• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I made some comparisons screenshots.

This is the highest preset availabe with no further tweaks at 1440p. GTX 1070, Ryzen 3600.
Efv08DR.jpg

This is the lowest preset available, but I left textures on ultra and without disabled features like tesselation, long shadows. Doesn't look bad at all.
RbcB8Co.jpg

This is the same as above, but tweaked to find a compromise between the highest setting and the lowest.
03Iz8NY.jpg

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
When I go up to a 1.5x resolution scale, I only see a ~25% drop in performance. If it were scaling both axis I'd expect framerates to be 2.25x lower (1.5 x 1.5). My performance numbers are much more in line with single axis scaling, or perhaps the scaling factor is totaling the scaling over both dimensions. Hence a 1.5 scale might be actually a 1.22x scale in both axis.
Hmm interesting, perhaps scaling isn't as straight forward here. I would examine further but i haven't bought it yet.

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
So what is up with hdr in this game? I've tried every possible setting I can think of, but it kind of turns grey as I go into the game.
It says it's on and the tv shows hdr is being shown, but it's just greyish, colors not popping like they should. I got to a point where it was on in the game, but if any outside prompt from windows or anywhere else shows up, the image goes grey again.
When I try the hdr calibration I can make the white logo disappear, but the black never gets hard to see.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
So what is up with hdr in this game? I've tried every possible setting I can think of, but it kind of turns grey as I go into the game.
It says it's on and the tv shows hdr is being shown, but it's just greyish, colors not popping like they should. I got to a point where it was on in the game, but if any outside prompt from windows or anywhere else shows up, the image goes grey again.
When I try the hdr calibration I can make the white logo disappear, but the black never gets hard to see.

I'm in the same boat. A couple of people seem to have got it to work, but it looks extremely dark for me aside from the peaks which make me squint.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

The HDR on this game has always been weirdly desaturated. I don't know what is going on there. I would try setting the HDR to the "Game" mode if it exists on the PC version.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Further to my stutter problems, I booted the game up and played for... quite a while at a pretty smooth 50-60fps. Things only went to shit again once I ended up back in Valentine and then the stutter continued basically anywhere I went. I swear it got worse/more frequent the longer I played too, so maybe there's a memory leak?

Was monitoring my frames on this play session, and the stutter cuts anywhere between 10-30fps without much rhyme or reason. It still happens even if I'm angling the camera straight down at the ground and doing nothing.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
What settings would I need to use to get a locked V-Synced 1080p 60fps with a Ryzen 5 2600 and a GTX 1070, both running at stock clocks? I have 16GB of RAM and the game would be installed on an SSD.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
TAA really seems to kill texture quality. I tried MSAA but it runs like garbage and causes weird issues with shadows

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The HDR on this game has always been weirdly desaturated. I don't know what is going on there. I would try setting the HDR to the "Game" mode if it exists on the PC version.
Already tried. The hdr goes away when I even breathe on the settings. Now I can't get it to work no matter what I do. Hope it gets fixed.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Man what the absolute hell is up with Rockstar and menus. I already thought GTA 5 PCs menus were super weird and stuttery and then this is slow mo as hell? You make games that look like this but menus are the most busted in the history of mankind.

Edit: And same as GTA 5 for me, once you're in-game the menus work perfectly! What the heck.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm running on an i5-8400, 32gb of ram and a GTX 1080

Running the game in 1440p at a mix of med and high and it's running mostly fine...

Well the benchmark was mostly stable at 60 except for the snow scene where it drops in the 40s but then the whole intro for the game is also in the snow so it's difficult to get real gameplay performances without playing a bit of the story.

It's still really fucking pretty at medium/high tho!

One thing I have noticed however is that the faces have a bit of a plasticky look? Not sure if there's a specific setting I could adjust to fix that?

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
I'm running on an i5-8400, 32gb of ram and a GTX 1080

Running the game in 1440p at a mix of med and high and it's running mostly fine...

Well the benchmark was mostly stable at 60 except for the snow scene where it drops in the 40s but then the whole intro for the game is also in the snow so it's difficult to get real gameplay performances without playing a bit of the story.

It's still really fucking pretty at medium/high tho!

One thing I have noticed however is that the faces have a bit of a plasticky look? Not sure if there's a specific setting I could adjust to fix that?

Hmm I have 8600K and OC GTX1080 so is it possible that you can share your settings somehow? I'm not counting for 4k and 60fps but 1440p sounds promising...

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ive been at work. Have they fixed the launcher crashing preventing some of us from playing yet? The update they released last night hadn't worked for me.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Used that BES program to throttle my CPU by 2% and that has gotten rid of the 5-10 second long freezes every couple minutes. Game runs fine now at Medium settings on a 1070 and an i5 7600k. Still some stutter and I had one crash so far but managed to get into chapter 2 finely.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do you guys think because of how fast they announced pc version, they couldn't take their time doing proper pc version, like Gta 5?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Do you guys think because of how fast they announced pc version, they couldn't take their time doing proper pc version, like Gta 5?

They had a year to develop it and this is the end result. I can't think of anything but executives wanting this to get released before the holidays and they would have needed several months more to make it work properly.

beeswax

Oct 30, 2017
Ive been at work. Have they fixed the launcher crashing preventing some of us from playing yet? The update they released last night hadn't worked for me.
Nope, still the same for me. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of. My OS, drivers and BIOS are all up to date. I've tried disabling Windows Defender as well as some of the more obscure Win10 security features (core isolation, exploit protection) to no avail. Why are Rockstar silent on this matter?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Still in the prologue.

Specs:
AMD 3900X
NVidia 1080ti
64 GB RAM
1 NVMe SSD

Settings:
NVidia Experience Optimized Presets to start
1 bar on water physics
Ultra on textures, trees, grass
Rendering Scaling 1.5x
TAA max
FXAA off

The framerate seems to average okay but there's significant pacing issues that causes a stutter. I'm hoping it's the damn snow effects, can't wait to be done with the prologue, I don't like it.

Last edited:

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I made some comparisons screenshots.

This is the highest preset availabe with no further tweaks at 1440p. GTX 1070, Ryzen 3600.
Efv08DR.jpg

This is the lowest preset available, but I left textures on ultra and without disabled features like tesselation, long shadows. Doesn't look bad at all.
RbcB8Co.jpg

This is the same as above, but tweaked to find a compromise between the highest setting and the lowest.
03Iz8NY.jpg
Do you mind listing what settings you used for the "compromise" screenshot?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Hows performance today? M/Any patches?

Same as yesterday for me, which is passable but it could be a lot better if we knew the magic settings to get there.

The pause menu rendering bug somehow got fixed. I haven't been paying attention to the build # of the game, but maybe it got patched with a continuous delivery model?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why can I not just launch from the fucking exe? Why let me put one on my desktop for fucks sake

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Was able to get a pretty good 4k 60 on a 2080 Ti with stock settings and some stuff turned up. Game looks so good at 4k 60fps. There are some dips into the mid 50s but with Gsync they're not noticeable. I checked this even in Saint Denis, so unter pretty heavy load.

However the game keeps crashing, so I'll be refunding it for now.

Edit: One thing I have to say, someone said earlier input lag was not improved compared to consoles. That's not true, input lag is miles better. It feels really responsive. Animations are still what they are, yeah, but turning the camera and stuff all feels nice.

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
Medium settings + Ultra Textures in this game actually look pretty good (hell even Low settings don't look that bad all things considered)

If they can just patch the game/have driver updates to have some better overall performance or optimization I'd be ok

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I installed a new bios for my motherboard and I can now launch Red Dead Redemption 2 on my Ryzen 5 3600 system.

Version - 7B89v1C3(Beta version)
Release Date - 2019-11-06
File Size - 9.22 MB
Description

- Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54)
- Improved system boot up time
- Improved PCIE device compatibility

I saw a new bios dropped for the MSI B450 Mortar. AGESA 1.0.0.4.B

I'm gonna start my PC back up and try it.
Wow... Saint Denis in the benchmark is basically ghost town... this is some insidious bull**it on R* end for pushing for better results on benchmark sites...

I'm going to give this game a good test when I progress further in the story. I would like to test the i7 2600K and RX 570 again.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody tell me how well the keyboard and mouse controls work in first person?

The whole reason I decided to wait for PC was because I couldn't stand the game pad controls.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I'm feeling rather lucky. I'm having no issues with crashes (yet) nor the mouse cursor bug. Even HDR works just fine.

Ryzen 3700x, RTX 2080S, X570 mobo. Everything is up to date, including video driver and BIOS.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
hoping i can get some decent frames with mid-high settings with 1070ti - 1440p

I wish i wouldve spent more. I see myself needing another gpu upgrade within the next few months.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Oof, the crashing makes me want to wait for multiple patches. Rockstar games are notorious for long missions without being able to save, not risking that time if it's prone to crashing.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are a handful of games—and I think other Rockstar games such as GTA V are on that list—that have an issue with the way they handle repeated keyboard inputs which causes camera movement to stutter.
The fix for those games is to open the "Ease of Access Center" in the old Windows Control Panel and bring up the keyboard options.
There, you want to go to the "Filter Keys" options and set up "Repeat Keys and Slow Keys".
"Avoid accidental key strokes" should be set to 0.0 seconds, since you don't want it ignoring inputs, but you should set it to "ignore all repeated keystrokes".

Now holding down a key will only send a single constant input rather than repeating, which fixes the problem in affected games.
Holding down the right shift key for eight seconds will toggle the feature on/off after the initial setup.
Hopefully that will fix the issue in RDR2 as well.

If someone is able to confirm this, hopefully Dictator would be able to highlight the problem in a Digital Foundry video to get Rockstar's attention.

Mouse control in Max Payne 3 is broken, and has been from day one.
They released a patch that claimed to fix the mouse acceleration issues it had, but it did very little; there is still significant negative acceleration.

Will give it a shot and report back, thanks.

I found Max Payne 3's mouse aim to be "fine" as long as you have a steady frame rate, but if it wobbles the mouse sensitivity flies off the handle at low FPS. Not really an issue these days but definately miffed me a bit at release

Lowest preset in this game still looks really good, not as good as the consoles, but not gouge your eyes out worthy, very much playable (with textures set to Ultra at least). Comparison here -