• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I loaded this up with my new X and man it was amazing to not hear my Xbox fan HOWLING. Whisper quiet.

This game is amazing and I want to replay the campaign again..

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I've decided it's time to mark this off the backlog. Opened up the case just now, and...holy cow it's two discs!? Is this the only two disc game on PS4? How long is this gonna take to install lol...

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've decided it's time to mark this off the backlog. Opened up the case just now, and...holy cow it's two discs!? Is this the only two disc game on PS4? How long is this gonna take to install lol...
25m if I don't remember wrong
Pretty sure it was north of an hour but I could be misremembering; I do remember feeling very frustrated cause my hype levels were through the roof and it was already midnight when I got home. And you'll probably have to download updates after the initial install, so there's some additional time there.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Pretty sure it was north of an hour but I could be misremembering; I do remember feeling very frustrated cause my hype levels were through the roof and it was already midnight when I got home. And you'll probably have to download updates after the initial install, so there's some additional time there.

Yeah it actually took ages lol.

I just played a couple tutorial levels and managed to save manually now that I'm in a camp. Wow, I was already expecting this but has to be reiterated: this game is gorgeous. And thankfully yes, it's polished and handles like a dream. I have zero complaints so far.

1] Works out of the box
2] The tutorial isn't an incoherent clusterfuck

Just eases you into the narrative and gameplay step by step, rather than throwing you into the deep end and drowning you in notifications like some other games I've played lately. I'm still wrapping my head around the control scheme, need to google it and memorise it, because there's a ton of stuff to remember, some of it based on context, long pressing d-pads versus tapping them, etc.

I also was not expecting the health/stamina bar depleting over time, and how indepth the game goes into your character's weight, temperature, etc. I've already noticed tons of attention to detail which I absolutely love in games. Like my horse getting unsettled when I walked it past another dead horse on the mountain top in the tutorial level.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah it actually took ages lol.

I just played a couple tutorial levels and managed to save manually now that I'm in a camp. Wow, I was already expecting this but has to be reiterated: this game is gorgeous. And thankfully yes, it's polished and handles like a dream. I have zero complaints so far.

1] Works out of the box
2] The tutorial isn't an incoherent clusterfuck

Just eases you into the narrative and gameplay step by step, rather than throwing you into the deep end and drowning you in notifications like some other games I've played lately. I'm still wrapping my head around the control scheme, need to google it and memorise it, because there's a ton of stuff to remember, some of it based on context, long pressing d-pads versus tapping them, etc.

I also was not expecting the health/stamina bar depleting over time, and how indepth the game goes into your character's weight, temperature, etc. I've already noticed tons of attention to detail which I absolutely love in games. Like my horse getting unsettled when I walked it past another dead horse on the mountain top in the tutorial level.
One little tip that the game mentions once and then never touches on again; when your horse gets spooked or when you're pushing them at a heavy gallop, pushing and holding in the left stick for a second will have Arthur give some reassurance, which calms them in the case of predators nearby, and will refill a little of their stamina meter depending on your level of bonding. You can do a quick tap of L3 as well, but the push and hold works better.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
One little tip that the game mentions once and then never touches on again; when your horse gets spooked or when you're pushing them at a heavy gallop, pushing and holding in the left stick for a second will have Arthur give some reassurance, which calms them in the case of predators nearby, and will refill a little of their stamina meter depending on your level of bonding. You can do a quick tap of L3 as well, but the push and hold works better.

Thanks, will add that to my notes, I do remember the L3 tutorial but you only use it once during the mission and I already forgot it. I also saw 'cinematic camera' (PS4 touchpad) notification pop up, and only had a brief moment to use it. I guess that's something to use when you're racing your horse across long distances?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Thanks, will add that to my notes, I do remember the L3 tutorial but you only use it once during the mission and I already forgot it. I also saw 'cinematic camera' (PS4 touchpad) notification pop up, and only had a brief moment to use it. I guess that's something to use when you're racing your horse across long distances?
Yeah, and I would recommend using it often. The game is pretty good about having cinematic camera showcase landmarks and other various points of interest that might come up later and trigger you to think "oh, I remember where that is." Familiarizes you with the world in a way that's more functional than just staring at your horse's behind. You can also use cinematic camera for things like sitting around the campfire in camp, but that's not really useful. And another tip, pushing in the right stick will cycle the cinematic camera to the next angle, so if it feels like you've been stuck on a lame one for a while, tap R3 and move on.

Also, when you engage cinematic camera on a ride where you've set a waypoint, hold X for about 5 seconds as you engage cinematic camera and you'll engage autopilot so your horse will just take you to your destination without you having to hit anything. You'll know it works because Arthur drops his right hand down to his side (it's subtle but you'll notice it once you've seen what to look for).

Oct 25, 2017
Just starting out in online (I have not touched singleplayer yet, and probably will not til I am done GTA5). Not really sure what to think of the game so far. But it reminds me of GTAO where you get a little bit of direction and then literally no direction at all. The guy says he will buy horses off you, so I steal a horse and go to the stable where I think I am supposed to go and I cannot enter the stable. I look at the map for directions and there is nothing.

So I go into town to sell my hunting materials. Again, no idea how to sell. Go to general store, I do not see how to sell.

Seems like a fun game though.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Got to chapter 2, and just spent an hour walking around the camp, picking up objects and talking to everyone. It was 8pm in-game by the time I was done, so I figured Arthur would call it a night and went to bed. Somehow I end up treating every game like it's a simulator genre lol...

Even the collectables in this game are high quality, the book The Deceitful German was especially hilarious.

The wagon drive to the camp in the transition between chapter 1 and 2 was especially striking, because you can see so much wildlife and particle effects along the way, the forests were teeming with life, bunnies and deer darting around the environment. It's such a stunning game.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Getting near to the end of chapter 6. I like the game, but my two complaints are that 1) it feels like I pretty much just held down the A button for 40 hours, and 2) the very long story is essentially:

10 "We need money to move out of here to get away from the people trying to kill us. Let's rob something".
20 "That robbery did not go well, and now more people are trying to kill us"
30 GOTO 10

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Getting near to the end of chapter 6. I like the game, but my two complaints are that 1) it feels like I pretty much just held down the A button for 40 hours, and 2) the very long story is essentially:

10 "We need money to move out of here to get away from the people trying to kill us. Let's rob something".
20 "That robbery did not go well, and now more people are trying to kill us"
30 GOTO 10

I don't think that's the story, that's the pretense for the story. The story is how the relationship changes between Arthur, Dutch, John, and the other members of the gang. I think RDR2 does story very well and does it uniquely for a videogame, in that it's a story about how characters' relationships change.

Contrasting it to Red Dead Redemption, John Marston is basically the same person at the start of RDR1 as he is at the end. The characters around John don't change either. RDR2 isn't that. Arthur and Dutch change throughout the events of the game, and their relationship changes. Ultimately, RDR2 is a story about relationships, but it's pretty unique for a game to be a story about relationships ... especially ones that aren't videogame storytelling tropes (e.g., father and son, boyfriend/girlfriend, savior/hostage, etc).

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I had no problems with this game for 30 hours now I can't play half an hour without getting a gfx error crash. What should I do? I already deleted the vulkan files in the documents and verified the Steam installation files.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a good up to date new player guide for online?

We've got a pretty active OT thread for online linked in the post above mine.

RD Online is pretty easy to get into and I think genuinely waaaay better than GTA Online. Unfortunately there's some annoying nagging bugs that have been introduced in the last few weeks, and some bugs that have been around for months.

In getting started, I'd create your guy and do the required intro stuff, then launch into the story missions marked by yellow indicators. You'll get a lot of content pretty early on, you don't need to really spend any money at all... You get some decent guns to start, your horse sucks but honestly the intro horse was fine for how I played. You might have some free gold (the microtransaction currency) from rockstar and can get started on a "role" if so... The roles are where most of the content comes from, you can do all three, and I'dg o into the role that fits your playing style the most.

Like, in Red Dead single player I really love the collection stuff in the world, and so the "Collector" role is my favorite. In RD Online, it's also the most lucrative... I never do the grindy collect-a-thons that a lot of "Wealthy" players do, I just collect stuff when I'm near it (there's indicators on the map and your controller that give you hints where collectibles are) and then usually I get close enought o complete a collection, sell it in the game, and have more money than I know what to do with.

Every day there are daily challenges, ALA GTA Online,a nd completing those pays out in gold, the MTX currency... As you complete challenges you earn up a "streak" for completing at least 1 a day, and you get more gold each subsequent day. If you're dedicatedf to signing on for 5mins every day, you can basically start getting into a streak where you'll have enough gold to pay for all of the content that's locked behind gold in the game.

The "Outlaw Passes" are worth it and you'll make back any real life money / MTX gold that you spent on them. By completing dailies and getting random gold gifts from Rockstar for various events, I've always had enough gold for the Outlaw Passes, so I've "bought" them and then in playing throiugh the outlaw pass you get all of your gold investment back plus a little more usually.

One major difference with RD Online from GTA Online is that like 99% of players are friendly, I'd say, and there's very few griefers... the griefers you do run into are easy to get away from, as you usually spawn kinda far away and can ride off easily if they're near you and bothering you. It seems to be one of the friendliest online communities I've played with.

People will invite you to their posses occassionally, which is fun because it'll usually be a group of people trying to do things like collect bounties or do mass collect-a-thons and it's easier in groups. This is pretty fun and I'd encourage it if someone invites you and you have a mic.

Few persistent bugs to deal with right now:

1) The Trader Role is bugged because there aren't enough animals spawning in most sessions. Basically you need a session under 20 players to get consistent varied animal spawns, and for the last ~month or two that hasn't happened. It's really annoying if you're doing the Trader Role or if you enjoy hunting in the game, which is a blast.

2) A lot of players are running ito a bug where the game hangs/pauses doing the Moonshiner Role, I haven't run into this at all on Xbox One X, like not once, but it's very common where most people in the RD Online thread mention running into it.

3) Unfortunately similar to the animal frequency, the ambient events in the world like "Random Encounters," gang hideouts, and other ambient activities rarely trrigger in large sessions (20+ people). THere's still group challenges every ~10-15 mins that start up and you can opt into them. Those are usually pretty fun the first few times... Like, a defend the train one (everybody gets spawned on a train and you defend it against robbers), king of the hill, etc.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I loved the epilogue, loved Sadie,
loved the fact that Sadie survives

Gameplay wise there's a bunch of niggling flaws that ultimately become huge flaws due to the sheer size of the game. Not least the bizarre fast travel restrictions, nor the constant replacing of your weapon loadout without your consent.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Riding my horse, random dude invited me to a can-shooting competition. He won, so I paid up fair and square. Accidentally got on his horse and he went apeshit, firing at me. I had to shoot him in the head.

:|

Btw, do I need to pay attention to donating stuff to the camp or can I largely ignore that element of the game? I've donated a pig and some cash, but not really feeling like it's having much of a difference on anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Riding my horse, random dude invited me to a can-shooting competition. He won, so I paid up fair and square. Accidentally got on his horse and he went apeshit, firing at me. I had to shoot him in the head.

:|

Btw, do I need to pay attention to donating stuff to the camp or can I largely ignore that element of the game? I've donated a pig and some cash, but not really feeling like it's having much of a difference on anything.
You don't need to donate to camp. Eventually you unlock the ability to upgrade your camp, and one of the camp upgrades allows Pearson to craft satchel upgrades for you which increases your carrying capacity, so that's certainly worth investing in when the time comes. But the other stuff is strictly optional.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the epilogue, loved Sadie,
loved the fact that Sadie survives

Gameplay wise there's a bunch of niggling flaws that ultimately become huge flaws due to the sheer size of the game. Not least the bizarre fast travel restrictions, nor the constant replacing of your weapon loadout without your consent.

YEah the weapon loadout thing was the most annoying. After a while I decided to just "live with it," but it's one of those annoying diversions that Rockstar has made as they've moved away from creating sandbox games and more towards telling an interactive movie story. Like, the hallmark of, say, GTAIII -> SA is that if you happened to have a rocket launcher, you could take that rocket launcher into a mission if you wanted to .. and literally your enemy can be bringing a knife to a rocket launcher fight. It was one of those things that the GTA games gave freedom to do over other action games, where other games wouldn't let you get access to a weapon like that early on, and so you'd always be roughly equipped the same as your enemies. That's one of those things that made GTA a sandbox.

Rockstar started to move away from that with IV for th emost part, and then they've been caught between worlds with RDR1 and GTAV. RDR2 is really the first Rockstar open world game where they're like "Nope, we're controlling everything for you," but because it's built on the recipe of their previous games there's a tension... The game lets you buy guns, customize guns, have a ton of guns on your horse, but...... Start a mission and the game replaces whatever customized special gun that you want to use with... Whatever they think you should have for this mission. Worse off, it disrupts the flow of the game, and it introduces a schitzophrenic nature to the player and Arthur. Are you, the player, Arthur Morgan? Or is the game Arthur Morgan and you're just watching?

It's something that I wish they just patched and chalk it up as a frustrating, failed experiment. Let people go OP into a mission if they want to, or let them be outgunned if they pick the wrong gun. It's a game where they let you stagger through the world haggard and tired if you refuse to eat, or they let you grow a beard down to your stomach if you never shave. But, they don't let you choose your own guns?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
YEah the weapon loadout thing was the most annoying. After a while I decided to just "live with it," but it's one of those annoying diversions that Rockstar has made as they've moved away from creating sandbox games and more towards telling an interactive movie story. Like, the hallmark of, say, GTAIII -> SA is that if you happened to have a rocket launcher, you could take that rocket launcher into a mission if you wanted to .. and literally your enemy can be bringing a knife to a rocket launcher fight. It was one of those things that the GTA games gave freedom to do over other action games, where other games wouldn't let you get access to a weapon like that early on, and so you'd always be roughly equipped the same as your enemies. That's one of those things that made GTA a sandbox.

Rockstar started to move away from that with IV for th emost part, and then they've been caught between worlds with RDR1 and GTAV. RDR2 is really the first Rockstar open world game where they're like "Nope, we're controlling everything for you," but because it's built on the recipe of their previous games there's a tension... The game lets you buy guns, customize guns, have a ton of guns on your horse, but...... Start a mission and the game replaces whatever customized special gun that you want to use with... Whatever they think you should have for this mission. Worse off, it disrupts the flow of the game, and it introduces a schitzophrenic nature to the player and Arthur. Are you, the player, Arthur Morgan? Or is the game Arthur Morgan and you're just watching?

It's something that I wish they just patched and chalk it up as a frustrating, failed experiment. Let people go OP into a mission if they want to, or let them be outgunned if they pick the wrong gun. It's a game where they let you stagger through the world haggard and tired if you refuse to eat, or they let you grow a beard down to your stomach if you never shave. But, they don't let you choose your own guns?
Yeah you put it exactly right, same things I was thinking as I was playing. Exactly.

Hey, here's an emergent open world! Except we (Rockstar) want to exercise complete control whenever you're in our narrative.

At a certain point I honestly think the Housers should just go ahead and make a movie.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Is there a way to skip the gun cleaning animation?

EDIT: also, my beard's all fucked up. Ever since I experimented with a goatee, now I can't seem to get the hair to grow at the same rate all across my face, so I always end up with a fucked up style where there's more hair growing in my chops than my chin or vice versa. All I wanted was a stubble look but I just can't recreate it anymore, only choice is to go clean shaven to not look like a crazy homeless person.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Is there a way to skip the gun cleaning animation?

EDIT: also, my beard's all fucked up. Ever since I experimented with a goatee, now I can't seem to get the hair to grow at the same rate all across my face, so I always end up with a fucked up style where there's more hair growing in my chops than my chin or vice versa. All I wanted was a stubble look but I just can't recreate it anymore, only choice is to go clean shaven to not look like a crazy homeless person.

At the camp there is an option to trim all facial hair to a certain length. It's the first option. Evens out the beard.

If you hold down the clean weapon button it speeds up the animation. Same goes for cooking meat over the fire.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
At the camp there is an option to trim all facial hair to a certain length. It's the first option. Evens out the beard.

If I trim all facial hair, it grows back uneven. Either moustache grows first, or chops, etc, etc. My beard is so fucked up, I don't know what kind of weird coding is going on. It doesn't happen in real life!

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the best horse to get?

What's the best gun to use if I like to use the auto aim?

Fastest horse is the white Arabian but it's the size of a large pony, gets dirty quickly, is skittish and has low health. They recently added three new top-level horses to single player. Google that if you're interested.

For guns a set of Schofields and the Lancaster repeater is all you need to beat the game. I prefer the upgraded Cattleman though and use the pump shotgun all the time as well. Especially with slugs.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I trim all facial hair, it grows back uneven. Either moustache grows first, or chops, etc, etc. My beard is so fucked up, I don't know what kind of weird coding is going on. It doesn't happen in real life!

This happened to me and the all option fixed it. Assuming you're using the slider for all and not just setting each slider manually for the same length, sounds like a bug. If all you're going for is stubble then just clean shave and that will grow in in like an hour though.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I started this game a couple weeks ago and I absolutely did not expect to fall in love with it like I have. I am not getting tired out of it, which I usually do get tired of large open world games about 30-40 hours in. I think a large part of this is just the sheer amount of dialogue and how no missions are really as cookie cutter as most open world games. Even if some kind of are, there is always interesting narrative stuff.

Also doesn't need to be said but visually it's a real treat.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
If you hold down the clean weapon button it speeds up the animation. Same goes for cooking meat over the fire.

Thanks for this tip btw, I don't know how I missed it.

I was riding through Valentine and watched a hanging, which was quite disturbing. Sat on my horse and watched the widow of the criminal crying by herself for a minute after everyone wandered off, before she picked herself up and walked off herself. I swear her entire crying voice over was one long take by the actor, not on a loop or anything.

I followed her, and Arthur was like "hey, sorry for your loss, I'm..uh, sure he was a nice guy" and she was like "leave me alone!".

I wasn't a fan of GTAV, but this game reminds me how immersive Rockstar games are, I just love all the attention to detail. Because of the immersive nature, I feel like shit when I accidentally kill someone lol.

I also felt fucking terrible doing those horrible loanshark missions. I had to beat a Polish guy who couldn't speak English in his own home. Tried to do the bare minimum damage to the poor bastard before looting his house. Glad even Arthur felt shitty about it afterwards.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for this tip btw, I don't know how I missed it.

I was riding through Valentine and watched a hanging, which was quite disturbing. Sat on my horse and watched the widow of the criminal crying by herself for a minute after everyone wandered off, before she picked herself up and walked off herself. I swear her entire crying voice over was one long take by the actor, not on a loop or anything.

I followed her, and Arthur was like "hey, sorry for your loss, I'm..uh, sure he was a nice guy" and she was like "leave me alone!".

I wasn't a fan of GTAV, but this game reminds me how immersive Rockstar games are, I just love all the attention to detail. Because of the immersive nature, I feel like shit when I accidentally kill someone lol.

I also felt fucking terrible doing those horrible loanshark missions. I had to beat a Polish guy who couldn't speak English in his own home. Tried to do the bare minimum damage to the poor bastard before looting his house. Glad even Arthur felt shitty about it afterwards.

It's those little details that separate the world from so many others. Like the ability to directly comment to the widow.

I've played the game for like 200 hours and have never
"accidentally killed someone," though so not sure how you're doing that ... but it's good you feel bad about it I guess!

Regarding the Polish guy, he starts off not speaking English, but if you loot his house, then go loot his barn and walk his horse out like you're going to take that too, he runs out of the house and suddenly speaks pretty fluent English and begs you to leave the horse.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It's those little details that separate the world from so many others. Like the ability to directly comment to the widow.

I've played the game for like 200 hours and have never let "accidentally killed someone," though so not sure how you're doing that ... but it's good you feel bad about it I guess!

Regarding the Polish guy, he starts off not speaking English, but if you loot his house, then go loot his barn and walk his horse out like you're going to take that too, he runs out of the house and suddenly speaks pretty fluent English and begs you to leave the horse.

That's hilarious haha. I also saw a tip online that said to point a gun at blind beggars to filter out the fakers LOL.

Accidental killing is so easy in this game, like running someone over or snapping their neck instead of punching them, or shooting them instead of lassoing them. Well, if you're still getting used to the controls anyway, hopefully I won't be like this in the last chapter of the game! I don't like save-scumming either, especially in RPGs, I like to live with consequences.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this one Steam, looked at the amount of space required to install, got intimidated, and asked for a refund.

How much am I going to regret passing on this.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this one Steam, looked at the amount of space required to install, got intimidated, and asked for a refund.

It's one of the best games I've ever played. Put about 120 hours on a single play through on PS4 and want to come back and get it on PC and play it again. It clicked with me really well.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Depends on what sort of game you tend to enjoy. It's a very long singleplayer experience that tends to favor a slow pace with a strong focus on exploring a very richly detailed world that punishes you for treating it like other sandbox games (GTA V with horses this is not). The story is excellent provided you like Westerns, the characters are excellent, the graphics and world are jaw-dropping, the gameplay is passable though not revelatory in any way, the side content can be hit or miss, but what the game does well, it does as well or better than any game ever. It's a sensational singleplayer experience if the setting and format appeal to you.

I can't speak to the online component as I haven't tried it. I hated GTAO and it permanently turned me off multiplayer in any Rockstar open world title.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what sort of game you tend to enjoy. It's a very long singleplayer experience that tends to favor a slow pace with a strong focus on exploring a very richly detailed world that punishes you for treating it like other sandbox games (GTA V with horses this is not). The story is excellent provided you like Westerns, the characters are excellent, the graphics and world are jaw-dropping, the gameplay is passable though not revelatory in any way, the side content can be hit or miss, but what the game does well, it does as well or better than any game ever. It's a sensational singleplayer experience if the setting and format appeal to you.

I can't speak to the online component as I haven't tried it. I hated GTAO and it permanently turned me off multiplayer in any Rockstar open world title.

This is probably the best, most honest, hyperbole-free description of the game I've read on these boards. Well said.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game yesterday. Here is my opinion:

The Good:
- wonderful world design with incredible attention to details
- amazing graphics (played it on base PS4 and it was mind blowing, cant even imagine how it looks on PC)
- engaging (if a little too slow) story and characters
- tons of meaningful content (main story, stranger missions, hunting etc.)

The Bad:
- Very restrictive and repetitive mission design
- aiming without auto-aim feels off
- my weapons kept being unequipped for the whole game
- the game didnt feel truly committed to all its systems. Upgrading the satchel and the camp, hunting legendary animals for new clothes, eating/drinking etc. all felt a little too shallow for me, maybe because the game is too easy.

Overall between a 7/10 and a 8/10 game imo.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I fired this up today because of the new content added for the single player, but it doesn't seem to have populated the map. Is there something I need to do to trigger the new missions? Keeping in mind I'm in a post game save so I've pretty much finished all main and side content.

edit: can't seem to find/enter photo mode either. I wonder if the update properly installed...