• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Can I still get satchel upgrades after the main campaign is finished?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Chapter 6 was really well done even if
Micah being a rat wasn't really necessary and a bit predictable. But jesus christ when Arthur's horse dies and he goes up to it and says thank you, then later hands off his hat to John. The feels.

It's doubly sad that you know John dies and then Jack doesn't even escape the lifestyle either.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
There.

Finished 70 Missions with Gold. Was easy when doing it on a new save and saving before every mission.

Only thing left for the Platinum is reach level 50 in Online, which is gonna take time....
Aswell as completing the Story with 100%. Which is sitting at 99.8%,for me. I refuse to 100 it before I am done with online, since I want the Platinum screenshot to be a very specific one.

Any tips for RDR Online leveling? Or is it just final mission over and over and over?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
There.

Finished 70 Missions with Gold. Was easy when doing it on a new save and saving before every mission.

Only thing left for the Platinum is reach level 50 in Online, which is gonna take time....
Aswell as completing the Story with 100%. Which is sitting at 99.8%,for me. I refuse to 100 it before I am done with online, since I want the Platinum screenshot to be a very specific one.

Any tips for RDR Online leveling? Or is it just final mission over and over and over?

Not played in ages, so they've probably patched them by now, but farming police officer kills on that roof at the south of Saint Denis, just playing multiplayer matches, and playing the final story mission with a posse who are trying to grind levels, and just dying before the boss appears, and repeating that.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
There.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that saves their plats to get a good pic.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I want to upgrade something that needs 2,3 perfect skins. Where should I keep/save those skins before using to upgrade? Is it enough to donate them to camp or should I do another thing?
Edit: Okay, I should donate them!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Guys, I want to upgrade something that needs 2,3 perfect skins. Where should I keep/save those skins before using to upgrade? Is it enough to donate them to camp or should I do another thing?
Edit: Okay, I should donate them!
Donate / sell them to whoever is crafting with them. If it's for a camp upgrade or satchel, they get donated to Pearson. If it's for a piece of clothing or equipment from the Trapper, sell it to him. The inventory isn't shared between both, so if you've sold a bunch of perfect deer pelts to the Trapper, they won't be available for Pearson to use to make satchels; you'll have to get more and bring them to Pearson.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Donate / sell them to whoever is crafting with them. If it's for a camp upgrade or satchel, they get donated to Pearson. If it's for a piece of clothing or equipment from the Trapper, sell it to him. The inventory isn't shared between both, so if you've sold a bunch of perfect deer pelts to the Trapper, they won't be available for Pearson to use to make satchels; you'll have to get more and bring them to Pearson.
Thanks for information.
----------------
This game is so beautiful and full of details! I play it on standard PS4 and it makes me crazy sometimes, because of its amazing quality. :O

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Finished the full game

Not sure if I liked (full game spoilers)
dutch being with micah and then also shooting him

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Question. I'm in chapter 6. How long to end, and true end?
I just helped John blow up the train tracks and then helped Sadie kill the last of the O'driscolls. Next up is something with Trelawny. I heard chapter 6 is the end of the game but there are 2 3-4 hour epilogues?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Question. I'm in chapter 6. How long to end, and true end?
I just helped John blow up the train tracks and then helped Sadie kill the last of the O'driscolls. Next up is something with Trelawny. I heard chapter 6 is the end of the game but there are 2 3-4 hour epilogues?
Several hours to go. Maybe a little less than ten if you rush

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I took some screenshots up near Vanhorn Trading Post, just capturing random shots, and I add all of my screenshots to Google Photos. Google Photos analyzed some of them and thought they were a real photo of scenery, and so it made a panorama out of them. Both a marvel of RDR2 and how amazing Google Photos is.

USmbGvO.jpg

Full res, 6500x1800 or whatever (imgur, sorry quality might be lower):

https://i.imgur.com/USmbGvO.jpg

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to say that I picked this game back up again after bouncing off with so many other releases. Playing through chapter 3 now and I'm quite impressed with this game. It's all sort of coming together for me in many ways. The visuals are stunning to say the least.

The beginning is slow, yes but the build is nice and I think this would've place much higher in my personal goty list had I played more of it.

I encourage everyone to give it more time if you can spare it.

itsinmyveins

May 4, 2019
Alright, back in the saddle again after a month long break. I need to work my way through the game before I start any other large type game, and god damn is there a lot of stuff to do in RDR2. So far it feels like for every ten hours I pour into it, I've only played the main story for one at most.

Anyone got an inkling of how far I've come in the main story? I'm currently
in Rhodes and my HQ is there as well. Working as a deputy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Alright, back in the saddle again after a month long break. I need to work my way through the game before I start any other large type game, and god damn is there a lot of stuff to do in RDR2. So far it feels like for every ten hours I pour into it, I've only played the main story for one at most.

Anyone got an inkling of how far I've come in the main story? I'm currently
in Rhodes and my HQ is there as well. Working as a deputy.
Not even halfway

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the game and went riding. Its cool that you can visit
"Armadillo"
It's odd though that whole area of the map was not used during the game. Its a such a beautiful place to ride around.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Boy, just finished the game (not epilogue) and what a great story that was! Arthur Morgon is one of my favourite protagonist ever. A question. Is there a pay-off to playing the epilogue? I've played a few minutes and i'm kind of meh about it. Can i call it quits now without missing anything major?
Stick at it, the last mission is one of the best.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and went riding. Its cool that you can visit
"Armadillo"
It's odd though that whole area of the map was not used during the game. Its a such a beautiful place to ride around.

Agreed. One of my favorite things about the game is visiting the RDR locations and seeing how they've changed or haven't changed from Red Dead Redemption. I love how Tumbleweed is the thriving community in that portion of the map, while Tumbleweed was the ghost town of RDR1. I even love how Blackwater develops during the course of RDR2 story, something that 99% of players -- maybe more -- won't even get to experience because you're persona non grata in Blackwater.

Check this out, starting at 1:57

(Location "spoilers" for those who haven't played through the game entirely, but not really, video just shows how areas change throughout the game, train tracks being laid, camps turning into towns, or the reverse, etc)

I really wish they did more with it though, and had a couple other nods to the previous game. Like, I wish that they had an early bridge being built into the San Louis river (or w/e the river is / Rio Bravo / Rio Grande / etc). Like, a quarter built bridge or something, showing that work had started but it wouldn't be complete until the events of RDR1. It's disappointing how much they didn't use the mass, and it seems clear they basically threw it in there just for Red Dead Online. Aside from a couple funny easter eggs virtually the entire landmass has nothing going on. I still love that it's there because I love riding around that area and I'd much rather it be in the game in its current state than get the treatment that Mexico did (e.g., like you can look at it but can't get there). There's a beauty to how sparse it is, and the rest of RDR2 is obviously beautiful, but there's still part of me that loves the flat Texas brush country and plains from the first game.

Also I wish there was a way to take a boat from Blackwater to St. Denis. You see these steam boats going back and forth through the whole game, so I thought it'd be obvious that when you finally make it to Blackwater or St. Denis that you could take a boat that'd take you right to the heart of it... but you can't.

BTW, I'm not spoilering this post only because the game came out ~7mos ago and I think spoilering locations on the main map at this point is a little overkill. There's only one location that I'd consider spoilering for story reasons, and for anybody whose finished the game it should be obvious which one :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
BTW, I'm not spoilering this post only because the game came out ~7mos ago and I think spoilering locations on the main map at this point is a little overkill. There's only one location that I'd consider spoilering for story reasons, and for anybody whose finished the game it should be obvious which one :)
I mean, the physical copy of the game came with a physical map in it (not even the special edition) which included all of New Austin. It was spoiled by the developers in the game box itself. Anybody who complains about it at this point is being insane.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there ANY chance at all that we'll see singleplayer DLC?

I was almost turned off this game from the negative impressions about controls and the game being impressive but not "fun." GTAV feeling like it was Rockstar spinning its wheels didn't help.

That said, these impressions absolutely baffle me now. This game is a fucking revelation and fun as hell. Easily, easily Rockstar's best game. I really hope they don't listen to the criticism and double down on this philosophy in the future. It would be a tragedy if we never got another game like this.

Please tell me singeplayer DLC is a possibility.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Is there ANY chance at all that we'll see singleplayer DLC?

I was almost turned off this game from the negative impressions about controls and the game being impressive but not "fun." GTAV feeling like it was Rockstar spinning its wheels didn't help.

That said, these impressions absolutely baffle me now. This game is a fucking revelation and fun as hell. Easily, easily Rockstar's best game. I really hope they don't listen to the criticism and double down on this philosophy in the future. It would be a tragedy if we never got another game like this.

Please tell me singeplayer DLC is a possibility.
It's a possibility. It is an extremely remote possibility, however. GTA V is the one of the best-selling videogames of all time and it never saw a shred of singleplayer DLC. Rockstar's focus seems to be on putting out a really great singleplayer experience and then focusing 100% of post-launch support on bolstering the online component (where people tend to keep giving you money as opposed to one-time singleplayer DLC costs). As long as it keeps printing money for them, I don't think we can expect that to change, sadly.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. One of my favorite things about the game is visiting the RDR locations and seeing how they've changed or haven't changed from Red Dead Redemption. I love how Tumbleweed is the thriving community in that portion of the map, while Tumbleweed was the ghost town of RDR1. I even love how Blackwater develops during the course of RDR2 story, something that 99% of players -- maybe more -- won't even get to experience because you're persona non grata in Blackwater.

(Location "spoilers" for those who haven't played through the game entirely, but not really, video just shows how areas change throughout the game, train tracks being laid, camps turning into towns, or the reverse, etc)

I really wish they did more with it though, and had a couple other nods to the previous game. Like, I wish that they had an early bridge being built into the San Louis river (or w/e the river is / Rio Bravo / Rio Grande / etc). Like, a quarter built bridge or something, showing that work had started but it wouldn't be complete until the events of RDR1. It's disappointing how much they didn't use the mass, and it seems clear they basically threw it in there just for Red Dead Online. Aside from a couple funny easter eggs virtually the entire landmass has nothing going on. I still love that it's there because I love riding around that area and I'd much rather it be in the game in its current state than get the treatment that Mexico did (e.g., like you can look at it but can't get there). There's a beauty to how sparse it is, and the rest of RDR2 is obviously beautiful, but there's still part of me that loves the flat Texas brush country and plains from the first game.

Also I wish there was a way to take a boat from Blackwater to St. Denis. You see these steam boats going back and forth through the whole game, so I thought it'd be obvious that when you finally make it to Blackwater or St. Denis that you could take a boat that'd take you right to the heart of it... but you can't.

I didn't even know you could go to Blackwater and I'm in epilogue 1.

Sometimes I wish I could just have 500 hours to sink into this game. Trying to wrap it up now after probably 120 hours or so but I just want to get to some other games after my awful busy season. I'm behind already this year!

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Never played any of the Red Dead games, but the aesthetic of the online is seriously tempting me. Is it worth jumping in now or did I miss the boat?
Also any whispers of a pc version in the near future?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed on all this. The RDR 1 area is so neat, but I wish they had done a bit more there. I really love Red Dead 1's setting (especially when you add Mexico) because it feels very spaghetti western-esque. The Leone or Corbucci vibes are strong in that area of the map.

RDR 2 is way different, feels much more American (makes sense given that you're further away from the border than in RDR 1). RDR 2 is imo more akin to later American westerns like McCabe and Mrs. Miller or Heaven's Gate. Which is also amazing to be sure, but I have a soft spot for spaghetti westerns.

This is why we need single-player DLC lol. I know it won't happen, but they already have a bunch of beautiful real estate that they haven't used.

And that video about the transforming buildings and whatnot is damn cool. Makes me want to get back to my second playthrough.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on all this. The RDR 1 area is so neat, but I wish they had done a bit more there. I really love Red Dead 1's setting (especially when you add Mexico) because it feels very spaghetti western-esque. The Leone or Corbucci vibes are strong in that area of the map.

RDR 2 is way different, feels much more American (makes sense given that you're further away from the border than in RDR 1). RDR 2 is imo more akin to later American westerns like McCabe and Mrs. Miller or Heaven's Gate. Which is also amazing to be sure, but I have a soft spot for spaghetti westerns.

This is why we need single-player DLC lol. I know it won't happen, but they already have a bunch of beautiful real estate that they haven't used.

And that video about the transforming buildings and whatnot is damn cool. Makes me want to get back to my second playthrough.

Really good analysis tying that into the difference between the Leone / Corbucci Italiano westerns versus the American and Australian westerns, I never thought of that.

I like the sparseness of the RDR1 map, especially with Mexico, and how you really felt this open, desolateness to the world. RDR2's map is insane and great in its own way, but I always missed that wide open sweeping vista in front of you where you can see "for miles." RDR2 is much more dense, more atmospheric in most areas, but I missed those open areas.

It's amazing that the same engine can do both... that intensley dense foliage and forest in one area, and then the wide open tumbleweed country of the Southwest. I wish Mexico were in the game too just to ride around, I adore the painted desert section of Mexico from RDR1, and the blazing sunsets, would love to experience them in 4K engine of RDR2.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the patience to finish doing my 100% so I just went ahead and started a second playthrough. Having a blast once again. I gotta say, I'm a really good shot with free aim. The majority of my shots land. All it takes is not spamming shots so you're not affected by the bloom and taking your time.

However, I got a bug where everything I donate to Pearson is for funds, not crafting, so essentially I can't craft new satchels.

I guess it makes it more immersive when you don't have an endless bag...

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the epilogue and I think this is my favourite game of the generation. I need to unpack it all a bit more but I'm left scratching my head from the backlash I saw from some editorial staff around the Internet around game of the year time. What an incredible accomplishment that makes other games in the genre almost seem antiquated.

As a whole it's a marvellous game that I feel incredibly privileged to get to experience.

Its slower pace and length won't be for everyone but it's undeniably an experience everyone should at least attempt to enjoy. Perhaps reviewer and goty deadlines had something to do with the backlash. I took my time with it and played it when I could afford the time to commit to it.
Amazing soundtrack and score. Incredible storytelling. Wonderfully crafted stranger missions. Some of the best charafter development and payoff I've seen in video games. It's a game where I relished in the mundane. I could go on...and will have to later.

The epilogue was such a treat that feels like it could've been DLC and I'm super happy I got to roll right into it. Time to go read Blood Meridian and perhaps play through RDR1 for the first time.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
looking at it....can one say that ultimately, John failed Arthur in the end since Jack eventually would become an outlaw

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
looking at it....can one say that ultimately, John failed Arthur in the end since Jack eventually would become an outlaw
I don't see that as John failing Arthur. If anything, that's indicative of Dutch failing John. Dutch was responsible for John in his formative years and he taught him that violence solves problems, and ultimately got him captured by the government. John goes on to escape prison and the gang and makes every effort to go straight to honor his commitment to Arthur (and Abigail and Jack, naturally). Even after he commits to live an honest life, the past that Dutch led him through comes back to haunt him when agents effectively kidnap his wife and son and ask him to use the violent skills Dutch taught him to kill boatloads of their perceived enemies. When he has exhausted his use to the crooked agents, it becomes clear that they were never going to let him live in the peace that Arthur wished for him. In spite of this, he did everything in his power to give Jack a life away from the violence he had known in his youth. And, depending on how you play RDR1, Jack only has one true moment of being an outlaw; a justified revenge killing against the man who illegally used his station to murder his law-abiding father. Jack's future beyond that is unknown. Let us dream of a world in which he headed west and turned his love of stories into being a pioneer of early cinema in Hollywood, where he was tragically killed after telling Mae West "work ya damn nag!"

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having the same issues I had with the first game trying to complete it. It's just not fun to play. I don't know why but this series just doesn't connect with me like it should

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone messing around with the HDR settings post patch? I mentioned in the other thread but I can't seem to get my settings right for Luminance/White for a C7. After playing so long in SDR and loving the hell out of those colors, it's hard to try to adjust.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Is anyone messing around with the HDR settings post patch? I mentioned in the other thread but I can't seem to get my settings right for Luminance/White for a C7. After playing so long in SDR and loving the hell out of those colors, it's hard to try to adjust.

I've got a Sony X900e and I tried messing around with hdr before work this morning and ended up getting close to a setting that works for me. The colours seemed naturalistic and the skies were really popping and looking (even more) gorgeous.

Tempted to start a new game even though I wrapped it up a few months ago. Maybe I should try the online now...

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
So I played this game on the One X but my friends all played on the PS4. I haven't touched the online stuff yet, but if I bought the PS4 version to play online only would I be missing anything? Are online and offline connected in any way?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So I played this game on the One X but my friends all played on the PS4. I haven't touched the online stuff yet, but if I bought the PS4 version to play online only would I be missing anything? Are online and offline connected in any way?
Pretty sure they're completely independent of each other and there's no crossover of anything. I haven't actually played any multiplayer so I can't confirm that, but that's my understanding.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
With the new RD Online story-driven content and the mode emerging out of BETA, I'm going to give it a try.

I haven't launched it at all and I was pretty disappointed with how it first launched (according to commentary about it)... Felt like they didn't fix enough that was broken with GTA Online. But, I'm going to give it the ol' college try this weekend.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Is there still no way of getting rid of unwanted guns? Scrolling through all these guns plus duplicates is dumb.

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
I finished the campaign and epilogue over the weekend, glad I stuck with it to see it through - this was easily the most profound gaming experience I've had.

Have already started a second playthrough. To those that have done so, how did your goals differ the second time around?

My horse dying rattled me pretty bad, even now when I think about it I still get tears - I had that horse for pretty much the whole time

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Also is there any word on the soundtrack? Spring is almost over and no sign of it.

Nothing. It's a bummer.

I assume there's some licensing dispute with the handful of notable artists, like Willy Nelson or someone else.

I'm kinda surprised that a hacked version isn't out and more common. Like, even searching YouTube I can't find the actual tracks the game uses. There's a lot of covers and reimaginations of them, but like I want to hear the original songs as they appeared in the game, and as far as I know I can't find that. Would have imagined someone would have ripped them from the disc.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Nothing. It's a bummer.

I assume there's some licensing dispute with the handful of notable artists, like Willy Nelson or someone else.

I'm kinda surprised that a hacked version isn't out and more common. Like, even searching YouTube I can't find the actual tracks the game uses. There's a lot of covers and reimaginations of them, but like I want to hear the original songs as they appeared in the game, and as far as I know I can't find that. Would have imagined someone would have ripped them from the disc.
Have a look through this playlist, maybe it has what you're after?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLH8sgqaTeYpfT3sb2BVDlgrsoRWj6Mxd

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm diligently trying to clean up the Exotics questline, and I have to say, I fucking hate orchids. Holy God, even with a map these things are a nightmare to find. And I ended up finding some of them months ago while adventuring on my own, so I follow a map to a location and spend 5 minutes fruitlessly wandering about before realizing "oh, I already got that one." It's the sort of challenge that I sense is virtually impossible if you're not using a map. I mean, hell, most of the orchids are in the swamps of Lemoyne, but then there's one that's way out west in New Elizabeth, and even out in Tall Trees (where you can't even get until the epilogue). One of the orchids was in a cow pasture in a gang hideout, and in the process of trying to get it, I ended up having to kill 30 guys and then got knocked about by an ornery bull. Another one ended up being off in the middle of nowhere marking an entrance to a non-descript cave that ended up having a dinosaur bone in it. Like, I get the world is hand-crafted and incredibly detailed, but this orchid stuff is just bullshit (as are the dino bones, while I'm on the subject). It's mindless busywork. And I'm still going to do it because I like being in the world of RDR2.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just don't like the controls. The world is gorgeous and I've finally found time now to get back into it all and actually progress to the second camp and by gosh it opens up even more. But the controls just keep bringing me down.

Tracking is a chore. Riding is a chore. Fishing is a chore. It is all a chore because I'm fighting these God awful controls that just feel so unresponsive and unintuitive. Who thought it was a good idea to have the auto follow path be only when in cinematic mode? Why do I have to spin around the right stick until my finger falls off to catch a fish? All these clunky designs just hurt in the long run but thankfully the world is amazing.

My horse suddenly won't follow people properly when in a mission, despite that being taught at the beginning. Instead it runs into them and with the slightest bump Arthur is tits over arse on the ground that I then have to fight the controls to get back up. Don't get me started on fucking crafting, cleaning weapons, skinning or really any button input. It is all so labourious and exhausting.

Yet I still fucking love the world.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching Boardwalk Empire again and it's brought up how much I'd like for RDR3, if there ever is one, to be set during Prohibition. There's just so much they can do with it. That or the early 30's with the Depression and the Midwest Crime Wave. I wouldn't be against them going back earlier in the timeline either, but I think it'd be a great way to wrap things up with Jack.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I just don't like the controls. The world is gorgeous and I've finally found time now to get back into it all and actually progress to the second camp and by gosh it opens up even more. But the controls just keep bringing me down.

Tracking is a chore. Riding is a chore. Fishing is a chore. It is all a chore because I'm fighting these God awful controls that just feel so unresponsive and unintuitive. Who thought it was a good idea to have the auto follow path be only when in cinematic mode? Why do I have to spin around the right stick until my finger falls off to catch a fish? All these clunky designs just hurt in the long run but thankfully the world is amazing.

My horse suddenly won't follow people properly when in a mission, despite that being taught at the beginning. Instead it runs into them and with the slightest bump Arthur is tits over arse on the ground that I then have to fight the controls to get back up. Don't get me started on fucking crafting, cleaning weapons, skinning or really any button input. It is all so labourious and exhausting.

Yet I still fucking love the world.
I believe it's "arse over tits". (Otherwise he'd just be sitting upright.)

I agree with you, though. Have to be in the mood for the cumbersome controls, then the world and characters really shine.
I don't even mind the extra animations and movement quirks, as long as I take my time then I can play with these things rather than against them.
But the context-sensitive stuff can be a right pain.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I believe it's "arse over tits". (Otherwise he'd just be sitting upright.)

I agree with you, though. Have to be in the mood for the cumbersome controls, then the world and characters really shine.
I don't even mind the extra animations and movement quirks, as long as I take my time then I can play with these things rather than against them.
But the context-sensitive stuff can be a right pain.
I spent like 5 minutes trying to make sure that saying was right, and as an Australian I have disappointed my country.

I just get annoyed because it pulls you out with the frustration towards the control. I get so into the world and then suddenly I'm cursing at not being able to bloody follow properly despite the game yelling at me I could. Or trying to do an action and it feel like two nights have passed before it's accomplished. Detail is great, but repetitive detail for the sake is bothersome.