• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 received a substantial boost after launching on Steam

www.superdataresearch.com

January 2021 worldwide digital games market — SuperData, a Nielsen Company

Worldwide digital games earnings rose by 15% year-over-year to reach $11.6B in January 2021. Revenue was up annually across all device types.

Digital unit sales more than doubled from 406K in November to 1.0M in December. The game became available on Steam on December 5, one month after releasing elsewhere including the Epic Games Store and Rockstar Games Launcher. This brief exclusivity window was advertised in advance, so many players simply waited a short period to play the game on their preferred launcher.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
No shit. Steam is leagues more popular than the EGS. I mean does anyone actually buy that many games on the EGS? Everyone I've seen talking about has been mentioning the free game giveaways.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Also looking at the chart in the article it's surprising Fortnite is not on the top 10 grossing title lists for PC and Mobile. Only console. I know Fortnite is on the decline revenue wise but is it that bad? According to the article the -25% decline in console revenue between Dec '18 and Dec '19 is in large part to just Fortnite's decline!?

In comparison PC revenue only saw a -4% decline and Mobile revenue a 25% increase.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
No shit. Steam is leagues more popular than the EGS. I mean does anyone actually buy that many games on the EGS? Everyone I've seen talking about has been mentioning the free game giveaways.

I'd wager it's very telling that Epic has mentioned only how many accounts have downloaded a game and not how many users have purchased one. (I'm reminded of when EA changed Origin's performance metric from total number of accounts to total number of "installs".) Fortnite represents approximately two-thirds of EGS' entire revenue for 2019, in fact, and somewhere around a third of the remaining $250m was generated by Borderlands 3 alone.

I suppose it's not surprising that Epic's "Being on EGS means being in front of the Fortnite audience!" sales pitch has mostly fallen flat. After all, Galyonkin himself has talked about how difficult it is to convert F2P users to paying customers.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019
You need the Rockstar Launcher anyways so I didn't bother with the Steam version. If there are issues due to the Rockstar Launcher, they will persist. I wouldn't say the game is broken though.

I've never understood this argument. People buy games on Steam because they prefer the features and a unified library. The Rockstar Launcher offers none of that.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I've never understood this argument. People buy games on Steam because they prefer the features and a unified library. The Rockstar Launcher offers none of that.
People have their own reasons to buy on a specific platform. I have achievements and cloud saves with the Rockstar Launcher as well and I knew I wouldn't refund the game so there was little reason for me to wait an additional month.

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

Which is fine, but I'm not trying to open two different storefronts and UIs just to play a game if I have to. It's an annoying practice, and I only tolerate it for Ass Creed. I regret even getting RDR from the R* Launcher initially, given how broken the game was at launch for me and my friends.

Dec 14, 2019
People have their own reasons to buy on a specific platform. I have achievements and cloud saves with the Rockstar Launcher as well and I knew I wouldn't refund the game so there was little reason for me to wait an additional month.

I love it when these "tiny" launchers actually outperforms EGS in features, even a year after Epic had their big pull with EGS.