• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gobsmack

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 5, 2019
It's not cool how you talk down to people who obviously have legitimate performance concerns and suffer game breaking bugs. I'm starting to see more and more of this behavior from you. 23 pages of people reporting various issues and bugs, but according to you the port is amazing and one of the best ever. It has gotten so bad that people who voice problems with the game get silenced by those who keep quoting your Twitter posts claiming that port is great and people who have problems are morons and idiots.
Because people are spewing legit false statements

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded, launched, and played the game for a few hours last night without any issues. Performance was okay at 3440x1440 (2080TI here). Was anywhere from 50-70. Like an ape I just maxed everything out except MSAA, so I will tinker with it tonight. Don't need everything on ultra but I just wanted to see what my baseline performance was. And it felt fine (thanks gsync) so really I don't have any complaints, except I would like to turn up the resolution so yeah, gonna play with the settings.

All in all, I'm super happy just to be able to play this with a mouse. Could not enjoy this game at all on PS4 due to the controller shooting. Just couldn't get comfortable with it.

Alias

Oct 31, 2017
I'm using TAA medium + 15% nvidia sharpening through the control panel.
MSAA would be the goal, but it is not achievable on current hardware (at least above 1080p). FXAA on top of TAA make the game to blurry and FXAA alone isn't good enough imo.

Would 15% nvidia sharpening be 0.15 on the text box beside the sharpen slider? Also i assume this would work only with DirectX12 and not with Vulkan

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game have its own performance monitoring options? Injecting overlays to Vulkan/D3D12 games can interfere with async compute queues - though I think DOOM running on AMD is the main game which has been affected until now.
And while it is useful for performance testing, I hope you don't have Afterburner constantly monitoring all of those things while playing the game. You should set up a preset that disables everything except maybe GPU utilization (let RTSS handle FPS/frame time instead). Enabling the profiler panel in Afterburner can give you an idea of how much each monitor costs to run.

No, the game has no performance metric system.
Thanks for the tip about async compute. I have the polling period set to 3000ms normally and am using the overlay mostly to check initial performance in a new game and occasionally temperatures while gaming.
I'll follow your advice.

Would 15% nvidia sharpening be 0.15 on the text box beside the sharpen slider? Also i assume this would work only with DirectX12 and not with Vulkan

No idea how the nvidia sharpening really works, but it makes more of difference than the ingame sharpening option (unlucky not visible on screenshots).
To my surprise it also works with Vulkan, but you have to inject it with Geforce Experience in game (ALT+F3)

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea why the frames seem to tank in the Horseshoe Overlook camp?

Particles? Trees? Grass? Something else?

I'm on 7700K/1070/16GB RAM so pretty much all of my settings are on Medium@1440p (with the Resolution Slider down to make it like 1080p internally). I can get 60FPS outside of it but once I get into that area it just drops between 10-15 frames and nothing I change seems to have any real positive effect to make it better.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Disaster for NV? Nah.

I have been getting great performance from my 2080Ti @ 3440 x 1440 resolution that I play at. FPS being where one would expect from looking benchmarks, recommended settings for good balance and then looking at where my FPS lands at my resolution.

AMD most likely will never compete with NV at high end of dGPUs as they have indicated that they don't have interest to. Even if they did it wouldn't magically make gen to gen performance gains be that 30-40% from way back when.

congrats, you get performance a bit faster than amds gpu that costs 25% the price of your card. theres also the pascal gpus, which are what most nvidia users will be using.

Last edited:

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Semi-related: Is anyone having issues updating their MSI BIOS? Every time I try to update via the M-Flash option, it restarts to a black screen and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete back to the regular BIOS menu. I read a tip suggesting hitting F6 to reset to default settings before you flash, but I still end up with the same problem.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Watch out with that border fix for ultrawide that was posted a few pages back. I had an issue where a cutscene wouldnt load and couldnt progress with the mission because of it.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Very happy with performance now. Playing pure first person having had a playthrough on the 1X at release. Headshots galore, it's amazing, it feels epic and looks ridiculous. Settled for all high, textures ultra, TAA only for AA. 2160p native at.83 internal and water slider at half. We'll see how that last one goes.
Turn off the HUD and play first person.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You most certainly would be able to. A 7700K with a 1080ti should provide at least performance on par with Xbox One X, so lowering your settings to match the console should at the very least give you similar results, if not better.
Did you just compare 7700K + 1080Ti to XBX performance? Yikes!

First of all 7700K is immensely more powerful than XBX's CPU. Secondly, XBX GPU is comparable to RX 580. 1080Ti is about twice as powerful.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Did you just compare 7700K + 1080Ti to XBX performance? Yikes!

First of all 7700K is immensely more powerful than XBX's CPU. Secondly, XBX GPU is comparable to RX 580. 1080Ti is about twice as powerful.

Given the recent reports within this thread, I was merely explaining that he should have no problem running the game at least on par with the Xbox One X, if not better. How is any of what I said "Yikes" worthy? I have no doubt he'll be able to have better visual fidelities in the end, but did you watch the recent benches by Gamer's Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, etc? 4K30 @ high settings isn't exactly a stable affair even on a 1080Ti...

Edit: Also, weren't you the one arguing just a few hours ago that RDR2 on PC was broken, that people had legitimate performance concerns and all? If so, why would you even be surprised about the modest affirmation I've said in my previous post? wtf?

Last edited:

Steev-veetS

Nov 26, 2017
France
You shouldn't be using Avast. It has broken Windows 10 updates more than once - and it's not the only anti-virus to have done so.
There is little if any reason for anyone running Windows 10 to use third-party anti-virus or anti-malware software rather than Windows Defender - so long as you have the cloud-delivered protection enabled.
It was in my to-do list but never took the time to uninstall avast.
Thanks for the friendly reminder :)

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
Played online a bit and the story at 4K HDR on a i7 4790k + 2080 ti, worst fps in story was 28 during the intro, 36 online during rain. Averaging in the 40s with the average worst dips into the low 30s in the story, perfectly playable to me. Running most settings at Ultra except TAA with 75% sharpen and no motion blur on Vulkan API, didn't bother testing DX12.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Played online a bit and the story at 4K HDR on a i7 4790k + 2080 ti, worst fps in story was 28 during the intro, 36 online during rain. Averaging in the 40s with the average worst dips into the low 30s in the story, perfectly playable to me. Running most settings at Ultra except TAA with 75% sharpen and no motion blur on Vulkan API, didn't bother testing DX12.

I have the same CPU as you but using a GTX1080. Is your CPU not bottle necking you at 4K - I would have thought so?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I played a lot of online lats night and I had such a good time. I do buy into the meme that high on this game is ultra on pretty much every other game. The game looks gorgeous and far better than it did on the ps4 pro. I basically have no problems with the game at all right now. No stuttering or lag or anything. It runs very well for me. I didn't have to lower anything when I started playing online either and I am still doing a hybrid Ultra/high graphic set up. I'm getting 55fps consistent and I could probably lower some things still to improve performance and not see much of a difference. I think running the game on Ultra for everything is a fools game. I'm 1440p with 8700k and a 1080ti btw.

I still have to have my antivirus turned off which is very irritating and something I don't have to do with any other game and the fact that so many are still having random errors from not being able to start the game to online errors really pisses me off. I also fear that their ineptitude will have them patch the game and maybe even break it for people that have managed to tweak enough to make it work.

One thing that has screwed so many people is switching to dx12. That has caused so many to not even be able to load the game and at one point I almost did that myself. It sucks enjoying a game that is doa for so many because it hurts the game long term and will eventually hurt those of us that do have it working. This needs to to be all hands on deck at Rockstar and not these "how to fix" faqs they are releasing.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was able to get 4k60 with a little tweaking last night. Overall I'm happy with the performance with a 2080Ti and a 6600k.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Water physics really tanks performance huh? I wonder why?

I have managed to get a solid 30fps with everything at ultra using 4k and 5/6 resolution scale (just using TAA) on a 1080ti/3970x but can't do it with water physics at full as it drops frames to 25 at times.

One notch down though and it's a solid 30, at least during the first 30 mins of the game, using Vsync and triple buffering with rivatuner to cap at 30 for better frametimes.

I don't mind the 30 cap as I am playing on my 4KTV, would rather 60 tbh but it seems undoable without lowering the graphics quality too much.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
In order to easily share and compare RDR2 settings, I'm working on an online parser that takes the system.xml file from your RDR2 folder and parses it into a nice, pasteable chunk of text to use on reddit, forums etc.

As you see, I'm only halfway through the settings, and I've got to go out soon. I'll continue later tonight. If anyone wants to put in a PR (the code is quite simple, if you know the basics of JS), go ahead :)

Oct 30, 2017
TAA is a game changer. Ignore FXAA and MSAA.

For anyone interested, I'm averaging 40fps @4k with the following settings. (1080ti, 8700k, 16GB 3000mhz DDR4, and a 1TB SSD Crucial)

This game is breath taking at times. Visually better than PS4 Pro at these settings

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Has anyone else had the problem of the mouse cursor stuck in the middle of the screen? Can't get rid of it.

Still getting random freezes, seemingly related to when my CPU hits 100%. On an i5-6600k, on Vulkan. But can't try out DX12 because the game doesn't even launch when I change that setting.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I GOT IT WORKING OMG

so uh

i9-9900k
RTX 2080
64GB DDR4
Samsung 970 Evo M2 SSD

maxed out EVERYTHING in 1080p, the bench mark gave me an average of 30fps lmao

do we have a consensus of shit to turn down/off that isn't super noticeable that can get performance up a bit?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
No, 2/3 or 66 or 67% is the closest.

See my post above but I'm not convinced the resolution scale setting scaled both axis.

When I go up to a 1.5x resolution scale, I only see a ~25% drop in performance. If it were scaling both axis I'd expect framerates to be 2.25x lower (1.5 x 1.5). My performance numbers are much more in line with single axis scaling, or perhaps the scaling factor is totaling the scaling over both dimensions. Hence a 1.5 scale might be actually a 1.22x scale in both axis.

I'm really curious to learn how the scaling works. Has anyone tried 0.5x scale on a 4K monitor?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I GOT IT WORKING OMG

so uh

i9-9900k
RTX 2080
64GB DDR4
Samsung 970 Evo M2 SSD

maxed out EVERYTHING in 1080p, the bench mark gave me an average of 30fps lmao

do we have a consensus of shit to turn down/off that isn't super noticeable that can get performance up a bit?

Start by setting everything to High. Set textures to Ultra. Set water physics to 50% or less (I have mine at 1 bar in). Don't touch the rest of the advanced settings except for resolution scale, which can really improve IQ at 1080p.

One sec, I'll find the settings I posted ysterday for my 2070 Super, which shouldn't be far off your 2080.

Oct 27, 2017
I played a lot of online lats night and I had such a good time. I do buy into the meme that high on this game is ultra on pretty much every other game. The game looks gorgeous and far better than it did on the ps4 pro. I basically have no problems with the game at all right now. No stuttering or lag or anything. It runs very well for me. I didn't have to lower anything when I started playing online either and I am still doing a hybrid Ultra/high graphic set up. I'm getting 55fps consistent and I could probably lower some things still to improve performance and not see much of a difference. I think running the game on Ultra for everything is a fools game. I'm 1440p with 8700k and a 1080ti btw.

I still have to have my antivirus turned off which is very irritating and something I don't have to do with any other game and the fact that so many are still having random errors from not being able to start the game to online errors really pisses me off. I also fear that their ineptitude will have them patch the game and maybe even break it for people that have managed to tweak enough to make it work.

One thing that has screwed so many people is switching to dx12. That has caused so many to not even be able to load the game and at one point I almost did that myself. It sucks enjoying a game that is doa for so many because it hurts the game long term and will eventually hurt those of us that do have it working. This needs to to be all hands on deck at Rockstar and not these "how to fix" faqs they are releasing.
Concerning the DX12 switch and not being able to launch the game, deleting everything in the settings folder (Documents/Rockstar Games/Red Dead Redemption 2/Settings...delete everything in here ...it will regenerate when you start the game again but at default settings) will/should allow you to start the game again at the default settings.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Start by setting everything to High. Set textures to Ultra. Set water physics to 50% or less (I have mine at 1 bar in). Don't touch the rest of the advanced settings except for resolution scale, which can really improve IQ at 1080p.

One sec, I'll find the settings I posted ysterday for my 2070 Super, which shouldn't be far off your 2080.

Awesome, thanks!

I'm looking to play at a rock solid 1080p/60fps since I've already put in a good 1000+ hours into the Xbox One X version at 4K/30, and will still be going back to that version regularly for Red Dead Online anyways.

gimme dem sweet sweet frames

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting. Sorry I forgot to post the last bit of advanced settings. I leave everything at their defaults except set water physics to 1/4 and set resolution scale to 1.5x

My settings:

9hIYeVH.png

sLzkOxk.png

E8PkTsi.png

(note actual FPS here 75. screenshot lowers FPS)
p51xQsw.png

(note actual FPS here 75. screenshot lowers FPS)
FEhrehc.png

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks!

I'm looking to play at a rock solid 1080p/60fps since I've already put in a good 1000+ hours into the Xbox One X version at 4K/30, and will still be going back to that version regularly for Red Dead Online anyways.

gimme dem sweet sweet frames

Definitely try tweaking things until you can manage a 1.5x resolution scale. It makes such a huge difference in the detail you see in the landscape, especially with TAA and FXAA as they tend to blur the image somewhat. 1.5x resolution is the sweetspot where I can no longer notice the TAA/FXAA blur.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing you're playing KB/M? Using a controller it feels the same imo. That same heavy feel. It was always about all the interactions and movement that I thought gave it that weight. You can have instant aiming yes, but the rest of the game feels just the same.

I never play with kb/m as I comfy couch. Elite series 1 all day.

Try going into your settings, changing deadzone to 0 and acceleration to 100. That's what made it instant for me.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Also I noticed that screenshots don't seem to capture the resolution scaling? Not sure if that's the case. I'll try again tonight with a 2.5x resolution scale just to be sure. But when I'm playing, the difference between 1080p and 1.5x resolution scale is massive. In screenshots the difference isn't as noticeable. Maybe it mostly improves the temporal elements of TAA which aren't as noticeable in screenshots?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The distance that this game can render grass boggles the mind at times.

How do they do it?

Also, I noticed that having the Instant Replay feature enabled in the ShadowPlay overlay was one of the larger causes of Vulkan based framtime hitching for me. Turned that off and the issue mostly went away. Haven't tested it while recording normally yet, so not sure if it's present while recording.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Well I caved this morning and ordered from GMG and I am downloading while at work. I am really hoping I can fiddle withe graphics settings and get 1440p with acceptable performance out of my 4790k and RTX 2060 because 1080p looks a little rough on my 27" monitor. Anyone else playing this on a RTX 2060?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Well I caved this morning and ordered from GMG and I am downloading while at work. I am really hoping I can fiddle withe graphics settings and get 1440p with acceptable performance out of my 4790k and RTX 2060 because 1080p looks a little rough on my 27" monitor. Anyone else playing this on a RTX 2060?

Try pushing for 1.25 or preferably 1.5 resolution scale. It really brings the image back to full clarity.