• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
When I updated my nvidia drivers it reverted my receiver setup from 5.1 to stereo so I was only getting 2-channel audio despite having a surround setup. You might double-check your sound settings in Windows to make sure they're outputting correctly.
Thx that worked, it was getting really annoying hearing Dutch stand in front of me but talk in my left ear.

Kaotic

Oct 23, 2017
New York
I've been getting around 90fps @ 1440p with most things ultra or high with a 2080ti and 9900k.

It sucks that the performance dropoff seems to be so steep and so sudden, though. Hopefully they get some performance patches out soon.

WHAT?! Can you DM me screenshots of your settings or something? I have the exact same setup as you and I'm barely hitting 60fps with dropping things like shadow and water quality.

I have:
1440p/144hz
2080TI
16GB Ram

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the mouse has a deadzone issue. It definitely felt weird in combat.

That's what I'm thinking as well, but it doesn't make any sense to have forgotten something like that in there and at the same time have like 3 different mouse input settings and a mouse acceleration slider. This problem shouldn't exist.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm thinking as well, but it doesn't make any sense to have forgotten something like that in there and at the same time have like 3 different mouse input settings and a mouse acceleration slider. This problem shouldn't exist.

I wonder who did the port. GTA4 on PC had horrible deadzone issue where you had to move the mouse quite a bit for the reticle to move. Max Payne 3 and GTAV didn't have this issue and now RDR2 it has come back. Someone on reddit suggest changing it to direct input instead of raw, but like you my game crashes when I exit the control menu. Going to try it again when I get home and see how that works.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WHAT?! Can you DM me screenshots of your settings or something? I have the exact same setup as you and I'm barely hitting 60fps with dropping things like shadow and water quality.

I have:
1440p/144hz
2080TI
16GB Ram

Yeah I'll check in a few minutes. This was my initial benchmark result after first launching the game, just for reference:

w6vKnqO.png

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Now, in RDR2, I have a suspicion it might only be scaling 1 axis. So a 1920x1080 x2 might be 1920x2160 internally.
I counted the pixels, using 0.75 in-game scaling on 1440p. It outputs almost perfectly 1920x1080. Definitely not on one axis only.

What exactly does the Resolution Scale do? I've honestly never understood that; clearly it's not the same as just changing resolution. Trying to get the game to play well on a mix of Ultra/High textures and good resolution.
In addition what exodus said, there's one major advantage of in-game scalers over using simply a different than your native resolution: UI elements render at your native resolution and are crisp as they can be wheras everything else is rendered at higher or lower resolution. You don't have to use custom resolutions or Nvidia's DSR (when downsampling), the latter can be blurry due to Nvidia's downscale method.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any solid PC/console comparisons yet? Namely PC on the highest settings (like draw distance), and the best console build (Xbox One X, I think?)?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Do we have any solid PC/console comparisons yet? Namely PC on the highest settings (like draw distance), and the best console build (Xbox One X, I think?)?

Got to wait for DF for that probably. Draw distance looks near infinite to me on Ultra though and volumetric lighting on high/ultra is no longer grainy as fuck as it did on console.

Sadly assets and textures didn't seem to get much improvement, if any at all.

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded an almost 3 GB patch for the game. Only thing I've seen that it may address is the issues where having certain anti-virus programs installed can mess with the game or whatever it was

That seems like a pretty big patch just for that one issue...any other info on if the patch involved anything else?

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Switching to Vulkan makes it run way better, but all my menus are totally bugged out (the bottom half of them don't show and they flicker)

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Re: water settings.

I recommend:

Refraction - medium
Reflections - medium
Physics - 1/4

At low settings, refraction is an issue and looks poor. At medium, it looks good. Above that is seriously diminishing returns. Even the reflections look just fine at medium. Bringing the water settings up to High yields a 10% performance loss and not that much of an increase in visual fidelity.

Physics at 1/2 are a bit weird. They're over exaggerated. At 1/2, whenever you enter a body of water, you'll see a big massive ripple that looks weird. At 1/4, it's far less pronounced and looks fine. At 0, there's no reaction. Anywhere above 1/2 incurs significant performance loss. Avoid at all costs.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Switching to Vulkan makes it run way better, but all my menus are totally bugged out (the bottom half of them don't show and they flicker)

That happens sometimes after you change a lot of settings. It'll either resolve itself over time or resolve itself once you restart the game.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Patch did nothing for me, still cannot launch the game
Same. Gonna try refunding if it's not fixed before the weekend, fuck this shit.
Yep updated the newest rockstar app and RDR2 patch and STILL getting the same error
joining team no-launch right here. Launcher exits unexpectedly error, no difference from before.
What are the hardware configurations for you four? OS and drivers, too. There might be a pattern here. Heck, your motherboard and BIOS might even be the culprit.

I'm not saying this information can fix your problems. Correlation doesn't equal causation, after all. But figuring out if there is a pattern could be beneficial to some degree.
Is there an option to turn off the vignetting? It looks bad in almost every outdoor screenshot I see.
Vignetting, chromatic aberration, lens flare, and camera blur are among the worst post-process effects used regularly in video games. All they do is obscure good artwork. The only time I've found chromatic aberration to be even remotely justifiable is when it's used to simulate looking into an actual camera, like in Resident Evil 7 or Outlast.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I also recommend turning the full resolution SSAO option off. It incurs a maybe 5-10% performance penalty for little visible gain.

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say thank you to everyone on here who are helping to figure out what the settings do (and don't do). It's been a huge help.

After I started the game yesterday I pretty much regretted my purchase and felt like an idiot for buying the game but after a day to kind of cool off and see what people are saying to help I think I'm alright with it. I still wish it would have launched in a bit better shape but fingers crossed they get good patches out quickly to address stuff.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else noticing this? Was it present in the console versions? Notice the square shadow.

tqymAy1.png

rare

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy razed went ahead and shared me his settings config and I'm actually able to run the game at native 4k at around 45 fps on my 2080 while still looking way better than one x.
If you guys want, I can DM the settings file.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Re: water settings.

I recommend:

Refraction - medium
Reflections - medium
Physics - 1/4

At low settings, refraction is an issue and looks poor. At medium, it looks good. Above that is seriously diminishing returns. Even the reflections look just fine at medium. Bringing the water settings up to High yields a 10% performance loss and not that much of an increase in visual fidelity.

Physics at 1/2 are a bit weird. They're over exaggerated. At 1/2, whenever you enter a body of water, you'll see a big massive ripple that looks weird. At 1/4, it's far less pronounced and looks fine. At 0, there's no reaction. Anywhere above 1/2 incurs significant performance loss. Avoid at all costs.
Love posts like this. Thank you

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Patch probably has more than the 1 item listed, I believe its 12 builds newer. You don't build a game this big 12 times for 1 change.

Just restarted with the update, fps is smoother.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know if it's the patch but with DirectX 12 my performance got a lot better. No more stuttering especially in Valentine and keeping 60 fps with VSync on medium/high settings at 4k.

Jijidasu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Been following this thread here and there since it went up but haven't noticed anyone talking about the odd "stripping" effect FXAA has on vegetation and distant trees. Anyone know why this is?

I've resorted to using TAA on medium as high seems to be extremely blurry in motion. I've heard some users mention using geforce freestyle(?) to add some sharpening to the image - how does this differ from reshade solutions? I have geforce experience downloaded but I cannot get the geforce freestyle menu to open up in game, instead I get a message telling me to restart the game (to no difference).

I'm running the game on a 2080TI and 9700K at a resolution of 3440x1440. Performance wise it hovers around 55-60 with everything at ultra par water physics being one notch down. I haven't noticed any difference between DX12 and Vulcan, either.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
My take after last night. Rdr2 is highly unoptimized on PC at launch especially for Nvidia cards due to improper driver support. AMD cards that my 1080ti usually smokes were beating it by 20%. I am shocked cause of how well Max Payne and GTA V were optimized on pc.

My hope is as drivers and patches are released things will get better.

Worst part is the benchmark Rockstar asked all sites to use to talk about performance prelaunch is actually less demanding than the actual game.

Specs:

Intel 8700k
Nvidia GTX 1080ti
16gb ram
Win 10
GSync running at 1080p
Variable settings that don't seem to help if turned down

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I have played about 8 hours on these settings.
Completely locked 60fps at 4k (80% render res) Even in St Denis.
GPU usage usually around 80% up to high 90s. Looks great and way better than the ps4 pro version.
2080ti on water @ 2115mhz
2700x @ 4.2
16GB 3200cl14

<snipped screenshots>
I might try these settings out (nice screenshots by the way), but I am curious at leaving Particle Quality at Medium? Another source I saw suggested that it had virtually no impact on performance, so don't worry about cranking it up (don't know how reputable they are though); have you noticed it impacting performance on your rig?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
New patch did nothing for me, game is still runs okay for a bit and then turns into a stuttering mess. If I pause for 15-20 seconds, then it's fine again for a couple of minutes, then starts stuttering again.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm. Gotta play around with TAA a bit. At Medium with a 1.5 resolution scale, I don't notice any significant decrease in quality over high. Nets maybe 3-4% more performance.

I'm probably done for the night, but as for now, I think I've settled on a decent set of settings for an RTX 2070 Super on a 1080p monitor (or 1440p if you ignore resolution scale).

Use Vulkan and set mouse to DirectInput.

Set everything to high. Textures to ultra. Water reflections and refraction to Medium. TAA to Medium. FXAA on. Resolution scale 1.5. Water physics to 1/4. 99% of the time above 60fps so far. Can drop to ~58-59fps in the camp. Game is 100% smooth.

Only times I get any frametime variance is when my 6700K spikes to max, which is fairly infrequent so far.

I might try 1.25x resolution scale with NVidia sharpening tomorrow. That would ensure 70-80fps+.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, successfully launched the game...finally. I followed all the steps and recommendations and the final thing that worked was to delete the settings folder.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lmao. I tried the benchmark and after Arthur starts driving the carriage it got stuck between some objects and couldn't end properly. Had no idea that could happen.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmmm. Gotta play around with TAA a bit. At Medium with a 1.5 resolution scale, I don't notice any significant decrease in quality over high. Nets maybe 3-4% more performance.

I'm probably done for the night, but as for now, I think I've settled on a decent set of settings for an RTX 2070 Super on a 1080p monitor (or 1440p if you ignore resolution scale).

Use Vulkan and set mouse to DirectInput.

Set everything to high. Textures to ultra. Water reflections and refraction to Medium. TAA to Medium. FXAA on. Resolution scale 1.5. Water physics to 1/4. 99% of the time above 60fps so far. Can drop to ~58-59fps in the camp. Game is 100% smooth.

Only times I get any frametime variance is when my 6700K spikes to max, which is fairly infrequent so far.

I might try 1.25x resolution scale with NVidia sharpening tomorrow. That would ensure 70-80fps+.
As someone with a very similar build who is also very sensitive to frametime variance, I owe you one, man. Thanks! Will probably just use your settings verbatim.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
If anyone with an RTX 2070 is interested, this is my graphics config. For now, in a single game session since chapter 1 until Uncle mission in Valentine (chapter 2), the game worked at 60 FPS with only a couple of slowdowns to 55-57. If someone thinks I can improve it by lowering or setting something higher, let me know please.

reddeadredemptioniisc17jok.png

reddeadredemptioniisc3kkc0.png

reddeadredemptioniisc5fj3e.png

reddeadredemptioniiscg2jf9.png

(I haven't switched to Vulkan because I've heard that Turing cards gain better performance with DX12 than Vulkan in this game).

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so for me, it is definitely the DX API setting that is preventing the game from loading. I deleted the settings folder and it loads the graphics defaults and the game starts up. I can reproduce the crash every time with only changing the API From Vulcan to DX. I think they fucked something up in their DX12 implementation that is affecting some system configurations.

EDIT just to note what I running:

Fully up to date Windows 10 64bit​
Latest Nvidia drivers​
Lastest game/launcher patch​
8700K​
2080ti​

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I noticed Global illumination and Lighting takes a bigger performance hit than previously expected/measured. It doesn't seem to change much perfomance-wise in outdoor scenes, but I found an indoor scene where going from both ultra to medium didn't change almost nothing visually but gave an almost 13% performance boost! You might want to check that feature and see for yourself.

Lighting and Global Illumination on medium:
htDGl9H.jpg

Both settings on ultra:
PR6CwY1.jpg

Surprisingly, medium settings look bit better to me due to a bit higher contrast.