• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So, im starting my Journey on Red Dead 2 ( Chapter 2 right now) and im trying to put myself in the proper head space for this game.

There is no XP nor level ups (classic level up at least) so i shouldn't be bothering on hunting down every single little quest and adventure that comes my way. Just let the game flow through organically and enjoy the ride.

This has led to a few choice encounters, like that one time 2 Bounty hunters rushed by me carrying a dude on their saddle tied up, calling him a criminal while he screamed saying he was innocent, so i decided maybe i should follow these guys a bit to see what's going on... but they were racing down the street and i was not, so the time it took me to speed up and turn around and follow them without losing sight of where they were going was so goddamn slow that i decided to rush it a bit to keep up, which let to my horse jumping over a rock, tripping the fuck out and me taking a near fatal tumble... dudes were gone, dunno if i just missed a side event or not.

Fine, move along.

My main concern with the game right now is how everything is a huge commitment. Of both time and effort. It just doesn't feel as fun as Breath of the wild or Assassin's Creed does. I undertand the themes, the setting, the gritty feel... i get all that, i like all that... but the number of times i was spinning on circles trying to figure out where was that gunshot or talking was coming from because the game gives me no sort of tip or aid to locate that stuff was annoying.

As it was annoying that one time the game gave me a prompt of "Hey if you hold Triangle you can rest up a bit and save your strenght". Which made me go "Oh , neat i should try that..." which led me to press Triangle, which led me to jump forward and put the fucking xerif on a choke hold, which of course led me to getting gunneddown by half the city.

As it was annoying this one time where i got jumped by bandits on the street which, at first, was 100% fine. Totally ok with being caught in a trap like that. it makes sense for this game. Im a bandit, they are bandits... it makes sense if i get surrounded by 7 people while im alone without a gun in hand, that it would be a bad spot for me. So that's all fair game. So, at first, i ran... and decided to prepare.

Second time around, during night time, i saw the bad guys from far away. They had torches, so i was ready. The came for me, i pulled my rifle, decided to stand my ground.... game fades to black for some reason, blue skies show up. im back in the city. why? i have no clue why. i took one guy down, barely took any damage. There was no fail state on the screen....

sometimes the frustration goes along with something a little cool, like the time i took a bounty on the Black Widow. First time, she rushed at me with a knife, so i decided to punch her out. Myself thinking i should be a bit more agressive, press the circle button twice. A quick "1, 2" and hey... she is dead. A punch and a kick were enough. Bounty failed restart from checkpoint.

ok... sure...

So, second time around, i say fuck it. I sneak around, pull out my lasso and round her up while she is still talking to her nearby victim. So, stealth lasso for the win? You betcha.

Overall this game has a ton of little frustrations. I like the setting ,i let the writting, i like the acting, i like the story (so far). But i hate how it takes 10 minutes of empty world walking to reach a 2 min gunfight and even though i run pass 10-20 animals i could hunt... i can't carry nothing even closer than that. So better make a good pick on the ride coming or going towards a mission. Everything is a bit of a Chore. Which, again, i can accept, but im finding out that i just don't really enjoy all that much.

I feel like i just want to B-line the main story mission and see if i can get more of that fun well done writing and talking i've been enjoying so far and don't sweat the other stuff...

Honestly, there are a ton of little things that feel like huge oversights in this day and age... the fonts to read are super small with no option to make them bigger, for as clean as HUD as this game gets, information is not always super clear and just makes it a ton of "start stop" to conclude even simple tasks... actually, overall QOL options on RDR2 are very barebones.

navigation early on is a true slog to the point where i honestly believe this game only gets away with this because of the Rockstart logo attached to it... there is a lot that CAN happen between point A and B but very little that you CAN do, so the world is not really all that empty, but it feels a bit pointless at times...

I honestly cannot imagine myself 5 years down the line wanting to start this game over again to relive the tale of the old west in RDR2 because i just can't imagine myself going through the slog that is the first 5-10 hours i've seen so far... but this is not a bad game. Everything good about is actually pretty good... but at the same time, i think it got it off easy on it's name over some valid criticism.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
The controls I eventually got used to with trial and error.

The stuff that I still hate is taking the time to go hunting, bringing it back to camp, and Pearson is busy with something or a mission triggers and now I can't donate the food and it spoils by the time I'm able to.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I feel you OP. It's certainly not perfect.

If you get frustrated I'd tell you to focus on the main missions and the "white" side missions for a bit, and allow the mechanics to sink in.

It's not a "fun" game like Spidey is for me or AC:Od, but is worth the experience so far, and at the end of the journey I feel like it will be memorable.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
this game is the closest thing to perfection, I love the slow pace of the game, the tone is realism and it's done very well.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
As it was annoying that one time the game gave me a prompt of "Hey if you hold Triangle you can rest up a bit and save your strenght". Which made me go "Oh , neat i should try that..." which led me to press Triangle, which led me to jump forward and put the fucking xerif on a choke hold, which of course led me to getting gunneddown by half the city.

Sounds like you were holding down L2 at the same time, causing you to target the Sheriff and then triangle becomes grab. To rest just hold triangle by itself. Once you get used to the hold L2 to interact with things and object, release it for everything else control scheme it becomes a lot less frustrating.

One frustration I've had with the game - and other games do it too, it's just that this game is so vast and dense that it's particularly annoying here - is missable content. I'm just at the first mission of Chapter 6, and I've loved the story so far and I think Arthur is one of my favourite characters this generation - but something that really killed the pacing for me was finding out how much stuff is missable if I just take the game at the pace it's set at, if I didn't want to have to re-play the entire game to experience this stuff I had to essentially drop everything and focus on getting all of that done. It was annoying because I was there in what is essentially the middle of the game doing what is usually post game clean up.

berlin_420

Jun 6, 2018
I love the game! It would be a 10 for me if the clunky controls and latency wouldn´t be a thing.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My main complaint is the "Dueling" system and the way it relies on the sensitivity of your controllers trigger buttons. Apparently my older controller isn't as sensitive as it once was and makes me incapable of doing ANY of the dueling scenarios. It will read that I am slowly pulling the trigger down, but it doesn't read that I have pressed the trigger down all the way so I just never draw my gun. Ever. No matter what I do. I literally have to just die enough times in order to skip the checkpoint. Which is really fucking irritating. No other game I own or play has this issue with my controller. JUST RDR2.

And its not just me i have the complaint pop up numerous times across various outlets.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
The time commitment thing is a beauty and a curse. I ran away from some bandits yet I attacked some bandits who had no idea I was there... only because I wanted to.

Sometimes random Stranger events happen very quickly which force you to think quickly. Its supposed to be risk and reward but it can get confusing.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
My main complaint is the "Dueling" system and the way it relies on the sensitivity of your controllers trigger buttons. Apparently my older controller isn't as sensitive as it once was and makes me incapable of doing ANY of the dueling scenarios. It will read that I am slowly pulling the trigger down, but it doesn't read that I have pressed the trigger down all the way so I just never draw my gun. Ever. No matter what I do. I literally have to just die enough times in order to skip the checkpoint. Which is really fucking irritating. No other game I own or play has this issue with my controller. JUST RDR2.

And its not just me i have the complaint pop up numerous times across various outlets.

The dueling really confused me, because the game gives you the tutorial while you're doing it, and the tooltip disappeared too quickly lol

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The astonishing amount of small annoyances really added up to a constant, simmering level of frustration in this game (for me). It already starts with the menu/interface design which is the worst I have seen ... maybe ever. The buttons seem to be allocated randomly to actions,sometimes you have to hold a button, sometimes it's just a short button press. There is almost no rhyme or reason and thus handling the menus and interface in this game never becomes truly intuitive.

I'm at the very end of the game, after maybe 40-50 hours of playtime, and I still press wrong buttons sometimes when buying shit in stores etc.

Also, why make the player hold a button for displaying the map? An action that players do constantly! Why not take the tried and true approach as numerous other successful games and map it to a short touch on the touch pad on the PS4 pad, for example? I spent the first ten hours of the game accidentally changing the camera instead of display the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.