• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I might actually finish it this time.

Low FPS and horrible controls killed it for me.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
uuh... okay?
I was referring to the "Acti is not on 3rd Party stores anymore" statement while Activision literally just released another game on a 3rd party store
Ah, I'm getting "Sorry, that page doesn't exist!" on twitter. Maybe deleted. Ubisoft games are on multiple third party stores anyway, so yeah, that person was wrong there.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Destiny isn't a Activision title anymore and it's also the 4th most played game on Steam right now.

I was just wondering why he would use Activision as an example why big publishers will not release on 3rd party stores but only on their own platform + EGS instead while its simply factually incorrect because Activision still release on 3rd party stores like Steam. The other example (EA) is also kinda ... not fitting because they left 3rd party stores way before the EGS was a thing.

Edit: seems like the original Tweet got deleted
Yes, destiny is on Steam now- since Activision has nothing to do with the title anymore.

I don't see how that contradicts my assertion that Activision is only willing to release complete, un-monetizable single-player experiences onto other stores.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
The best looking game of all time is about to get prettier.

I can't believe I still haven't beaten it considering I started it pretty much a year ago. I'm on the last chapter, and I do still play it from time to time. Hope I didn't ruin the whole experience

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Activision literally just released a game on Steam. What is going on with those Tweets?

And this didn't even bother releasing Spyro anywhere outside Steam. (until today it made Humble Bundle).

Likely no heavy microtransactions, but Anno does have dlc which if bought on Steam shares profits with Valve for the Steam users. I wonder if Ubisoft can do what MMO Steam games apparently can't, allow Steam players to buy the mtx+dlc on the UPlay launcher since they need the storefront to play their games anyway. You can buy a limited amount of mtx with Uplay points there, I'm not sure about DLC though.

There's no rule against that. You're allowed to sell DLC and MTXN anywhere where you want. You just can't advertise that in-game when launched from Steam.

Rockstar did it with GTA V microtransactions too.
Ubisoft allows using Uplay versions of DLC on Steam on some games (including Anno 1800, 2205, Butwhole, Siege), but don't advertise or recommend it.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Edit: Indeed, I think it's for the best to just ignore.

Last edited:

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Ah. The easiest EGS wait ever! I've resisted buying the PS4 version of RDR2 until now, one month is nothing especially given how many 2019 games I still have in the backlog.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then why bother releasing it on Steam at all? They could go Ubisoft if they really care about those cuts. People who don't want to use EGS just use uPlay directly that can be seen from Ubisoft's statement about Division 2 player numbers. Then there is Stadia which also take 30% cut.

I don't think it's about cut, maybe there is an entity that doesn't want RDR2 to release day 1 on Steam.
They want to drive people to the platform where they'll get the biggest cut: but they're not naive. Many people like Steam, so they also want it available there to maximise sales. And yes I'm fairly sure EGS paid for 1 month exclusivity.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
If i were to release RDR2 i'd do it in this exact same way. Release on own store first, other stores providing more income than Steam shortly later and Steam following a month after that. Grab as much money as you can from people who don't care about launchers and then let the Steam-only crowd in a month after.

If i were Epic, one month would not be worth it at all, considering it'll release later than Rockstar's own store anyway.
Just because it's in TT's financial interest does not mean Epic didn't pay them, and Epic would absolutely pay for a month, this is their buisiness strategy.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I think the biggest questions are:

1. Will all versions have the same DRM, requiring the Rockstar launcher no matter where you purchased the game?
2. Will the game be always-online because of that, even in single-player mode, ruling out the possibility of mods/trainers?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
there are actually people that don't like multiplatform games heading to PC... but... why?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I think the biggest questions are:

1. Will all versions have the same DRM, requiring the Rockstar launcher no matter where you purchased the game?
2. Will the game be always-online because of that, even in single-player mode, ruling out the possibility of mods/trainers?

Yes and No based on GTA V.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I will say this.. If Rockstar dares to put RTX support for their lighting model, and PBR system - I don't see a game (save a rare few) surpassing it technically throughout the entire next-gen cycle. The game already dwarfs (as a whole graphically) anything that we've come to experience so far. Realistically, they have a LOT of raw power left on the table with top tier Nvidia GPUs (i.e. 2080Tis, etc..), so they can go all out to bring those boards to their knees.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i've waited this long i can wait an extra month to get the Steam version....or i could just get it through Rockstar. Not touching Epic.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
There's no rule against that. You're allowed to sell DLC and MTXN anywhere where you want. You just can't advertise that in-game when launched from Steam.

Rockstar did it with GTA V microtransactions too.
Ubisoft allows using Uplay versions of DLC on Steam on some games (including Anno 1800, 2205, Butwhole, Siege), but don't advertise or recommend it.
Oh that's interesting, thanks for that bit of information. The MMO games I'm familiar with that went to Steam after launching fit the category of having a MTX store in the game. Some of them split the accounts not allowing a steam account player to use the standalone version unless they start over (Black Desert Online**), require you to rebuy the game or dlc but you can use the same account (FFXIV), or just universally count any account that ever tried the steam version as a steam mtx purchase even if the player never played the Steam version again (source David Brevik talking about Marvel Heroes Steam situation on his wife's stream, people said it was a bit much, but he told them it was well worth the exposure for their game).

A lot of UBI games have MTX stores in-game too: Assassin's Creed f2p looking mtx store, For Honor, and The Crew 2 have that. The Crew 2 launched last year before EGS so I guess it's one of the last to show up on Steam.

XuXBTFD.png

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if December, being the fact that is such a big holiday, was considerably more expensive than any other month in the calendar, say they could have gotten two months if it released in October, and that was still cheaper than getting December alone.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm going to be much more broke than I expected. Call of Duty, RDR2, Pokemon and maybe even that Star Wars game (I'm leaning towards yes).

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
People are getting really salty.

Damn son, these people are sad!

Now you PC players can finally experience the greatness us consoles players have for over a year :)

Too bad everybody knows the game and how it ends and stuff like that but atleast you get mods and high fps

Is this satire and an attempt to fish for attention? Because otherwise this is some seriously sad and petty shit.

Be careful if you choose to read that post because they pull no punches with spoilers in their replies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That's the thing: GTA V launched long before the introduction of the Rockstar launcher. What's stopping them from making always-online a requirement for newer releases, from now on?

Rockstar Launcher is just upgraded downloader for their games. And they won't make it always online because they don't care how you play SP games, money is in MP portion.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
User Warned: Trolling, Antagonizing other users.
here is hoping this pushes the Steam fanboys to realize Steam taking 30% is too much.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
What was here before it became unavailable?

he deleted because he got owned in the replies?

its all competing interests
-of course T2 will take Epic's money, why not? They give no shits if the deal makes sense for Epic or not.
-but they know how well GTAV did on steam and can't limit themselves to being RSC/EGS exclusive because that is leaving A LOT of money on the table
-EGS's only interest is fucking over Steam in any way they can, big or small. They'll take 1 month because they aren't in a position to negotiate anything more advantageous
-If it were all about margins, why Stadia?
-Both T2 and EGS have an interest in testing the market - does 1 month exclusivity make a difference?

Everyone involved only cares about their own bottom line
-T2 gets free money from Epic and they skim the difference from anyone who buys a RSC key
-Epic needs to delegitimize Steam at every available opportunity (they won't get this chance with CP2077, for example)
-T2 knows Steam is where they'll actually make the bulk of their PC money, so its not like they could do RSC/EGS only

Last edited:

jenya

Oct 27, 2017
Why even bother with a delay if it's that soon? will it be cracked by December?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I waited for this instead of playing it when it came out.
Good reminder to maybe hold off on Death Stranding before the final hype wave sweeps over me.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Welp. Safe to say we all saw this coming as soon as the launcher was announced. I'm very surprised that they are releasing it to other PC platforms though. They're pretty smart doing timed exclusivity and the discounted prices on their store. Overall, smart moves from Rockstar with this one.....also google stadia!? But then when i think of it, since stadia are basically PCs that's not too much of a hassle to do. That's still pretty big though. Hoping I can transfer what little progress I made in online over to PC and would be super awesome if they manage to do single player also. I feel like the first one has be coming at some point in the same manner.

With all the big hitters coming out in late October and November, and considering I beat it already, I think I can wait for December for the steam release.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
That's the thing: GTA V launched long before the introduction of the Rockstar launcher. What's stopping them from making always-online a requirement for newer releases, from now on?
Rockstar "launcher" has been there since the release of GTA V under the Social Club title. The current one is more of a overhaul with the idea of creating a client rather than a literal launcher.

So there's no guarantee of anything, but I don't see why they'd implement online restrictions all of a sudden!

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I was eyeing a RDR2 copy for PS4 that was super discounted the other day.

Great news for PC users! I wonder if I can run this .

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Great to hear, hopefully the first Red Dead will get a PC release as well. I'm expecting the modding community to if they don't.

A lot of the barren areas in New Austin make for a great opportunity to recreate RD1, too bad it's just there for consoles

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Rockstar Launcher is just upgraded downloader for their games. And they won't make it always online because they don't care how you play SP games, money is in MP portion.
The most popular mode in GTAV is already online only, so there's that hah.
Rockstar "launcher" has been there since the release of GTA V under the Social Club title. The current one is more of a overhaul with the idea of creating a client rather than a literal launcher.

So there's no guarantee of anything, but I don't see why they'd implement online restrictions all of a sudden!

I'm always concerned about stuff like this, especially when it comes to Rockstar.

L.A. Noire on PC requiring Social Club makes absolute zero sense, and yet, the requirement is still there to this day.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always concerned about stuff like this, especially when it comes to Rockstar.

L.A. Noire on PC requiring Social Club makes absolute zero sense, and yet, the requirement is still there to this day.

Eh they are still one of the rare companies that actually makes web pages with your stats and achievements including L.A. Noire. They just want your data don;t worry xD

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

They are probably still interested in data for their SP games, and may use their launcher to collect it rather than Valve being a middleman for that info.

kimbaka

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, didn't think it was going to come to Steam at all. Gives me time to scout Black Friday for nice PC deals as well since this one is getting old.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Lol how sad epic probably paid millions to keep the game off steam for 1 month. Pathetic.