• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you double dipping?

• Yes

Votes: 521 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 365 28.3%
  • This is my first time playing the game

Votes: 405 31.4%

• Total voters

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Left click to aim? How do you shoot then?
The controls are whack that I'm still trying to figure out. It seem like when you lock on to someone you left click to aim and left click to fire again. But when you are not locking on to anyone then it's right click to aim and left to fire like every shooters out there. The issue I run into is when I'm riding around and some guy comes out of the bush and demands money. My character will auto "lock" on that person and it's left click to aim and fire. I hope someone can explain this better.
Are the controls rebindable?
Alright, the way it seems to work is the following:
  1. Draw your gun. You can do this a number of ways: select it from the weapon wheel; press the corresponding number key; press Tab to draw your last used weapon; or right click and then left click to draw (ie. what you guys are referring to).
  2. Fire from the hip without fine aiming. You fire more rapidly but your aim is not as good. This only requires a left click while your gun is drawn: no right click required.
  3. If you hold right click, you're in fine aim mode which is more accurate but doesn't fire as fast.
  4. Most guns are manually loaded weapons as opposed to semi-automatic or automatic. When fired in fine aim mode, you will have to left click to load the next bullet into the chamber. This 'empty chamber' state is signified by your reticle becoming a dark grey. After you've clicked, you're now ready to fire again, and your reticle returns to a light grey colour. All of this means that firing your weapon actually requires you to left click twice: once to fire and once to load the next round. If you fire from the hip, however, you don't seem to have to do this chamber load step, and you can fire rapidly.
  5. Dead Eye mode. Middle click while aiming to slow down time and automatically mark enemies under your reticle. You can mark as many times as you have bullets. Left click or running out of possible shots triggers your firing.
Having said all of that, to make sure that I'm getting the right gun, I almost always draw my weapon using the weapon wheel. The advantage of this method is that you can also see if your weapons are equipped... since the game has a habit of de-equipping your larger guns and putting them back onto your horse. Once I'm certain that I have my weapons equipped, I will often swap weapons using the number keys.

Controls are rebindable but you have to load into a game first. It's strange that you can't rebind right from the main menu.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Look man can somebody just tell me how it controls on PC?

Honestly I already thought the game looked amazing on base PS4. I just couldn't actually play it. Not just the controls, but the entire UI pissed me off. Literally the number one reason I'm planning to get it on PC is mouse and keyboard.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Honestly I already thought the game looked amazing on base PS4. I just couldn't actually play it. Not just the controls, but the entire UI pissed me off. Literally the number one reason I'm planning to get it on PC is mouse and keyboard.
I found that the mouse sensitivity, even at the lowest possible ingame setting, was so high that I was doing 180s trying for basic movements, so I think you also have to look at the DPI setting for your mouse specifically. But I only tried it for a minute, I've been primarily playing with an Xbox 360 controller.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It controls wonderfully. m+kb is a exactly what this game needed.

The UI is identical though. Not sure why you'd have expected that to be different though?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Keyboard and mouse is way better for gun fights, good for map movement, but shit for menus and shopping.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
There was a lovely post before about when you should start working towards the legendary satchel, and it was in chapter 2.

How long is that chapter? I mean, half of the things are locked at Pearsons'. Can't return animal carcasses for instance.

And, is there a reason why my perfect X pelt didn't register in a certain satchel's requirements, as it showed 0/1 for that particular item?

Kinda puzzled on how far I should go with the game. Are the Dutch missions the only ones that actually push things forward towards chapter 3?

Thanks!
Chapter 2 goes on forever. It's like 10 hours. Every yellow mission is main story and must be completed to finish the chapter

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and so will Steam.

Hmm, really? So it wont be like GTAV on Steam where you can launch it through there, just like any other game?

What's the reason for waiting for the Steam release at the moment then? Will Steam, with it's userbase allow for a more robust online experience (more players, etc) or does that not matter since it's all being filtered through the R* launcher in the end?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, really? So it wont be like GTAV on Steam where you can launch it through there, just like any other game?

What's the reason for waiting for the Steam release at the moment then? Will Steam, with it's userbase allow for a more robust online experience (more players, etc) or does that not matter since it's all being filtered through the R* launcher in the end?
Nope online play is connected regardless of which launcher you use on PC.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So is there really a reason to wait for Steam? Other than having 99% of my games in one launcher?
I think buying it from Steam is the only way to be able to launch it from Steam, if that matters to you. And their refund policy is second to none when it comes to digital storefronts. If neither of those matter to you and you want to play now, then yeah jump in. Keep in mind though that the current build is a bit buggy

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It will be like how Ubisoft does things. You'll own the game on Steam, but the game will still require the other launcher to run it. They recently patched GTAV to require the launcher to be installed/run from Steam as well.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Does anyone know if the game is constantly autosaving after every little thing like Dark Souls when not doing a mission? Or when is it safe to quit? I assume Rockstar wants you to just use the autosave because they keep displaying jarring overwrite warnings when you do manual saves and then the game tries to autosave again.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It controls wonderfully. m+kb is a exactly what this game needed.

The UI is identical though. Not sure why you'd have expected that to be different though?
Keyboard and mouse is way better for gun fights, good for map movement, but shit for menus and shopping.

God damnit. The book interface "looks" neat and makes sense, but can't a PC port for once just let me click on shit instead of having to wrangle the E or WASD keys or whatever?

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, that was a nice bug there partner. I robbed the pharmacy back room and got caught, naturally. I surrendered, but after spending a few nights in jail as soon as I stepped out of the jail the police began shooting me again and I couldn't lose them. No matter where I went they were able to follow me and keep shooting.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
What are the best trinkets/talisments to go for early game (Chapter 2 ish)?
Buck Antler should be your top priority. The most important thing in the early game is crafting satchel upgrades so you can increase your carrying capacity, and all of them require perfect pelts. The Buck Antler trinket maximizes your odds of getting perfect pelts. The Ram Horn trinket is also nice since it doubles the amount of Thyme, Oregano and Mint you harvest, but with such limited satchel space early on, that's not a huge priority anyway. As you build satchel space, that becomes great since those are the three herbs you can use for seasoning at a campfire. Pro-tip; big game meat (from bears, wolves, alligators, cougars and panthers) plus seasoning when cooked at the campfire will refill all your cores completely and bring one core into gold based on the seasoning chosen (mint for health, thyme for dead eye, oregano for stamina). It's the best way to keep your cores maxed in the early game until you start hoarding miracle tonics.

Beyond those, the bonuses from the trinkets are hardly noticeable, so I don't think you need to prioritize any of them. But getting them is fun and certainly not a bad thing to focus on early in the game.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love how nice everyone is on this.

Was coming into Tumbleweed and saw another player so whistled to say hi. My horse then ran me into a wall like a fucking idiot, anyways, as I'm getting up the player picks my animals up and puts them back on my horse for me.

What a game <3

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I fucking love how nice everyone is on this.

Was coming into Tumbleweed and saw another player so whistled to say hi. My horse then ran me into a wall like a fucking idiot, anyways, as I'm getting up the player picks my animals up and puts them back on my horse for me.

What a game <3

Yeah, I'm happy to see the types of players this game appeals to. I also had a few good interactions with randoms.

I did have one hilarious encounter with my first asshole player last night though. I was stuck in a loading screen but I guess my character still appeared in the game world. I heard this dude on voice-chat calling me a pussy for being in defensive mode. That I should, "join a PvE server"......What? Lol. He continues to call me names and another random player asks, "what's defensive mode?" I begin to explain to him how to activate it with the asshole player trying to yell over my voice, "DON'T SAY ANYTHING PUSSY!!". I finally load in, the guy kills me so I parley with him, then spawn far away and posse up with the player I helped out then go off and help him with some missions he needed to finish. All while that guy is yelling at us in the background. Lol. Finally, I explain to the guy I'm helping out how to adjust the chat channels in-game to posse members/friends only. Back to riding around peacefully in the Wild West. Haha.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm happy to see the types of players this game appeals to. I also had a few good interactions with randoms.

I did have one hilarious encounter with my first asshole player last night though. I was stuck in a loading screen but I guess my character still appeared in the game world. I heard this dude on voice-chat calling me a pussy for being in defensive mode. That I should, "join a PvE server"......What? Lol. He continues to call me names and another random player asks, "what's defensive mode?" I begin to explain to him how to activate it with the asshole player trying to yell over my voice, "DON'T SAY ANYTHING PUSSY!!". I finally load in, the guy kills me so I parley with him, then spawn far away and posse up with the player I helped out then go off and help him with some missions he needed to finish. All while that guy is yelling at us in the background. Lol. Finally, I explain to the guy I'm helping out how to adjust the chat channels in-game to posse members/friends only. Back to riding around peacefully in the Wild West. Haha.
Yeah, those assholes will get bored and fuck off soon. Same happened on consoles.

I wish we still had text chat from GTA though, it was helpful, besides the odd clown.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Buck Antler should be your top priority. The most important thing in the early game is crafting satchel upgrades so you can increase your carrying capacity, and all of them require perfect pelts. The Buck Antler trinket maximizes your odds of getting perfect pelts. The Ram Horn trinket is also nice since it doubles the amount of Thyme, Oregano and Mint you harvest, but with such limited satchel space early on, that's not a huge priority anyway. As you build satchel space, that becomes great since those are the three herbs you can use for seasoning at a campfire. Pro-tip; big game meat (from bears, wolves, alligators, cougars and panthers) plus seasoning when cooked at the campfire will refill all your cores completely and bring one core into gold based on the seasoning chosen (mint for health, thyme for dead eye, oregano for stamina). It's the best way to keep your cores maxed in the early game until you start hoarding miracle tonics.

Beyond those, the bonuses from the trinkets are hardly noticeable, so I don't think you need to prioritize any of them. But getting them is fun and certainly not a bad thing to focus on early in the game.
Thanks, will make Buck Antler my next task.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man I was having horrendous crashes every 10-30 minutes of play, but switching from DX12 to Vulkan has entirely fixed my problem. Runs the same and I haven't had a crash since.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Realized most of the crashes are due to having several players around. Crashes way more often during multiplayer matches than out in the open.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good Boy

0_0.jpg

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Alright, the way it seems to work is the following:
  1. Draw your gun. You can do this a number of ways: select it from the weapon wheel; press the corresponding number key; press Tab to draw your last used weapon; or right click and then left click to draw (ie. what you guys are referring to).
  2. Fire from the hip without fine aiming. You fire more rapidly but your aim is not as good. This only requires a left click while your gun is drawn: no right click required.
  3. If you hold right click, you're in fine aim mode which is more accurate but doesn't fire as fast.
  4. Most guns are manually loaded weapons as opposed to semi-automatic or automatic. When fired in fine aim mode, you will have to left click to load the next bullet into the chamber. This 'empty chamber' state is signified by your reticle becoming a dark grey. After you've clicked, you're now ready to fire again, and your reticle returns to a light grey colour. All of this means that firing your weapon actually requires you to left click twice: once to fire and once to load the next round. If you fire from the hip, however, you don't seem to have to do this chamber load step, and you can fire rapidly.
  5. Dead Eye mode. Middle click while aiming to slow down time and automatically mark enemies under your reticle. You can mark as many times as you have bullets. Left click or running out of possible shots triggers your firing.
Having said all of that, to make sure that I'm getting the right gun, I almost always draw my weapon using the weapon wheel. The advantage of this method is that you can also see if your weapons are equipped... since the game has a habit of de-equipping your larger guns and putting them back onto your horse. Once I'm certain that I have my weapons equipped, I will often swap weapons using the number keys.

Controls are rebindable but you have to load into a game first. It's strange that you can't rebind right from the main menu.

This is spot on. There are also some guns that are semi-automatic so you don't need to chamber the round. It takes some time getting used to but I appreciate that such a detail is there.

If you got the Ultimate Edition or maybe also the Special Edition you can buy some guns from Valentine's weapon shop for free. Saves a good chunk of money and you can get some useful and good stuff early.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just dispatched a camp of O'Driscolls and decided to make use of their well appointed camp and get some sleep. Arthur is then awakened to his head in the mouth of a Grizzly Bear who wanders into the camp and eats him while he is sleeping. I love the moments of pure unscripted lunacy in this game...

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
OK, so I quit out of game during a late portion of an early mission and when I came back to it just now the game had restarted my progress to the very beginning of like a 30 minute long mission??

Is that a bug with this version or is the game seriously not going to let me checkpoint midway throughout the game without making me start missions over every time. Super annoying.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
OK, so I quit out of game during a late portion of an early mission and when I came back to it just now the game had restarted my progress to the very beginning of like a 30 minute long mission??

Is that a bug with this version or is the game seriously not going to let me checkpoint midway throughout the game without making me start missions over every time. Super annoying.

You have to manually save to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen.

The game's auto-save system is quite bad.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember seeing the game could be had for cheap before release. Is it still available for a lower price?

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Chapter 2 goes on forever. It's like 10 hours. Every yellow mission is main story and must be completed to finish the chapter
Alrighty, thanks. I'm kind of puzzled with the game. I mean, I'm doing all sorts of things while "doing stuff" beyond the quests and its silly how I haven't even learned to fish yet. I've looked to buy a fishing rod everywhere. Only this weird bait thing thats locked. And, I've come across some mighty fine fishing areas. Legendary.

Anyway. Found myself a horse.

source.gif

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, unfortunately you can't really save during missions in this game. It sucks

Alrighty, thanks. I'm kind of puzzled with the game. I mean, I'm doing all sorts of things while "doing stuff" beyond the quests and its silly how I haven't even learned to fish yet. I've looked to buy a fishing rod everywhere. Only this weird bait thing thats locked. And, I've come across some mighty fine fishing areas. Legendary.

Anyway. Found myself a horse.
Yeah, the problem with the way this game handles tutorials is that it actually locks things away until you've done the appropriate tutorial. Like fishing for example, I don't think you can do that until you've done the mission where they introduce you to it, which is probably like 2 hours before the end of Chapter 2. Its annoying, but basically if you want to have the whole game and its systems available to you as soon as possible, it's best to just beeline through all the main missions in Chapter 2