• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I downloaded a 10mb update.

Back when I installed the game in October though I played for about twenty hours and then the game randomly uninstalled itself on my Xbox and I was forced to redownload the 100gig game.

My save was fine at least.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it pays to have a sinus infection...just beat the epilogue. I loved this game as someone who has a hideously long backlog. I've said it before but once you think of it as Cowboy Shenmue it clicks. Amazing!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
1) why do hats that I pick up in the world never save even if I go back to camp

2) how long does it take for a bounty to go away on its own

3) is there anyway i can tell if i should bring my animal parts/valuables to camp, the trapper or a fence or if theyre just useless and to sell them?

4) how can I have owned and customized guns that still dont show up as owned in the magazine catalog

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
1) why do hats that I pick up in the world never save even if I go back to camp

2) how long does it take for a bounty to go away on its own

3) is there anyway i can tell if i should bring my animal parts/valuables to camp, the trapper or a fence or if theyre just useless and to sell them?

4) how can I have owned and customized guns that still dont show up as owned in the magazine catalog
1. Some hats will be saved under the "found hats" section of the hat menu in your wardrobe. These are the specialty and hidden hats. If you just take a hat that you knocked off someone's head, it's gone when you lose it (except for one specific NPC in Valentine).

2. They don't. You pay them off or serve time. They don't honestly affect much.

3. Pretty much just have to make yourself a list or follow a guide on the internet. Either way, they only take perfect pelts for crafting. If you get a perfect pelt, try Pearson first. If he doesn't need it for crafting anything (satchels being the highest priority) sell it to the trapper. If he can use it, it goes in his inventory, if not, you still get the money.

4. Are they pistols / revolvers? One-handed weapons can be purchased twice as you can have one equipped in each hand.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
1. Some hats will be saved under the "found hats" section of the hat menu in your wardrobe. These are the specialty and hidden hats. If you just take a hat that you knocked off someone's head, it's gone when you lose it (except for one specific NPC in Valentine).

2. They don't. You pay them off or serve time. They don't honestly affect much.

3. Pretty much just have to make yourself a list or follow a guide on the internet. Either way, they only take perfect pelts for crafting. If you get a perfect pelt, try Pearson first. If he doesn't need it for crafting anything (satchels being the highest priority) sell it to the trapper. If he can use it, it goes in his inventory, if not, you still get the money.

4. Are they pistols / revolvers? One-handed weapons can be purchased twice as you can have one equipped in each hand.
Thank you. And yeah I realized that you just need to spend all your money before being jailed and there's 0 consequence lmao.

There are a ton of little annoyances in this game and I don't even mind the animations. Stuff like Arthur not having an in-game list for where crafting materials go is silly, 4 custom outfits is silly etc.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also when's a good point in the story (no spoilers) to do a lot of the hunting and fishing and buying clothes and customizing guns and stuff

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Also when's a good point in the story (no spoilers) to do a lot of the hunting and fishing and buying clothes and customizing guns and stuff
Chapters 1-4 are the best for that

This really was my GOTY by a wide margin, I think it got absolutely robbed with so many websites choosing God of War. Although 2018 was an amazing year for games, with this, GOW, and Spider-Man, probably the best year in a really long time for great games.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I just failed a mission because I went too far away from a wagon to loot a body

Ok

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I wish the compass still displayed icons

Edit: wow i just lost multiple pelts because I died

Fuck me I sisnt even know that was a thing. Makes no sense, my horse was fine

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Try to wrap that all up in Chapters 2, 3 and 4. You can do it later, but it starts to feel completely antithetical to the narrative later on. There are some sidequests that only exist in Chapter 6, to be fair; apart from that, get them done sooner rather than later.

Also also how many times does hair tonic stack
Three per day. Take them, sleep for 18 hours, eat something (you don't want your weight to start dropping off), take another dose of tonics, repeat. There's a chart, which I think is still accurate:

2zBTG.png

I just failed a mission because I went too far away from a wagon to loot a body

Ok
This is a common complaint with the game. I didn't have this issue at all on my first playthrough; on my second, it happened to me more than once. It's annoying, but the loot you get is almost always pointless anyway. Oh goody, 2 dollars and some chewing tobacco. Almost useless. Don't worry about loot in missions; before long, you will have an abundance of money, ammo and tonics regardless.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Try to wrap that all up in Chapters 2, 3 and 4. You can do it later, but it starts to feel completely antithetical to the narrative later on. There are some sidequests that only exist in Chapter 6, to be fair; apart from that, get them done sooner rather than later.

Three per day. Take them, sleep for 18 hours, eat something (you don't want your weight to start dropping off), take another dose of tonics, repeat. There's a chart, which I think is still accurate:

2zBTG.png

This is a common complaint with the game. I didn't have this issue at all on my first playthrough; on my second, it happened to me more than once. It's annoying, but the loot you get is almost always pointless anyway. Oh goody, 2 dollars and some chewing tobacco. Almost useless. Don't worry about loot in missions; before long, you will have an abundance of money, ammo and tonics regardless.
I already have an abundance of tonics and I have to keep selling extras lol. I need to get some satchel upgrades asap. And yeah I wanna do it before the end of the game even if you can play after but I also want all the convenience, resources and sandbox open to me.

Maybe after the story moves to St. Denis

Edit: also about weight Ive been underweight practically the whole game but the stats menu still says my health is only -5%. Is that a bug?

And for the hair tonics thing it's interesting it stacks per day but I thought it also lasted until it wore off.... going from beard 7 to 8 has been a bitch.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I already have an abundance of tonics and I have to keep selling extras lol. I need to get some satchel upgrades asap. And yeah I wanna do it before the end of the game even if you can play after but I also want all the convenience, resources and sandbox open to me.

Maybe after the story moves to St. Denis

Edit: also about weight Ive been underweight practically the whole game but the stats menu still says my health is only -5%. Is that a bug?

And for the hair tonics thing it's interesting it stacks per day but I thought it also lasted until it wore off.... going from beard 7 to 8 has been a bitch.
Weight is ultimately pointless. A lot of the "realistic" components make virtually no difference at all. You can play the game without eating or sleeping once and you'll be fine. Your aim gets a little shaky, but otherwise you're fine. If you're interested in the role-playing aspect, try to get at least two hearty meals in a day and sleep through the night. The stew Pearson makes in camp is a solid meal option after you've upgraded the chuckwagon.

Do the satchels as soon as possible. The difference between 3 and 5 of any item is surprisingly liberating, and the final upgrade gives you 99 slots for everything, which is both silly and incredible. I've got like 75 big game meat, so I know that if my weight starts slipping, I'll just cook myself a handful of bear steaks and be set. As you work through the survivalist challenges, you'll also appreciate being able to hold enough ingredients to not have to backtrack constantly.

Now that said, this is a game that excels at story, so prioritizing that will still give you a great experience. Possibly moreso than trying to do all the challenges and crafting (two areas I feel the game really drops the ball).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Weight is ultimately pointless. A lot of the "realistic" components make virtually no difference at all. You can play the game without eating or sleeping once and you'll be fine. Your aim gets a little shaky, but otherwise you're fine. If you're interested in the role-playing aspect, try to get at least two hearty meals in a day and sleep through the night. The stew Pearson makes in camp is a solid meal option after you've upgraded the chuckwagon.

Do the satchels as soon as possible. The difference between 3 and 5 of any item is surprisingly liberating, and the final upgrade gives you 99 slots for everything, which is both silly and incredible. I've got like 75 big game meat, so I know that if my weight starts slipping, I'll just cook myself a handful of bear steaks and be set. As you work through the survivalist challenges, you'll also appreciate being able to hold enough ingredients to not have to backtrack constantly.

Now that said, this is a game that excels at story, so prioritizing that will still give you a great experience. Possibly moreso than trying to do all the challenges and crafting (two areas I feel the game really drops the ball).
Wow I had no idea the last satchel upgrades it to 99. That is absurd. Should just be like 10 of each instead of 3 and 30 of each plant instead of 10.

And the crafting is half decent but the pure amount of materials and money required for the trapper outfits is absurd.

I wish there was a ng+ that kept all recipes/upgrades and outfits

What makes aim shaky? Lack of sleeping or eating?

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't read through the thread but suspect I won't be alone in this... But I am on the verge of giving up on this game because of the terrible sluggish controls. I've barely started it - ten hours maybe? - but I'm just finding it an absolute chore to play. Controls feel heavy and sluggish, animations are overly long, and the actual controller mappings with all the button holds are just poor.

Did anyone else go through this and persevere with the game? Was it worth it? Or shall I just ditch it and go to my next backlog games (god of war and Spiderman...!)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ahhh I was looking up to see if there was notable loot for beaver hollow and got spoiled

Luckily it was something kinda minor about a side character i suppose

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If I go bald or get a buzzcut at the barber will my hair still be able to grow back?

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Once I finished my replay of this, I moved on to a replay of the first Red Dead Redemption. Man, after playing 2, RDR1 feels so gamey in comparison. :lol

That's not always a bad thing, too. Fast Traveling to waypoints from your campsite is a lifesaver. No cores to worry about is great. Horse deeds are very convenient. Not worrying you'll lose your weapon loadout when you jump from your horse even moreso. If RDR2 had all that stuff, it would've been my GOAT.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
When you complete a trapper outfit does it save it as a premade outfit for gameplay purposes?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
My horse's testicles are too big and they freak me out Ive gotta get a female horse asap

Also are horse saddles and stirrups like weapon equipment where it doesnt matter which you have equipped as long as you've bought the highest tier?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I haven't read through the thread but suspect I won't be alone in this... But I am on the verge of giving up on this game because of the terrible sluggish controls. I've barely started it - ten hours maybe? - but I'm just finding it an absolute chore to play. Controls feel heavy and sluggish, animations are overly long, and the actual controller mappings with all the button holds are just poor.

Did anyone else go through this and persevere with the game? Was it worth it? Or shall I just ditch it and go to my next backlog games (god of war and Spiderman...!)
It's definitely sluggish. Have you set your controls to the ones suggested in the OP? The default settings for deadzone and aim acceleration are terrible in conjunction with the massive input lag that you can't disable, but tweaking those improves the experience a great deal. It still never feels snappy by any stretch of the imagination, but it makes it more playable.

If I go bald or get a buzzcut at the barber will my hair still be able to grow back?
Yes. There's no way to stop your hair growing apart from reaching max length.

When you complete a trapper outfit does it save it as a premade outfit for gameplay purposes?
Yes, once you complete an outfit or any piece of clothing at the trapper, it'll be in your inventory at your wardrobe forever (you can also visit the trapper again and equip anything he's already made you directly).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ok that makes the trapper stuff even more worth seeking out.

Also is there no place to sell ammo?

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
My horse's testicles are too big and they freak me out Ive gotta get a female horse asap

Also are horse saddles and stirrups like weapon equipment where it doesnt matter which you have equipped as long as you've bought the highest tier?
lmao. I just can't with the male horses either, tried one a bit and it was just too humorous and distracting. I've had a female horse since the start and don't see ever changing her.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's really annoying the challenges aren't just all unlocked at once

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Stranger missions are locked to chapters too? Man the game's annoyances are starting to add up lol

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Ok that makes the trapper stuff even more worth seeking out.

Also is there no place to sell ammo?
Why would you want to sell ammo? It doesn't free up inventory space, and ammo is very inexpensive so it wouldn't even net you more than a few cents.

It's really annoying the challenges aren't just all unlocked at once
This is one of my biggest complaints with the game. They aren't unlocked all at once and some of them are incredibly poorly thought out. Some of the early Weapon Master challenges include getting 3 throwing knife kills in 10 seconds and killing 3 birds of prey with a thrown tomahawk. Good challenges, a nice test of skill. Meanwhile, challenge 8 in that category is simply getting 15 shotgun kills, which you can do within the first few missions of the game. Why is that one further down the list than killing 4 consecutive enemies with the same thrown tomahawk? It makes no sense. And some of them (Master Hunter, Herbalist, Horseman and Survivalist) can't even be completed fully until the Epilogue, at which point you have no need for the minor stat boosts they unlock. It is objectively bad game design.

Treasure hunting is fun though.

Stranger missions are locked to chapters too? Man the game's annoyances are starting to add up lol
Some are. There are very few that are only available in specific chapters though; usually once they're unlocked, they remain available throughout the game and into the endgame. But best to do them as they become available so you don't miss out on anything.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's definitely sluggish. Have you set your controls to the ones suggested in the OP? The default settings for deadzone and aim acceleration are terrible in conjunction with the massive input lag that you can't disable, but tweaking those improves the experience a great deal. It still never feels snappy by any stretch of the imagination, but it makes it more playable.

Yes. There's no way to stop your hair growing apart from reaching max length.

Yes, once you complete an outfit or any piece of clothing at the trapper, it'll be in your inventory at your wardrobe forever (you can also visit the trapper again and equip anything he's already made you directly).
Will give it a spin, thanks !

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why would you want to sell ammo? It doesn't free up inventory space, and ammo is very inexpensive so it wouldn't even net you more than a few cents.

This is one of my biggest complaints with the game. They aren't unlocked all at once and some of them are incredibly poorly thought out. Some of the early Weapon Master challenges include getting 3 throwing knife kills in 10 seconds and killing 3 birds of prey with a thrown tomahawk. Good challenges, a nice test of skill. Meanwhile, challenge 8 in that category is simply getting 15 shotgun kills, which you can do within the first few missions of the game. Why is that one further down the list than killing 4 consecutive enemies with the same thrown tomahawk? It makes no sense. And some of them (Master Hunter, Herbalist, Horseman and Survivalist) can't even be completed fully until the Epilogue, at which point you have no need for the minor stat boosts they unlock. It is objectively bad game design.

Treasure hunting is fun though.

Some are. There are very few that are only available in specific chapters though; usually once they're unlocked, they remain available throughout the game and into the endgame. But best to do them as they become available so you don't miss out on anything.
Thanks for the info but re:ammo because i have like 400 repeater bullets and 200 split point bullets and cant loot any more so i just wanna get sone cash

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Thanks for the info but re:ammo because i have like 400 repeater bullets and 200 split point bullets and cant loot any more so i just wanna get sone cash
The game is weird with money. Early on, it seems pretty stingy, then there are a couple missions with a hefty payout and soon you won't want for money again. But if you're interested in quick money, I recommend treasure hunts. They're triggered by getting maps off NPCs in the wild, they're available from the start of Chapter 2 and the payout is really good. Also, they're well designed and it's fun (and completely doable without a guide) to find the landmarks each guides you to, which helps encourage and reward exploration of the map.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The game is weird with money. Early on, it seems pretty stingy, then there are a couple missions with a hefty payout and soon you won't want for money again. But if you're interested in quick money, I recommend treasure hunts. They're triggered by getting maps off NPCs in the wild, they're available from the start of Chapter 2 and the payout is really good. Also, they're well designed and it's fun (and completely doable without a guide) to find the landmarks each guides you to, which helps encourage and reward exploration of the map.
Yeah I'll do more treasure hunts soon. I think I'm on like level 3. Just trying to finish up the bandit challenges quickly so I can move past that and max my honor out positively lol.

I don't know if i like the idea of the stars for the pelt system. As it is I feel like if you get a clean kill you should get a perfect pelt anyway. As it is now you need to seek out the animal, make sure the animal isn't a useless two or one star animal, get a clean kill (right weapon on right body part for a 1 hit kill), skin it, put it on your horse and then ride all the way back to pearson/trapper/fence without dying to sell the parts (which you need to check an external guide beforehand in most cases to know where you should go). And you've gotta do it a hell of a lot of times for all 3 vendors.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah I'll do more treasure hunts soon. I think I'm on like level 3. Just trying to finish up the bandit challenges quickly so I can move past that and max my honor out positively lol.

I don't know if i like the idea of the stars for the pelt system. As it is I feel like if you get a clean kill you should get a perfect pelt anyway. As it is now you need to seek out the animal, make sure the animal isn't a useless two or one star animal, get a clean kill (right weapon on right body part for a 1 hit kill), skin it, put it on your horse and then ride all the way back to pearson/trapper/fence without dying to sell the parts (which you need to check an external guide beforehand in most cases to know where you should go). And you've gotta do it a hell of a lot of times for all 3 vendors.
Have you done the mission with Hosea hunting the legendary bear yet? That unlocks legendary animals which drop legendary animal parts that can be used to craft trinkets at the fence; these unlock special perks. Hunt the legendary buck; the perk makes you more likely to find 3-star animals and makes it so that kills are more likely to give perfect pelts if you get 1-shot kills. Totally worth it if you plan on doing a lot of hunting and crafting.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Have you done the mission with Hosea hunting the legendary bear yet? That unlocks legendary animals which drop legendary animal parts that can be used to craft trinkets at the fence; these unlock special perks. Hunt the legendary buck; the perk makes you more likely to find 3-star animals and makes it so that kills are more likely to give perfect pelts if you get 1-shot kills. Totally worth it if you plan on doing a lot of hunting and crafting.
Got it.

Since there's only one legendary animal though and there are multiple things that require legendary pelts how does that work though?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The boat is useless since your horse cant follow you with it. Also I jumped on a steamboat and it had 0 npcs and 0 openable doors which was pretty silly.

You would think with the vast decrease in buildings from gta v to rdr2 they would at least make every one openable, especially since there are minor houses that you can go into in the wilderness.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Got it.

Since there's only one legendary animal though and there are multiple things that require legendary pelts how does that work though?
You get everything you need from the legendary animal, even if you happen to lose the pelt. So, for example, when I killed the legendary moose, I accidentally knocked it into water and it floated off. I went to the trapper and everything requiring legendary moose parts was still unlocked as though I had sold it to him. The game won't let you lose out on legendary animal parts.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thought you guys might find this interesting- remember the credits song from the first Red Dead Redemption called "Deadman's Gun"? Well the people that made that song (Ashtar Command) actually also made a song for Red Dead Redemption 2 called "Blessed are the Peacemakers". The song was meant to be a thematic follow-up to "Deadman's Gun" but alas the song didn't end up making to to the final game, but the guys at Ashtar Command released the song anyways a while back for fans who may be interested. I loved Deadman's Gun at the end of the first game, so I thought this song was definitely worth the listen.

Blessed are the Peacemakers

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Been playing the game a few days, enjoying it so far, but what's up with the aggressive and seemingly randomly activated depth of field?

Night time and interiors fare the worst, focusing on someone/thing brings them into focus but otherwise the whole scene is blurry. It disappears entirely in first person but I don't intend to play that way.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Been playing the game a few days, enjoying it so far, but what's up with the aggressive and seemingly randomly activated depth of field?

Night time and interiors fare the worst, focusing on someone/thing brings them into focus but otherwise the whole scene is blurry. It disappears entirely in first person but I don't intend to play that way.
Pretty sure you can change it in the settings.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So apparently at some point I disabled Autosave... don't remember doing that. Well in Chapter 5 there are a string of missions that lead into each other which means you can't manually save. Here I am thinking the game is autosaving. Nope. Now I'm replaying 3 missions that I've done twice already this week. Jesus fuck, I feel stupid. Not even the game's fault, I just can't believe I didn't realize nothing was getting saved.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Has anyone managed to get a length 10 beard with John? I've been stuck on an 8/10 mustache and 7/10 chin and chops forever despite drinking hair tonics like crazy. Even with Arthur I only managed to get everything to 8/10.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Has anyone managed to get a length 10 beard with John? I've been stuck on an 8/10 mustache and 7/10 chin and chops forever despite drinking hair tonics like crazy. Even with Arthur I only managed to get everything to 8/10.
I found a YouTube video that explains the best technique (major spoilers in the video, so everything else will be spoiler tagged):
YouTube beard growth tutorial (not embedding cause I didn't watch it with sound enabled and I don't know if it's obnoxious). Judging by the comments on the video, it only works on an unpatched game; later patches capped the maximum length for John at a smaller value than 10. That technique should work with Arthur as well though, and he maxes out at 10. This chart lays out the time required to move between each level:

491fkadd98v11.jpg

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
There's a gif in the OP of shooting a KKK member. I believe I'm in chapter 5, when am I going to get to kill some KKK?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
There's a gif in the OP of shooting a KKK member. I believe I'm in chapter 5, when am I going to get to kill some KKK?

I played my entire first playthrough without seeing them.

Then in my second playthrough I've seen their meetings so often it's almost comical. It's like I was stuck in a scene from Birth of a Nation.

They assemble in rural areas at night. Look for bright lights in the woods out west near Strawberry and outside of Rhodes near the gangs camp in chapter 3.

Happy hunting and remember that a stick of dynamite works wonders.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

Also, I think
I found john in jail on the balloon mission with sadie. She said meet her at a point but the mission won't activate? Why not.