• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
This game man, wow...when it works it's great and M/KB made all the difference concerning how the gameplay (specifically the gunplay which felt terrible on console) feels. That said, how this made it to market in the technical state it's in is just unreal. Thought I had the Windows Mouse Cursor staying on the screen at all times fixed, but nope it's back after booting my PC this morning and the game crashed after 5 minutes of play as well.

Performance is exactly where I thought it was after running the benchmark (which actually seems like a real good measurement tool for this game), I said earlier that it was 60-80 FPS but stayed in the mid-60s for most of the time...benchmark came back at 66 FPS average.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
MSAA seems to be super demanding, personally I play on 1440p with TAA on medium, and it looks pretty damn good for me.

MSAA is similar to super sampling, if you don't have a top tier gpu just dont use it

You can probably force some less demanding AA via Nvidia Inspector and have a better result than TAA. TAA is really for higher resolutions

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
So Gsync + HDR is broken for me, or should say gets really bad results.

Running 4K everything maxed with a 2080 Ti @ ~2100-2150mhz (TAA, no Reflection MSAA) and using Vulkan as DX12 causes crashes on the benchmark for me.

-No G-sync / No HDR = ~42 FPS
-No G-sync / HDR = ~ 42 FPS
-G-sync ON in NVCP (V-sync OFF in-game and OFF in NVCP) / No HDR = ~42 FPS
-G-sync ON in NVCP (V-sync ON in-game and OFF in NVCP) / No HDR = ~ 42 FPS
- G-sync ON in NVCP / HDR ON = ~29-30FPS

So that is almost a 50% jump just in FPS from not having both G-Sync and HDR enabled. I think I will play with HDR ON and G-Sync off for now.

My next steps is to try and get SLI working. Following this thread closely to see what ppl can do. It seems that there is a slight change down the road official SLI support might come to RDR2 depending on what you read from this profile. Who knows if that really is the case, but hopefully the community can iron it out at least. The SLI Profile for The Outer Worlds from the community has worked out well so far for me.

https://forums.evga.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-SLI-Support-m3005252.aspx

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Are there any workarounds to avoid the Red Dead unexpectedly stopped working crashes? I REALLY want to play this game, but I don't want to be replaying missions because of dumb technical issues?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

Running 4K everything maxed with a 2080 Ti @ ~2100-2150mhz (TAA, no Reflection MSAA) and using Vulkan as DX12 causes crashes on the benchmark for me.

So that is almost a 50% jump just in FPS from not having both G-Sync and HDR enabled. I think I will play with HDR ON and G-Sync off for now.

My next steps is to try and get SLI working. Following this thread closely to see what ppl can do. It seems that there is a slight change down the road official SLI support might come to RDR2 depending on what you read from this profile. Who knows if that really is the case, but hopefully the community can iron it out at least. The SLI Profile for The Outer Worlds from the community has worked out well so far for me.

HDR is broken in general. Worse than consoles right now. Leave HDR off until (if) it's fixed.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
HDR is broken in general. Worse than consoles right now. Leave HDR off until (if) it's fixed.

How is HDR broken? Game Mode HDR version on my PG27UQ seems to behave how my XBX version did.

Cinematic mode does create a more dull image, and I would agree isn't really a good showcase for HDR unless you like the old de-saturated look and questionable tone mapping.

You do want to crank it up a little above what their chart tells you should in game. But highlights work well.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MSAA is similar to super sampling, if you don't have a top tier gpu just dont use it

You can probably force some less demanding AA via Nvidia Inspector and have a better result than TAA. TAA is really for higher resolutions
I mean, 1440p is one of the higher resolutions, no? And I have a vega64, don't know if there's an equivalent on the AMD app.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
How is HDR broken? Game Mode HDR version on my PG27UQ seems to behave how my XBX version did.

Cinematic mode does create a more dull image, and I would agree isn't really a good showcase for HDR unless you like the old de-saturated look and questionable tone mapping.

You do want to crank it up a little above what their chart tells you should in game. But highlights work well.

The only thing that works as it should is peak brightness, everything else is way off, especially color saturation. I've tried it multiple different ways and different brightness settings and each way looks awful, so I switch back to SDR and everything looks as it should.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I am hoping for today - it is a lot though. I hope people in the end can appreciate the amount of hours (and frustration, honestly) that can go into such a thing.
I didn't even have the game on PC (already played on PS4 Pro, but I'm a PC gamer too) but still I'm reading topics about benchmark and watching videos about it (like the new Rich video), it's a really fascinating game - tech and art wise - so I will really appreciate your video, like many others do ^^

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone get past the
attack on the braithwaite manor
misson?

I played it 2 times now, first it hardlocked my PC just at the end of it and now it crashed when trying to brake down a door.

Oct 27, 2017
Re-enabled everything (GeForce Experience overlay, Microsoft OneDrive) that I thought was causing my problems (Windows Mouse Cursor permanently in-game, random crashes) and rebooted. Cursor gone and game plays like a dream while seemingly being stable. At this point everything seems incredibly random so there is only hope of official fixes coming from RockStar.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017

I'm using an X27 monitor and I'm not seeing this. Difference between HDR on and off wih Gsync with negligible, maybe 1-2 fps.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What settings are you using for image sharpening? The leaves on your trees look pretty sharp. Some of them tend to melt into one blob for me even at 1800p and TAA sharpening.

Oh sorry, no this isn't on playable settings. I'm using 25% sharpening (Nvidia Control Panel), but those screens are downsampled from 5120x2880 (2x Resolution Factor). In general, there is no way to make Trees look good with TAA enabled in my experience. Downsampling is fine, but compare the two following screens.
One is downsampled from 5120x2880 down to 1440p with TAA, the second is at 1440p and 4xMSAA.

TAA + 2x Resolution Downsampling
Native 1440p + 4xMSAA

Even at way over 4k, TAA is loosing nearly all details in Trees. Just look at the tree on the right.
But MSAA is producing a lot of shimmering in motion, it's pretty bad. You can add FXAA to it, but details begin to fade away (again) and the shimmering is still there.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
1080p, I'm a normal pleb. Zero issues whatsoever with Vulkan, solved DX 12 hitching the same way than I did with Control. Its not the game, its windows

www.dsogaming.com

Here is how you can completely fix the annoying DX12 stutters, even with Ray Tracing, in Control

PC gamers can use Exploit Protection in order to eliminate all stuttering issues in Control, and we can confirm that this solution actually works.
OMFG THIS WORKS

DX12 and NO STUTTERS.

Uses 100% of my CPU in towns etc and zero stutters. FINALLY.

EDIT: leng jai do this

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
So I tried the "console" settings documented in the digital foundry video, at 4k with my i5-8400 rtx 2080 setup.

I got 40+fps in camp and valentine, and 50+fps out in the field. The main change I did to it was I kept TAA at high and kept long shadows on (no resolutions scaling).

I decided to prioritise performance and dropped resoultion scale to get more frames.

Yeah, trying to keep my performance around 60fps, and I don't need to put it any higher. The game looks super smooth with these settings on my 4k tv

If you are playing in 1440p did you set resolution scale to 0.66? It looks fine? I have have 4k tv and have put resolution scale to .80. I'm wondering what it would look like if I go lower.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway getting weird "shimmering" with trees? Like they flicker weirdly?

I was playing online so could be that.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I tried the "console" settings documented in the digital foundry video, at 4k with my i5-8400 rtx 2080 setup.

I got 40+fps in camp and valentine, and 50+fps out in the field. The main change I did to it was I kept TAA at high and kept long shadows on.

If you are playing in 1440p did you set resolution scale to 0.66? It looks fine? I have have 4k tv and have put resolution scale to .80. I'm wondering what it would look like if I go lower.
Oh, no, I didn't touch the resolution scaling actually LOL, just put the resolution to 1440p in fullscreen mode

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks stupidly good sometimes. Being able to run a game with these visuals at 70fps is absolutely insane.

eAH2oya.png

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the forest sections more demanding than the Snow sections? I have a solid 60 with some high and ultra settings but I'm still in the beginning of the game, asking in case i have to prepare myself for disappoinment lol

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
Oh sorry, no this isn't on playable settings. I'm using 25% sharpening (Nvidia Control Panel), but those screens are downsampled from 5120x2880 (2x Resolution Factor). In general, there is no way to make Trees look good with TAA enabled in my experience. Downsampling is fine, but compare the two following screens.
One is downsampled from 5120x2880 down to 1440p with TAA, the second is at 1440p and 4xMSAA.

TAA + 2x Resolution Downsampling
Native 1440p + 4xMSAA

Even at way over 4k, TAA is loosing nearly all details in Trees. Just look at the tree on the right.
But MSAA is producing a lot of shimmering in motion, it's pretty bad. You can add FXAA to it, but details begin to fade away (again) and the shimmering is still there.
Ah thanks. Even with 8xMSAA at 4k the shimmering looks pretty horrible. Also with FXAA and MSAA you notice a lot more LOD changes and pop ins.
So yeah TAA seems to be the only acceptable option.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone getting a weird "glow" or "white outline" around objects when they move the camera? (This is kind of hard to describe) I know I've seen this before in other games but never knew how to fix it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone getting a weird "glow" or "white outline" around objects when they move the camera? (This is kind of hard to describe) I know I've seen this before in other games but never knew how to fix it.
Could be either haloing from ambient occlusion, ghosting from motion blur or TAA, or oversharpening. Play around with those settings and see if the "glow" goes away

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone get past the
attack on the braithwaite manor
misson?

I played it 2 times now, first it hardlocked my PC just at the end of it and now it crashed when trying to brake down a door.

I fixed it.

After playing the mission for the third time and got the exact same lockup in the same cutscenes I decided to switch to Vulkan from DX12.

Vulkan is a stuttery mess on my part and so I had to play the mission with some serious hitching for the 4th time.... It finally worked.

After the mission ended I had to play for 30 more minutes with stutters and all because the game was still in a constant ''mission'' and I couldn't manually save.

What a piece of fucking shit port.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Took a stroll in Saint Denis during day and night time, fog and not. Lowest FPS went in any part of city was 57. So I guess I'm lucky with performance?

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz
16 GB
2080Ti

Game is at 3440 x 1440 @ High across the board with Ultra textures and that water slider at 50%.