• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you double dipping?

• Yes

Votes: 521 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 365 28.3%
  • This is my first time playing the game

Votes: 405 31.4%

• Total voters

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
I'm really impressed with exploration in this game. While I was wandering around trying to find nice views for screenshots, I came across a small, burned down village. The only building still intact was a tiny, stone jail that I just had to investigate. Inside, i found a treasure map next to one of the prisoners' corpses. I also wandered upon a farmer and his two sons that I helped out at a construction site getting attacked by bandits. No quest and minimal reward for killing the bandits, but it was just a satisfying, emergent-feeling experience. Afterward, the father asked his sons why they just hid and they replied that the father never gave them any guns. "Worst decision I ever made," said the father. Another event was a courier getting robbed by two bandits. The bandits first just told me to move along as it was none of my concern. I was sitting there on my horse deciding whether I should intervene, but then they did a double take and recognized me from Dutch's gang, at which point I shot them in their faces with my pump-action shotgun as they drew their guns. The coach's passenger got out, got on one of the bandit's horses, and told me to just take what I wanted for saving him as he rode off.

So good!

Jan 15, 2018
I'm really impressed with exploration in this game. While I was wandering around trying to find nice views for screenshots, I came across a small, burned down village. The only building still intact was a tiny, stone jail that I just had to investigate. Inside, i found a treasure map next to one of the prisoners' corpses. I also wandered upon a farmer and his two sons that I helped out at a construction site getting attacked by bandits. No quest and minimal reward for killing the bandits, but it was just a satisfying, emergent-feeling experience. Afterward, the father asked his sons why they just hid and they replied that the father never gave them any guns. "Worst decision I ever made," said the father. Another event was a courier getting robbed by two bandits. The bandits first just told me to move along as it was none of my concern. I was sitting there on my horse deciding whether I should intervene, but then they did a double take and recognized me from Dutch's gang, at which point I shot them in their faces with my pump-action shotgun as they drew their guns.

So good!

Just a recommendation, be sure to return to that man and his sons when you can.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really impressed with exploration in this game. While I was wandering around trying to find nice views for screenshots, I came across a small, burned down village. The only building still intact was a tiny, stone jail that I just had to investigate. Inside, i found a treasure map next to one of the prisoners' corpses. I also wandered upon a farmer and his two sons that I helped out at a construction site getting attacked by bandits. No quest and minimal reward for killing the bandits, but it was just a satisfying, emergent-feeling experience. Afterward, the father asked his sons why they just hid and they replied that the father never gave them any guns. "Worst decision I ever made," said the father. Another event was a courier getting robbed by two bandits. The bandits first just told me to move along as it was none of my concern. I was sitting there on my horse deciding whether I should intervene, but then they did a double take and recognized me from Dutch's gang, at which point I shot them in their faces with my pump-action shotgun as they drew their guns. The coach's passenger got out, got on one of the bandit's horses, and told me to just take what I wanted for saving him as he rode off.

So good!

Just re the burned town there's something else you can find...

There's a gold bar hidden at the Sheriff's office.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

So good!

The open world design and exploration is the best thing about the game. I lost countless hours just riding around looking for animals to hunt and checking out random areas.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WTF now the cursor is back on my screen after updating. What the hell.

Edit: And now after restarting my computer the cursor is gone. Okay game.

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to claim the Twitch Prime free bounty hunter licence on PC if you haven't claimed it on the original platform?

The account link shows a tick next to PC on the Rockstar site, and Amazon says it's available on PC - but I only see options to choose PS4 or Xbox when linking the social club account.
I just checked, and was able to claim it just now. So I'm guessing it's still there, if that's what you mean. It shows my twitch account is linked now.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The free horse you get from the Special Edition is pretty damn nice stats wise. Probably won't bother beelining for the White Arabian now.

Take your secondary horse with you when you go hunting. Then you can carry twice as many pelts and carcasses.

Yeah I did that for a while but didn't like having one following me around all the game, just looked silly.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I probably put in 50-60 hours on my X and now starting over on PC I am once again amazed at this living, breathing jaw droppingly gorgeous world Rockstar has created here.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I started chapter 2 today and I'm finally just getting out and about – it's absolutely gorgeous and I love how detailed everything is.

I do have a couple of questions about the controls though:

1. I'm having trouble differentiating between certain inputs when they appear, specifically whether I should be tapping the button, holding it, or rapidly pressing it. Ideally I'd like to turn every button mash into a button hold, if that's possible in the options somewhere.
2. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to controlling my horse's speed. If I hold W (playing with keyboard and mouse) he moves forward very slowly and if I hold shift he'll speed up, but then I saw a popup about holding W to maintain speed? I'm not quite sure how it works and it has felt a little clumsy at times. And I'm still not sure how following someone works, even after playing the intro which is basically 90% following people. Sometimes it felt like it was working, other times my horse would eventually veer off the trail even though I kept holding shift.

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019
I'm lucky in that my performance isn't too bad. But I hate that there's no saving during missions. Some are quite long and rly could do with it.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Holy shit my friend and I caught a lightning storm from the distance, seeing pockets of the forest light up and spark was pretty damn insane.

Also just having fun riding around with friends is fun online!

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
I ran into an escaped prisoner on the road who asked me to help him out by shooting the shackles off of him, so I
lassoed him and brought him to the Valentine sherif who rewarded me with cash! It's so great that a non-immediately apparent but logical solution was actually possible!

This game is so good!

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I hate those special edition perks for singleplayer, like extra money, better horse etc. Wish I could disable them. By the way, do I really have all those outfits from the start? I got like 10 right away...

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Loving hearing the impressions again of people who may be playing for first time, really is an incredible game. I'll definitely double dip once it comes to Steam. Been some time since I last played it now on PS4.

Mar 29, 2018

So good!
There's a reason the game is lauded as hell

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hate those special edition perks for singleplayer, like extra money, better horse etc. Wish I could disable them. By the way, do I really have all those outfits from the start? I got like 10 right away...

You can disable them. Some of them at least are in the menus and can be toggled off.

Mar 29, 2018
I started chapter 2 today and I'm finally just getting out and about – it's absolutely gorgeous and I love how detailed everything is.

1. I'm having trouble differentiating between certain inputs when they appear, specifically whether I should be tapping the button, holding it, or rapidly pressing it. Ideally I'd like to turn every button mash into a button hold, if that's possible in the options somewhere.
2. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to controlling my horse's speed. If I hold W (playing with keyboard and mouse) he moves forward very slowly and if I hold shift he'll speed up, but then I saw a popup about holding W to maintain speed? I'm not quite sure how it works and it has felt a little clumsy at times. And I'm still not sure how following someone works, even after playing the intro which is basically 90% following people. Sometimes it felt like it was working, other times my horse would eventually veer off the trail even though I kept holding shift.
If it's anything like the console version, you tap shift to spur the horse.

So hold W to walk it
Tap shift once while still holding W to spur it into a canter
Tap shift again to spur it into gallop

Then I think you can hold to run or tap to gallop

When following an NPC or in cutscene mode, hold W to follow the road and or companions

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017

So good!
Yeah this is really where this game shines. There's so much life in this world, it's incredible. I'm 70h into the game (on console) and I still stumble upon new people or events randomly in the open world from time to time, the amount of content is unmatched.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
This game is absolutely stunning. Online (at least the intro mission) seems to run well at 1080p 60fps, all high with ultra textures, at 1.25x supersampling on a 4790k and RTX 2060. I assume this will drop once I get further into the story or online, into more graphically demanding areas though, so I'll likely remove the supersampling then. For now, I'm just appreciating the amazing graphics at the highest possible level I can get to with my hardware.

For 1), you can do this. I forget the exact name of the option but look in accessibility under control options. It's something about setting the speed of tap inputs, and one of the options is 'hold'. As for 2) I think there are options for horse control in the accessibility section too, so have a look at those and you may find one of those options better for controlling the horse.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
I ran into an escaped prisoner on the road who asked me to help him out by shooting the shackles off of him, so I
lassoed him and brought him to the Valentine sherif who rewarded me with cash! It's so great that a non-immediately apparent but logical solution was actually possible!

This game is so good!

I never thought to turn him in to the sheriff. I would always just free him and then Arthur would comment about him escaping again.

Oct 25, 2017
8Hix0i5.png

Can't seem to get passed this point, I've tried 3 times already lol.
Had to restart the game too. Usually there'd be a list of locations. Anyone ran into this when they made their character?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Beta testers for the Steam release. :D

This game (when working) looks absolutely gorgeous.
Does it support 144hz or will it bork the game (even more)?

Beta testers for the Steam release, and alpha for their next generation engine that they're building up for GTA6 if that tweet about addresses with helicopters and cops is real. Steam users may get some beta testing too, I swear the game build number increased by a dozen between day 1 and day 2 and gold media this large does not jump a dozen builds after releasing.

I think I've seen someone with 144 Hz in their settings. I don't think that's an issue, but you won't get 144 fps with today's graphics cards.

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
There are several hooks in production. The first one might be just that. A draft. A commendable feat in itself no doubt though.