• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
150gb is insane. Publishers need to give buyers the option of installing tighter versions of a game. I personally wouldn't mind downloading the game with super extra compressed audio clips and textures to lower game size to perhaps 30gb.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
150GB is A LOT.
Is there any chance we could just install the single player?
Considering GTA V... I guess not at all.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
The difference between the 2500k and 4770k esp when the old sandy CPU is overclocked is basically nothing, except for HT. It seems the GPU will be more important than the CPU requirement...which is good in my book.

Brings up another question for newer CPU's - did they optimise it to use those extra coes / threads?

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahhahahahhahahahahahhaha

I remember last week people were expecting the specs to be huge, huge! "Can my 2070 ti and currently awesome CPU run this at 4k???"

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Pcgamer mentions new missions, horses and guns but the link goes nowhere. What gives? Posted too early? I want to see the screenshots and info.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's looking for additional storage, SSD's are getting pretty affordable. You can get an Intel 2TB NVMe drive for $200. It's cheaper storage, so you'll want to make sure you keep the capacity under 90%, but it's a very fast and affordable drive, and perfect for gaming.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My 1080ti is gonna body this just like it's bodied every game the last few years.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm surprised they have an even better draw distance, even Digital Foundry was astonished by how far it was in the console versions.
Actually once you get a really fast horse/actually focus on certain details you start noticing the pop in (actually the more detailed model change) quite a lot, so yeah, it's good to have that option on PC.

And yes, those specs need to die, they means nothing, raccomended could be easly intended for 1080p 30fps.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
newswire post is up

some tidbits
Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC takes full advantage of the power of the PC to bring every corner of this massive, rich and detailed world to life from the windswept snowy peaks of the Grizzly Mountains to the dusty roads of Lemoyne; from the mud-spattered storefronts of Valentine to the cobbled streets of St Denis. New graphical and technical enhancements for deeper immersion include increased draw distances for better navigation; higher quality global illumination and ambient occlusion for improved day and night lighting; higher quality snow trails, improved reflections and deeper, higher resolution shadows at all distances; tessellated tree textures and improved grass and fur textures for added realism in every plant and animal.
Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC also offers HDR support, the ability to run high-end display setups with 4K resolution and beyond, multi-monitor configurations, widescreen configurations, faster frame rates and more.

I would link the screenshots, but they seem to be broken

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Letters
posted too early. rockstar hasnt posted anything on newswire yet.
It's all on R* launcher, enjoy (maybe Stygr can add it in first post, I've put both Special and Ultimate contents in one image ^^ ):

RDR2-PC-bonus.png

edit: price info on the two versions on R* Game Launcher

rdr.png

rdr2.png

rdr-preorder.png

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So if I bought the Ultimate version on PS4, should I just buy the special edition on PC? Aren't all the bonuses for RDO?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
My specs are this and nothing OC or anything.

Intel Core i7-8700 (6 cores, 12 threads), I don't even know off hand what the base clock frequency or boost clock is on this thing. It's an IBuyPower midsize full desktop computer.

16 GB DRR4 - probably one of the slower clocks like 2400 or 2666.

RTX 2070 (vanilla) with 8GB GDDR6.

1TB SSD.

Hooked up via HDMI 2.0 to a 2016 50 inch Samsung 4K, HDR10 TV.

Should I play at 1080p 60fps, with very high settings, RTX OFF (if RDR2 is RTX supported),

Should I play at 4K 30fps with Ultra settings (RTX OFF)

or should I go for 1440p,very high settings and RTX effects ON and hope it doesn't dip below 60fps.

I think you should have the best compromise which is the latetr one. Few drops in FPS and resolution to get better graphics is a must especially if there is RTX. I always opt for higher graphics than resolution or FPS in both PC and PS4 Pro. You will be fine.
I still don't think it has RTX though. the world is so massive it will be extremely hard to implement any RT tech to it and even if they did, I don't think even the RTX 2080Ti will be able to run it, let alone a lower GPU.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
And unfortunately my PC is under both CPU and GPU specs which is kind of what I expected but I was hoping I would be able to maybe hit the minimums. I will still probably give it a go on Steam and refund within the 2 hour window if its just too bad to go on.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Very tame recommended system spec outside of space requirement, expected game to push more HW.

Not that I mind that much at the end, just means my i7 9700K @ 5GHz and 2080Ti should do well in 3440 x 1440.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Did Rockstar tell something about the possibility to import your RDO character from console?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
My 980ti/6700k *should* produce nice results, but wow @ that HDD requirement.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, the performance was acceptable on base consoles so I was expecting the PC recommended specs to be reasonable.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My specs are this and nothing OC or anything.

Intel Core i7-8700 (6 cores, 12 threads), I don't even know off hand what the base clock frequency or boost clock is on this thing. It's an IBuyPower midsize full desktop computer.

16 GB DRR4 - probably one of the slower clocks like 2400 or 2666.

RTX 2070 (vanilla) with 8GB GDDR6.

1TB SSD.

Hooked up via HDMI 2.0 to a 2016 50 inch Samsung 4K, HDR10 TV.

Should I play at 1080p 60fps, with very high settings, RTX OFF (if RDR2 is RTX supported),

Should I play at 4K 30fps with Ultra settings (RTX OFF)

or should I go for 1440p,very high settings and RTX effects ON and hope it doesn't dip below 60fps.

We haven't even seen footage yet lol. No one will know how well optimised it is but having a 1060 as the recommended is a positive.

4k/60fps should be possible on a 2070 if you have a 6 core CPU considering the X runs it at a locked 4k/30fps.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
RTX 2080 and 3700x

I have no interest in the game whatsoever, bored the life out of me.

But those 5 minutes of graphical bliss on PC...Not worth full price lol, maybe later.

Sep 28, 2019
both minimum required GPUs are almost double the PS4s TFlop count of 1.84TF. Konsoles are roughly double a similar PC Statement finaly redeemed.
Seriuosly , all those lazy developt AAA Third Party Titels wich do not use the low Level PS4 API GNMmade this Generation look worse than it should have been.

just a reminder for the good ole Clockwork in the Heads - while in those almost 7 Years of this GEN, GPUs exchanged with netter GPUs in Desktop PCs - PS4 was all thew same. ..
RDR2 could have been a release Titel Nov 13! And if it had -Folks had throuwn their PC out of the Window ..

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
both minimum required GPUs are almost double the PS4s TFlop count of 1.84TF. Konsoles are roughly double a similar PC Statement finaly redeemed.
Seriuosly , all those lazy developt AAA Third Party Titels wich do not use the low Level PS4 API GNMmade this Generation look worse than it should have been.

just a reminder for the good ole Clockwork in the Heads - while in those almost 7 Years of this GEN, GPUs exchanged with netter GPUs in Desktop PCs - PS4 was all thew same. ..
RDR2 could have been a release Titel Nov 13! And if it had -Folks had throuwn their PC out of the Window ..

Put down the glass.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Those recommended specs are lower than I expected. Maybe they learned from their previous GTA V port, or RDR2 is just better positioned to make that transition. I suspect it's more that those requirements don't properly reflect the different expectations when it comes to Graphic Settings/Resolution/FrameRate combinations.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017

I get what you're saying in terms of requirements.

I went with a GTX 760 when deciding on a new GPU this gen since it's more powerful than the base consoles, so for the lifespan of the PS4 I shouldn't have any problem beating it or matching it performance wise, the PS4 specs don't change same with the GPU. And it was true for the most part before I finally upgraded end of last year, of course there's always bad ports every so often.

But yeah, if a game runs worse than the base consoles with a GTX 760 no matter how long we're into the gen that just means the port is bad/not very well optimised.
So in this case if a 760 paired with any decent new or old CPU can't run the game at the very least like what it runs on the PS4, I'd consider that a terrible job in terms of optimisation, a 770 + 2500K? you're easily beating the base console performances.