• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game, but I don't fucking get how they still have these awful glitches at this point. The stranger that gives the Fundraiser quest vanished. I rode into Saint Denis to try to get some of the stranger missions there. Accidentally did that shit where I tackled someone instead of getting on my horse, got chased all over the city for my bounty of $2.50 and it seems to have made this stranger not appear anymore.

Unless it's a well known glitch of strangers permanently disappearing, every story-giving stranger appeared for me throughout the game though sometimes they'd come and go. Some are time based, at least two of them are around Saint Denis, and others are bounty based so they won't show up if you've caused a ruckus in that area for a while. But, within time, they all come back as far as I understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's a well known glitch of strangers permanently disappearing, every story-giving stranger appeared for me throughout the game though sometimes they'd come and go. Some are time based, at least two of them are around Saint Denis, and others are bounty based so they won't show up if you've caused a ruckus in that area for a while. But, within time, they all come back as far as I understand.

I've seen other people online mentioning the glitch which makes me nervous. I'm probably just going to keep playing the game and see if it fixes itself

Oct 25, 2017
Fun bug number 2: I came back to camp during the evening and there were two companion activities. Hunting with Pearson, and robbing a stage with Lenny. I was looking to put down the game for the day, so I just slept till morning and turned the game off. When I turned it back on, both activities were gone. Slept till noon and Lenny's popped back up, but for the life of me, I can't get that Pearson mission to trigger again. I've waiting around camp for the entire day, but dude has no interest in going back to that dock to start the hunting trip. I'm going to see what if it fixes itself, but I had this same thing happen during my last play through, and he never came back. I thought I missed it then because I progressed the game too far.

I've seen this bug talked about, but it seems even less reported then the Fundraiser bug, so I doubt it'll be fixed. This is honestly really frustrating. I got hit by the vanishing Marston family, Molly, and Sadie glitch on my last play through, so this was supposed to be my do fucking everything and take my time with the game run. I purposely waited a bit so this shit would be patched by the time I got around to it, but here I am missing content due to fucking glitches again. I'm probably just going to drop the game.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Fun bug number 2: I came back to camp during the evening and there were two companion activities. Hunting with Pearson, and robbing a stage with Lenny. I was looking to put down the game for the day, so I just slept till morning and turned the game off. When I turned it back on, both activities were gone. Slept till noon and Lenny's popped back up, but for the life of me, I can't get that Pearson mission to trigger again. I've waiting around camp for the entire day, but dude has no interest in going back to that dock to start the hunting trip. I'm going to see what if it fixes itself, but I had this same thing happen during my last play through, and he never came back. I thought I missed it then because I progressed the game too far.

I've seen this bug talked about, but it seems even less reported then the Fundraiser bug, so I doubt it'll be fixed. This is honestly really frustrating. I got hit by the vanishing Marston family, Molly, and Sadie glitch on my last play through, so this was supposed to be my do fucking everything and take my time with the game run. I purposely waited a bit so this shit would be patched by the time I got around to it, but here I am missing content due to fucking glitches again. I'm probably just going to drop the game.

Camp activities like those are randomly activated. It doesn't sound like a glitch. It's just up to the RNG to pop that specific activity again. A lot of them can time out and will appear again but are often exclusive to specific camps. If you progress and your camp moves, you'll be locked out of certain activities but others will be added to the pool of possible activities for the new camp.

Oct 25, 2017
Camp activities like those are randomly activated. It doesn't sound like a glitch. It's just up to the RNG to pop that specific activity again. A lot of them can time out and will appear again but are often exclusive to specific camps. If you progress and your camp moves, you'll be locked out of certain activities but others will be added to the pool of possible activities for the new camp.

Yeah, I played around with it a bit more and got it to pop back up when I rode back into my camp during the evening. So yeah, I jumped the gun a bit here lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, I played around with it a bit more and got it to pop back up when I rode back into my camp during the evening. So yeah, I jumped the gun a bit here lol.
Yeah, some of those will be time-of-day dependent as well. So you wouldn't get that request from Pearson in the middle of the day because he'd be busy making the stew. And unless you're an absolute completionist, don't worry too much if you miss them; they don't count towards 100% completion. Similarly, if you can't get the Fundraiser to reappear, it also won't affect your ability to get 100% completion, as only 10 stranger mission strands are required and there are 20+ to choose from. It's a meaningless little nothing of a mission too; the lady talks, you either give her money or steal some and the mission ends.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Hello lads, is there any way to go back and play as Arthur after finishing the main story? (100%)
Arthur was so much cooler than Marston.

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I need this online patch to drop already.

I'd rather be playing this online than GTA but I'm completely out of things to do other than running stranger missions over and over. I don't really care about the non-free roam aspects of online, so I realize that's part of my problem, but man I want to be able to do things in my camp, or buy property, or have a collection of basically anything other than clothes.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
So I'm doing my second playthrough though which I want to be a bit more thorough than my first. And I just wanted to know, is there any way to find the murder mysteries/rock carvings/dinosaur bones/etc. without using a guide? Like, I really enjoy the treasure hunts since you've got something to go off of, but apart from one murder (which I found by accident) I haven't found anything else.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm doing my second playthrough though which I want to be a bit more thorough than my first. And I just wanted to know, is there any way to find the murder mysteries/rock carvings/dinosaur bones/etc. without using a guide? Like, I really enjoy the treasure hunts since you've got something to go off of, but apart from one murder (which I found by accident) I haven't found anything else.

Bones and carvings are pretty much impossible without a guide unless you have unlimited time and dragnet the entire map.

The murder scenes however are all in areas you will probably happen across but one in particular is easy to miss.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So largely due to the activity in this thread, I picked up this game again after a few months off.

It's amazing how the lighting, fog and particle effects make the landscape and vistas pop after some time away. Almost like I was seeing this game again for the first time.

I've been playing AC:Odyssey and Metro Exodus recently and, while those are undeniably pretty games, RDR2 absolutely takes the crown for best looking game for me. Sure there's some awful textures around but the package taken as a whole is pretty amazing.

While it's nice to justify having an Xbox One X playing this game just makes me long for a PC version.

Regardless, damn it's good to be back in the saddle.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So largely due to the activity in this thread, I picked up this game again after a few months off.

It's amazing how the lighting, fog and particle effects make the landscape and vistas pop after some time away. Almost like I was seeing this game again for the first time.

I've been playing AC:Odyssey and Metro Exodus recently and, while those are undeniably pretty games, RDR2 absolutely takes the crown for best looking game for me. Sure there's some awful textures around but the package taken as a whole is pretty amazing.

While it's nice to justify having an Xbox One X playing this game just makes me long for a PC version.

The draw distance is unparalleled imo.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think so, which is kind of a bummer. Some of those bones and rock carvings are in places I would never go without using a guide. I don't mind those quests, because I really like just riding around the map, but I really wish there was a more natural way to do them.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017

Feeling the same. After a longer break i decided to go back to this game and i i'm honestly floored by RDR2. I finished the game 4 months ago or so, but only now i really start to see how great this is in terms of an achievement for the medium.

It is incredible tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The murder mysteries I found through normal gameplay just by riding around with cinematic camera on; the game subtly positions the camera to show you assorted viscera when you're near one, you just have to notice it. It's not super obvious, mind you, but I'd be riding along and see something and think "what the hell was that?" and it turns out to be an arm or whatever.

The rock carvings, dino bones and dreamcatchers are effectively impossible to find all on your own. I found a handful through exploration, but other times I found that I could nearly be standing on top of one and still not notice it, even when using a map. Some are placed next to interesting locations; huts, caves, tunnels, landmarks, etc. But some are just in the far-flung reaches of nothing with absolutely no clue whatsoever to suggest you should explore there. Save your sanity, use a map.

The exotics quest line is the same way. You have to collect dozens and dozens of different orchids, which only grow in certain specific locations and don't respawn. It is an utterly obnoxious quest and pretty much requires using a map. But, seeing as how I just finished it last night, I can say that the hat and gun you get as rewards are fly as hell.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

AC Odyssey even on a PC maxed out at 4k doesn't really come close to RDR 2. Metro Exodus with RTX is pretty damn close but... no. RDR2 isn't just visually stunning (easily the best LoD system of any open world game) but also has incredibly strong art direction. The way the game utilizes volumetric lighting to create atmosphere is beautiful. So many memorable moments just in the open world riding around.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AC Odyssey even on a PC maxed out at 4k doesn't really come close to RDR 2. Metro Exodus with RTX is pretty damn close but... no. RDR2 isn't just visually stunning (easily the best LoD system of any open world game) but also has incredibly strong art direction. The way the game utilizes volumetric lighting to create atmosphere is beautiful. So many memorable moments just in the open world riding around.

This. It's not even about resolution but more about the different aspects coming together to create atmosphere. I think RDR2 at 720 is prettier than AC: Odyssey maxed at 4K. That's not hyperbole but a testament to how Rockstar nailed the ambiance to the point where you stop pointing out individual discrepancies and start taking everything as a whole.

LOD meshes are amazing too. I counted eight different textures popping in in first person on a 4K display whereas odyssey only had three. Those are just the ones I could tell apart. Pretty damn cool.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The murder mysteries I found through normal gameplay just by riding around with cinematic camera on; the game subtly positions the camera to show you assorted viscera when you're near one, you just have to notice it. It's not super obvious, mind you, but I'd be riding along and see something and think "what the hell was that?" and it turns out to be an arm or whatever.

The rock carvings, dino bones and dreamcatchers are effectively impossible to find all on your own. I found a handful through exploration, but other times I found that I could nearly be standing on top of one and still not notice it, even when using a map. Some are placed next to interesting locations; huts, caves, tunnels, landmarks, etc. But some are just in the far-flung reaches of nothing with absolutely no clue whatsoever to suggest you should explore there. Save your sanity, use a map.

The exotics quest line is the same way. You have to collect dozens and dozens of different orchids, which only grow in certain specific locations and don't respawn. It is an utterly obnoxious quest and pretty much requires using a map. But, seeing as how I just finished it last night, I can say that the hat and gun you get as rewards are fly as hell.

Yeah, regarding finding the exotic flora, I was disappointed with how it's implemented. In RDR1, I loved finding all of the flowers and herbs, even though they were just given through a god-menu (e.g., you collected all of the flowers and "GOD" the menu just gave you your reward magically). I love that they had a mission-giver give you the quests to find all of them, but I *hate* how they are implemented as just randomly spread across the map.

In RDR1, I really enjoyed going to the different spots on the map to collect those plants ("That's the one!"), because it was a nice passive task to do while crushing beers late on a Friday night. In RDR2, it just beats you down in monotany.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, regarding finding the exotic flora, I was disappointed with how it's implemented. In RDR1, I loved finding all of the flowers and herbs, even though they were just given through a god-menu (e.g., you collected all of the flowers and "GOD" the menu just gave you your reward magically). I love that they had a mission-giver give you the quests to find all of them, but I *hate* how they are implemented as just randomly spread across the map.

In RDR1, I really enjoyed going to the different spots on the map to collect those plants ("That's the one!"), because it was a nice passive task to do while crushing beers late on a Friday night. In RDR2, it just beats you down in monotany.
In Red Dead Redemption 1, you also had the survivalist map to highlight plants on your map and make it significantly easier to find things. But RDR1 was also limited in terms of what you could find; there was very little overlap between the plants of various regions (e.g. you're never finding Prickly Pear outside of Mexico). I actually prefer RDR2 in that regard, and it gets you scanning your surroundings constantly to look for harvestable plants because you never know when you might need them. But some sort of map of the exotics (like what exists ingame for legendary fish and legendary animals) would certainly have been appreciated.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Feeling the same. After a longer break i decided to go back to this game and i i'm honestly floored by RDR2. I finished the game 4 months ago or so, but only now i really start to see how great this is in terms of an achievement for the medium.

It is incredible tbh.
Same here. I played through the whole game in about two weeks when it released. I've been replaying it now, though a lot more slowly, and it really is amazing.

Finding that perfect badger was just fucking tedious, though.

Oh well, just found the second murder scene last night. I know I found the last one randomly on my first playthrough and I *think* it was somewhere in the North.

Bummed about the other stuff, though, but expected.

Also, apparently you can't collect everything with Arthur, as some things are in New Austin? Btw how dumb is it that there's no way to get there as Arthur, even though he has voice lines, journal entries, etc. Hope that the inevitable PC version at least kind of addresses this (or maybe we get some story DLC (as if lol))

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm quite excited about those career paths. I spend all my online time in free roam.

Also, doggie!!

Does Era have any permanent posses rolling around?

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Hmm. Sounds interesting. Wonder if it'll be implemented in the story mode too.
I love Rockstar's games and I've always felt I got my money's worth concerning the SP, but their post-launch is just atrocious. I know I sound entitled, but compared to other devs (Ubi, CDPR) they just suck. Like, I know that Online's where all the money is, but come on!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I love Rockstar's games and I've always felt I got my money's worth concerning the SP, but their post-launch is just atrocious. I know I sound entitled, but compared to other devs (Ubi, CDPR) they just suck. Like, I know that Online's where all the money is, but come on!

There's been 1000 complaints and suggestions to things they could tweak in the SP but there's been close to zero notable QoL changes post launch. Pathetic for a game that has made so much money.

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
There's been a 1000 complaints and suggestions to things they could tweak in the SP but there's been close to zero notable QoL changes post launch. Pathetic for a game that has made so much money.
Right? It's been ten months and they've done nothing. Meanwhile there's Assassin's Creed: Odyssey which was just pumping out update after update, for free even.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
They've done a shitload of free updates for Red Dead Online.

In terms of SP tweaks, the horrific controls are the only thing I really wanted to see fixed.
Yeah, but they've done jack shit for the SP. I personally don't have any problems with the controls (though that another debate), but they could at least add in all the MP stuff to the SP or fix the whole loadout crap.

I'm just saying, other companies, like CDPR and Ubi, are capable at supporting their SPs, too. So why not Rockstar, which is arguably larger than those?

at least let us visit New Austin with Arthur :P

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to that all day on Apple music. Woody Jackson outdid himself with this one.

I do agree, though, it's a shame that so many game scores don't include all of the music that you hear in-game.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I never get why they never put ALL the tracks in the soundtrack. I'm personally missing Sodom Back To Gomorrha a lot.
They still seem tied to the notion that it needs to fit on a traditional CD even though that's been almost completely replaced by streaming and digital as a content delivery method. The thing that gets me is the lack of the house building song on either the official soundtrack or score. An entire mission based around a rhythm game set to a specific song written solely for the game and you don't include it on either of the official soundtracks that get released? What the shit?

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope there's an atmospherics album planned down the line. I understand that putting the entire score out is probably a lengthy task given the volume of work and you want to get the big hitters on there but there's so much absent from the official release that I love. There's a particular track that plays while roaming Rhodes and its surrounding that I haven't for the life of me been able to find since release.

EDIT: Come on man, not even the track from the mission where you rescue Sean is on there!

Last edited: