• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Thanks. I already have all camp upgrades which require money only. But I haven't been hunting yet, so I'm still missing all of Pearson's upgrades.
I guess I'll have to look for a guide or checklist or something. This is gonna take forever, isn't it?
Yes it will. I'll make it easy for you, as far as satchels go (all pelts must be perfect 3-star):

7 deer
2 elk
1 buck
1 badger
1 squirrel
1 panther
1 bison
1 raccoon
1 boar
1 iguana
1 beaver
1 rabbit
1 cougar
1 wolf

The other camp upgrades are cosmetic. They don't affect anything, but if you don't do them before the end of chapter 4, you lose the opportunity. The trapper stuff is always available, so prioritize Pearson's stuff. To make things easier, get the Legendary Buck as soon as possible, as the trinket it provides improves your odds of finding 3-star animals.

An easy way to get perfect deer pelts is to lasso a 3-star deer and then slowly walk towards it. When you get close, you are given the opportunity to execute it with your knife which always results in a perfect pelt. I wouldn't recommend trying this with a panther.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it will. I'll make it easy for you, as far as satchels go (all pelts must be perfect 3-star):

7 deer
2 elk
1 buck
1 badger
1 squirrel
1 panther
1 bison
1 raccoon
1 boar
1 iguana
1 beaver
1 rabbit
1 cougar
1 wolf

The other camp upgrades are cosmetic. They don't affect anything, but if you don't do them before the end of chapter 4, you lose the opportunity. The trapper stuff is always available, so prioritize Pearson's stuff. To make things easier, get the Legendary Buck as soon as possible, as the trinket it provides improves your odds of finding 3-star animals.

An easy way to get perfect deer pelts is to lasso a 3-star deer and then slowly walk towards it. When you get close, you are given the opportunity to execute it with your knife which always results in a perfect pelt. I wouldn't recommend trying this with a panther.

I can only store one massive animal pelt on my horse.. does this mean I have to go all the way back to the camp after killing elks and such?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I can only store one massive animal pelt on my horse.. does this mean I have to go all the way back to the camp after killing elks and such?
Correct. You can also bring a second horse with you to serve as a secondary pack animal for longer hunting excursions, but that's not necessary. Stuff that you donate to Pearson stays in his inventory until you use it to craft, so you don't need to worry about it disappearing.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
After finally having collected a few perfect belts, I wanted to grab an Iguana pelt for the materials satchel before returning to Pearson.
I searched for a boat and went to the northern island next to the second camp. It was night and I couldn't see well, so I set up camp. In the morning, Arthur woke up at the shore instead of the island. Great. And of course, the boat was gone. Not wanting to go all the way down to the Braithwait place again to steal another boat, I decided to just swim over to the island. Arthur drowned, and now all my pelts are gone? Fuck this. I have no patience for this kind of crap. Back to story missions.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
After finally having collected a few perfect belts, I wanted to grab an Iguana pelt for the materials satchel before returning to Pearson.
I searched for a boat and went to the northern island next to the second camp. It was night and I couldn't see well, so I set up camp. In the morning, Arthur woke up at the shore instead of the island. Great. And of course, the boat was gone. Not wanting to go all the way down to the Braithwait place again to steal another boat, I decided to just swim over to the island. Arthur drowned, and now all my pelts are gone? Fuck this. I have no patience for this kind of crap. Back to story missions.
It's a simple swim for your horse to make from the shore to the northernmost of the cluster of four islands. Just be sure to line up the narrowest crossing and pop a horse stimulant if you're concerned (you should make it with plenty of reserve stamina regardless). Then it's another short swim to the largest island in the cluster which is where the iguana are. There's also a hidden hat you can find on that island in a shipwreck.

Also, did you not have a prior save you can load? Because, yeah, dying loses anything stored on your horse.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man...I some how killed two horses in literally two minutes at Roanoke ridge...both times I was being pursued by bounty hunters...flew off the path and into a stream. I lived but they didn't lol I paid good money for my Arabian! Can you get them back or do I have to buy another one? My original horse also just like vanished after a quest once and I never found him again :(

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Man...I some how killed two horses in literally two minutes at Roanoke ridge...both times I was being pursued by bounty hunters...flew off the path and into a stream. I lived but they didn't lol I paid good money for my Arabian! Can you get them back or do I have to buy another one? My original horse also just like vanished after a quest once and I never found him again :(
Buy horse revivers at a stable; when your horse dies, you can use the reviver to get them back. If you don't revive them, they die permanently and cannot be retrieved.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buy horse revivers at a stable; when your horse dies, you can use the reviver to get them back. If you don't revive them, they die permanently and cannot be retrieved.

Yeah sadly on horse #1 had a tonic and got shot trying to get to it. Second I was out of horse tonic. The game is really kind of a life simulator/Shenmue. I just had cinematic camera on hit another horse with my horse and the nice lady I tried to take to emerald ranch just ran the fuck away. Lol

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

If you've made it to chapter 3 you can just

Buy a boat for the camp ...

[\SPOILER]

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Finally complete the Epilogue and the final credits have rolled (which should not be skipped btw!) What an experience, unforgettable.

I am almost certainly going to restart the game at some stage to get a save file in Chapter 3 when the gang is all good and they're at the lake camp. Not just because I didn't get all the updates... but this was genuinely the most enjoyable part of the game for me and i'd love to be able to hunt/fish/contribute to the camp to my hearts content. Genuinely, a game has never made me feel so involved in something.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to track legendary animals without using game guides and stuff?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What's the difference between the horse handling types and are they straight upgrades or just different preferences?

Also I did the gunslingers stranger mission but missed picking up the mexican guy's gun up by colter and when I went back to that spot it was empty. Does that mean I'll never be able to unlock that gun?

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm done with the game. It's been five months, hundreds of hours, and I've had a blast. Completed the main story a few weeks ago, finished the epilogue last weekend and I've since been tying up loose ends.

I did the few remaining side quests, I caught all legendary fish, I explored New Austin, I found several Easter eggs and points of interest I learned about after ending the story (
the monk, the manmade mutant, the Saint Denis vampire
to name a few), I said a final goodbye to surviving friends of the gang and I visited all the graves.

It's a relief, to be honest. I loved every minute but I'm ready to play something else. Only Breath of the Wild has ever commanded as much of my attention as RDR2. I think I'll enjoy some smaller indie titles for a while.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Is there a way to track legendary animals without using game guides and stuff?
Hosea gives you a map that gives some basic areas for some of them (although it doesn't include all of them). That will get you started on most. The others can be found through exploration. They all play out the same way. You'll get a notification that you've entered the territory of a legendary animal. If it says the animal is gone right now, leave the area, camp, and come back 24 hours later. Otherwise, activate eagle eye and look for a stream of yellow sparks indicating a clue. There will be three clues for each animal that unlock sequentially, at which point the animal will appear and you can kill it. Legendary pelts are always perfect, so don't feel bad about dumping 10 rounds into them to kill them.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else encountered a bug in the epilogue where you should be able to buy all remaining newspapers, but none of the vendors are selling them? I've completed the final mission of the game, so the last newspapers should be available to buy, but anytime I try to interact with any of the vendors, I can't do anything. It won't even pull up the menu to buy them.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Ok so I'm still not very far into the game, only in chapter 2, due to just not having that much free time as of late. For me the game has been really fun so far. I love seeing random NPC's just living their life and doing their own thing, coming across them as I travel, and the game itself is gorgeous. I've seen a lot of complaints that the pacing of the game is awful but maybe because I'm only able to play it in short bursts I haven't really felt that. The main reason I wanted to post in this thread however is because I just did the mission where I rescued Sean from the bounty hunters and brought him back to camp. Returning and seeing everybody celebrating. Gathering around the fire talking, singing, drinking, and dancing, it really made me feel warm inside. It was such a nice moment to include and I hope there's more like it peppered throughout. It really does a lot to make this group actually feel like people I genuinely care about.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I'm still not very far into the game, only in chapter 2, due to just not having that much free time as of late. For me the game has been really fun so far. I love seeing random NPC's just living their life and doing their own thing, coming across them as I travel, and the game itself is gorgeous. I've seen a lot of complaints that the pacing of the game is awful but maybe because I'm only able to play it in short bursts I haven't really felt that. The main reason I wanted to post in this thread however is because I just did the mission where I rescued Sean from the bounty hunters and brought him back to camp. Returning and seeing everybody celebrating. Gathering around the fire talking, singing, drinking, and dancing, it really made me feel warm inside. It was such a nice moment to include and I hope there's more like it peppered throughout. It really does a lot to make this group actually feel like people I genuinely care about.

There is more, with plenty of smaller interactions in between. There are so many, it's almost impossible to see them all unless you make an effort to stay in camp all day just to see them.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
How are you supposed to find treasure? I don't want to Google for answers. I'm trying to locate Jack Hall's second treasure but I have no idea where to look apart from whatever's drawn on the map - which is what I need to search for in the expansive world.

Similar with RDR1, you're just supposed to know the landmarks of the map sort of. They get progressively more difficult. I think it's easier to do ambiently throughout the story rather than all at once at the end as an 'endgame.' Most of the treasure areas are places you should pass through, OR they're just very, very distinctive spots.

For Jack Hall 2, the one that looks like a baseball diamond almost, it's very very very obvious when you ride by it. Like, I had Jack Hall Gang 2 in my inventory throughout most of the game because I did Jack Hall 1 around when I Was at the camp near by. But, I could never find it... I also assumed that it was outside of St Denis because it looked like mud flats, so I wandered around the muddy areas lookign for it... but nothing matched. FInally, I was randomly riding about in a region I hadn't ridden through, passed this spot that is unlike anything else in the game, and instantly recognized it from the map... and found the treasure immediately. I don't want to give it away because it's such an amazing spot in the game to explore. So, just a hint, if you travel near the railroads especially in the north western part of the map, you'll get close. The location is visible from the road, and when you ride past it you'll definitely recognize it. For more of a hint, the location is the game's version of a famous American natural landmark, or at least, a reimagining of a famous American natural landmark.

RDR2 treasure hunting is harder than RDR1 because the world is a lot more dense. There's one treasure map that has a drawing of ... like a Man on the Mountain type face on a rock cliff, and I assumed it would have been in the mountainous area of the map, so whenever I was in those areas I'd constantly be looking for a face-like thing on the edge of a cliff. But, that ended up being in a totally different spot and one that I rode by like 1,000 times but never looked at it with that perspective.

The treasure hunting is one of my favorite aspects of the RDR games. It's a component that I think they do so well, I wish they designed more of the game that way. I feel like they could have done outlaws the same way, or similar way. Like, you get a description of their last where about or description of where they probably are, and have to investigate it looking for them... instead of them just being a marker on your map. Things like treasure and the legendary animals are done in a good way, IMO, but others are just the total opposite.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Similar with RDR1, you're just supposed to know the landmarks of the map sort of. They get progressively more difficult. I think it's easier to do ambiently throughout the story rather than all at once at the end as an 'endgame.' Most of the treasure areas are places you should pass through, OR they're just very, very distinctive spots.

For Jack Hall 2, the one that looks like a baseball diamond almost, it's very very very obvious when you ride by it. Like, I had Jack Hall Gang 2 in my inventory throughout most of the game because I did Jack Hall 1 around when I Was at the camp near by. But, I could never find it... I also assumed that it was outside of St Denis because it looked like mud flats, so I wandered around the muddy areas lookign for it... but nothing matched. FInally, I was randomly riding about in a region I hadn't ridden through, passed this spot that is unlike anything else in the game, and instantly recognized it from the map... and found the treasure immediately. I don't want to give it away because it's such an amazing spot in the game to explore. So, just a hint, if you travel near the railroads especially in the north western part of the map, you'll get close. The location is visible from the road, and when you ride past it you'll definitely recognize it. For more of a hint, the location is the game's version of a famous American natural landmark, or at least, a reimagining of a famous American natural landmark.

RDR2 treasure hunting is harder than RDR1 because the world is a lot more dense. There's one treasure map that has a drawing of ... like a Man on the Mountain type face on a rock cliff, and I assumed it would have been in the mountainous area of the map, so whenever I was in those areas I'd constantly be looking for a face-like thing on the edge of a cliff. But, that ended up being in a totally different spot and one that I rode by like 1,000 times but never looked at it with that perspective.

The treasure hunting is one of my favorite aspects of the RDR games. It's a component that I think they do so well, I wish they designed more of the game that way. I feel like they could have done outlaws the same way, or similar way. Like, you get a description of their last where about or description of where they probably are, and have to investigate it looking for them... instead of them just being a marker on your map. Things like treasure and the legendary animals are done in a good way, IMO, but others are just the total opposite.
Overall, I agree with this, but I will say that I found the treasure hunting in RDR2 to be easier than in RDR1, primarily because the world is so richly detailed that locations are incredibly distinct. There were a couple treasure maps in RDR1 where it was just "here's a tree by a river" or "it's by some rocks" and that wasn't a lot to go on. In RDR2, there's nothing else in the game that looks like the location where Jack Hall 2 is. And even with the tricky ones, e.g. the rock head, there are clues elsewhere in the world to help you find it. I was stuck on that one, and then I randomly noticed a poster in the train station that had that exact landmark on it along with a basic idea of where it was on the map; after I saw that, I was able to find it in a matter of minutes. I was able to find every single treasure in RDR2 without consulting a guide (except for one time where I fell into a bottomless pit and died and wanted to verify I hadn't accidentally gone to a place in the map that shouldn't exist), whereas I had to resort to a guide for at least three of the treasures in RDR1.

They're definitely really well done, as far as treasure hunts go. And it's rewarding because they feel like they're tricky, but not impossible, which is pretty amazing given the size and detail of the world.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, I agree with this, but I will say that I found the treasure hunting in RDR2 to be easier than in RDR1, primarily because the world is so richly detailed that locations are incredibly distinct. There were a couple treasure maps in RDR1 where it was just "here's a tree by a river" or "it's by some rocks" and that wasn't a lot to go on. In RDR2, there's nothing else in the game that looks like the location where Jack Hall 2 is. And even with the tricky ones, e.g. the rock head, there are clues elsewhere in the world to help you find it. I was stuck on that one, and then I randomly noticed a poster in the train station that had that exact landmark on it along with a basic idea of where it was on the map; after I saw that, I was able to find it in a matter of minutes. I was able to find every single treasure in RDR2 without consulting a guide (except for one time where I fell into a bottomless pit and died and wanted to verify I hadn't accidentally gone to a place in the map that shouldn't exist), whereas I had to resort to a guide for at least three of the treasures in RDR1.

They're definitely really well done, as far as treasure hunts go. And it's rewarding because they feel like they're tricky, but not impossible, which is pretty amazing given the size and detail of the world.

Oh that's awesome on that rock head one... Had no idea about that but that's so cool.

ANd yeah, now that you bring it up, I forget how some of the RDR1 ones were not detailed at all. I'm now remembering the two in RDR1 that were really hard. One was just a river, and then a drawing of going around a corner, and there was a wolf drawn on it too. I put 2 and 2 together to know it meant "Rio Dos Lobos," the area of the US that has wolves in it, and eventually foudn that spot staring at the map. Another was one where there were two crumbling brick walls in the Mexico side of the map which was equally confusing. I ended up finding both without going online, but if those sorts of maps were in RDR2, I probably wouldn't have tried.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Does any of the money glitch still work?

Can I use my save game on an unpatched version of the game?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So I got gambler challenge 8 a couple nights back by involving a friend while we shot the shit and had a friendly drink. Took a couple hours, but we eventually knocked out that final "3-hit" game where we got 19 and the dealer busted. I thought Gambler challenge 9 and 10 were going to take a while, but I managed to knock them both out tonight, first by playing all-threes domino against Mary Beth in camp, and then cleaning out a poker table by being a chip bully (and turning a lucky nut flush on the river) in Valentine. So that's treasure hunting and gambling knocked out. I'm only at herbalist 9, but I'm guessing that's the next one to get wrapped up.

Whoever designed the challenges in this game is woefully outdated on the concepts of game design and needs to review games that get it right (Spider-Man is an excellent example). The person who decided that weapons expert challenge two (killing three people in 10 seconds with throwing knives) should come before things like killing a certain number of people with crafted shotgun ammo or a specific shotgun does not understand how videogames work and has no business being in the industry. This game has some of the worst "challenges" I've ever seen, and I've been playing games for over 30 years now. Jesus fucking Christ. It honestly feels like a labor of pure hatred to go for 100%, because some of the challenges/trophies are the antithesis of fun. I love the game, but some of the design decisions are just terrible.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I got gambler challenge 8 a couple nights back by involving a friend while we shot the shit and had a friendly drink. Took a couple hours, but we eventually knocked out that final "3-hit" game where we got 19 and the dealer busted. I thought Gambler challenge 9 and 10 were going to take a while, but I managed to knock them both out tonight, first by playing all-threes domino against Mary Beth in camp, and then cleaning out a poker table by being a chip bully (and turning a lucky nut flush on the river) in Valentine. So that's treasure hunting and gambling knocked out. I'm only at herbalist 9, but I'm guessing that's the next one to get wrapped up.

Whoever designed the challenges in this game is woefully outdated on the concepts of game design and needs to review games that get it right (Spider-Man is an excellent example). The person who decided that weapons expert challenge two (killing three people in 10 seconds with throwing knives) should come before things like killing a certain number of people with crafted shotgun ammo or a specific shotgun does not understand how videogames work and has no business being in the industry. This game has some of the worst "challenges" I've ever seen, and I've been playing games for over 30 years now. Jesus fucking Christ. It honestly feels like a labor of pure hatred to go for 100%, because some of the challenges/trophies are the antithesis of fun. I love the game, but some of the design decisions are just terrible.

I'm going through the challenges right now, too. Aside from the gambler challenges (five card blackjack hands is just asinine) I think they're mostly a lot of fun. It's just the execution is miserable.

Almost all my gripes would be satisfied if they were all available from the beginning and didn't require you to do stuff you've already done by arbitrarily moving to the next tier.

Like five bow kills on cougars ... I'd already done that to complete recipes and now the challenge unlocks and I have to go farm them for no reason? It would make much more sense for them to unlock in any order. It's not like the difference between unlocking an offhand holster versus a gun belt is a big one.

Also- horseman challenge - trample five creatures is basically just an animal cruelty simulator for no reason. Not a fan of that one.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm going through the challenges right now, too. Aside from the gambler challenges (five card blackjack hands is just asinine) I think they're mostly a lot of fun. It's just the execution is miserable.

Almost all my gripes would be satisfied if they were all available from the beginning and didn't require you to do stuff you've already done by arbitrarily moving to the next tier.

Like five bow kills on cougars ... I'd already done that to complete recipes and now the challenge unlocks and I have to go farm them for no reason? It would make much more sense for them to unlock in any order. It's not like the difference between unlocking an offhand holster versus a gun belt is a big one.

Also- horseman challenge - trample five creatures is basically just an animal cruelty simulator for no reason. Not a fan of that one.
They absolutely should all be available from the get-go. It is fucking mind-boggling that you need to kill three people in 10 seconds with throwing knives, kill three birds of prey with a tomahawk, kill four enemies with one dynamite blast and kill four consecutive enemies by retrieving the same tomahawk JUST to unlock a challenge to kill unaware people with a bow which I've been doing since the first couple missions of the game. Whoever came up with the challenge system in this game deserves to spend the rest of their life trodding barefoot on Lego. Why in God's holy name would completing challenges like "Sharpshooter" and "Weapons Expert" reward you with items that benefit health and not deadeye? Why do you get deadeye boosts from treasure hunting and picking flowers, activities that involve no shooting at all? I am legitimately furious at how shitty this part of the game is in comparison to the relative brilliance of almost everything else. Everything in this article is spot-on. I'm only doing them now because I've already played through the story once, and now I'm playing through it again so my wife can see the story and I need stuff to do while she's not around. And they're hot garbage. At least the progression of challenges in RDR1 made some logical sense. You can't even complete all the challenges in RDR2 until you've beaten the fucking game, at which point the rewards are useless. Like, just, how could you fuck this up so badly? It's utterly baffling.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Does any of the money glitch still work?

Can I use my save game on an unpatched version of the game?

I think they were all patched, but... just nominally playing the game you should never be poor.

I wished that the game had apartments strewn across the map rather than rentals, even if they serve the same purpose. I like the idea of owning property in games, ever since GTA San Adreas.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Finally. I've been playing off and on since release and managed to finish up chapter 6 just last night. This has been a weird one for me. Normally an open world game like this would completely consume me, but I just didn't feel compelled to keep playing. And the funny thing is I love pretty much everything about the game. For some reason it just ran out of steam for me around the middle of chapter 3. I think I spent way too much time piddling around with side activities early in the game. If I'd just stuck to the main storyline throughout, it probably would've been a much better experience.

The ending was good if a little unsatisfying, but I imagine the epilogues will cover of some of that. Something that's bugging me about the end of chapter 6:
If Micah was working with the Pinkertons, why didn't they swoop in immediately at Beaver Hollow to arrest/kill everyone?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Chapter 6 tonight with the best ending, amazing. This is the first game for me to challenge and beat The Witcher 3 for GOTG and even GOAT. The writing is certainly leagues ahead of any other game, and better than most movies released last year.

Unfortunately the epilogue seems to be kind of a buzzkill following immediately after that ending.

I loved God of War too but it's kind of ridiculous to me that it won so many GOTY awards over this.

Last edited:

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Finished Chapter 6 tonight with the best ending, amazing. This is the first game for me to challenge and beat The Witcher 3 for GOTG and even GOAT. The writing is certainly leagues ahead of any other game, and better than most movies released last year.

Unfortunately the epilogue seems to be kind of a buzzkill following immediately after that ending.

I loved God of War too but it's kind of ridiculous to me that it won so many GOTY awards over this.

I agree with this on the retrospect. Going immediately from how C6 ends to how Epilogue 1 begins, its just a bit weird.

It would have been nice to switch to John immediately after Arthur's death and then escape with the law and the remaining gang with Abigail and Jack, before skipping forwards in time to where E1 begins. This would've been more natural

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I agree with this on the retrospect. Going immediately from how C6 ends to how Epilogue 1 begins, its just a bit weird.

It would have been nice to switch to John immediately after Arthur's death and then escape with the law and the remaining gang with Abigail and Jack, before skipping forwards in time to where E1 begins. This would've been more natural
I disagree.
It would have been completely jarring to the pacing to have this long, drawn-out conclusion to Arthur's saga, culminating in the beautiful scene of him watching the sun rise for the last time, and then suddenly be thrust back into John in full-on panic "we need to get the hell out of here" mode. It was the perfect denouement to Arthur's story and I don't think anything could have improved it short of being able to actually fucking kill Micah (keeping him alive so Dutch can kill him later is inconsistent with Dutch's portrayal in RDR1 and completely undercuts John's animosity towards him; rather than keeping Micah alive as a villain, John's story in the Epilogue should end with his family being picked up by the Pinkertons who have picked up his scent based on something Dutch does, setting up the events of RDR1 and furthering John's motivations for pursuing Dutch at the request of his captors... that's a complaint for another time though).But I actually liked how the Epilgoue slowed everything right back down and gave me a chance to process the events that immediately preceded it; it was a welcome reprieve to a story that had been building in intensity for a really long time.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.
It would have been completely jarring to the pacing to have this long, drawn-out conclusion to Arthur's saga, culminating in the beautiful scene of him watching the sun rise for the last time, and then suddenly be thrust back into John in full-on panic "we need to get the hell out of here" mode. It was the perfect denouement to Arthur's story and I don't think anything could have improved it short of being able to actually fucking kill Micah (keeping him alive so Dutch can kill him later is inconsistent with Dutch's portrayal in RDR1 and completely undercuts John's animosity towards him; rather than keeping Micah alive as a villain, John's story in the Epilogue should end with his family being picked up by the Pinkertons who have picked up his scent based on something Dutch does, setting up the events of RDR1 and furthering John's motivations for pursuing Dutch at the request of his captors... that's a complaint for another time though).But I actually liked how the Epilgoue slowed everything right back down and gave me a chance to process the events that immediately preceded it; it was a welcome reprieve to a story that had been building in intensity for a really long time.

Yeah, I agree with this. I like how they paced it out.

If they picked up immediately where it left off, I think it would have been hard to process what just happened and the emotional toll of the game. RDR1 was similar, with time passing between when John died and Jack picks up. It also helps set up the epilogue scenes better when you run into your gang mates, time has passed since they've seen each other and nobody knows for sure whose alive or whose dead or what's going on.

Like you, I thought it'd make sense to lead right into RDR1... but I also don't mind how they did it either because it allows you to soak in being at home with John and the family, and also, it lets you explore New Austin to see the differences between RDR1 and Epilogue RDR2. Like, I love how Tumbleweed is the thriving city in New Austin, while Armadillo is ravaged with disease. I really like being able to explore to find differences... Thiefs Landing being an actual gang hideout, etc.

I only wish they made a little more effort with the border of the US and Mexico. Like, I'd love to see the train that crosses the border being in progress or something, like half built tracks going to the river... Or at least being able to see the structures of the towns in Mexico. I know that' dmake people want to explore it, or expect that you can explore it... but it's jarring to look across the Rio Bravo and not see any of the major towns, except for the one fort. I wish they just made simple geometric renders of them, similar to what they did with the fort. It just doesn't make sense that towns like Escalera don't exist when you look over from the US to Mexico. THough, I get it, there's limits to the amount of detail.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, I agree with this. I like how they paced it out.

If they picked up immediately where it left off, I think it would have been hard to process what just happened and the emotional toll of the game. RDR1 was similar, with time passing between when John died and Jack picks up. It also helps set up the epilogue scenes better when you run into your gang mates, time has passed since they've seen each other and nobody knows for sure whose alive or whose dead or what's going on.

Like you, I thought it'd make sense to lead right into RDR1... but I also don't mind how they did it either because it allows you to soak in being at home with John and the family, and also, it lets you explore New Austin to see the differences between RDR1 and Epilogue RDR2. Like, I love how Tumbleweed is the thriving city in New Austin, while Armadillo is ravaged with disease. I really like being able to explore to find differences... Thiefs Landing being an actual gang hideout, etc.

I only wish they made a little more effort with the border of the US and Mexico. Like, I'd love to see the train that crosses the border being in progress or something, like half built tracks going to the river... Or at least being able to see the structures of the towns in Mexico. I know that' dmake people want to explore it, or expect that you can explore it... but it's jarring to look across the Rio Bravo and not see any of the major towns, except for the one fort. I wish they just made simple geometric renders of them, similar to what they did with the fort. It just doesn't make sense that towns like Escalera don't exist when you look over from the US to Mexico. THough, I get it, there's limits to the amount of detail.
New Austin is mostly wasted. Sure, it's cool to see Tumbleweed as a bustling town or Armadillo ravaged by plague, but the whole area doesn't have much to do and it pales in comparison to the level of detail of the new areas. It ends up feeling tacked on and only included for nostalgia, which ultimately just feels disappointing. I would rather they end the game at the edge of West Elizabeth, which also works better for leading into RDR1 as some of the dialogue would make no sense if John had been exploring New Austin for several years prior to the events that occur in that game. It also means they wouldn't need to fill New Austin, an area that Arthur never gets to visit, with collectibles and challenges that prevent you from completing background content until you've effectively beaten the game. I want Arthur to be able to beat all the challenges and find all the dinosaur bones and not pass the buck to John to just hope he continues doing something that he and Arthur never even discussed.

And hey, while we're on a wishlist train, Arthur should have access to all of West Elizabeth in Chapter 6. Chapter 4 ends with a bank robbery and shootout that is worse than anything that happened in Blackwater; Chapter 5 ends with Arthur massacring a bunch of Pinkerton agents. SURELY that should lock him out of the state of Lemoyne the same way he is locked out of West Elizabeth by virtue of a robbery/murder that he wasn't even present for. And yet it's all just forgotten in Chapter 6... meanwhile, Blackwater stays off limits for no logical reason. Dump New Austin, toss a few remaining collectibles in West Elizabeth and let Arthur get them in Chapter 6 when he's no longer wanted in Blackwater because it's been like a year now and he's presumed dead at sea or unrecognizable from his illness or whatever.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
New Austin is mostly wasted. Sure, it's cool to see Tumbleweed as a bustling town or Armadillo ravaged by plague, but the whole area doesn't have much to do and it pales in comparison to the level of detail of the new areas. It ends up feeling tacked on and only included for nostalgia, which ultimately just feels disappointing. I would rather they end the game at the edge of West Elizabeth, which also works better for leading into RDR1 as some of the dialogue would make no sense if John had been exploring New Austin for several years prior to the events that occur in that game. It also means they wouldn't need to fill New Austin, an area that Arthur never gets to visit, with collectibles and challenges that prevent you from completing background content until you've effectively beaten the game. I want Arthur to be able to beat all the challenges and find all the dinosaur bones and not pass the buck to John to just hope he continues doing something that he and Arthur never even discussed.

And hey, while we're on a wishlist train, Arthur should have access to all of West Elizabeth in Chapter 6. Chapter 4 ends with a bank robbery and shootout that is worse than anything that happened in Blackwater; Chapter 5 ends with Arthur massacring a bunch of Pinkerton agents. SURELY that should lock him out of the state of Lemoyne the same way he is locked out of West Elizabeth by virtue of a robbery/murder that he wasn't even present for. And yet it's all just forgotten in Chapter 6... meanwhile, Blackwater stays off limits for no logical reason. Dump New Austin, toss a few remaining collectibles in West Elizabeth and let Arthur get them in Chapter 6 when he's no longer wanted in Blackwater because it's been like a year now and he's presumed dead at sea or unrecognizable from his illness or whatever.

Aye, agreed on a lot of it though...

I'm a sucker for nostalgia and loved... LOVED traveling around New Austin looking for similarities with RDR1 and seeing how they were different. I'm a sucker for that stuff, and loved going to points on the map just to see how they're different. Unfortunately, they were just so empty of things to do / people, etc, which makes some sense... but still I'd like to see more.

SOmething also that I liked is how RDR1 does feel more "open" in the environment to me than RDR2. Obviously, this is a difference of hardware... but the older hardware made the landscape more barren, forbidding, but it also led to these vast vistas of looking off into the distance with nothing but mostly prarie, plains, or desert in front of you. A lot of times in RDR2, while there were lookouts and so on, I always felt hemmed in by foliage, rocks, the design of the map... Now these were all really nice, it made for the ambiance, but part of me was longing for a wide open plain that isn't a dense forest or blocked vision of RDR1. I was glad to have that in the epilogue.

Also the videogame photographer in me just couldn't help snapping screenshots to compare RDR1 to RDR2. COuld help but get nostalgic when I first gazed from near McFarlane's ranch out towards Mexico.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's rare I feel like replaying a huge game like this, but I definitely want to play this again. All I want is an HDR patch and Red Dead remastered.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
On my first playthrough, I didn't complete a single challenge area (I got close on the treasure hunter side). This time through, I've managed to complete the treasure hunter challenges (really fun, I would have done them even if they weren't challenges), gambler challenges (UGH) and the sharpshooter challenges (actually pretty good except for the shooting hats thing which I learned doesn't work with selecting targets in deadeye after I murdered an entire saloon full of people). I still don't like how you can only have one active in a particular section at a time, but I admit that I felt a certain amount of pride in seeing the little pop-up "Challenge completed." And now I have my health, stamina and dead-eye at level 9 instead of level 8 or whatever, so that's cool.

Finally finished up Chapter 4 and started Chapter 5 on this playthrough so my wife could see what the hullabaloo was all about. It's still a massive WTF even knowing what's going to happen.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
After a month off I've gotten to sink another 10 or so hours into this game and damn, it's just so good.

I just did the mission in
where you're kidnapped by the odriscolls so they can set a trap for your gang. I thought I might actually die :lol. Got the couple weeks later screen and it looks like everything is going to be fine though.

When you save, what's the % mean?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After a month off I've gotten to sink another 10 or so hours into this game and damn, it's just so good.

I just did the mission in
where you're kidnapped by the odriscolls so they can set a trap for your gang. I thought I might actually die :lol. Got the couple weeks later screen and it looks like everything is going to be fine though.

When you save, what's the % mean?

Game completion.

Although it's total completion, not just story. But if you've been mostly doing story stuff it's a decent metric for how far along you are. If you've been exploring, hunting, gambling a lot then all bets are off.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Game completion.

Although it's total completion, not just story. But if you've been mostly doing story stuff it's a decent metric for how far along you are. If you've been exploring, hunting, gambling a lot then all bets are off.

Thanks. I've done a decent amount of exploring and hunting I think. I got the legendary bag in chapter 2. I think I'm at 45% or so in chapter 3.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
uhhhh

7AhoAfa.png