and crafting as soon as possible. Also do side quests as they come up. Most can be done any time, but some are dependent on where you are in the story. By early chapter 3, you can have a lot of the challenges and crafting stuff wrapped up.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Money is never an issue in the game, even if it seems like it to start off with. If you find yourself low on cash, either continue with the story until you earn a bit more, or look for other ways of earning it.

A lot of people spent a lot of time in Chapter 2, and you only really start getting decent payouts from missions in Chapter 3 onwards.

If you enjoy the world building, make sure to visit camp often: there are lots of cool events and conversations there that occur outside of missions.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

I think the majority of people love the game and it is many people's GOTY for 2018. Its just the intentional slow pace was offputting for some, particularly those that just want to go mission to mission and not hunt/fish, explore, experience the random encounters, etc. And if you want to try and rush through, its going to make the other parts of the controls irritate you more. The controls can be improved in the options menu - look up some settings on youtube and try them out - Chapter 2 is a good place to experiment with control settings and get used to something. You can do things like lower the auto lock-on and improve aiming speed, so you have more control and flexibility.

The story is really top notch and rewarding, as is the music. Chapter 2 and 3 are the best time to explore, but don't overdo it and get burned out because Chapter 6 is really long and the epilogues are worth doing as well.

In terms of story, I recommend a more honorable path. But that doesn't mean you can't play around with doing dastardly things, particularly in Chapter 2 and 3. To me its worth doing things like robbing stores and wagons just for the experience, and some of that type stuff you'll do in the story - you are an outlaw gang. But lean more towards doing good so that you can maximize your honor in the late Chapters. Its actually easy to make up for the bad stuff you do outside the main missions just by greeting people in towns. When you are in a mission, I would default to doing the honorable thing when choices are presented to you, that seems like where most honor is earned - I think at a certain point earlier in the game it kinda caps your honor and you can't move up until some story stuff - at least that was my experience.

Learn the slow quick draw dead-eye, which you can do just by slowly pulling in the right trigger when your gun is holstered. Some of the optional duels will teach you this, but I think its one of the coolest mechanics and its nice to use for when you get held up on the road or in a conflict that is escalating to violence.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

The best tip I received when I was in your shoes was to change the default control scheme to the one listed in the OP. Do this from the get-go so you can get used to it.

I was never one of the people who had an issue with the default controls, but the tweaked settings really made a difference.

Take your time doing side activities during chapters 2-4. After this point the main story hits a fever pitch and you'll miss the simpler times of earlier chapters.

When exploring make sure you look at your map. The little squares are buildings and most of them have something fun or unique to offer - even if nothing formal pops up on the map.

Don't sprint around through crowds of people etc. The default movement speed is a walk for a reason. Act like you would in a real scenario. This is what lead to many people claiming they couldn't mount their horse without tackling people and other hyperbole.

Personal preference here, but try to avoid Ste-Denis until you end up there via the main story. It'll make a lot more sense continuity-wise and I found it was great having that to look forward to.

Take your time! It's a long epic of a game. Soak it all in. It took most players 80-100 hours to complete. It took me 150 hours. If you try to burn through it it will burn you out.

Beware the bayou at night.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
So, I finally started to play this game - after around 7-8 hours I'm still in chapter 2 (probably also pretty much at the beginning, since there are still tons of missions for me to do) and luckily after a quite rough and slow start finally everything seems to click for me! Now that the world opened up more, it seems just atmospheric to ride around, pick up your challenges and explore the world. It's really great! It's just so overwhelming... apart from this huge world there seem to be so many options in terms of crafting and collecting.... I don't even know if I really wanna engage in it, because it just seems so huge, lol. Is crafting / cooking really a huge part of the game or will I be able to continue through everything without really improving my weapons, bags etc. I guess doing challenges will be pretty important, right?

Two questions so far (there will be probably a ton more later):
1. I met an NPC who gave me the advice to rob a certain place (forgot the name unfortunately) - I was convinced that it would mark it on my map, but it never happened, so now I don't know how to proceed. I once got into some sort of menu, where it would summerize my talk with the NPC + the location information, but I don't know how to get back in this menue. (It was a menu where you could also swipe though your current open challenges.

2. I met another question mark NPC - an archeleogist -, but unfortunately something happened that made her run away. Maybe I pulled my gun? I don't even remember, but I couldn't make her stay via the command (does the command even do anything?! It didn't let me stop any witnesses either...) So basically: did I already fuck up or will she be later there again, so I'll have another chance?

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
So, I finally started to play this game - after around 7-8 hours I'm still in chapter 2 (probably also pretty much at the beginning, since there are still tons of missions for me to do) and luckily after a quite rough and slow start finally everything seems to click for me! Now that the world opened up more, it seems just atmospheric to ride around, pick up your challenges and explore the world. It's really great! It's just so overwhelming... apart from this huge world there seem to be so many options in terms of crafting and collecting.... I don't even know if I really wanna engage in it, because it just seems so huge, lol. Is crafting / cooking really a huge part of the game or will I be able to continue through everything without really improving my weapons, bags etc. I guess doing challenges will be pretty important, right?

1. I met an NPC who gave me the advice to rob a certain place (forgot the name unfortunately) - I was convinced that it would mark it on my map, but it never happened, so now I don't know how to proceed. I once got into some sort of menu, where it would summerize my talk with the NPC + the location information, but I don't know how to get back in this menue. (It was a menu where you could also swipe though your current open challenges.

2. I met another question mark NPC - an archeleogist -, but unfortunately something happened that made her run away. Maybe I pulled my gun? I don't even remember, but I couldn't make her stay via the command (does the command even do anything?! It didn't let me stop any witnesses either...) So basically: did I already fuck up or will she be later there again, so I'll have another chance?
I don't know the answer to your second question, but press left on the d-pad to open the log.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
You can easily play the entire game without doing a single challenge or any crafting. Which is not to say you should ignore them. Just don't worry about them if you feel they're particularly onerous.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, I only really started the satchel upgrade crafting once I'd finished, and I never had an issue in the main game.
After you've completed the main story, you can just buy the satchel upgrades at the fence. Honestly, the crafting and the challenges are two of my biggest gripes with the game; they are both implemented so poorly that you have to go completely out of your way to do them at all, the perks they unlock are completely unnecessary, and they require an absurd investment of time doing gameplay loops that aren't fun (I like the minigames but fuck the gambler challenges). And the challenges are all built backwards! The third weapons expert challenge is killing birds of prey with a tomahawk, which is not easy. The eighth challenge is simply killing people with a shotgun which you can start doing within the first few missions of the game. But the challenges have to be completed sequentially. It is an absolutely fucking rubbish design decision.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

On #1 usually they will tell you where it is, but there is no marker. If you press left on d-pad and pull up the log it should have that in the log as something to do and maybe a picture of the house. But usually stuff like that will say, its North of X town. So go to X town and start heading north if you want to find it. Takes some exploration, but these are totally optional.

Man, that archaeologist stuff - I know I played well over 100 hours and found like 2/30 bones. Maybe I was missing something, but like was said, check the log and see if that mission is there. If not maybe revisit that location later. Treasure hunting maps are more worth it IMO. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are doing full completionist stuff.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow the start of Chapter 5 was really fun
and a nice change of pace from the rest of the game. I love the open world in this game, but it was neat to have a small linear subplot disconnected from the rest of the game's world. I don't know how intentional it was, but it felt like a homage to Uncharted as well with the jungle setting, explosives being fired, and some form of militia after you. Very cool.

Also just finishing up the 'Fork in the Road' mission (mission spoilers below)

Before the event trigerred I went to the Barber in Saint Dennis to finally get a haircut and a proper shave and noticed Arthur's eyes were bloodshot. I initially just shrugged it off as Arthur being tired from everything that happened after the bank heist, but still seemed like something was off. After that scene played out certainly made more sense. Still felt a bit sudden to hear the news (honestly never expected that to happen in this game), but I'm guessing there were other clues beforehand to tie it all in. Game already mentions medicines will be less effective now, and it makes me super curious to see how it all plays out (though I suspect things will be grim). Makes me kind of happy I finished up most of the side quests I could in chapter 4 as I just want to focus on the main story now.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thank you everyone for your answers - one more question:

Right now, I need to find the Trapper and the game told me that I should talk to Pearson in the camp, because he might know where to find him. Well, let's just say, Pearson doesn't appear to be very talkative. I tried everything: talked to him during various times of the day, tried to anger him, tried talk to him by the butcher table, but nothing... Does anybody know if I can nevertheless visit the Trapper right now (for example if I look up online where his location is)? The thing is namely, that I want to finally get rid of the legendary bear skin! It's so stupid...I've been riding with this thing for probably more than 2 hours already and while doing so I can't load anything different onto my horse (I even, while doing a bounty hunter mission and realizing that I had to put the skin down in order to transport my bounty, led the skin ly back there and had to ride all the way back to fetch it after getting rid of the bounty). It's no fun right now - the skin feels like a burden. Everytime I die I have to reload my save file, because apparently the skin disappears after you die.

Oh, and another short question: how do I improve Arthur's life bar permanently?

Apart from that, I really like the game and feel incredibly immersed in this world. It just feels a little bit overwhelming for me at times. I have played for around 3 hours today and didn't even do any missions or even sidemissions just because I was riding through the world and constantly getting new impulses of what to do next. Sometimes I just can't decide what to do. I think next I'm gonna tackle the rest of the camp missions and hope that it will still be possible to do all the main missions after that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you everyone for your answers - one more question:

Right now, I need to find the Trapper and the game told me that I should talk to Pearson in the camp, because he might know where to find him. Well, let's just say, Pearson doesn't appear to be very talkative. I tried everything: talked to him during various times of the day, tried to anger him, tried talk to him by the butcher table, but nothing... Does anybody know if I can nevertheless visit the Trapper right now (for example if I look up online where his location is)? The thing is namely, that I want to finally get rid of the legendary bear skin! It's so stupid...I've been riding with this thing for probably more than 2 hours already and while doing so I can't load anything different onto my horse (I even, while doing a bounty hunter mission and realizing that I had to put the skin down in order to transport my bounty, led the skin ly back there and had to ride all the way back to fetch it after getting rid of the bounty). It's no fun right now - the skin feels like a burden. Everytime I die I have to reload my save file, because apparently the skin disappears after you die.

Oh, and another short question: how do I improve Arthur's life bar permanently?

Apart from that, I really like the game and feel incredibly immersed in this world. It just feels a little bit overwhelming for me at times. I have played for around 3 hours today and didn't even do any missions or even sidemissions just because I was riding through the world and constantly getting new impulses of what to do next. Sometimes I just can't decide what to do. I think next I'm gonna tackle the rest of the camp missions and hope that it will still be possible to do all the main missions after that.

For the Trapper, I just found him by exploring. The nearest one in Chapter 2 is just west from Strawberry: it's just before you cross the railway bridge. The icon on the map is a paw with a dollar sign on it.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks! Finally found him and got my hard earned money :D

Another quick question: do I have to consider something when it comes down to perfect skins? Do I need to use special amunition or was I just unlucky so far? I think I have been playing for around 9-10 hours and I had only one perfect skin.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! Finally found him and got my hard earned money :D

Another quick question: do I have to consider something when it comes down to perfect skins? Do I need to use special amunition or was I just unlucky so far? I think I have been playing for around 9-10 hours and I had only one perfect skin.

This is something that is really simple, but the game doesn't explain to you. If you inspect an animal, it will tell you if it is poor, good, or pristine, and what weapon or ammo you need to kill it with. Just get a single shot (if possible) kill on a pristine animal with the appropriate weapon to get a perfect pelt.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they add all of Mexico in some future update. To see that area just beyond the river and see virtually all of the landscape modelled already, it makes me want to go there. I really wish they'd taken a little more time and modelled some of the towns, rather than just having that iconic fort... but it'd be nice if you could see the outline of Chuparosa and the major cities in Mexico, like you could from RDR1... even if they're low poly models like the fort, it'd make you really think that there's life over there. Still, having the modelled region just adds so much (Rather than just some random landscape, retconning Mexico from the world).

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
I have more and more fun with this game - this game feels very alive: I recently saved a man from a snake bite, by provding him with an antidote and now he recognized me back in Valentine and was grateful that he let me choose a weapon of my choice at the arms dealer. It's those small stories that really make the world breath (although nothing really wows me as much as the first RDR did back then - despite this being more immersive and more alive - but that's just because the Western setting at such a large scale was so new for gaming and already so well done).

What I still struggle with though is the decision to make most of the world map available from the very start. It's probably not the games fault, but with those typical Rockstar icons all around the world map it feels really overwhelming at times. I am probably around the 15 hours mark and still in chapter 2 with almost no story relevant mission done - most small side stories. What I liked about the the first one was the sense of progression, since it was divided in three still very huge areals and parts. Juggling everything (hunting, side missions, free rides, challenges, treasure hunting etc.) felt much more managable back then - I'm curious to hear if people here felt the same way.

After completing almost every side quest on the map so far I originally wanted to get to the main quests (remember, I'm still in chapter 2), but now I accidentally stumbled upon Saint Denis, which is another huge city full of possibilities and exploration. Whew, everything is so huge.

The only mission so far that I didn't like was to rescue Micah from prison, simply because it makes you a wanted man afterwards and you are forced to pay your head money if you want to continue exploring the world freely. On the other hand the drunken mission with Lenny was superb and visually very creative :D

One question: is it possible to level up Arthurs health bar permanently? I feel like I'm dying in shootouts (apart from the quests) way too often.

Also hunting...whew, I have now idea how it's even possible to craft all those items and elements. You need A LOT OF a perfect pelts, it's so time consuming and some of those craft items have huge requirements. Could anyone give me a recommendation on what to focus on? What items should I improve and craft the fastest that would help me through the rest of the game?

edit: Oh and and last question: is it possible to see the playtime for this game, either in the game itself or in the menu of the PS4 somewhere? I think the first RDR let you see it by saving.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Few questions as a newbie!

How often do I need to eat and how much in order to maintain weight?
And also, is there a 'required' or recommended amount of food you need to give to the camp? Whenever I go to Pearson he comments that there'll be "no meat left soon"...

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have more and more fun with this game - this game feels very alive: I recently saved a man from a snake bite, by provding him with an antidote and now he recognized me back in Valentine and was grateful that he let me choose a weapon of my choice at the arms dealer. It's those small stories that really make the world breath (although nothing really wows me as much as the first RDR did back then - despite this being more immersive and more alive - but that's just because the Western setting at such a large scale was so new for gaming and already so well done).

What I still struggle with though is the decision to make most of the world map available from the very start. It's probably not the games fault, but with those typical Rockstar icons all around the world map it feels really overwhelming at times. I am probably around the 15 hours mark and still in chapter 2 with almost no story relevant mission done - most small side stories. What I liked about the the first one was the sense of progression, since it was divided in three still very huge areals and parts. Juggling everything (hunting, side missions, free rides, challenges, treasure hunting etc.) felt much more managable back then - I'm curious to hear if people here felt the same way.

After completing almost every side quest on the map so far I originally wanted to get to the main quests (remember, I'm still in chapter 2), but now I accidentally stumbled upon Saint Denis, which is another huge city full of possibilities and exploration. Whew, everything is so huge.

The only mission so far that I didn't like was to rescue Micah from prison, simply because it makes you a wanted man afterwards and you are forced to pay your head money if you want to continue exploring the world freely. On the other hand the drunken mission with Lenny was superb and visually very creative :D

One question: is it possible to level up Arthurs health bar permanently? I feel like I'm dying in shootouts (apart from the quests) way too often.

Also hunting...whew, I have now idea how it's even possible to craft all those items and elements. You need A LOT OF a perfect pelts, it's so time consuming and some of those craft items have huge requirements. Could anyone give me a recommendation on what to focus on? What items should I improve and craft the fastest that would help me through the rest of the game?

edit: Oh and and last question: is it possible to see the playtime for this game, either in the game itself or in the menu of the PS4 somewhere? I think the first RDR let you see it by saving.

1) Id strongly recommend you only stick to exploring the areas where the main story missions steer you in the first three chapters. Going to St-Denis early kinda takes the wind out of the fourth chapter. Do a story mission, wander, add another mission, wander around there etc. This will keep you from burning out on just mainlining the story once you decide you've explored enough. It's a huge map so just hang around the region your camp is in in each chapter and you'll find it more manageable and progression will feel natural. No reason Arthur should be messing around in the bayou when his friends are all the way back on the plains.

2) health can be increased permanentaly by running, rowing boats, and fishing. However the easiest way is to complete the Weapons Expert, Herbalist and Master Hunter challenges and to consume the rare Ginseng Elixir which can be found by exploring buildings etc. Still, the game is designed to be beaten without any upgrades so if you're dying a lot try to change up your strategy.

3) Playtime can be tracked via the Achievements page on Xbox and via the Rockstar Social Club on PS4.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

And also, is there a 'required' or recommended amount of food you need to give to the camp? Whenever I go to Pearson he comments that there'll be "no meat left soon"...

1) You need to eat a hell of a lot of food to maintain a perfect weight. Literally three big meals per in game day. When you wake up in the morning eat, make sure you eat lunch, have dinner too. Even mix in some snacks. When you do eat, one little piece of meat isn't enough. Shoot for eating 3-5 pieces per meal and you'll stay around average/perfect. Meat is much more effective than canned food/ snack food. Still, the whole game can be easily beaten without eating at all if you don't mind Arthur looking like he has scurvy.

2) Donate enough food ( this goes for ammo and medicine and money too) to change their corresponding icons yellow in the camp.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Late chapter 5/early chapter 6 spoiler:

Just got the diagnosis and man what an absolute downer. It's more horrifying for this to happen than just being killed.

I almost want to go back to before the bank robbery and just stay there for a while. It just feels depressing watching him look sick and detioriate, in a way I haven't felt with a game before.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I just started my second playthrough yesterday! Going to take more time hunting and collecting this time. Feels good to be back!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've basically finished Chapter 5 but I kind of feel like I rushed through things not exploring looking for strangers,
and it just feels less fun playing as a sick Arthur now
, any recommendations if it's better to go back to Chapter 4 and complete anything?

ket

Jul 27, 2018

your weight hardly matters and you're not required to actually bring food to camp

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've basically finished Chapter 5 but I kind of feel like I rushed through things not exploring looking for strangers,
and it just feels less fun playing as a sick Arthur now
, any recommendations if it's better to go back to Chapter 4 and complete anything?

You've made it this far, Id just see it through now. I felt the same way but pushed forward.

In the future I'd just try to luxuriate during chapters 2-4 and wrap up everything you can.

Edit: there are no strangers in chapter 5 though if that's what you're asking.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Late chapter 5/early chapter 6 spoiler:

Just got the diagnosis and man what an absolute downer. It's more horrifying for this to happen than just being killed.

I almost want to go back to before the bank robbery and just stay there for a while. It just feels depressing watching him look sick and detioriate, in a way I haven't felt with a game before.

This is why I always advocate taking your time and really enjoying all the extra stuff during chapters 2-4.

Obviously that's hard to do if you don't know the diagnosis is coming though. For me after chapter five I had zero motivation to explore or hunt or anything as TB Arthur and basically just hauled ass to the finish line. I wanted to load a previous save (or even start a new game!) I was so depressed but I'm glad I stuck with it.

There's always a second playthrough.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
your weight hardly matters and you're not required to actually bring food to camp

I've discovered this through playing more of the game... but I really enjoy it. I love the realism of actually eating and providing for the group - it's a nice option to have to immerse yourself into the world even more.

Oct 27, 2017
So I started playing this yesterday and got to Chapter 2 where it opens up. I'm completely overwhelmed with what to do. Is it wise to continue the story or should I be doing something else?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So I started playing this yesterday and got to Chapter 2 where it opens up. I'm completely overwhelmed with what to do. Is it wise to continue the story or should I be doing something else?
Continue the story. It introduces new mechanics gradually which you can then play around with as you become more familiar with the world and the mechanics. Chapter 2 is significantly longer than Chapter 1, so you'll still have plenty of time to explore as you become more familiar with how the various systems interact with each other. By the time you've done 6-8 missions in Chapter 2, you should be feeling a lot more comfortable with how things work and you can focus more on adventuring and exploring (if you're up for that sort of thing).

Oct 27, 2017
Continue the story. It introduces new mechanics gradually which you can then play around with as you become more familiar with the world and the mechanics. Chapter 2 is significantly longer than Chapter 1, so you'll still have plenty of time to explore as you become more familiar with how the various systems interact with each other. By the time you've done 6-8 missions in Chapter 2, you should be feeling a lot more comfortable with how things work and you can focus more on adventuring and exploring (if you're up for that sort of thing).

Thnx will do that. Really enjoying the game so far. Feels like the FPS is a bit low but I'll get used to that.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my second, thankfully glitch-free run with 100%. Xbox says I've played 415 hours. Crazy that, having already spent more than half that on my first time through I still managed to find a bunch of shit I missed the first time, including a Stranger mission. Really trying to resist the urge to just jump straight into the first game. Have RE2, Metro, and Crackdown waiting. We'll see if I am successful.

Probably one of my favorite games ever.

Last edited:

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm about to buy red dead 2, before the sale ends on PSN. But there multiple versions of it. Standard edition and special edition. It says that special edition has "Bonus story mode content & weapons" and some other stuff. Is it worth the extra $10?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about to buy red dead 2, before the sale ends on PSN. But there multiple versions of it. Standard edition and special edition. It says that special edition has "Bonus story mode content & weapons" and some other stuff. Is it worth the extra $10?

Honestly, not really. You get one extra mission that lasts around 14 minutes, you get 3 guns for free early in the game, which is handy, but not exactly necessary, and you'll get them later. There's also a horse you'll get, which got me through the game, but it's not exactly the best horse in the game at all.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Honestly, not really. You get one extra mission that lasts around 14 minutes, you get 3 guns for free early in the game, which is handy, but not exactly necessary, and you'll get them later. There's also a horse you'll get, which got me through the game, but it's not exactly the best horse in the game at all.
Thanks for the respons. Will go ahead and order the standard edition. Fingers crossed, heard good stuff about the game!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, it's a mechanic that isn't even used at all as far as I can tell. I ate whenever there was a meal in camp, and occasionally just some snacks to boost my stamina/health cores, but never more than that. So, I'd eat say once a day if I was back at camp, and Arthur looked fine, seemingly didn't suffer.

I'd buy standard because I think the bonuses kinda make some of the progression in the game pointless, especially with horses. Good horses are one of the few things in the game that costs decent amount of coin early on, it's one of those things that completing missions makes you feel like you can work up to, to purchase.

Also the bonus storymode content was not much from what I've heard.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Honestly, it's a mechanic that isn't even used at all as far as I can tell. I ate whenever there was a meal in camp, and occasionally just some snacks to boost my stamina/health cores, but never more than that. So, I'd eat say once a day if I was back at camp, and Arthur looked fine, seemingly didn't suffer.
It's supposed to affect core drain rate, but honestly, if you keep your cores topped off (which isn't difficult to do), it really seems to make no difference at all. The only time I'd notice anything is if I'd been running missions for a few hours in a row without stopping to sleep (several days ingame time), Arthur's aim would start to get a little more difficult to control (similar to the missions where you're stripped of all stamina, minus the hazy screen effect). But I mainly kept up with the cycle of do a mission or two, eat, sleep, do a mission, because it gave me a nice rhythm to fall back on.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I'm doing the hunting requests and I can't find a damn woodpecker anywhere. From googling it looks like the most common area people have found them is near Roanoke Valley but I haven't seen any there either.

Edit: Finally found one and accidentally shot it with a regular arrow instead of small game so it was only good instead of perfect. Fuck.

Ok I got a perfect one. In between the E and M in Lemoyne on the map, right next to
the slave owner guy's house.

I was initially trying to look on rocks and trees and shit. It's much easier to shoot them out of the air.

Last edited:

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
So i've been playing for about an hour now. The cinematic cutscenes are amazing, the voiceacting even better and the story is peaking my interest. But man, is it slow to start... Right now following Dutch to attack Driscols camp i think.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I've been playing this pretty steadily since it launched and I'm right at the point towards the end of Chapter 6 where
I'm about to do a mission with Sadie and I think there are only a couple main story missions after that?

But I'm totally dragging my feet just doing random collectables and finding all the Points of Interest and stuff.
I know that Arthur dies at the end of Chapter 6 and you play as Marston in the Epilogues but man, I like Arthur and kind of want to just explore more of the world as him but I also want to finish the main story.
I always get like this with games that I've really been enjoying, where I get to what I think is pretty much the last mission or so and then drag my feet to actually finish the game, sometimes just neglecting to finish the game at all or coming back and finishing them years later.

Such a great game with such great character work. Its such a shame that Rockstar won't do any singleplayer DLC. At the very least I'd love it if RDR1 was remastered or just rereleased on Playstation- I know it would be a bit of a stepdown in fidelity from RDR2 but as somebody that has never played RDR1, it seems like RDR2 segueways pretty seemlessly into RDR1 which is cool. Everything I've heard about playing RDR1 using Playstation Now seems pretty mediocre, which is too bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So i've been playing for about an hour now. The cinematic cutscenes are amazing, the voiceacting even better and the story is peaking my interest. But man, is it slow to start... Right now following Dutch to attack Driscols camp i think.
The game starts out at a glacial pace, for sure. Chapter 1 is a bit of a slog. Chapter 2 is slow, but in a much more open way that encourages exploration. Chapters 3 and 4 are the game hitting its stride. Definitely stick with it at least through the middle of Chapter 2 and see how it grabs you. There's a couple gorgeous cinematic moments as you transition out of Chapter 1 that are just breathtaking.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Kind of want to start a third playthrough doing all the combat in first person. Ridiculous how we still haven't got one decent QoL patch though.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The first chapter in the snow is incredibly slow. And not even just in pacing, but like physically slow lol. 90% of the time your sprint speed is nerfed compared to the rest of the game because of the deep snow.

Once you get down the mountain everything opens up.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Once you get out of the snow region and into the proper open world in chapter 2 it is a night and day difference.