• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So many people are gonna be disappointed by this game again. I prey for them. Well at least they get shiny graphics at 60fps.
Contrary to your own biases , theres quite a few people that think RDR 2 is great. Surely you understand that, considering how much you like something like days gone

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Contrary to your own biases , theres quite a few people that think RDR 2 is great. Surely you understand that, considering how much you like something like days gone

giphy.gif

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Looks great, but a small part of me is sad it doesn't look significantly better than the console versions. I thought we might get a peep at what any next gen version might look like with the PC release.

The console version is already pretty great as it is but based on the trailer it does look better to me. Raytracing is really the only thing they could truly do to make it significantly better looking but with Rockstar being Rockstar they are unlikely to put development time on what are ultimately niche features reserved for those on high end GPUs as much as I would like it to happen.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

RDR2 is in fact great when it comes to story, graphics and the amazing dynamic open world. It's to bad reviews cover up the extremely mediocre gameplay and plain bad linear boring mission design. It's just sad some people (including me, and now a lot of PC players) waited for this game so long and discover that's it's actually not really fun to play.

Yes I finished both, but I'd pick Days Gone any day over RDR2 if it comes down to some good old having fun and addictive gameplay.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RDR2 is in fact great when it comes to story, graphics and the amazing dynamic open world. It's to bad reviews cover up the extremely mediocre gameplay and plain bad linear boring mission design. It's just sad some people (including me, and now a lot of PC players) waited for this game so long and discover that's it's actually not really fun to play.

Yes I finished both, but I'd pick Days Gone any day over RDR2 if it comes down to some good old having fun and addictive gameplay.
Games dont need to be fun to be worthwile

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg

As someone's who has played both, Rdr2 is wildly superior to Days Gone in every way. Gameplay and good old fun too.

The world in RDR 2 is fun to just to roam around in and dick around wether it's just to hunt or antagonize people. DG just feels dead outside the missions.

It also doesn't help that days gone plays like a janky mess, I played it like a month back now and I had to download almost 30 GB of patches and I still got loads of FPS drops, game crashed, texture pop in etc on PS4 pro.

I honestly agree with the metacritic avg of 71, I would probably score it around 6 or 7 / 10 myself so. Pretty graphics when they hold up, decent to okay story with terrible pacing, fine moment to moment gameplay, horde mechanic kinda meh, mission structure was repeated ad naseum until the end. Didn't feel for any of the characters like deacon or Sarah either so.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

im sure we'll all shed a tear when and if the time comes, but expecting that a game will be enjoyed by everyone is completely unrealistic anyway. Majority of people have more than enjoyed RDR 2 and likely the same will happen on PC, where the game will play significantly better anyway.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Gosh, this is one of the best looking games I have ever seen! It is unfortunate that the gameplay is super shallow.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's just sad some people (including me, and now a lot of PC players) waited for this game so long and discover that's it's actually not really fun to play.

Good thing that you've already decided for us the PC players that the game isn't really fun to play.

Also lmao @ the Days Gone thing.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
A major part why I'm interested in the PC version is because mods might be able to alleviate the not-that-fun-to-actually-play problems of the game. A proper mouse+keyboard control scheme, high framerate and no input lag alone would go a long way for me.

I'm also looking forward to an infinite dead eye cheat/mod, so I can just shoot up towns and marvel at those slow-mo Euphoria ragdolls.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how this will feel at 60fps on KB&M. The experience of being a cowboy was amazing, but the gameplay was nowhere near what it should be for a game this praised.

Hoping it will feel better, or perhaps even mods will help fix things... it's going to look absolutely stunning on my PC, I just don't know how much I'll actually play.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Loved this game on One X but didn't 100% it.
A bit too early to replay it for me, but if I could somehow get my save from console to PC I'd be there day 1.

Any word on anything like that?

Oct 25, 2017
A major part why I'm interested in the PC version is because mods might be able to alleviate the not-that-fun-to-actually-play problems of the game. A proper mouse+keyboard control scheme, high framerate and no input lag alone would go a long way for me.

I'm also looking forward to an infinite dead eye cheat/mod, so I can just shoot up towns and marvel at those slow-mo Euphoria ragdolls.
Same for me, RDR2 is my GOTY2018 but the controls were frustrating as hell sometimes.
It's going to feel so good playing this with KB+M.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
As someone's who has played both, Rdr2 is wildly superior to Days Gone in every way. Gameplay and good old fun too.

The world in RDR 2 is fun to just to roam around in and dick around wether it's just to hunt or antagonize people. DG just feels dead outside the missions.

It also doesn't help that days gone plays like a janky mess, I played it like a month back now and I had to download almost 30 GB of patches and I still got loads of FPS drops, game crashed, texture pop in etc on PS4 pro.

I honestly agree with the metacritic avg of 71, I would probably score it around 6 or 7 / 10 myself so. Pretty graphics when they hold up, decent to okay story with terrible pacing, fine moment to moment gameplay, horde mechanic kinda meh, mission structure was repeated ad naseum until the end. Didn't feel for any of the characters like deacon or Sarah either so.

Not saying DG is technical perfect, far from that. But it's certainly superior in almost every way if it comes down to gameplay: it let's you decide how to tackle missions (and not behind which rock to take cover), upgrades have an actual impact on the way you play the game and it let's the player aim for him/herself (sure there's free aim, but the game is certainly not made for that, hopefully it's better on PC).

Good thing that you've already decided for us the PC players that the game isn't really fun to play.

Also lmao @ the Days Gone thing.

Well, there's an objective difference compared to other games, but I hope you enjoy it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder how this will feel at 60fps on KB&M. The experience of being a cowboy was amazing, but the gameplay was nowhere near what it should be for a game this praised.

Hoping it will feel better, or perhaps even mods will help fix things... it's going to look absolutely stunning on my PC, I just don't know how much I'll actually play.

Almost guaranteed that 60fps, KB/M FPS mode will be a good experience. If you used FPS mode on console you could already tell it was a lot more responsive than third person.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
The PC version looks fantastic, happy for the PC only players. I'm personally happy with my inferior PS4 version an would probably only double-dip for a portable Switch version. Or I'd buy this if the PS5 isn't backwards compatible.

It looks fantastic though - Rockstar has done really well with the PC conversion it seems - at least from what has been seen.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how my 1080ti will handle this but hopefully well.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I was just thinking a few days ago that this was probably due to drop soon.
I am not at all ready for this but if there were a VR patch, I'd be there day one

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a funny thing when big open world titles that Rockstar have done get the proper PC treatment. The targeting from GTA III and the transition on PC was mindblowing, free aim precision and all. The Max Payne 3 experience had the best third person shooting mechanics of all time on PC, precision and weight accounted for with Kb/m. GTA V felt like a different game at times with 60fps and better control in multiplayer death matches and story missions alike.

I can't wait to compare how it feels for RDR2 on PC. If it's anything like their other releases, it'll be the way to play for years. And Red Dead Online will feel way snappier and less cumbersome for damn sure. I'm going to just plug in a 2080, while worrying about an older i7 CPU before making a full computer upgrade next year. I can't wait to get back with Arthur and the gang - NEXT STOP TAHITI!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I would rather play RDR2 10x in a row than to play Days Gone again. To each their own.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Song name?
Lesson learned,don't go to YT because people can't keep their mouths shut.
Comment section has spoilers.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
If an Xbox One X (which has a 2012 netbook CPU) can run this game at 4K30, then can we can expect a 2015 i5 or better + 1070 being able to do 4K60?
I think the hype around next gen consoles has got this idea around that if you put in a better CPU, you can magically double the framerate, really RDR2 is 100% GPU bottlenecked due to it's heavy use of volemetrics & GTX 1070 is only a small step above what XBX has.
4K/60 is gonna require a 2080 Ti or maybe a 1080 Ti/Super 2080 on Console settings, which im sure Alex on DF will figure out quickly for us to copy.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Really RDR2 is 100% GPU bottlenecked due to it's heavy use of volemetrics & GTX 1070 is only a small step above what XBX has.

In reality you have no idea if RDR 2 is ''100% GPU bottlenecked'' on XBX1 since the game doesn't offer up a unlocked or 60 fps mode to actually see what limits the game in said scenario.

Just a real 4k res bump which can be doable even if you're CPU bottlenecked in most cases.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah I would rather play RDR2 10x in a row than to play Days Gone again. To each their own.

You're totally right, although I find it hard to understand how people prefer RDR's gameplay over gameplay with actual mission freedom and more responsive controls and way more fluid combat. With that being said I'm really curious how they handled the PC gameplay. I'm sure the missions won't be that different, but for all PC players I really hope the game feels more like a decent shooter with good mouse aiming. Aiming is really badly implented on consoles.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
In reality you have no idea if RDR 2 is ''100% GPU bottlenecked'' on XBX1 since the game doesn't offer up a unlocked or 60 fps mode to actually see what limits the game in said scenario.

Just a real 4k res bump which can be doable even if you're CPU bottlenecked in most cases.
Volumetrics are not cheap, 1080p/60fps should be easy on a GTX 1070, but 4K is a bit much.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
When people say "cinematic", what does that mean to you?
I use "cinematic" more to convey a tone or style, not a frame rate, though there are contexts where you certainly can use it to describe framerate, though only in regards to film or non interactive media.

I use it more akin to talking about cinematography or framing/pacing/lighting of a shot or scene. Red Dead Redemption II is very cinematic in that regard. Some of the cutscenes (non interactive, very important distinction here) are beautifully laid out and shot.

This is again not the place to go into a deep dive of why film/movies work at 24 FPS and an interactive video game does not. Sure, you can play it but it just doesn't feel good. Using the term "it's more cinematic" is a way of trying to justify or excuse to themselves or others that bad performance and response in an interactive game is ok because "it's more cinematic this way".

That's my opinion at least on the subjective parts of it at least. The other side of it, aka higher frame rates in a game are objectively better than lower ones can't really be argued because it's objectively better.

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
Is there anywhere I can read up on what kind of mods people are working on?

Honestly. Not really. Not yet.

Most of the collaborative research and prototype discussions take place in existing private GTA V modding Discord servers/group DM convos.

The are a lot of public Red Dead Redemption (2)/Rockstar Discord severs too, but they function more or less as hang out spots for mod-devs, where some of us occasionally drip feed some new interesting info.

I can say this though, as it only pertains to my own efforts.

I am going to release a stream of smallish QoL/AI adjusting/ambience enhancing mods, beginning on the day of release.