• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you double dipping?

• Yes

Votes: 521 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 365 28.3%
  • This is my first time playing the game

Votes: 405 31.4%

• Total voters

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game's been really quick to remind me why I dropped it in the first place.

I'm out here trying to be as honorable as possible. Trying to make a little money, so I stop by the place I last played five-finger fillet. There's some O'Driscolls there, and they immediately pull their guns out and start shooting me. I didn't have any guns, because this game decided it was a good idea to rob me of my weapons every single time I get on my horse, so I died.

As soon as I respawned, I left town to head back to camp, and on my way back I helped a dude fight off a cougar. He thanked me, went on his way, and I threw the cougar on my other horse. The game told me my horse was dirty, so I took it to some nearby water, got it clean, then started heading back to camp, when more O'Driscolls showed up and killed me because they're absolute bullet sponges and I hadn't gotten the chance to recover from the time they'd killed me 5 minutes ago, and all the controls in this game are completely unresponsive, so my character refused to pull his gun out and fight back. Hell, I died while in red eye mode. When I respawned, the cougar corpse was gone.

This isn't fun.

I'm not having fun.

This doesn't feel like a video game meant to be played for enjoyment. It makes me feel like I should be playing something else while watching somebody else suffer through this.

Edit: Rolled into camp on my horse, pressed the button to hitch my horse to the post, but instead, my character fell off the horse onto a horse hitched nearby, and when I got up, that horse kicked me in the head and killed me.

I'm gonna buy Disco Elysium and play that instead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Rolled into camp on my horse, pressed the button to hitch my horse to the post, but instead, my character fell off the horse onto a horse hitched nearby, and when I got up, that horse kicked me in the head and killed me.
Sorry, but that actually sounds hilarious and I almost burst out laughing at work lol. Kinda wish you clipped it.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I'm having trouble with people randomly deciding they hate me and get aggressive for no reason. I did a mission in Valentine where I collect a bounty and drop him off at the sheriff's jail cell, and as I was chatting to the prisoner, after the sheriff gave me the bounty reward, the sheriff suddenly got confrontational with me and asked me to put my hands up, a big shootout ensued and I gave myself up.

I did slightly antagonise the guy in the jail cell, was that what turned the sheriff against me?

I don't get how not to make others instantly aggressive to me.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to hear more impressions from first time players on the world/ exploration/ little details! So jealous for those getting to experience this for the first time 🤠

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I am enjoying the game a lot, I just wish it would let you save during missions, and that some of the mechanics were explained better (if at all).

Like with the camp ledger, I had no idea what the 3 red icons means until I googled it and found a guide on how to upgrade your camp.

I'm really enjoying the emergent-style missions, like picking up a random woman whose horse had died, she told me about the place she lived at, Clearwater (or something like that), and how something bad has happened there but she hasn't figured it out yet. Apparently theres a girl seemingly trapped at the sheriffs house but noone in the village talks about it, and there is blood and bulletholes at the barn. Will have to do my own investigations later on.

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
You have my word that I will fix all this shit as soon as I can.

It might take a little longer than originally planned due to unexpected issues, but as soon as the tools are working as we intended...

I got you.

All that idiosyncratic punitive bullshit will get razed to the ground, and replaced with sensible systems.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018

I'm out here trying to be as honorable as possible. Trying to make a little money, so I stop by the place I last played five-finger fillet. There's some O'Driscolls there, and they immediately pull their guns out and start shooting me. I didn't have any guns, because this game decided it was a good idea to rob me of my weapons every single time I get on my horse, so I died.

As soon as I respawned, I left town to head back to camp, and on my way back I helped a dude fight off a cougar. He thanked me, went on his way, and I threw the cougar on my other horse. The game told me my horse was dirty, so I took it to some nearby water, got it clean, then started heading back to camp, when more O'Driscolls showed up and killed me because they're absolute bullet sponges and I hadn't gotten the chance to recover from the time they'd killed me 5 minutes ago, and all the controls in this game are completely unresponsive, so my character refused to pull his gun out and fight back. Hell, I died while in red eye mode. When I respawned, the cougar corpse was gone.

This isn't fun.

I'm not having fun.

This doesn't feel like a video game meant to be played for enjoyment. It makes me feel like I should be playing something else while watching somebody else suffer through this.

You double dip on a game that you dropped the first time around because you werent enjoying it?

I can't even.

Dec 28, 2017
I ran into an escaped prisoner on the road who asked me to help him out by shooting the shackles off of him, so I
lassoed him and brought him to the Valentine sherif who rewarded me with cash! It's so great that a non-immediately apparent but logical solution was actually possible!

This game is so good!
You can do something different and meet him again and getting honor instead of cash.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Is there a way to manually pick shots in deadeye or does it just automatically mark targets you aim over? Honestly hate that because in moving over a guy to target his head, Arthur will put five rounds in him just going up his body.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a way to manually pick shots in deadeye or does it just automatically mark targets you aim over? Honestly hate that because in moving over a guy to target his head, Arthur will put five rounds in him just going up his body.

You need to keep playing, dead eye will change as you progress.

jayvo

Oct 27, 2017

This isn't fun.

I'm not having fun.

This is pretty hilarious though.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't fun.

I'm not having fun.

Controlling your character in this game is very different to other games, and takes a long while to actually get good at it. Everything just feels really awkward for, not gonna lie, a good many hours, but if you stick with it you will eventually get proficient at it and will hardly ever fumble your way into an untimely death.

For combat, you really gotta go for headshots at all times.

I know it's not a short amount of time, but I'd at least recommend you play through to the end of Chapter 3 before deciding whether or not to give up on the game. Chapter 3 is the first real non-tutorial chapter, the story picks up considerably more momentum, and there's a lot of great moments especially at the end of that chapter.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Can someone remind me what chapter is best to stop on for all your exploring needs?
2, 3 or 4, depending on how many available skills you want to have (some things aren't introduced in Chapter 2, for example). Most people recommend Chapter 3 as the best time for really adventuring through the world and taking on the challenges, but I think it's great to do a bunch of them throughout and just use story missions to break up the monotony. It's really a personal preference.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
When i was younger i can sit through the story and take everything in but now that im older i just don't have the patience to. I'm not sure why... the game play is fun though.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Can't find the rdr2.exe in the process list of that BES program to limit the cpu.

Also, CPU bottlenecked (GPU usually in 80s) :(

2e3345ba1dea28c0854c9936b746245f.png

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone remind me what chapter is best to stop on for all your exploring needs?

I'd say 3, because by that time you'll have practically everything "introduced" to you. But 2 is also a great place but since the story is pretty lax and "canonically" I think it makes sense there the most. Later chapters feel wrong to not focus on the story.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the 5 seconds long stutters, the game is running ok for me, 95% of the time I'm above 60 fps 1440p

but ffs, if I have to redo the online tutorial...

EIyhf2bX0AMmhFD

Are you looking for it while Red Dead is on in the background? If so try ordering the list by CPU usage and it should show up at the top of the list.
Yeah, went through everything it isn't there for me :(

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Each one of them. Explore the areas near you, do any side missions that pop up first and then advance the main story. I'd recommend taking your time with chapter 4 though as that's where you will generally be able to access everything conveniently.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

The game usually puts your bigger guns on the horse when you start riding it. It's annoying because you need to remember to grab them off it. Two pistols, melee weapons and throwables will remain on your person so just make sure those guns are maintained and you have enough bullets for them.

It's also a good idea to make good use of the consumables in this game to keep your meters filled. You have to pretty much smoke like a chimney or your collection of Premium Cigarettes will fill up quickly. There's not much need to conserve any consumables because they are just lying around everywhere if you bother to rummage through cupboards in empty houses. Horse reviver is the only one worth actually buying.

If you have any pelts or carcasses that you want to sell or take to the camp I recommend doing that right away when you get them as those are easy to lose if you die. I think some of the legendary pelts needed for crafting stay with you but you just can't sell the rest of the animal for money if you die. It's no big deal as you can get more than enough cash in this game to buy whatever you need.

I recommend finding the treasure map stuff as that's a quick way to make money and figuring them out is very satisfying, probably my favorite part of the game along with the bounty hunting missions.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
OH, FUCK THIS

3VUOK1d.png

Was literally at the marker to deliver the fucking horse in the online mission

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm asking for a refund, but it'll be tough.

I used a gift card and bought it from GameStop, then activated on the Rockstar Store.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
I am completely unable to rescue Sean in the 'The First Shall Be Last' mission. I get to the point where I'm supposed to look at him on the boat through binoculars but the mission never progresses. I see on YouTube that he's supposed to be taken off the boat but that never happens in my game. Really hope this isn't game breaking. Can't find anything online about this issue.
Now I'm also unable to complete the Black Belle mission. I've taken countless photos of her in different poses but the mission won't end and there's no way to back out. Getting the feeling I've got some game-breaking bug...

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Now I'm also unable to complete the Black Belle mission. I've taken countless photos of her in different poses but the mission won't end and there's no way to back out. Getting the feeling I've got some game-breaking bug...

I'm not 100% sure but those might not end until later on in the game. I remember having some similar confusion with them.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Think I need to turn down volumetric stuff, I can't see shit in the desert with all this fog/blown sand

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Can't find the rdr2.exe in the process list of that BES program to limit the cpu.

Also, CPU bottlenecked (GPU usually in 80s) :(

2e3345ba1dea28c0854c9936b746245f.png

You need to be running the full game already, not just the Rockstar Launcher. I run the limiter as soon as I click 'play' on the game, and limit rdr2.exe by -2% before I load into my main story save.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I am completely unable to rescue Sean in the 'The First Shall Be Last' mission. I get to the point where I'm supposed to look at him on the boat through binoculars but the mission never progresses. I see on YouTube that he's supposed to be taken off the boat but that never happens in my game. Really hope this isn't game breaking. Can't find anything online about this issue.
while you are looking through your binoculars, go in options and change the game to windowed. It should work.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
You need to be running the full game already, not just the Rockstar Launcher. I run the limiter as soon as I click 'play' on the game, and limit rdr2.exe by -2% before I load into my main story save.
I was, it ended up working after I closed the game down and restarted.

Didn't fix my stutters though.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol I can't play the fucking game anymore.

Can't start it without launcher (wtf, Rockstar?!?), launcher wants to download update before launching the game, update download ended with error for the fifth time or so now (at about 80%, and always resumes back at about 30-40%).

This really is PC gaming at its worst. Haven't had such a miserable esperience with a PC game in years to be honest.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Is it normal my character starts the Red Dead Online mode with knife only after talking to that lady?