• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Got this game for my birthday and I'm fucking stunned how big this game world is, holy crap.

How can you possible finish this game. :D

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
There's a group that hangs around near your camp near Lemoyne, and they show up randomly usually at night. There might be a few other times when they show up as well throughout the story, I don't remember.
There are at least three distinct events that happen with the KKK. The first is around Rhodes in the woods at night (I've seen maps that show it either west of Southfield Flats or east of Mattock Pond, but that basic area). As you ride down the road, you might see fire coming from the woods; that's your cue to go sneak up and watch the ritual. You can interrupt, but interrupting may eliminate your ability to see the other two events involving the KKK. At any rate, if you do nothing, they'll still meet a fitting end.

The second encounter happens just north of Flatneck Station. This one happened to me in broad daylight. Again, you can intervene, but better to let things run their course.

The third encounter happens along the road that leads west and south out of Valentine, past Downe's Ranch near the Dakota River. This is the final encounter you will see, so at this point, feel free to just lay waste to everyone (after watching them accidentally killing each other on their own of course).

There's also a eugenicist in Saint Denis near the circle. You can do anything you want to this man and cops will turn a blind eye. I recommend hogtying him, taking him out to the swamps and feeding him to an alligator, but play around with it. Maybe take him out to the mountains way off in the northwest and feed him to some wolves (or a grizzly if you find one). Maybe throw him off Bacchus Bridge. I don't know if you can stow him in a boat, but try it and take him out to the middle of Flat Iron Lake and see how far he can swim. Bring him to one of the abandoned cabins and throw a molotov in it. The world is your oyster.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Still love the beauty of this game:

lPW5upH.jpg

3GEftN8.jpg

There are at least three distinct events that happen with the KKK. The first is around Rhodes in the woods at night (I've seen maps that show it either west of Southfield Flats or east of Mattock Pond, but that basic area). As you ride down the road, you might see fire coming from the woods; that's your cue to go sneak up and watch the ritual. You can interrupt, but interrupting may eliminate your ability to see the other two events involving the KKK. At any rate, if you do nothing, they'll still meet a fitting end.

The second encounter happens just north of Flatneck Station. This one happened to me in broad daylight. Again, you can intervene, but better to let things run their course.

The third encounter happens along the road that leads west and south out of Valentine, past Downe's Ranch near the Dakota River. This is the final encounter you will see, so at this point, feel free to just lay waste to everyone (after watching them accidentally killing each other on their own of course).

There's also a eugenicist in Saint Denis near the circle. You can do anything you want to this man and cops will turn a blind eye. I recommend hogtying him, taking him out to the swamps and feeding him to an alligator, but play around with it. Maybe take him out to the mountains way off in the northwest and feed him to some wolves (or a grizzly if you find one). Maybe throw him off Bacchus Bridge. I don't know if you can stow him in a boat, but try it and take him out to the middle of Flat Iron Lake and see how far he can swim. Bring him to one of the abandoned cabins and throw a molotov in it. The world is your oyster.

Ha! I've run into that eugenicist but didn't know you could do much with him. I'll have to head back and do my bidding with him.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
one of the interesting things about Arthur is that although he is anti-racist, in his relationships with Lenny,Javier etc. in a time when many white men were racist. he still shows prejudice towards the German family. It just shows that even a man like Arthur who tries to be good and do the right thing, can't always escape the conditions and prejudices of a society he was born in, no matter how much one might want to

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
one of the interesting things about Arthur is that although he is anti-racist, in his relationships with Lenny,Javier etc. in a time when many white men were racist. he still shows prejudice towards the German family. It just shows that even a man like Arthur who tries to be good and do the right thing, can't always escape the conditions and prejudices of a society he was born in, no matter how much one might want to

Not sure his reaction to that family was because they were German. It felt more like he didn't want to stick is neck out for strangers in general. Ethnicity or nationality is never mentioned and if this was Rockstar's intended emphasis you'd think Charles would have brought it up when he reprimands Arthur for turning his back on them.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Not sure his reaction to that family was because they were German. It felt more like he didn't want to stick is neck out for strangers in general. Ethnicity or nationality is never mentioned and if this was Rockstar's intended emphasis you'd think Charles would have brought it up when he reprimands Arthur for turning his back on them.
doesn't Arthur say though "they don't even speak our language"?

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Quick question since I haven't gone back to the game for a while.

But do Gold Medals and Mission Replays still need each goal in one go? Or have they patched this?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Quick question since I haven't gone back to the game for a while.

But do Gold Medals and Mission Replays still need each goal in one go? Or have they patched this?
All goals in one go unfortunately. And still no option to customize a loadout when you replay them so you're stuck with cattleman revolvers and the worst repeater for every replay.

Speaking of updates, I was playing again tonight and now I have two double-barrel shotguns in my inventory (three, technically, if you count the "rare shotgun"). I have a double-barrel shotgun, and then I have "double-barrel shotgun 1.00", which suggests that it's been changed in an update but they let me keep the original as well. What's up with that? It even has the little club icon next to it like an offhand pistol.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm a little annoyed about this weight stuff, with the amount of realism they are going for here.

I'm always seem to be underweight even though I eat like 5 meals everyday.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little annoyed about this weight stuff, with the amount of realism they are going for here.

I'm always seem to be underweight even though I eat like 5 meals everyday.

The weight stuff doesn't really matter in all honesty. The being said, eating a few of the big meals in the
Saint Denis
Saloon puts on a bit of weight.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
it all started with this

Cu5AbBHW8AAKgUx.0.0.jpg

Hope Rockstar does the same thing with Bully 2, a blue background and golden R when they are about to announce it

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sucks that the game doesnt have playtime stats, really wanna know how long I've been playing.

Should be standard in all games.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I like the shift in tone of the stranger missions in chapter 6. Like, early on in the game you get some goofy Rockstar shenanigans like chasing the little pyrotechnic wizard through the woods or fetching a mule that's painted like a zebra or kicking a pair of brothers repeatedly in the testicles; fun stuff. But then in chapter 6, you get proper character studies like Hamish Sinclair and Charlotte Balfour. It's great seeing how Arthur builds relationships as he tries to help people who aren't silly caricatures. In my first playthrough I missed out on the Veteran stranger missions entirely, and they're some of the best storytelling and character-building in a game that's overflowing with great examples of both.

I was so bummed when Hamish died. Like, come on man, Arthur just made a proper friend! Fucking hell.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I really wish we had a general Rockstar OT, just to talk about possible/rumored Rockstar upcoming stuff and past stuff

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
After the legendary panther killed me three times in a row by ambushing me, I found a suitable method for dealing with him; turns out a pump shotgun with explosive shells works a treat. He died on the first hit, but I had already tagged up four more in deadeye and I blasted that carcass to hell. But because he's legendary, no exploding, and I still got the pelt. Booyah.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
After the legendary panther killed me three times in a row by ambushing me, I found a suitable method for dealing with him; turns out a pump shotgun with explosive shells works a treat. He died on the first hit, but I had already tagged up four more in deadeye and I blasted that carcass to hell. But because he's legendary, no exploding, and I still got the pelt. Booyah.

Legendary hunts are basically the easiest content in the game. You can dead eye and just spam the shit out of them running straight at you with no penalty to the pelt quality.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ, I've just reached the Epilogue and what a damn game this was.

After delaying getting into it for a good three months after release because of the concerns raised over its core mechanics and fluidity of gameplay, boy am I glad I decided to give it another chance after what seemed to be a dissonance between the game's open world and narrative structure.

Arthur Morgan is by far my favourite protagonist in a video game ever.
I was absolutely devastated after learning he contracted TB, even though I knew that Arthur wasn't long for this world considering the fact the game is a prequel. It made playing the rest of the game so fucking depressing because you see a man that is not only deteriorating in a spiritual sense – mostly because of Dutch's latent true self surfacing – but also physically. I noticed the coughs during the Guarma section and questioned them immediately, for they stood out no matter how subtle Rockstar attempted to make the nascent infection.

I loved the world – it is one of the best realised worlds I've ever come across in a game. This is a game I dismissed as not coming close to my heretofore Game of the Year God of War, but this ended up not only surpassing it in that regard, but also being the best game of this generation that I've played – possibly of all time.

In summary, this game is a genuine masterpiece that I lament did not win the accolades for its narrative at least, in comparison to God of War. I personally cannot wait for the next Rockstar game, after everything they've done with this one. Oh, and did I mention? I hated Red Dead Redemption and found it incredibly tedious.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When Arthur is kidnapped by them, Dutch was never planning on returning to try and save him, right? I'm 99% sure that's the case – and buttressed by Dutch's behaviour later on in the game with John and Arthur again, but still, curious to see other people's view.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is Micah suppose to be a fucking cunt? I wanna shot him so bad man.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
wow, 80 hours in and still finding new shit I never saw before.

Just set up a camp near the Elysian Pool area, and after setting up it triggered a scene. A pair of Murfree Brood snuck up on me and threatened me letting me know this was their turf.

Had no idea there was random encounters even when you set up camp :0

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Is Micah suppose to be a fucking cunt? I wanna shot him so bad man.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!
The game is not necessarily subtle in certain areas. Micah being the worst cunt in the history of awful cunts is one of those areas. Even when you are nice to him, he is an irredeemable dick. Fortunately you've got some good people in your camp to make up for Micah's general dickishness.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I am about a third/half way into Chapter 4, how much longer have I got till finishing the game. As I am wondering whether to wait till the PC version is out.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I am about a third/half way into Chapter 4, how much longer have I got till finishing the game. As I am wondering whether to wait till the PC version is out.

You're quite a way off, in all honesty, especially if you want to go at a leisurely pace.

If you don't rush through it, and carry on doing side missions and stuff, I'd say another 25 hours.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
You're quite a way off, in all honesty, especially if you want to go at a leisurely pace.

If you don't rush through it, and carry on doing side missions and stuff, I'd say another 25 hours.

Cheers for that, I will wait for the PC version as I only got my PS4 while my PC was out of action and haven't touch the game in over 2 weeks.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized I'm at 90 hours of playtime and am barely halfway done with chapter 6.

this game. God damn.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I just realized I'm at 90 hours of playtime and am barely halfway done with chapter 6.

this game. God damn.
I'm near the end of Chapter 6 on my second playthrough at 103 hours. I think my first playthrough was a similar time but that was through the end of the game. I've done almost all the side content this time through (still have some challenges left, along with exotics, dinosaur bones and cigarette cards). There's definitely a lot of content.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I'm near the end of Chapter 6 on my second playthrough at 103 hours. I think my first playthrough was a similar time but that was through the end of the game. I've done almost all the side content this time through (still have some challenges left, along with exotics, dinosaur bones and cigarette cards). There's definitely a lot of content.
I haven't even found a single dinosaur bone lol

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What I love about this game is everytime you launch it Arthur will be in a different place, today I was sleeping behind a rock.

It's like you turn the game off yet it feels like they are still doing stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I haven't even found a single dinosaur bone lol
I found one without using a map. As well done as I think the treasure maps are (I didn't need to consult a guide for any of them), basically all the other collectibles are very much "just use a map." The dreamcatchers are kind of discoverable, but mostly not; the rock carvings and dino bones are just ridiculous. You can be standing on top of some of the dino bones with eagle eye enabled and still miss them. And the exotics? Fucking hell. That one is less about needing a map than about needing an unlimited supply of patience. Fuck that, I got Game of Thrones to catch up on. At least you can cheese the cigarette cards by just buying packs of premium cigarettes (between selling duplicates and monetary rewards for turning in complete sets, you can actually come out ahead this way; it just takes a boatload of cash up front).

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I need to learn to holster my weapon before talking to people, I just saved some poor fella from getting robbed, went to talk to him and accidentally aimed my gun at him, he ran away and I lost some honor.

:(

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone got some tips for a low-level online player?

I'd like to obtain the MVP 3 Times trophy, but I get wrecked in everything at all times.

It is just to hold out and hope for luck?

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I'm jumping back in and really want to do everything except for the hunting. I just don't have fun with it. I'd pay rockstar 5 bucks to unlock the best satchel

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm jumping back in to finish rdr2. What's settings are everyone using for shooting controls??
Thx
There are settings quoted in the OP that work pretty well. Basically dead zone at 0, aim acceleration full, and then aim sensitivity and zoom sensitivity adjust to your liking. The post also suggests setting controls from third person to first person because it gets rid of tap-to-sprint (even in third person camera), but I actually prefer tap-to-sprint in this game.

I'm jumping back in and really want to do everything except for the hunting. I just don't have fun with it. I'd pay rockstar 5 bucks to unlock the best satchel
If you're willing to play through to the epilogue, you are given the opportunity to buy satchels instead of crafting them. If you'd rather muscle through it, I would suggest hunting the legendary buck as soon as possible, as the talisman you get from it will make it more likely for you to get perfect pelts.

Is there a way to get the legendary alligator in character 4?
I'm seeing conflicting information. Some suggest that you can hunt it after completing the Chapter 4 mission Country Pursuits; other information suggests it won't be huntable until completing the Chapter 6 mission That's Murfree Country. I'm guessing it's the latter.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who rushed to get the legendary satchel on my second playthrough early in chapter 2, I don't think the hunting grind is that bad tbh.

I remember a good hour or two trying to get a perfect panther pelt, but everything else was easy to find. Though as Atomic mentions above, you'll want to get the legendary buck talisman asap.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
As someone who rushed to get the legendary satchel on my second playthrough early in chapter 2, I don't think the hunting grind is that bad tbh.

I remember a good hour or two trying to get a perfect panther pelt, but everything else was easy to find. Though as Atomic mentions above, you'll want to get the legendary buck talisman asap.
That's exactly what I did. On my first playthrough, I found the hunting annoying because I wanted to advance the story. After playing through the game once and hearing the story, I was a lot more patient on my second playthrough so that I could experience all the stuff I had missed out on the first time around. And in that context, the hunting became a lot more enjoyable. I fundamentally disagree with the way the game restricts you to "perfect" pelts, especially for some of the satchels; oh, I have an entire elk corpse here, but I can't manage to find 6 square inches of usable pelt because I accidentally double-tapped it in the face. That makes no fucking sense. Meanwhile, my band of merry ingrates would rather sit on the dusty ground than me provide some ground cover in the form of an animal skin that has a hole in it. What the shit is that? "Thanks for trying Arthur, but if the law shows up and sees us sitting on this sorry excuse for a rug, we would be absolutely mortified." Pearson made you a table cover that looks like someone stretched a scrotum over a wagon wheel for fuck's sake!

I'd keep ranting, but I'm off to go find 10 perfect rat carcasses so I can bind them together and place them delicately atop my head.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I did. On my first playthrough, I found the hunting annoying because I wanted to advance the story. After playing through the game once and hearing the story, I was a lot more patient on my second playthrough so that I could experience all the stuff I had missed out on the first time around. And in that context, the hunting became a lot more enjoyable. I fundamentally disagree with the way the game restricts you to "perfect" pelts, especially for some of the satchels; oh, I have an entire elk corpse here, but I can't manage to find 6 square inches of usable pelt because I accidentally double-tapped it in the face. That makes no fucking sense. Meanwhile, my band of merry ingrates would rather sit on the dusty ground than me provide some ground cover in the form of an animal skin that has a hole in it. What the shit is that? "Thanks for trying Arthur, but if the law shows up and sees us sitting on this sorry excuse for a rug, we would be absolutely mortified." Pearson made you a table cover that looks like someone stretched a scrotum over a wagon wheel for fuck's sake!

I'd keep ranting, but I'm off to go find 10 perfect rat carcasses so I can bind them together and place them delicately atop my head.
Lmao, yeah the hunting and pelt system is a bit odd and I didn't bother with it on my first playthrough, I was too engrossed by the story / side quests.

But as you said, second go-round I didn't mind taking the time to search for certain animals. And I also wanted the convenience of the legendary satchel to streamline the second playhrough a bit. It's a massive game changer because of all the extra time you cut off riding back to towns to stock up on things (or sell things you don't want to free up space).

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's a massive game changer because of all the extra time you cut off riding back to towns to stock up on things (or sell things you don't want to free up space).
The game doesn't do a good job explaining it, but there's no "freeing up space" so you can take on new inventory items. Technically, from the very moment the game opens, you can have one of every single item in the game and not run into any restriction on carrying things. You have a limited inventory for the number of each specific item you can carry (e.g. you can only carry three cans of beans), but an infinite inventory for unique items (carrying three cans of beans does not prohibit you from carrying any number of other items except for additional cans of beans). So never pass up the opportunity to snatch everything. If you can't pick something up, it's because you're full of that specific item, not that you need to sell off other things to gain inventory space. Also, for a game that prides itself on being realistic at all times, it's frankly amazing that I am able to run into battle with hundreds of tonics, medicines, cans of food, slabs of raw meat, whole carcasses, several thousand rounds of ammo, a few hundred pounds of solid gold, a fishing pole and a tent and be basically fine.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't do a good job explaining it, but there's no "freeing up space" so you can take on new inventory items. Technically, from the very moment the game opens, you can have one of every single item in the game and not run into any restriction on carrying things. You have a limited inventory for the number of each specific item you can carry (e.g. you can only carry three cans of beans), but an infinite inventory for unique items (carrying three cans of beans does not prohibit you from carrying any number of other items except for additional cans of beans). So never pass up the opportunity to snatch everything. If you can't pick something up, it's because you're full of that specific item, not that you need to sell off other things to gain inventory space. Also, for a game that prides itself on being realistic at all times, it's frankly amazing that I am able to run into battle with hundreds of tonics, medicines, cans of food, slabs of raw meat, whole carcasses, several thousand rounds of ammo, a few hundred pounds of solid gold, a fishing pole and a tent and be basically fine.
Oh shit, I didn't even realize that. How weird lol