• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome thanks! I have both the Pro and the X... I pre ordered it for the PRO because it just feels right playing GTA/RD games on Sony consoles. But I am a graphics whore and debating if I should switch my order from the Pro to the X. Playing on LG OLED so I want this to look as amazing as possible.

Nice! I bought an X and a LG B7A just for this game :)

It'll look best on the X. But you have a gorgeous TV so I'm sure it will look almost as great on the Pro. Despite having more online friends on PSN, I went with the very best version and preordered for the X. I get better visuals, a superior controller, and best of all a damn near silent console. GoW makes my Pro sound like a Dyson, God knows what this game will do to it.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well then.
DpQjo8MXoAAwUJf.jpg:large

I don't see the image, what was it?

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Dude the game will most likely be one of the gotg, but it will feature mission markers and linear missions. Luckily there's options to turn those off like many games had this gen, but I don't see game devs getting rid of those so soon. Simply because it's a simple design philosophy that allows less hardcore gamers(the majority)to not get lost and I wonder if those players are even bothered by said markers.

Oh I know - I remember an old Net_Wrecker post over at the old place describing the emergent gameplay systems that a lot of us hoped to see manifest in GTA V that didn't. That's how much of an impression it made on me, I'll comb over and try to find it one day.

What I hope for is this - when you've got dynamic interactions with different NPCs, there will be consequences as to how you engage. If you kill someone in town, maybe a spouse will berate you when you come back to the same place. Then, maybe a game system is implemented where it remembers your actions, and said spouse hires a gang to track and kill you. When that gang finds you, you kill most of them and spare one to figure out why you're being hunted. Maybe they tell you the spouse sent you so you go back in town to pay them off or kill them to end it all. And something like this not being scripted or a side mission, just engaging with different systems in the game. And there are levels of complexity to make interaction feel that much stronger.

I don't doubt that we'll have linear set pieces like every game since GTA III, but I hope the missions are multilayered and real technical showpieces that utilize the environment. I think on a smaller scale, how Rockstar has built interactions systems to really engage the player have to be different. Gone are the days of just greeting an NPC without any other system involved, the menu with options to engage with every NPC is already a promising start.

Last edited:

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth it to play RDR 1 on my X1X rn if I

A) already know the story
B) haven't ever finished it before in my life
C) don't want to get fatigued before RDR2

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
Is it worth it to play RDR 1 on my X1X rn if I

A) already know the story
B) haven't ever finished it before in my life
C) don't want to get fatigued before RDR2

Yup. It will probably enhance your Red Dead 2 experience. I don't think you'll be fatigued at all. Will probably make you appreciate it even more. It's a Rockstar game. This ain't Ubisoft.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know - I remember an old Net_Wrecker post over at the old place describing the emergent gameplay systems that a lot of us hoped to see manifest in GTA V that didn't. That's how much of an impression it made on me, I'll comb over and try to find it one day.

What I hope for is this - when you've got dynamic interactions with different NPCs, there will be consequences as to how you engage. If you kill is someone in town, maybe a spouse will berate you when you come back to the same place. Then, maybe a game system is implemented where it remembers your actions, and said spouse hires a gang to track and kill you. When that gang finds you, you kill most of them and spare one to figure out why you're being hunted. Maybe they tell you the spouse sent you so you go back in town to pay them off or kill them to end it all. And something like this not being scripted or a side mission, just engaging with different systems in the game. And there are levels of complexity to make interaction feel that much stronger.

I don't doubt that we'll have linear set pieces like every game since GTA III, but I hope the missions are multilayered and real technical showpieces that utilize the environment. I think on a smaller scale, how Rockstar has built interactions systems to really engage the player have to be different. Gone are the days of just greeting an NPC without any other system involved, the menu with options to engage with every NPC is already a promising start.

I've posted so many times about these things I'm not even sure which specific post or idea you're talking about :P

But yeah, it's because as much as I love open world games, or the IDEA of open world games, there's been a stagnation across the board since... maybe RDR1 tbh. After scripted random events were popularized in that game, nobody's really taken the next jump forward in terms of world interaction, and that's the most exciting aspect of RDR2. GTAV was a disappointment to me on multiple levels, but one of the biggest ones was just a lack of open world systems doing anything new. Sure it was shockingly polished for a Rockstar game, and yeah the missions were flashier than ever, and yes the world itself is painted with multiple layers of detail, but that side of the game where you can just be a cog in a big self sustaining, self correcting system was really weak. And yes I understand that GTA is primarily a degeneracy sandbox, but what Rockstar seems to be doing in RDR2 is way more important and way more interesting. It feels like they're finally picking back up where they left off with San Andreas and Bully.

And to be fair, there was Watch_Dogs 2 in between, which was the most fun I had poking at an open world's AI in god knows how long. That game doesn't really get the credit it deserves for how much personality and systemic nonsense it would display completely on it's own. Sure it didn't have the physics, and time, and money thrown at it that Rockstar can, but it was a real attempt at a deeper, dynamic play space.

Last edited:

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
LOL

So, anyone with the magazine up to do a quick write up on what they said?

I'm not going to write out quotes verbatim but I'll try to paraphrase.

• They play from the very start of the game and go into what the Prologue entails (unsure whether that has been covered here or not before) - I won't spoil anything.
  • One of the very first missions after the Prologue involves Marston.
  • The way you play the game will affect the soundtrack - will be moodier if you're an ass or lighter if you're a lovable rogue and camera angles change depending on your honour too.
  • If you develop rep as a hardman robberies will pay out more.
  • Missions start automatically, they walked into a bar and started a mission accidently.
  • Morgan uses Witcher-3-like tracking senses to track prey.
  • Morgan is driven by systems - heath and stamina in wheels and regenerate over time, a core wheel that must be improved out in the world and will boost your stamina in time like in GTA V.
  • Cores will refill but will do so slower as the cores deplete - can be topped up by eating or resting.
  • They bring up the map and it scrolls for two screens, get told to go south and it scrolls twice as far.
  • Railway station offers travel to half a dozen destinations - they pick Saint Denis (New Orleans).

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Net_Wrecker is so on point about GTAV and sums up my thoughts exactly. Beautiful world and no interesting ways to interact with it outside of stuff you did in GTA games on PS2. Most of my excitement for RDR2 is Rockstar addressing a lot of that.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I've posted so many times about these things I'm not even sure which specific post or idea you're talking about :P

But yeah, it's because as much as I love open world games, or the IDEA of open world games, there's been a stagnation across the board since... maybe RDR1 tbh. After scripted random events were popularized in that game, nobody's really taken the next jump forward in terms of world interaction, and that's the most exciting aspect of RDR2. GTAV was a disappointment to me on multiple levels, but one of the biggest ones was just a lack of open world systems doing anything new. Sure it was shockingly polished for a Rockstar game, and yeah the missions were flashier that ever, and yes the world itself is painted with multiple layers of detail, but that side of the game where you can just be a cog in a big self sustaining, self correcting system was really weak. And yes I understand that GTA is primarily a degeneracy sandbox, but what Rockstar seems to be doing in RDR2 is way more important and way more interesting. It feels like they're finally picking back up where they left off with San Andreas and Bully.

And to be fair, there was Watch_Dogs 2 in between which was the most fun I had poking at an open world's AI in god knows how long. That game doesn't really get the credit it deserves for how much personality and systemic nonsense it would display completely on it's own. Sure it didn't have the physics, and time, and money thrown at it that Rockstar can, but it was a real attempt at a deeper, dynamic play space.

https://www./threads/watch_dogs-is-...ts-from-the-game.827104/page-4#post-113869102

Amen to all of this. I linked the post, more than four years ago I still think about how long we've got to go, right along side your descriptions of what you wanted to see play out in the first Watch_Dogs title. And that's exactly what I think we need to see - new open world systems inviting greater player action and consequence. I think what I'm most excited about are these random interactions being described complete with options on how to engage - defuse, aggravate, etc. Thinking of maybe how simple player actions can funnel into your own non descripted dynamic gameplay in the environment. If the play space can be emergent based on your own engagement, scripted flashier events can help complement it entirely.

I think Watch_Dogs 2 never got the praise it should have, mainly in the shadow of GTA V. But it's interesting to see how open world gameplay can really evolve in Red Dead Redemption 2 - have they created something new and organic that doesn't feel like one mission marker to the next? Can the AI really react in credible ways to your player actions? Is this finally a step in the right direction, where the open world (not matter how beutifully constructed) feels more than static backdrop?

It's an exciting time - to think that maybe years of development have given us new direction in open world gameplay - who knows! It's wild to think that's the post I think of most every time I venture into a new open world title - bravo, because it's everything I hope we can see develop here as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know - I remember an old Net_Wrecker post over at the old place describing the emergent gameplay systems that a lot of us hoped to see manifest in GTA V that didn't. That's how much of an impression it made on me, I'll comb over and try to find it one day. https://www./threads/watch_dogs-is-...ts-from-the-game.827104/page-4#post-113869102

What I hope for is this - when you've got dynamic interactions with different NPCs, there will be consequences as to how you engage. If you kill is someone in town, maybe a spouse will berate you when you come back to the same place. Then, maybe a game system is implemented where it remembers your actions, and said spouse hires a gang to track and kill you. When that gang finds you, you kill most of them and spare one to figure out why you're being hunted. Maybe they tell you the spouse sent you so you go back in town to pay them off or kill them to end it all. And something like this not being scripted or a side mission, just engaging with different systems in the game. And there are levels of complexity to make interaction feel that much stronger.

I'm not holding my breath jut hopefully you're right. If theres someone that can do it it's definitely Rockstar. Only 2 weeks left now.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018

• They play from the very start of the game and go into what the Prologue entails (unsure whether that has been covered here or not before) - I won't spoil anything.
  • The way you play the game will affect the soundtrack - will be moodier if you're an ass or lighter if you're a lovable rogue and camera angles change depending on your honour too.
  • Missions start automatically, they walked into a bar and started a mission accidently.
  • Morgan is driven by systems - heath and stamina in wheels and regenerate over time, a core wheel that must be improved out in the world and will boost your stamina in time like in GTA V.
  • Cores will refill but will do so slower as the cores deplete - can be topped up by eating or resting.
  • They bring up the map and it scrolls for two screens, get told to go south and it scrolls twice as far.
  • Railway station offers travel to half a dozen destinations - they pick Saint Denis (New Orleans).

Appreciate the paraphrase.

This will warrant two playthroughs then. One with Arthur being honourable, and another where he's just a crazed, violent, maniac.

I look forward to this.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Morgan uses Witcher-3-like tracking senses to track prey.
I really really hope you can track prey without this. I hated that in Witcher 3

They bring up the map and it scrolls for two screens, get told to go south and it scrolls twice as far.
That sounds awesome though

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
Am I the only one who is anticipating the discussion about the game here more than the game itself?! Odyssey was the same thing. I spent more time reading about it here than actually playing the damn thing!

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the PS4, as far as I'm aware the required storage listed on the box does not factor in any extra space needed to install. I'm checking a bunch of games that I have installed and they all take up about the same or more storage than what is listed. Even ones with minimal updates/DLC like Lego games take up approximately what is shown. I would guess that once the multiplayer is added the game will be over 100 GB.

That makes sense. Hoping the MP download is something you have to activate yourself rather than a pushed update.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who is anticipating the discussion about the game here more than the game itself?! Odyssey was the same thing. I spent more time reading about it here than actually playing the damn thing!
considering how negative the forum is at times, and not like I haven't been part of that, not really. I am genuinely hyped for the game to a realistic degree and will likely stick with the OT exclusively to discuss the title itself. Afterwards I will discuss the positives and negatives.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
https://www./threads/watch_dogs-is-...ts-from-the-game.827104/page-4#post-113869102

Amen to all of this. I linked the post, more than four years ago I still think about how long we've got to go, right along side your descriptions of what you wanted to see play out in the first Watch_Dogs title. And that's exactly what I think we need to see - new open world systems inviting greater player action and consequence. I think what I'm most excited about are these random interactions being described complete with options on how to engage - defuse, aggravate, etc. Thinking of maybe how simple player actions can funnel into your own non descripted dynamic gameplay in the environment. If the play space can be emergent based on your own engagement, scripted flashier events can help complement it entirely.

I think Watch_Dogs 2 never got the praise it should have, mainly in the shadow of GTA V. But it's interesting to see how open world gameplay can really evolve in Red Dead Redemption 2 - have they created something new and organic that doesn't feel like one mission marker to the next? Can the AI really react in credible ways to your player actions? Is this finally a step in the right direction, where the open world (not matter how beutifully constructed) feels more than static backdrop?

It's an exciting time - to think that maybe years of development have given us new direction in open world gameplay - who knows! It's wild to think that's the post I think of most every time I venture into a new open world title - bravo, because it's everything I hope we can see develop here as well.

Oh god 4 years ughhhhhh dreamfall whyyy

But yeah, looking back on that, Watch_Dogs 2 actually took some decent steps with the police and ambulance loops I was dreaming about. CPU limitations this gen really held back this stuff, and I think I have a clearer idea of what the baseline is in 2018 vs. my hopes in 2014. With that said, these previews sure do make it seem like Rockstar is working some magic, and if there's anyone I think can deliver on a systemic world, it's them.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
considering how negative the forum is at times, and not like I haven't been part of that, not really. I am genuinely hyped for the game to a realistic degree and will likely stick with the OT exclusively to discuss the title itself. Afterwards I will discuss the positives and negatives.

Well, it could be another GoW/Spiderman thread rather than an Odyssey thread, but yeah, it could go both ways.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
Would love to be able to access the edge article!

On an unrelated note does the base version come with a map or do I have to buy the $80 version to get it?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Nope. I'm out of here come release day lol, aside from the occasional reference source for various systems I'll be trying to figure out, though I'd rather discover most things on my own.

Very curious to read reviews and see the DF breakdown videos too.

The hype leading up to release IS quite addicting though I'll give you that. Remembering the fever at gaf before GTAV came out was pretty memorable, including those short video clips that were getting leaked by someone that got it early. Not sure if I want to get spoiled like that for RDR2 though. I think I know all I want to at this point.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the funny part is, witcher 3's senses is only a modification of Batman's system to a degree. So even if you credit Witcher, its not like they created it. They just applied a variation.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I'm out of here come release day lol, aside from the occasional reference source for various systems I'll be trying to figure out, though I'd rather discover most things on my own.

Very curious to read reviews and see the DF breakdown videos too.

The hype leading up to release IS quite addicting though I'll give you that. Remembering the fever at gaf before GTAV came out was pretty memorable, including those short video clips that were getting leaked by someone that got it early. Not sure if I want to get spoiled like that for RDR2 though. I think I know all I want to at this point.
That gif of Franklin running up behind a pedestrian and giving him a haymaker had me hyped.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
How difficult would it be to get the physical RDR 2 Ultimate Edition at GameStop without a preorder?

I recommend pre ordering it in advance. With release date getting closer, some people are going to rush to get that edition last minute.

There's only so many Ultimate Edition copies going around after all.

There's also the midnight release to consider as well. If you show up the next morning, it will probably be gone by then.

Apr 27, 2018
I recommend pre ordering it in advance. With release date getting closer, some people are going to rush to get that edition last minute.

There's only so many Ultimate Edition copies going around after all.

There's also the midnight release to consider as well. If you show up the next morning, it will probably be gone by then.
Welp, I'm going to have to wait for Monday then, thanks! I'm just hoping they have some left. Going to be the best birthday gift I've received in a long time.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder, with the systems they are talking about and what's shown on the hud (stamina, eating, etc) I hope that there are animation cues or audio cues for those as well for those of us who prefer to play with no hud, so we will know when Arthur is hungry or tired and such instead of having to turn those on to see where he's at.

Just like lines of him saying stuff like "Getting a bit hungry" when he's starting to get hungry, up to "I'm starving, I could eat my horse" when he's REALLY hungry, or "Getting a bit tired" when he's been up a while to him fumbling and dozing off slightly when he's exhausted and saying stuff like "I'm plum wore out."