• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I have a 2080, but nah, I get cpu bottlenecked and it drops into the 50s and high 40s

Yeah I've got basically the same setup (2070 Super) and basically same results. Even overclocked to 4.4ghz doesn't do much.

That said I've been having a decent time capping to 30fps and cranking almost everything to max at 4K.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've got basically the same setup (2070 Super) and basically same results. Even overclocked to 4.4ghz doesn't do much.

That said I've been having a decent time capping to 30fps and cranking almost everything to max at 4K.
Yeah, 4.4 here too

On the online I've been getting over 60 fps tbf, but I've been in the desert so far

Constant crashes though

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Shadows on Ultra seems like a necessity. Otherwise, you're left with some really low resolution shadows in cutscenes. I noticed some interior shadows also don't draw on High. Interiors have a lot more depth with Ultra shadows.

Setting lighting quality to medium seems to compensate for most of the performance difference, and I don't really notice the visual difference in lighting between Medium-Ultra.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
ezgif-3-f5b6e29223a1cfk43.gif

Dark Souls poop walk nod in the game? Nice.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Same here. Trying it out in safe mode worked. Although you will have to re-enter all of your desired setting/options all over again!

Here's the other thing about safe mode as well, it renders graphics at a lower fidelity (from what I have seen) and once you engage it, it remains in safe mode on every subsequent launch (if going by the system.cfg file that is.)

I thought my game was running ok but was getting pop ups and low textures all over the place, so I removed the system config file as it was showing that it's in safe mode, then once I tried booting the game again, crash on logo screen, refused to go past it, once I put the sys file back it's working again but in safe mode, very strange, am redownloading it now, have removed everything, including the launcher for a clean install, not holding my breath that it will get past the launch screen though because I think it may have been running in safe mode this entire time.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking about the problems people are having and they are not limited to any gpu. I checked a couple pages back and found this

This looks like an combination of Low, Medium, High settings with textures at Ultra. and i'll repeat, textures are vram dependent as this member also pointed out. The game set to it lowest with Ultra textures looks like this.

We shouldn't be jumping to conclusions based on crappy youtube screenshots :)

You're putting all focus on the visuals. The drops to mid 20's in that video are the bigger issue, paired with the other issues (especially with i5's and the multi-second freezes and stuttering), it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience to play. Granted we don't know what each and every setting is in that video.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
sooo im afraid to ask. hows this run on a 970?

dont plan on upgrading my card for another year or so (house hunting and waiting for next gen)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
sooo im afraid to ask. hows this run on a 970?

dont plan on upgrading my card for another year or so (house hunting and waiting for next gen)

at 1080p, paired with a i7 2600k, my friend is getting around 40-45 fps with mostly medium settings. I reckon with further tweaking 50-55 could be possible, but i dont see stable 60 unless you reduce the rendering res from 1080p to 900p. Targeting locked 30 fps is pretty easy though with higher settings.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Wait is this not normal? Arthur does this for me every single time, it's the weirdest thing
Happens to me too, but I saw a benchmark run from someone else with slower hardware in youtube and his run speed was normal throughout. Maybe it's a timing issue where faster hardware forces Arthur to run slower to compensate? Lol, no idea.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
at 1080p, paired with a i7 2600k, my friend is getting around 40-45 fps with mostly medium settings. I reckon with further tweaking 50-55 could be possible, but i dont see stable 60 unless you reduce the rendering res from 1080p to 900p. Targeting locked 30 fps is pretty easy though with higher settings.
oh that's not to bad. might wait a bit and see if some of the patches clear things up a bit more.

i have a Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00 GHz. I'm guessing that's a bit faster than your friends cpu? (i read up on this stuff when i was building a few years ago but haven't retained any of it).

thank you!

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I am still getting the launcher error 'failed to initialize' and I've reinstalled, reinstalled, updated, patched, ran as administrator, ran in safe mode, updated amd drivers, etc.

What the fuck

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
oh that's not to bad. might wait a bit and see if some of the patches clear things up a bit more.

i have a Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00 GHz. I'm guessing that's a bit faster than your friends cpu? (i read up on this stuff when i was building a few years ago but haven't retained any of it).

thank you!

yeah, the 6700k is faster, so you'd have a little extra performance for sure.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You're putting all focus on the visuals. The drops to mid 20's in that video are the bigger issue, paired with the other issues (especially with i5's and the multi-second freezes and stuttering), it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience to play. Granted we don't know what each and every setting is in that video.
You drew an egregious visual comparison with the PS4 version. Own up to that.

Performance concerns are real but then the video is showing the game running on a laptop. Rockstar has not listed any laptop specs in the official requirements. All parameters are less than ideal for judging PC performance.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Popping back with some performance impressions.

i7 9700K @ 5GHz
16GB
2080Ti

Game is at 3440 x 1440 with settings on High pretty much across the board with ultra textures and lowered that water slider to 50%. FPS seems to be between 60 and 75 FPS depending on area and weather, but mostly around 60 FPS. In few spots seen short dips into high 50s. No stutter or freezes. Had that weird crashing around stables before, but fast ran through that part and it was fine.

rdr2_2019_11_07_21_21h4jiw.png

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Popping back with some performance impressions.

i7 9700K @ 5GHz
16GB
2080Ti

Game is at 3440 x 1440 with settings on High pretty much across the board with ultra textures and lowered that water slider to 50%. FPS seems to be between 60 and 75 FPS depending on area and weather, but mostly around 60 FPS. In few spots seen short dips into high 50s. No stutter or freezes. Had that weird crashing around stables before, but fast ran through that part and it was fine.

rdr2_2019_11_07_21_21h4jiw.png
By any chance are you using the pillar box removal mod? I'm only a couple hours into the game but the pillar/letter boxing is really obnoxious and I'm seriously considering giving it a shot.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I really really doubt they could've just missed the game pausing for seconds during QA.
I'm at 123mins on EGS if it ain't addressed by Saturday I'm requesting a refund. Not touching till then.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
New BIOS update seems to have fixed the launcher crash for me, now I can't launch because of a lack of privelages. Turned off antivirus, set it to run as admin, nothing yet.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
New BIOS update seems to have fixed the launcher crash for me, now I can't launch because of a lack of privelages. Turned off antivirus, set it to run as admin, nothing yet.
Did you checkmark the things under compatibility on the exe before? Think I read that some people had to revert those.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
All these launcher issues are crazy. I hope we don't get into a world where every damn publisher wants their own launcher in PC. That actually might push me back towards console gaming. Or at least get them working and set up alright like Uplay.

If anyone is running on an ASRock board and having problems presumably due to the lack of a proper AGESA 1.0.0.4 update, someone is posting beta builds of their motherboards on the ASRock forums. A big YMMV on this one, and obviously update to a beta bios at your own risk.

Thanks. I grabbed the 5.93 beta bios for my x370 taichi board and will update it if there isn't a regular bios out by steam release. My copy of assassin's Creed Odyssey has been crashing at startup since the latest update as well and I wonder if it is related to the same thing as rdr2.

Last edited:

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I dont know what happened but im running 4K 60 fps with a mix of low-high settings on a 2080S.

Buut, fur looks like crap and so does the horses textures.

All my settings got mixed up somehow, but hey before i was rolling at 30 fps.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

thank you!

A 6700K absolutely trounces a 2600K. Over twice the speed.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
You drew an egregious visual comparison with the PS4 version. Own up to that.

The 'egregious' comparison was made secondary in my post where I acknowledged medium textures in the first sentence. Other things like foliage, filtering etc are separate from base texture resolution however.

And as a gaming laptop owner, I would hope more developers are friendlier to them too.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else seeing rectangular shadows on face closeups in cutscenes? It's really annoying. I have shadows on ultra. No idea what the cause is.

ZsLzgu2.png

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh so I didn't know this was possible but it seems like the Xbox app takes up a nontrivial amount of GPU usage? I had the app open and booted up RDR only to find that I was getting 45 FPS and hitting 99% GPU usage in Valentine when I would normally get a rock solid 60 fps and about 80% GPU usage. For a minute I thought there must have been an update to RDR itself that ruined performance, but even just ALT-tabbing out and closing the Xbox app fixed it

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know what happened but im running 4K 60 fps with a mix of low-high settings on a 2080S.

Buut, fur looks like crap and so does the horses textures.

All my settings got mixed up somehow, but hey before i was rolling at 30 fps.
Yeah the horse textures are real bad even at ultra (don't remember them being on console) as are a lot of distant textures and miscellaneous objects. It's weird

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
I keep seeing that i5 processors may have issues? What sort of issues should we expect (I have an 8600K)?

Seconds long stutters

Are us i5 users just out of luck when it comes to stuttering?

Even with all the tinkering and smooth performance, the 3(?) second long stutters are bothersome.
Quad-core i5 users should not use Vulkan. You'll get long pauses, massive stutters constantly with this. Switch to DX12 - it significantly improves frametime perf, and causes zero stutters under CPU limited scenarios.

Oct 25, 2017
Quad-core i5 users should not use Vulkan. You'll get long pauses, massive stutters constantly with this. Switch to DX12 - it significantly improves frametime perf, and causes zero stutters under CPU limited scenarios.
I've been using DX12, the stutters are nothing like they were on Vulkan obv but they're still there. Happens every 30-40 minutes or so, sometimes more frequently.
Overall my performance is good, the stutters are the only problem I have now.

All I can think of is that there needs to be a patch for this.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
it's mainly 4c4t i5's that are affected. 6c6t should be fine.

I have an i5-8400 that is 6c6t. When I first tried the game, on release day, I did get a 5 to 10 second freeze when I would enter valentine for the first time during a play session. I was seeing 100% cpu utlisation during those 5 to 10 seconds. After that first freeze, it wouldn't freeze or stutter again unless I quite the game and tried to go back to town.

When I switched from vulkan to dx12, that freeze stopped happening. Just a data point of 1.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Does anyone have a list of recommendations on settings? I have a 1060 6GB. If I want 60FPS and looking not poop what should I have in mind? (other than a new gfx card)